Start by marking “How to Read a Person Like a Book” as Want to Read:
How to Read a Person Like a Book

How to Read a Person Like a Book

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  1,542 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
This unique and informative program will teach listeners how to "decode" and reply to non-verbal signals from friends and business associates.
Published May 27th 1994 by Fall River Press (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read a Person Like a Book, please sign up.
Alnutayfi I believe that the body language is something or feature born with us; because it's a psychological thing which we learn to know what does it mean.…moreI believe that the body language is something or feature born with us; because it's a psychological thing which we learn to know what does it mean. For instance, there are some known body language for a liar. His/Her body will show these gestures and he won't feel it or in another word, he/she cannot control that. Just like the heart beats :).
I hope that answered your 2nd question.
(less)

Rabab Al.aswad
#مراجعتي_للكتاب

نمر بحياتنا بالكثير من المواقف ومع الكثير من الاشخاص مختلفين بالتفكير والطباع والشخصيات واللغة والعادات والتقاليد والتصرفات.. مما يجعلنا عرضه لفهم بعض الامور بطريقة خاطئة او بخلاف مايعنيها الشخص .. وكذلك تعاملنا المتواصل مع البائعين والعملاء والمندوبين نحتاج احياناً لفهم لغة الجسد فمنهم من يصطاد في الماء العكر ولاسيما حين يكون المشتري شخص متردد ويسهل استغلاله او الخجول الذي يشتري مالا يرغب فيه وغيرهم من الامور.
نحتاج الى معرفة بعض الإيماءات الخاصة بالاشخاص المعروفين في حياتن
Gregg
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
There are many levels of communications going on when a person interacts with the world, verbal, physic, and body language. Try as a person might, they cannot monitor all of these channels completely. By being observant, one can gain a truer assessment of what a person is trying to convey. This book seeks to draw your attention to the body language of people, and gain a increase insight into their true mental state.

Party scenes are analyzed, couples in public are studied, students in a class ro
Eva Najeh
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I Read the translated version of the Arabic and it was boring !!!
Pelee_dawg
I enjoy reading about body language- it's hard to refute, since there have been so many studies to prove it. This book has a few great points. After reading it, I found myself in a meeting and the person on the other side of me did one of the moves and it was exactly for the reason the book stated (ear pull). It was exciting and it gave me an opportunity to stop talking and let the person tell me what they loved about the idea we were discussing.

On the other side, it's VERY dated (discusses smo
Christine
it's very interesting.. although there are words that i don't understand.
Nathan Albright
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge2017
It is quite well known among anyone remotely familiar with me that I enjoy reading books and that I have a great deal of interest in the problem of interpersonal communication [1]. This book is a particularly practical book, and an immensely worthwhile one for anyone who is a speaker or anyone who draws the sort of responses from other people that I have often done. It is a book on nonverbal communication, and is an attempt to help make people more responsive and observant to the tells of people ...more
Aurick Frederick
This book explains in detail how a body language spoken through out many situations, whether you are presenting, negotiating, or even on casual conversation.
Very informative with lots of pictures given for easier understanding
Sara
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Non- Fiction Readers
Non- Fiction is great! I'm starting to like non-fiction a lot recently, i have been reading a lot of books that teaches youngsters how to be good leaders when they grow up. How to be a servant leader?
Well, to begin with, this book is the start, the begining of this life lesson that can set you for life! This book is great because it teaches the readers how to read body language. What does a person's body language tell us about a person, you may ask. Addtionally, it can tell you many things, l
Linah
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of all the beneficial books I have read, this is definitely one of the top. It doesn't give you groundbreaking information but merely sheds a light on gestures we use everyday; gestures that we probably are already aware of intuitively.

I loved the chapter on how best to understand gestures; one shouldn't interpret gestures alone but in the gesture cluster they are in, as well as context and situation which will provide a better understanding. There was an explanation on gestures that "turn
Bookworm Amir
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
How To Read a Person Like a Book is an investment that will reap you rewards in far more ways than you can imagine.

This is a 'manual' of body language. It is simple, straightforward, and written in layman's terms. It does not go into all that academic talk which would bore you - and it is very concise. In addition, they contain sketches of body language situations.

A very enjoyable read that most definitely has taught me a lot on how to 'read' people. After reading this I can gauge a person/grou
oleeleeo
Well.. I re read this one and it has some useful information but I have read a few of these. I think it's a little dated maybe. Not that body language changes all that much but I have read more comprehensive books on the subject.

Joe Navarro would be good to check out for books in this genre. I also have another one (some woman who is a lawyer who picks juries' check my book shelf I forgot her name) is much more detailed and helpful.

