Start by marking “Stone Junction” as Want to Read:
Stone Junction

Stone Junction

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  1,916 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
Introitus lapidis, que arranca con el derechazo propinado en la mandíbula a una monja, es una odisea moderna sobre la búsqueda del conocimiento y de la comprensión, simbolizados por una extraña esfera de diamante, supuestamente la Piedra Filosofal, custodiada por el gobierno de los EEUU. Daniel Pearse, un huérfano acogido por la Alianza de Magos y Forajidos, debe seguirle ...more
Published September 11th 1998 by Grove Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Junction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Junction

Oriana
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: phenomenal, read-2008
I'm too tired to organize my thoughts into coherent paragraphs, so instead here's a numbered list thingy, sorry if it's lacking in artistry.

1. I'm about 99 percent sure I've read this before, but I can't remember much of anything about it. When I went to my library to find something else today, this just leapt off the shelf at me, so.

2. Not many books seriously grab you with the first five or ten pages; this one had me riveted by the end of the first paragraph.

3. Jim Dodge –- like Pynchon, thou
Drew
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Drew by: thomas pynchon
I think the last time I was this gripped right from the beginning of a book was when I read House of Leaves, and the time before that was probably Infinite Jest. Stone Junction isn't really much like either of those, though, so don't get the wrong idea. House of Leaves is gimmicky and academic, and Infinite Jest is long and fairly difficult. Stone Junction is significantly shorter* and definitely way more accessible. On the title page it calls itself an "alchemical potboiler." Using the word pot ...more
Setenay K.
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Önsözde spoiler var, en son okuyun. (Neyse ki bu konuda gerekli uyarıyı önceden aldım ben, önsözü en son okudum.) İlk fırsatta hakkında bir blog postu yazacağım.
Max Nemtsov
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don’t have to be illegal to be an outlaw.

Это супер-роман о супраментальном. Это идеальный роман идей. Пинчон назвал его «изгойским эпосом», и это недомолвка столетия — по крайней мере, второй половины прошлого века. Потому что это намного больше и алхимического триллера, и квеста поперек Америки, из которого о жизни вообще — не только в Америке — можно узнать намного больше, чем из многих томов. В нем есть все, что нужно для умеющего читать.

Если «Трилогия общественных работ» Мэтта Раффа — «
Allycks
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
This is one of those books where the plot is original and the pace is upbeat, the characters are well-desribed and the twists are in abundance, but overall the work falls well short of the sum of its parts. I really wanted to like Stone Junction. I enjoyed its Pynchon-Tom Robbins kind of Americana raw boned wide-eyed American late 20th century style, with occasional touches of Richard Ford-like blatantly non pretentious poetic observations-- but only up to a certain point. Then it kept going, an ...more
Grin
Oct 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Abby Howell
This book is a mix between Lord of The Rings, Huckleberry Finn, On the Road and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I loved it! I recommend this book to anyone who liked the above books, and also people who need books to move fast or end up reading books in short spurts (on the bus) or work a job where they need to leave the world for a while and get totally absorbed. I couldn't put it down and the writing is smart, the characters are just as memorable as anything that Krauss could write- minus any ...more
tim
Sep 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: magicians, outlaws, diamond lovers
If you have not yet read Jim Dodge, start with Fup, the "fable that became a fable." Fup sets the perfect tone for Stone Junction and introduces a recurring, if minor character in the later. Both stories are deeply moving, full of insight, and written with incredible heart and humor. I also recommend saving the great introduction by Thomas Pynchon until the end, as he gives away plot points that are better left as undiscovered surprises.
Ollie
Dec 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americana aficionados and Magic Realists
Recommended to Ollie by: my boyfriend
Thomas Pynchon, in his introduction to this novel, talks of a story grounded on Magic (with a capital M) from a time before the internet appeared in our lives. In my view, it's the kind of mysticism which was sought by the Beats (one of them, Gary Snyder, is even thanked in the novel); a form of American Magic Realism as seen through a hashish haze, to the sound of rock & roll.

Like Gabriel García Márquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude" (the epitome of Magic Realism), giant characters come
Mosca
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-re-read
This book sets its own terms, existing somewhere in the lands of political fantasy--if such a geography exists. Here lives an underground and ancient, loosly-organized collaboration among those who have always lived outside the law. This loose confederation of anarchists, magicians, gamblers, alchemists--and others who live in a counter-economy//counter culture--has its own codes of honor which easily substitutes for rules.

