Start by marking “The Rainmaker” as Want to Read:
The Rainmaker

The Rainmaker

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  152,753 ratings  ·  1,749 reviews
John Grisham's five novels -- A Time To Kill, The Firm, The Pelican Brief, The Client, and The Chamber -- have been number one best-sellers, and have a combined total of 47 million copies in print. Now, inThe Rainmaker, Grisham returns to the courtroom for the first time since A Time To Kill, and weaves a riveting tale of legal intrigue and corporate greed. Combining suspe ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Delta (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainmaker, please sign up.

·  152,753 ratings  ·  1,749 reviews

Stephen
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it
“I'm alone and outgunned, scared and inexperienced, but I'm right.”
Photobucket

Smooth, savvy, satisfying…I think this is my new favorite John Grisham novel. While not heavy on scholarly nuance, it has some depth and is crisp, right-hearted, expertly paced and reads like ice-cold lemonade on the porch in summertime.*

*Please feel free to mentally substitute the simile ‘hot toddy curled up in front of a fire in winter’ if you prefer.

While this page-turner is a very easy read, I wouldn’t call this light as G
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Rainmaker, John Grisham
The Rainmaker is a 1995 novel by John Grisham. This was Grisham's sixth novel. It differs from most of his other novels in that it is written almost completely in the simple present tense.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوم اکتبر سال 1998 میلادی
عنوان: باران ساز؛ نویسنده: جان گریشام؛ مترجم: هادی عادلپور؛ تهران، کوشش، 1375؛ در 678 ص؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی - سده 20 م
عنوان: باران ساز؛ نویسنده: جان گریشام؛ مترجم: آزیتا زیادلو؛ تهران، همراه، 1385؛ در 156 ص؛ شابک: 964698264
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mystery, law, thriller
The Rainmaker takes readers into the underlying corruption of these large corporate insurance companies, pitting a law school student against an obviously much larger and more powerful opponent. When his new clients inform him that their son is dying of terminal cancer and that their insurance company is repeatedly weaseling out of covering his treatments, Rudy Baylor realizes just how important the case is - but when you're a penniless novice arguing with one of America's best defense attorneys ...more
Jessica
Nov 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Why did I like this book so much? Because it showed the "other" side of lawyering - the side that isn't romanticized in Grisham's other novels. For once, there were no mobsters, no politicians with hidden agendas, no paranoid millionaires with money to burn, no fresh-out-of-college rookies who land in hot water because they accidentally stumbled upon a secret that their storied firms had been keeping for years.

Rudy struggles from the outset. He's handed one opportunity after another, only to see
Paul
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second time I've read this one. It really is a fun, quick and easy lawyer thriller/legal drama.
Max Ostrovsky
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, pop
A very sloppy beginning and an even worse sloppy ending.
The beginning I found meandering. There were just too many plot lines that contained no suspense or anything that grabbed me. I couldn't even feel anything for the main character until close to the middle of the book.
The middle of the book, however, was fantastic. It was engaging and fast paced. I found myself not wanting to put the book down. The centerpiece of the book, the main trial, was handled absolutely fantastically. There were so
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good book, less than satisfying ending...if I say more it will be a spoiler. I thought it better than some Grisham books. The struggles of a young lawyer as he faces the more sordid side of life here.

****Spoiler Below ****

(view spoiler)
Asghar Abbas
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My favorite Grisham novel. This is the best one in my opinion. The only one of his books I kept. Rest, I gave them away. Because I have outgrown him . OK, I lied. I kept his Brethren novel too. But you get my point.

This was him getting as close to being a poet as he could.

*Saying it in South Park the movie fashion* Matt Damon got nothing on this book.
Natalie Vellacott
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, john-grisham
One of my favourite Grisham books. Great drama in the courtroom as Rudy Baylor, novice lawyer sues established, wealthy insurance company Great Benefit. Their crime? Repeatedly denying the claim of a terminally ill young man apparently just because they could...or so they thought.

This book really brings out some important lessons; that in the end, big dreams of wealth, success and power usually end up as just that--dreams! Those that do make it often find that the end result is not what they wer
Karen
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Grisham's books that I forgot I had read a long time back. Very good!!
Mahlon
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Leave it to John Grisham to turn a story that pivots on the technical language of an insurance policy into a riveting court room drama! One of his best.

I would've liked A more fleshed resolution to Miss Bertie's problems however.

I haven't read a Grisham book since The Runaway Jury in 1997. This book made me want to go back and read his other works to see what I might have missed.
Harv Griffin
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, reviewed
This is one of my 2 favorite Grisham novels—don’t bother with the movie, it’s a campy mess of bad acting and awful direction IMHO (actually, the movie is so bad that it is occasionally amusing).

pic of my copy of Rainmaker

I love courtroom drama. RAINMAKER pits the law student who hasn’t even passed the bar yet and his “paralawyer” against the Big Bad Insurance Company that routinely denies EVERY claim made it against—initially.

Grisham is at the top of his game here; most of his novels are great first-reads (then give it a
Melissa Franckowiak
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grisham creates a great protagonist here.
Ettore1207
Feb 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Spesso sento la necessità di letture rilassanti. Ma sì, mi son detto, proviamo questo Grisham. Mal me ne incolse.
Prolisso, strascicato, si dilunga nel chiaro intento di raggiungere le 500 e passa pagine dell'edizione in brossura.
Caro Grisham, non è la prima volta che mi propini simili brodosità. Provvedo al lancio arrivato più o meno a pagina 100, e la mia storia con te finisce qui forever.
Non me ne vogliano i milioni di lettori che lo apprezzano.
Peter Meredith
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it
John Grisham gives me hope that someday my writing will become noticed and that I will be able to make a living as a novelist. I say this because The Rainmaker made it to number one on the New York Times best seller list despite the fact that it is only an average book.
The writing was good enough to keep me turning the pages, but the story lacked and the characters were painfully stereotypical, except oddly enough for the main character. For a good guy, Rudy Baylor was unlikable, not in an anti
Cody | codysbookshelf
How does John Grisham do it? Seriously. He keeps me turning pages long into the night, and with baited breath — something no author accomplishes as well as he. He makes it look easy, creating tantalizing and memorable stories; not to mention the colorful and sympathetic characters that populate those stories.