Decent but not the best out there. Very basic intro at best.
priyadharshini  sridhar
this book was just fine. this book tells you how to read gestures. it is an informative book. but this book is not very interesting for kids. I think that adults would enjoy it better. if you are a person who is interested in activities related to speaking like debate and elocution I would suggest this book for you.
Maria Gad
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: human-dev

This was a good book. I thought this would be more in depth. Also, It doesn't add much to the basics of analysis, most of the things illustrated in this book is known to everyone of common else. I do believe that one gesture or posture has more than one meaning or referring.
Fatmah AlHaila'a
بالنسبه لي هالكتاب يعتبر مرجع
IamBeLewis
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very impressed with "How to Read a Person Like a Book" . Overall, it was very informative and straight to the point. I read it in one day, and afterwards, I felt like I sort of had the upper hand over people who don't constantly observe the body language of others. It makes for quite an interesting experience considering, I work around a bunch of different people from a bunch of different backgrounds. As George Carlin would say, " I've got a front row ticket to the freak-show". To keep thi ...more
Michael David
I'm not naturally sensitive or empathetic, so I like reading books that explain and pinpoint human behavior so that I can react and cope with others better. By knowing what people say through what they don't, it will help me better react to other people in conversations. I also become more cognizant of what I show these people, so that I can react accordingly.
Vincentius Ermo
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great books for everyone

The book covers the basic in identifying a hidden message behind the gestures of our counterparts.

It is great for everyone who wish to understand the other (e.g client, spouse, children, audiences, etc) in a better way, through the reading of the gestures.
Victor Liu
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good beginner's guide to everything to do with body-language. Very informative, and everything is categorised nicely into emotion clutters, but it could get a little overwhelming when you are overload with information. All in all, it's a good read to get you started with non-verbal cues.
Paige Wilcox
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting insights into how gestures are used to communicate
Rora
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
الترجمة سيئة جدا، وهو يحوي معلومات جيده ولكن ليست بالحجم المطلوب.
Meshal Alzhrani
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muaz Al Halabi (Moe)
Interesting and informative, yet somehow wasn't enough to satisfy me! The author repeated his ideas over and over again. However, it's a quick read so i recommend it.
Zlatan Koralski
Very basic stuff,only covering some main(and mostly known to an average person) body-language signs and explanations.Really expected more.
Keka
It's interesting. I just would want to know the evidence for all of these things. Have there been studies done that support that these gestures mean what they're telling me they mean? Also, if someone knows these things, how easy would it be for them to fool people into believing they mean something totally different than what their gestures are saying?

Idk... I'm always wary of books like this. I think gestures and body language can be relative to a certain culture or upbringing and cannot neces
Anindya
This is my first book on the subject and I think it was a good start. Some of the information are not really groundbreaking and are more intuitive-based but it is always good to be confirmed. However, I have a strong belief that culture plays part in how we react consciously and non-consciously. This is not really covered in this book. I like how they claim that "non-verbal signals vary from city to city, section to section, and country to country" (p.140). This somehow supports my belief but th ...more
Clare O'Beara
This is interesting because it sees people's body language from an American perspective and the previous books I had read on the subject were British.

For instance, we see that American men may sit with one ankle crossed across their knee, called the figure four position. Men here don't do that in general. I then tried it myself and found that you need to be wearing trousers with a little give in them and sitting upright on a straight supportive chair with no arms, not behind a desk.

The authors
Thomas R. Sinnott
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often consciously consider body language as this book is an excellent reminder of just how impotant the body language can be in understanding conversation or interpreting a person's reaction to you. Very enjoyable read. I especially enjoyed the relAtionship content as being married for almost 29 years you tend to forget and take your partner for granted.

My son had to read high school so I read more as a curiosity but thoroughly enjoyed and wish I read while in grade school as would have
Karla
Mar 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I am not convinced that many of the postures and gestures described here are an end all guide to a person's unstated positions or feelings. I have often seen someone shaking their head no when I know for a fact they are telling the truth, or scratch their nose when I know for a fact they are not unsure of themselves, and are absolutely speaking truth. Haven't the "experts" ever heard of nasal allergies?
These points aside, I do know that non-verbal communication DOES in fact exist, and that this
Putri Amalia
Outdated
Bethany
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Bethany by: my brother
Rated PG.

I learned so much from this book! I had no idea how many facets there are to body language, and how much you can figure out about a person's mood, personality, or stress level based on their hands, feet, ankles, etc. I thought I already knew how to read faces pretty well, but there is so much more to reading body language than I knew. A great find, well worth the read, and something I will definitely come back to (because I really didn't internalize it all, even though I want to do so!)
I like to use MySpace again my favorite 1 1 Sep 03, 2015 11:12PM
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • Get Anyone to Do Anything: Never Feel Powerless Again--With Psychological Secrets to Control and Influence Every Situation
  • How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System
  • Teach Yourself Body Language
  • Body Language
  • The Big Book of Words You Should Know: Over 3,000 Words Every Person Should be Able to Use (And a few that you probably shouldn't)
  • How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--And Lovers--And Keeping Them for Life
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • Signals: How To Use Body Language For Power, Success, And Love
  • Ziglar on Selling
  • I Can Read You Like a Book
  • Anxiety, Phobias, and Panic
  • Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results
  • Zero-Resistance Selling: Achieve Extraordinary Sales Results Using World Renowned techqs Psycho Cyberneti
  • The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning Program
  • Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millennium

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gerard Nierenberg was the founder of the Negotiation Institute, an educational non-profit institute dedicated to advancing the art of negotiation. He published his first book, The Art of Negotiating, in 1968; the subsequent success of the book led to the creation of customized in-house workshops on the art of negotiating. Mr. Nierenberg provided seminars to entities from Fortune 500 companies to a ...more
More about Gerard I. Nierenberg

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division