Start by marking “Zeus is a Dick” as Want to Read:
Zeus is a Dick

Zeus is a Dick

In the beginning, everything was fine.* And then along came Zeus.

*more or less

It's about time we stopped respecting myths and started laughing at them - because they're really very weird. Did you know Aphrodit
Published November 5th 2020 by Hodder Studio

Start your review of Zeus is a Dick
Paromjit
Susie Donkin is one of the writers of the fabulous Horrible Histories and she takes some of the approach utilised there to give us a frenetically paced look at Greek Mythology and the Greek Gods. She casts a more critical, humorous and satirical eye on a subject that has more often than not been treated with more reverence than it deserves. This is an entertaining and fun read but the pacing was a little too much for me, resulting in me reading it in small chunks and it has to be said that Zeus ...more
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
*Rated 2.5/5 stars.

Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book via NetGalley.

Oooh boy. This book is something. Anyone who knows me will know I'm a huge Greek Mythology fan, and have a fair few of these recountings despite having read various versions by now. It's always interesting seeing how people tell the stories.

Susie Donkin very clearly states that this book is written through the lens of humour, which is pretty evident from the cover and title. It's fair to say yo
Sara
Sep 05, 2020 rated it liked it
We've all heard of the Greek Gods. They're dramatic, egotistical, and love a bit of drama. So why do we seem to swoon over them? Worship them? Back in the day, they were the source of salacious gossip amongst the Greek population. Someone to laugh about when your own life is just that little bit shit. Crops failing? Don't worry, at least you haven't been trapped in a net, naked, with your lover by your really ugly husband. Husband cheating? At least he hasn't had his way with every God/Goddess/h ...more
Adi Rocks Socks
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

Zeus Is A Dick is a very fun, conversational retelling of the Greek myths, primarily featuring stories which focused on Zeus, and all his despicable behaviour throughout history. Though this book takes a decently jovial tone, it doesn't forget to remind us in exactly what ways Zeus is indeed a dick.

Thanks to Rick Riordan and the plethora of memes out there, it's been very conveniently forgotten that the Greek Gods, especially the male ones, were terrible terrible people. While Riordan d
Sophie
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I always love reading new interpretations of the Greek myths and this was a fun one! Donkin quite rightly asserts that mythology has perhaps been taken far too seriously and her retellings attempt to return them to their true purpose, entertaining the masses. Keeping true to the original stories the updated language and modern references bring them right up to date.

Overall, it was an enjoyable take but I did find it lacking in structure. There’s a lot covered here and sometimes the order didn’t
Don Jimmy Reviews
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Zeus Is A Dick – now there is an eye catching title. So much so that when I heard about the book I immediately wanted to read it. This was further backed up when I found that it was written by Susie Donkin, who has written for great shows such as Smack The Pony and Horrible Histories.

So, before we get into it, how much did I know about Zeus and the other Greek myths before I began? Almost nothing. In fairness before I had read the book I couldn’t have told you if Zeus was Greek, Roman, or Norse.
Verity Halliday
Sep 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I’ve been reading a lot of Greek myth retellings recently, including Pat Barker’s The Silence of the Girls, Helen Morales’ Antigone Rising, Madeline Miller’s Circe and Natalie Haynes’ A Thousand Ships. I’ve become familiar with the capricious behaviour of the gods and the fates of the humans subject to their whims. And during these stories, it certainly crossed my mind that wow, Zeus was a complete dick.

So I was looking forward to Susie Donkin’s examination of Zeus’s dickishness.

Donkin tells us
Vivienne
My thanks to Hodder & Stoughton /Hodder Studio for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘Zeus is a Dick’ by Susie Donkin in exchange for an honest review.

“‘It’s about time someone called him out on all this’ - Hera, Goddess of Marriage, Wife of Zeus” - cover blurb.

The publishers sum up its premise well: “Ahh Greek myths. Those glorious tales of heroism, honour and... petty squabbles, soap-opera drama and more weird sex than Fifty Shades of Grey could shake a stick at! It's about time we stopped respecting m
Keith Chawgo
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Donkin’s new book is one of the most brilliant funny and informative book that I have ever read and although I will be chuckling for days afterwards, I have learned so much at the same time. She is a brilliant force to be reckon with and can’t wait to read more from this author.

Donkin’s new book is the story of the Greek Gods but instead of a dry story giving us a play by play of the history of the Gods, we get a fun, comedic joyride giving us the stories and histories that helps to put all the
Niamh
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a free e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

WOW, I HAD TEARS STREAMING DOWN MY FACE FROM LAUGHING SO MUCH AT THIS DAMN BOOK!!!

Susie Donkin has done an excellent job at retelling some classic Greek mythology in a humorous and engaging way, but also does a fantastic job at making them accessible for anyone who might not be too familiar with the Greek Gods and their dysfunctional family dynamics.

The modern references in this book are completely relatab
Bea Fitzgerald
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT CAN REDEEM 2020!!!

Carey
Oct 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, Hodder Studio and Susie Donkin for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Zeus is a Dick follows some of the most important stories within Greek mythology, from the birth of the world to the attempted coup led by the other Gods. The book focuses on them with a lightness, it makes them easy to digest and get your head around, as mythology can be incredibly confusing.