The Rainmaker is an early Grisham hit, and it follows he formula this author well known for: pitting an underdog (in this case, a fresh-out-of-school trial lawyer) against a formidable enemy
James Fitzgerald
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT STORY, EXCELLENTCHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. I believe I read this book a long time ago but did not add it to my list so I revisited the rainmaker. I enjoyed Rudy Baler the young attorney who has met Mrs. Black a woman who son has leukemia and has been denied a bone marrow transplant by her insurance company because he had a,preexisting condition. ( he had the flu 5 years prior to his mother contracting for the insurance)
if you haven't read the Rainmaker and enjoy a good story don't hesitate
Apoorva Ranade
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really really like this book. The story is well written and keeps readers hooked till the end.
Karen
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was obsessed with John Grisham novels when I was a preteen. I got sucked into these novels and dreamed of becoming a hotshot trial lawyer myself. I eventually found my way into social work, but I am still a sucker for a good legal thriller. This book is technically a re-read for me and it was everything I expected: a well-paced and satisfying read, albeit heavy on coincidences and lucky breaks for our hero. And who would have guessed that Grisham's critique of giant health insurance corporatio ...more
Gary
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I love the easy way John Grisham writes but this book drifted for me. There were times when I couldn't put the book down and I thought it was going to be one of the classic John Grisham novels but there were other times when the plots lost their way. So close to giving this book a 4 star rating but the finish appeared rushed and spoilt the book.
Suzanne
What almost 40 year old hasn't read a John Grisham novel? Me! I really liked this book. I enjoyed the legal content and thought it was very well written, evident that Mr Grisham had a lifetime of experience doing this before writing about it. I'm very glad I read it, and now am looking forward to some more of his. This might be 4.5 for me I'd say, but loved it!
Corey
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another book I gotta put up there with one of Grisham's best! The Rainmaker tells us about the lies and corruption behind an Insurance Company, and it goes to show me that some companies are really like that, insensitive and cruel, makes me not want to trust any of them. But anyways, awhile back I saw the movie with Matt Damon, because I'm a big fan of him, I only saw it once and I don't remember it that well, and I was a little young to understand the legal stuff.

But now I've read the book and
Karl Marberger
Very entertaining and worthwhile. Grisham makes the legal profession seem fun and interesting.
Kelley
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insurance companies, just as evil today as when this was written. Fast paced, likeable characters, characters you love to hate. Really enjoyed this one.
Andre Gonzalez
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Only Grisham can make a civil case intense!
Michael
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
“Like a snake creeping through the undergrowth, I sneak into the law school well past noon and hours after both of my scheduled classes have broken up.” I like this quote for a couple of reasons; one is because it’s so well described and descriptive. John Grisham left me wondering what was about to happen every time I was about to turn the page. I couldn’t really predict the book there were constant twists and turns throughout the book, as was curiosity and excitement. I didn’t have a least favo ...more
Yomi Mi Ri
Me gustó bastante conocer a Rudy, este estudiante de derecho a punto de ejercer, al que le caen en sus manos un par de casos bastante jugosos, por un lado una viuda millonaria y por otro la estafa de una aseguradora. El principio es divertido ya que le pasa de todo a este hombre, pero después las cosas van tomando su ritmo jurídico y no me perdí mucho en la juega porque he leído más sobre el género, pero sí que habrá juerga de abogados como para sentirse uno, por momentos se volvía tenso pero me ...more
Jyotika Varmani
Aug 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Marcelino
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
It took me almost 5 months to finish It.

The thing is that I wasn't into reading until a couple of weeks and, well, time kept passing.

This book is about its main character, the story is good but not amazing. That's why Rudy was the only thing that mattered. He was the center of the attention, even though a case against a big company was on the table.

He felt real, human, you could connect with him and that's why I enjoyed the book.

I'm not giving it the 5 starts just because I didn't like the final
Chelsea Colleen
May 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: someone with a dream
im just a highskooler, so i couldnt really understand what the book was saying, but i got a general idea. this book is about a young man named rudy that is a struggling lawyer, but his life turns 360 degrees after he wins this case or something. its about a quiet adventure to the road of success. whoever reads this should feel touched at his will and drive. the fact that he neva gave up at the hardest times, and his determination to make it. i could go on and on, but i guess i got the general id ...more
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fiction - Louisiana Lawyer [s] 3 70 Nov 14, 2018 12:28PM
Goodreads Librari...: Something's wrong 3 16 Apr 12, 2018 01:13PM
For Love of a Book: The Rainmaker - Buddy Read January 2 14 Jan 26, 2018 06:37AM
Rainmaker 7 125 Jun 05, 2014 10:34AM
ending (spoiler alert) 9 187 Jan 27, 2014 09:54AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Burden of Proof
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • Honor Among Thieves
  • Silent Witness (Tony Lord #2)
  • Blind Justice (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • Terminal
  • The Matarese Countdown (Matarese #2)
  • Saving Faith
  • خلف جدار النوم
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)
  • The Negotiator
  • The Hit List
  • كتب الدم
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
“Don't compromise yourself - you're all you have.” 3119 likes