Start by marking “A Deeper Blue (Paladin of Shadows, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Deeper Blue (Paladin of Shadows, #5)

A Deeper Blue (Paladin of Shadows #5)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  2,200 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Sequel to Ghost, Kildar, Choosers of the Slain and Unto the Breach.
Heart-sick over the deaths of so many of his Keldara followers, and one in particular, former SEAL Mike Harmon, hero of Ghost, Kildar and Choosers of the Slain, decides to sit this one out. WMDs headed for the US no longer matter to the Kildar. But when his best friend and intel specialist both are seriousl
Published July 3rd 2007 by Baen (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Deeper Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Deeper Blue

A World of Possibility by Christopher  ShieldsA World of Romance by Christopher  ShieldsGood Like This by Peter ArpesellaA World of Terror by Christopher  ShieldsBentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul Cude
606 books — 376 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsDune by Frank HerbertFoundation by Isaac AsimovWarship by Joshua DalzelleA Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Galactic Quests
143 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Gabe S
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can't give this series any sort of lucid and rational recommendation as I am a little conflicted about my enjoyment of them but the more I read these books, the more I come to think this is John Ringo's 21st Century equivalent to Robert Howard's Conan - a 'Boys (Man's)Own Adventure' for Modern Times.

Where readers in the 30's were scandalized by the archetypal but brutish exploits of the Cimmerian and his unapologetically thieving ways and dalliances with thinly veiled ladies of the bodacious
William Bentrim
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Deeper Blue by John Ringo

Terrorists are intent on bringing VX gas to the United States to kill civilians. Mike Harmon/Jenkins stands in their way.

The emotional deprivation that Mike feels in this book provides a more complete picture of this larger than life hero. He demonstrates more depth in his caring for his friends.

That being said, once again we are immersed in non-stop lethal action with solid criticism of our government’s approach on terrorism. Ringo writes outstanding action books la
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, xcharity-2016
A guilty pleasure, comic book plot, bad guys and slightly less bad "good" guys. Won't strain your brain, call it summer beach reading. 3 Stars.
A terrorist plot for a major attack on American soil brings Mike out of a major depression. High octane speedboat chases, some torture of terrorists, some rape and torture of his secretary, (who really loves the rough stuff), makes this an exciting read.
Warning graphic sex and violence.
Kevin Beck
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fast paced adventure as the Kildar and his band of mercenaries race to stop acts of terrorism in Florida.
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
7/4/17 3rd reread. Another enjoyable installment in this unique series.
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I've enjoyed this series, to the extent that I feel bad that I'm at the end of it (there is a 6th book, but it was written six years later, has a different author and appears to bear little resemblance to the other 5). So I had high hopes for this one.

Well, there was plenty of action. I'm talking swashbuckling action at Disneyworld. The setting returns to Florida, where Ringo is at home. Lots of water, boats, helicopters, boats, and water.

I like it when the good guys are just this side of bein
David Beck
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mike and the Keldara are in the Caribbean and Central Florida to prevent a bunch of terrorist attacks against the tourism industries. They once again kick ass and take names and Mike is able to recover from losing the love of his life Gretchen which I think is probably the weakest part of the whole series.
Steven Sheeley
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Now we've got terrorists are intent on bringing VX gas to the United States. Fortunately we've got Mike Harmon to stands in their way.

We get a deeper look into the psyche of Mike Harmon and the depth of his caring for his friends and family. While he is a larger than life hero, he is a complex human being.

I do love the fact that Ringo’s books are always entertaini
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Book five sees the usual gang take on smugglers and terrorists trying to bring off a nerve gas attack in Florida. But there’s a twist. Events in Unto the Breach have left Mike in deep depression. As he works on that, he isn’t afraid to step on toes in order to get things done.

This one is quite a ride, and my vague familiarity of the territory (the Keys, mainland Florida and the Bahamas) made it all flow smoothly. The culture shock between “by the book” US law officialdow and “get it done” Keldar
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book couldn't quite keep pace with the previous installment; coming down from the excitement and action of the battle with the Chechens. Don't get me wrong, it was a good story, just not as much going on with the Keldara as in prior chapters. Our poor hero struggles to overcome his grief in losing Gretchen. It never fails that the main male character in these types of novels never has a lasting relationship. The woman either leaves or gets killed, more often the later. I am and am not looki ...more
Viking Litespear
Jan 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: misogynists
Ringo is technically a good writer, but this is teen-aged, misogynistic pulp. If the harem of teen-virgins and the gratuitous sexual torture scenes had been edited out, I could have enjoyed the book and excused the rest of the silly distractions of a writer who has no idea how any military outfit runs and fills gaps with poison fingernails, fast cars and tiger emblems.

