Start by marking “The Rainmaker” as Want to Read:
The Rainmaker

The Rainmaker

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  173,020 ratings  ·  2,021 reviews
InThe Rainmaker, John Grisham tells the story of a young man barely out of law school who finds himself taking on one of the most powerful, corrupt, and ruthless companies in America -- and exposing a complex, multibillion-dollar insurance scam. In his final semester of law school Rudy Baylor is required to provide free legal advice to a group of senior citizens, and it is ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Delta (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainmaker, please sign up.
Mark The story takes place primarily in Memphis, Tennessee. Rudy is a fictional character, so he is not really living. But you knew that, right? ;)
…more
(less)

·  173,020 ratings  ·  2,021 reviews

Start your review of The Rainmaker
Stephen
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it
“I'm alone and outgunned, scared and inexperienced, but I'm right.”
Photobucket

Smooth, savvy, satisfying…I think this is my new favorite John Grisham novel. While not heavy on scholarly nuance, it has some depth and is crisp, right-hearted, expertly paced and reads like ice-cold lemonade on the porch in summertime.*

*Please feel free to mentally substitute the simile ‘hot toddy curled up in front of a fire in winter’ if you prefer.

While this page-turner is a very easy read, I wouldn’t call this light a
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: law, fiction, mystery, thriller
The Rainmaker takes readers into the underlying corruption of these large corporate insurance companies, pitting a law school student against an obviously much larger and more powerful opponent. When his new clients inform him that their son is dying of terminal cancer and that their insurance company is repeatedly weaseling out of covering his treatments, Rudy Baylor realizes just how important the case is - but when you're a penniless novice arguing with one of America's best defense attorneys ...more
Jessica
Nov 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Why did I like this book so much? Because it showed the "other" side of lawyering - the side that isn't romanticized in Grisham's other novels. For once, there were no mobsters, no politicians with hidden agendas, no paranoid millionaires with money to burn, no fresh-out-of-college rookies who land in hot water because they accidentally stumbled upon a secret that their storied firms had been keeping for years.

Rudy struggles from the outset. He's handed one opportunity after another, only to see
Rob
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A stand alone legal thriller published 1995

I really enjoyed this legal thriller.
All the things that you have come to expect from John Grisham are here.
A young lawyer, Rudy Baylor, is fresh out of law school and struggling to make ends meet. He has one job prospect, not the dream job he was hoping for but something to get his foot on the ladder. A the last minute the rug is pulled from under him when he is told that he has just lost the job that he hadn’t even started yet.
Down but not out Rudy
Paul
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second time I've read this one. It really is a fun, quick and easy lawyer thriller/legal drama.
Max Ostrovsky
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, pop
A very sloppy beginning and an even worse sloppy ending.
The beginning I found meandering. There were just too many plot lines that contained no suspense or anything that grabbed me. I couldn't even feel anything for the main character until close to the middle of the book.
The middle of the book, however, was fantastic. It was engaging and fast paced. I found myself not wanting to put the book down. The centerpiece of the book, the main trial, was handled absolutely fantastically. There were so
Ammar
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
David vs. Goliath
A small case that snowballs
Insurance
A young man
Cancer

A rookie lawyer
His first case
The zeal

He is doing his best
For his client
And his a lawyer that needs to survive

Will he make it rain on his clients ??
Asghar Abbas
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My favorite Grisham novel. This is the best one in my opinion. The only one of his books I kept. Rest, I gave them away. Because I have outgrown him. OK, I lied. I kept his Brethren novel too. But you get my point.

This was him getting as close to being a poet as he could be.

*Saying it in South Park the movie fashion* Matt Damon got nothing on this book.
Natalie Vellacott
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: john-grisham, fiction
One of my favourite Grisham books. Great drama in the courtroom as Rudy Baylor, novice lawyer sues established, wealthy insurance company Great Benefit. Their crime? Repeatedly denying the claim of a terminally ill young man apparently just because they could...or so they thought.

This book really brings out some important lessons; that in the end, big dreams of wealth, success and power usually end up as just that--dreams! Those that do make it often find that the end result is not what they wer
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good book, less than satisfying ending...if I say more it will be a spoiler. I thought it better than some Grisham books. The struggles of a young lawyer as he faces the more sordid side of life here.

****Spoiler Below ****

(view spoiler)
Mahlon
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Leave it to John Grisham to turn a story that pivots on the technical language of an insurance policy into a riveting court room drama! One of his best.

I would've liked A more fleshed resolution to Miss Bertie's problems however.

I haven't read a Grisham book since The Runaway Jury in 1997. This book made me want to go back and read his other works to see what I might have missed.
Karen
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Grisham's books that I forgot I had read a long time back. Very good!!
Joy D
Law student Rudy Baylor is graduating from law school and is ready to start working for a firm. As part of finishing his coursework, he visits a retirement center where students provide law assistance to seniors. He researches a case that becomes important in his working life. When the firm’s employment offer falls through, he finds himself in a situation with little money, no job, and the need to pass the bar exam. This is another of Grisham’s legal-related books, though more of a courtroom dra ...more
Harv Griffin
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, own
This is one of my 2 favorite Grisham novels—don’t bother with the movie, it’s a campy mess of bad acting and awful direction IMHO (actually, the movie is so bad that it is occasionally amusing).

pic of my copy of Rainmaker

I love courtroom drama. RAINMAKER pits the law student who hasn’t even passed the bar yet and his “paralawyer” against the Big Bad Insurance Company that routinely denies EVERY claim made it against—initially.