I want to start off by saying I really enjoyed this, the 'blurbing' from the other Gods and Goddesses imme
Jen (shitbookreviews.com)
I got this as a preview copy from the nice people at Netgalley. I will always be honest about a book no matter if I paid for it or not.

I love learning about mythology but, you know, hate reading dull-ass books. I’m fickle and that’s alright – I’ve come to terms with it. So when something comes along with the word ‘dick‘ in it, (I swear I’m in my 30s…) AND it’s written by one of the writers of Horrible Histories, I can’t not give it a go.

I’m going to say this right now – if you’re not familiar wi
Ukgardenfiend
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
I found this a difficult book to review because - I have read other stories about the Greek origins myths - which were also funny - and I have also read the Greek versions of the original myths and others that were in between.
Now trying to make sense of the Greek pantheon and origins myths is very difficult because they really got their imaginations going when they found they had gods/esses that didn't quite fit in - so they made them fit. Take Venus and her origins for instance. Just how did sh
Munch
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5
I was sent an arc of this book via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.
I had such high hopes for this, I just love books that make fun of mythology. At the beginning it had me highly amused and I thought 'I'm going to love this'. Unfortunately after awhile the modern pop references and modern life inserts into ancient Greek tales started to get on my nerves. Don't get me wrong, there were things that made me chuckle but there were also just as much that just didn't hit the mark with me.
Aoife
Oct 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020arc
Rather a disappointment, sadly.

I was hoping for a nice, funny take on Greek myths; there's plenty of humour in there, after all. And the author worked on Horrible Histories, one of the best TV series ever. What I got was a stream of consciousness ramble where all the myths are taking place nowadays, until they aren't for a joke; so Danae is rescued from her island by a match she made on Tinder, but Apollo's joke falls flat because he's referencing a band that doesn't exist (yet).

It's not even e
Nikki
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I’ve engrossed myself in Greek mythology recently, and this comic retelling from Susie Donkin of Horrible Histories fame was a refreshing take in what is seemingly becoming a crowded market. The style of writing really is something though... it’ll have a marmite effect on readers. If you love Horrible Histories or did as a child, then you may well love this style. I found myself torn - in some ways I loved the concept that Greek myths were passed down in part as entertainment, and this retelling ...more
Lucsbooks
Nov 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This was exactly what I needed to read right now. I got it this morning and didn't put it down until four hours after I opened it when I finished it.
This felt like exactly a Horrible Histories episode, except with a much fouler language and adult humor.
I really enjoyed the short chapters and I liked that despite my expectations I really, learned a lot about greek mythology. The Persephone and Hades chapter is not only my absolute favorite because they are about Persephone and Hades but because i
L A
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton and NetGalley for the advance review copy in exchange for an honest review.

I normally really like these irreverent takes on Greek Mythology but my enjoyment depends very much on the voice of the author. Natalie Haynes is an example of someone I like, she's funny and snarky yet faultless in her knowledge and I just "get" her sense of humour.

I just found the "voice" of this book too juvenile for my tastes which jarred a bit with the most certainly not youth appropriat
Pam Sartain
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Zeus Is A Dick by Susie Donkin is a rewritting of Greek myths, putting them into modern language and setting, as they would have been for the ancient Greeks. This means the gods and goddesses do things like using Google, swearing, and talking about swiping right.

If you've found Greek myths boring, then this might be a good starting point for you!

I found them entertaining, and a good reminder for some of the myths that I didn't remember, and the order they go in.

Zeus Is A Dick was published on 5t
Jeannette Modesto
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
I don't know what to say.
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!
Fleurtje Eliza
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of the book. Review in a few days.
Carrie-Anne
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hilarious

Susie writes in such a brilliant and funny way. Read in two sittings. Gutted it has ended.

Please write more Susie!
Moray Teale
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
This didn't work for me at all. The humour was repetitive and childish and in most cases shed no new light on the stories except to pack them full of swearing and the most basic lip-service to feminism. Sticking so determinedly with the ambition to be funny (and reader, this failed after the first few pages) meant that all those stories of violence, incest and rape sat very uncomfortably, mythological or not. I was expecting the writing to be a little bit more sophisticated than the provocative ...more
Kate: The Quick and the Read
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of the Greek myths so I couldn't resist this retelling of the old stories with a new spin - highlighting just how problematic Zeus' behaviour actually is! This is something I'd considered previously, but I really liked Susie Donkin's take on the stories. Donkin is one of the writers behind 'Horrible Histories', the brilliantly funny and informative children's TV series, so I knew I was in for a treat.

It's worth saying that although Donkin may be known for writing for children, this
Nov 15, 2020

• Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Café
  • Jeeves and the Leap of Faith
  • The Midnight Library
  • The Pull of the Stars
  • Little Doubt (DI Kelly Porter, #7)
  • Earthlings
  • Majesty (American Royals, #2)
  • The Chalet
  • Troy
  • A Girl Made of Air
  • The Betrayals
  • The Once and Future Witches
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • Poisoned
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • Mr Wilder and Me