Your time would be better spent with authors like Dick Couch or reading Starship Troopers.
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ringo fans, Posleen fans, men's adventure
Shelves: adventure
The latest installment of the Paladin of Shadows is high on action and low on sex, and I like it that way. This time Mike goes after a terrorist attack on American soil. Only for the first time, he doesn't want to answer the call of duty from the President because the love of his life was killed in the previous novel, and he is drinking himself into a stupor.

Good action sequences, rough on some of his female operatives, but well done.
Chuck Springer
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The character development significantly improved from the last couple of books in this series. I was fascinated how the author used existing world threats, correlated with the glacial speed of bureaucratic decision making for another thrill ride. I found myself excited to see this new Kildar cut through the red tape and approach each mission with a clear headedness and necessary foresight to achieve various levels of success. I am now anxiously waiting to the next novel in the series.
Steve Oglesby
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The Kildar out-Bonds James Bond. ;-)

I always enjoy the reality-based commentary on the government, media, etc. Ringo is one of my all-time favorite authors.

Note: this series is for mature audiences. If you're looking for equally well-written action/military/Sci-Fi, with less-graphic violence and sex, try his "Looking Glass" series.
Lisa Hunt
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
See Ghost for overall review. For some reason, I've re-read this one 3 or 4 times. Because it was handy, because I needed bedtime reading, because I wanted to read about the Kildar and his Kildara - and it stood up to re-reading every time. Nice, sturdy war-candy re-readables. What more can you ask for? I won't be giving these away.
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Again, this is one of my guilty pleasures. At least, it answered one of my unasked questions, "what happens when he meets one of the ones he rescued in book #1?"

Mike H. is still tortured by his mental ghosts, still a dead shot, still putting his life on the line to save innocents from Muslim terrorists, and still has a way with women.
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mike Jenkins aka Kildar is called back into action again. This time, Islamic terrorists have brought barrells of powdered nerve gas to an underwater hiding spot off the Bahamas and it is his job is to find that place and halt any attacks on America especially since it is rumored one of the targets is Disney World.
Jeff Means
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
not half bad, in fact pretty damn good. my only hold on the book is that the main character is a BDSM masochistic, so anyone under the age of 18 probably should hold off on this one for a few years. damn good read otherwise...
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This forms a new plot arc (or closes the series), and well… it's a change of pace. Some might even call it jumping the shark, bringing the setting to the USA, and ignoring a lot of the cultural notes for counter-terrorism and gun-wanking.

Christopher Taylor
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The journey continues. This one was quick and full of action as all of these are. Macho tales, similar to some others remarks, Swashbuckling in modern times.
It must be the setting on this story.
William Ritch
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as exciting as the previous book in this series, but a lot of fun. The Kildar and his merry band of movie-star-looking mercenaries go to Disney World. Hilarity ensues. Plus gunfights, explosions and death. And what is our hero? A jail-bait magnet?
Peter Fiske
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action-adventure
Okay, I have now completed all 6 of the Kildar books. I have enjoyed them immensely with the possible exception of Ghost. I'm not into BDSM, so that was a downer for me. But the entire series has been fun escapist reading. I highly recommend to everyone who enjoy's decent action writing.
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Utterly joyless and vile. You get the feeling even the author is tired of the constant rape and torture. Perhaps that's why he didn't write another for years. It's going to take me a few days to get over this one. Ugh.
Kevin MacKenzie
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
re-read before new book
Jul 21, 2008 rated it liked it
This is the third in a series and I have not read the first two, yet. I will. However, I will say that this pieces definitely seems to be John Ringo marking time. Not nearly his best work.
Rob & Liz
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Quite interesting. Enjoyed this book though end was a bit jumbled.
Aeoli Pera
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Same as previous books. Half military fantasy and half sex fantasy. Masculine wish-fulfillment, easy reading.
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Ok,liked the ending.
Bry Malakas
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it
compared to the previous installment of the series, this seems to slow with not much action on it.
  • The Apocalypse Troll
  • Warp Speed (Warp Speed #1)
  • A State of Disobedience
  • The Tyrant (The General, #8)
  • The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
  • The Weapon
  • The Chosen (The General, #6)
John Ringo is a prolific author who has written in a wide variety of genres. His early life included a great deal of travel. He visited 23 foreign countries, and attended fourteen different schools. After graduation Ringo enlisted in the US military for four years, after which he studied marine biology.

In 1999 he wrote and published his first novel "A Hymn Before Battle", which proved successful.
More about John Ringo...

Paladin of Shadows (6 books)
  • Ghost (Paladin of Shadows, #1)
  • Kildar (Paladin of Shadows, #2)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Paladin of Shadows, #3)
  • Unto the Breach (Paladin of Shadows, #4)
  • Tiger by the Tail (Paladin of Shadows, #6)