Grisham is at the top of his game here; most of his novels are great first-reads (then give it a
Melissa Franckowiak
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grisham creates a great protagonist here.
James Fitzgerald
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT STORY, EXCELLENTCHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. I believe I read this book a long time ago but did not add it to my list so I revisited the rainmaker. I enjoyed Rudy Baler the young attorney who has met Mrs. Black a woman who son has leukemia and has been denied a bone marrow transplant by her insurance company because he had a,preexisting condition. ( he had the flu 5 years prior to his mother contracting for the insurance)
if you haven't read the Rainmaker and enjoy a good story don't hesitate
Susan
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't remembered this until I saw a recent review. I'm adding so I don't re-read.

This is a great story about the flip side of the attorney business. An inexperienced lawyer wanting to do right by his clients against a stone wall of an insurance company not performing their contract.

A David and Goliath tale with a satisfying conclusion, I enjoyed reading this.
Cody | CodysBookshelf
How does John Grisham do it? Seriously. He keeps me turning pages long into the night, and with baited breath — something no author accomplishes as well as he. He makes it look easy, creating tantalizing and memorable stories; not to mention the colorful and sympathetic characters that populate those stories.

The Rainmaker is an early Grisham hit, and it follows he formula this author well known for: pitting an underdog (in this case, a fresh-out-of-school trial lawyer) against a formidable enemy
Karen
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was obsessed with John Grisham novels when I was a preteen. I got sucked into these novels and dreamed of becoming a hotshot trial lawyer myself. I eventually found my way into social work, but I am still a sucker for a good legal thriller. This book is technically a re-read for me and it was everything I expected: a well-paced and satisfying read, albeit heavy on coincidences and lucky breaks for our hero. And who would have guessed that Grisham's critique of giant health insurance corporatio ...more
Peter Meredith
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it
John Grisham gives me hope that someday my writing will become noticed and that I will be able to make a living as a novelist. I say this because The Rainmaker made it to number one on the New York Times best seller list despite the fact that it is only an average book.
The writing was good enough to keep me turning the pages, but the story lacked and the characters were painfully stereotypical, except oddly enough for the main character. For a good guy, Rudy Baylor was unlikable, not in an anti
Katy Kotlarczyk
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listened to this one on audio and was good company for a long road trip and working out. Pretty typical John Grisham.
Karl Marberger
Very entertaining and worthwhile. Grisham makes the legal profession seem fun and interesting.
itchy
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic, may
27October2019

there was a copy lying around the house during my elementary days (or was it already high school).
i was initially apprehensive of reading this because i was concerned i might not comprehend the jargon (of lawyers, the courtroom, and the justice system--of the usa, no less), but my ma encouraged me to, arguing that the jargon i was afraid of was non-existent in this book.

24May2020

titular sentence:
p15: I'd be an instant rainmaker, a bright young star with a golden touch.

punctuations:
p
Corey
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another book I gotta put up there with one of Grisham's best! The Rainmaker tells us about the lies and corruption behind an Insurance Company, and it goes to show me that some companies are really like that, insensitive and cruel, makes me not want to trust any of them. But anyways, awhile back I saw the movie with Matt Damon, because I'm a big fan of him, I only saw it once and I don't remember it that well, and I was a little young to understand the legal stuff.

But now I've read the book and
Gary
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I love the easy way John Grisham writes but this book drifted for me. There were times when I couldn't put the book down and I thought it was going to be one of the classic John Grisham novels but there were other times when the plots lost their way. So close to giving this book a 4 star rating but the finish appeared rushed and spoilt the book.
Marcelino
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
It took me almost 5 months to finish It.

The thing is that I wasn't into reading until a couple of weeks and, well, time kept passing.

This book is about its main character, the story is good but not amazing. That's why Rudy was the only thing that mattered. He was the center of the attention, even though a case against a big company was on the table.

He felt real, human, you could connect with him and that's why I enjoyed the book.

I'm not giving it the 5 starts just because I didn't like the final
Suzanne
What almost 40 year old hasn't read a John Grisham novel? Me! I really liked this book. I enjoyed the legal content and thought it was very well written, evident that Mr Grisham had a lifetime of experience doing this before writing about it. I'm very glad I read it, and now am looking forward to some more of his. This might be 4.5 for me I'd say, but loved it!
Bren
“Don't compromise yourself - you're all you have.”
― John Grisham, The Rainmaker

One of Grisham's best. Moves at a pretty good pace and I loved the characters in the book and all the legal speak.

I have become a fan of Grisham and I count The Rainmaker as one of my favorites of his.
Barbara Nutting
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read years ago
Paula
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
Really good read, with a really good ending.
ending (spoiler alert) 10 240 Jun 01, 2020 09:40PM
Play Book Tag: [Trim] The Rainmaker by John Grisham - 4 stars 5 15 Jun 05, 2019 06:31AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fiction - Louisiana Lawyer [s] 3 70 Nov 14, 2018 12:28PM
Goodreads Librari...: Something's wrong 3 20 Apr 12, 2018 01:13PM
Rainmaker 7 125 Jun 05, 2014 10:34AM

• The Juror
  • The Firm
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #15)
  • The Godfather
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • Sycamore Row: by John Grisham -- Analysis
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • Never Go Back by Lee Child -- Summary and Review
  • Hide and Seek
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Day of the Jackal
  • The Burden of Proof (Kindle County Legal Thriller #2)
  • Cruel and Unusual
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Eye of the Needle
  • Absolute Power
  • Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of

Articles featuring this book

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with...
“Don't compromise yourself - you're all you have.” 3168 likes