This organization and the characters that interact with it are the protag
Naomi
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bravissimo, 2010
I think I first became aware of this book when searching Amazon for "Haight-Ashbury." I finished it a few weeks ago, and I MISS IT! To have that life, to have people approach the world that way -- man, to have someone take me to a remote ranch with the directives to contemplate, to notice, to think...well, that would outshine a lotto win. I'd explode with happiness! And you get to DO that while you read this mangificent measure of a book. It's pretty obvious I can't contain my zeal. I want to co ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Jim Dodge's Stone Junction
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - October 30, 2017

[This review is truncated by a word limit. For the full review, go here: https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/... ]

I'm not familiar w/ the author. I probably got this b/c the front cover looks vaguely science-fiction w/ a 'futuristic' black dome w/ green lights & a smoke stack that looks like it might be more at home on a large sea-faring boat than in the desert where it is in the image & w/ a foregroun
Amanda Liston
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Woo! A book that's made it onto my favorites shelf!

The ending was fairly unsatisfying to me but this is the most interesting, creative book I've read in recent memory. I don't even know quite how to describe it. I've never read an author that so fluently writes so many different characters and different worlds - and does it without it reading as disjointed or broken apart.

I keep coming back to the word "creative". It was also FUN. A fun adventure story, one that reminded me of the suspense of Ha
Judy Abbott
Şaşırtıcı bir kitap. Şimşek şeklinde yara izi, gizli büyücüler birliği tabii Harry Potter'ı anımsattı. Rowling buradan esinlenmiş veya bir güzel almış fikri. İlginç, merakla okunuyor ama hikâyede sürekli yeni karakterler fışkırınca biraz sıkıldım sonlara doğru.

Bir de kitaba önsöz yazmışlar, önsözde kitapta ne oluyor ne bitiyor anlatmışlar hey allahım ya. Önsözü okursanız benim gibi sonunu bile bile kitabı okumak zorunda kalırsınız :(
Lucas Sierra
Una novela de formación y una novela de carretera, una novela fantástica y una novela negra: Stone Junction: Una epopeya alquímica se mueve en esas cuatro categorías, enhebrándolas todas en una historia que se desarrolla en un ambiente pre-informático, con personajes que eligen la marginalidad como forma de libertad y se comunican entre ellos con un lenguaje metafórico lleno de metafísica-pop.

Daniel Pearse es el niño defendido, criado sin las reglas de la escuela hasta convertirse en el joven in
Marcus Miller
Aug 16, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a great, different and interesting book. It starts off really well, has some truly colourful characters and the story winds and weaves towards who knows where but... then it falls of the rails a little towards the end.

I am not 100% sure if my review is too low, as it really is a great book, but it's quite long, takes it's time building you up and the payoff is a little - weird and ultimately not very satisfying.

It's such a strange book that I am not really confident in my review, it is
Vit Babenco
Stone Junction is tremendously optimistic and incredibly romantic… It’s a book written by an ultimate idealist… And when Jim Dodge starts idealizing he idealizes absolutely everything.
“Outlaws only do wrong when they feel it’s right; criminals only feel right when they’re doing wrong.”
For the presumably all-powerful Alliance of Magicians and Outlaws this postulate sounds childishly naïve.
Literally from the first pages Jim Dodge turns utterly uncritical and Stone Junction is as shallow as childre
Tony Day
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Above all, do not read the spoiler-fuelled, Pynchon introduction. 5 stars for trying - I felt let down by the end of the book, and the esoteria paint-by-numbers vignettes in the middle, but the wild ride you get taken on is worth these disappointments. Americana has never been so fun.
Rafa
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No puedo dar una opinión, pero me dejó sabor La subasta del Lote 49, 1Q84, Hijos de la media noche...
Theo Logos
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stone Junction reads like a literary Frankenstein construct - equal parts Tom Robbins' whimsy, Umberto Eco's esotericism, and Ken Kesey's individualism/anarchism, yet it is all Jim Dodge's brilliance. If this witches brew makes you blanche in horror then avoid this book. If, however, like me, it whets your imagination and sets your mind to salivating, then by all means crack the covers and come dance at the monster's ball!
Stone Junction will introduce you to the AMO - The Alliance of Magicians a
William
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shucks. The first quarter of the book (not to mention rave reviews and an introduction by Thomas Pynchon) had me thinking I was in for something special. I also enjoyed Dodge's well-written characters in Fup. However, the middle third of the book drags something awful; most all of it could be excised without dramatically affecting the plot. I had the sensation that Dodge- whose only previous work was a novella- was trying to write a full length novel but could only do so by stringing together a ...more
James
Apr 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, crime
I can see what seems to appeal to so many in this book but it left me cold. A woman and her son are taken under the wing of a collective of anarchists and magicans and end up joining the fight against "the man". Gradually the story gets ever more fantastic as the man daniel grows and gets taught various skills culminating in the heist of the worlds biggest diamond. I just could not relate to any of the characters except they reminded me of some very overwrought addled monologues I had to listen ...more
Rudy Waltz
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I got it in San Francisco for a dollar or two, from a drifter peddling books placed upon the sidewalk. A little known gem about a wayward orphaned youth who avenges his mothers death with the help of alchemists, outlaws, magicians, gamblers, and all kinds of hustlers. Here's a summation from a fellow fan on Goodreads:
"This book is a mix between Lord of The Rings, Huckleberry Finn, On the Road and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."
Yep.
Simon
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Stone Junction By Jim Dodge

Well this is the first Jim Dodge book that I've
read and have to say it was pretty rivetting
reading he is like a cross between Tom Robbins,
Harry Crews, Kurt Vonnegut with a hint of Carlos
Casteneda. the book rips along through many
twists and turns as the plot of the sinister
underground organisation builds and builds
through more and more unbelievable happenings
and events, I had trouble putting it down.
Jon
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, americana

If Hunter Thompson sat down to write an all-American Harry Potter--this would be it.
Richard Braughtigan with plot and no suicide.Tim Robbins with less whimsey. This book
is unfairly obscure because it is awesomely entertaining and wonderful.

a sixties fueled, magic addled mythic race across America by young Daniel Pearce
as he tries to become a man and solve the mystery of the death of his mother, the greatest,
sexiest, straight shootin proto-hippie there ever was.
Bart Van den Bosch
Aug 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, fiction
Young boy is being trained by some sort of ancient secret society. Boy meets several weird characters, all social misfits, all with some special knowledge/ability. Of course the system is out to get them and several times they escape their enemies by a hair's breadth. Too many clichés. Halfway through the book I dropped out. I'm sure the boy will come of age, become a worthy member of the secret society and revenge his mother in due time. But I won't be around to read it.
Snob
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Tiña moitas ganas de que me gustara, pero na segunda metade foime perdendo, a medida que a palabrería máxica-new-age ía gañando peso. O punto forte da novela son os secundarios memorables que van aparecendo (e desaparecendo) un tras doutro. Por momentos parece todo unha excusa para o desfile de mestres do disfraz, o latrocinio, o poker e o drogarse; eses son os mellores momentos. Logo xa nada.
Sonia
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
There's something very charming about Dodge's Stone Junction. It kind of reminded me a bit of an edgier Harry Potter novel mixed with a PG13 version of Natural Born Killers.

The characters are interesting, droll, absorbing. The story is engaging. Okay, the stuff about the flame spiral in the diamond was a bit too much for me, but all around, it was a highly entertaining read.
TheLongWait
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gr-discoveries
A brilliant, rollicking story. Funny and poignant, I need to read more from Mr. Dodge.
Mishka
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
truly inspiring.
wally
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dodge, time-passages
1st from dodge for me...kindle version...subtitled: an alchemical pot-boiler. copyright 1990

w/an introduction from pynchon...copyright 1997

dedication: to my brother bob, whose courage and humor are a constant inspiration even if he catches fish like he catches cards.

followed by some gratitude...looks like a pile of folk

and heh! i love this 1st line of the intro from pynchon, having just now completed a reading of Love and War in California: A Novel, a story that has this same notion, almost verb
  • Everything You Need
  • The Trick is to Keep Breathing
  • Indigo
  • Typical: Stories
  • Tokyo Doesn't Love Us Anymore
Jim Dodge is an American novelist and poet whose works combine themes of folklore and fantasy, set in a timeless present. He has published three novels, Fup, Not Fade Away and Stone Junction and a collection of poetry and prose, Rain on the River. Dodge was born in 1945 and grew up as an Air Force brat. As an adult he spent many years living on an almost self-sufficient commune in West Sonoma Coun ...more
More about Jim Dodge...
“Let's get really fucked up and full of sentimental despair and then finally decide life, despite every heartbreak and anguished cry, is worth each pulse and breath.” 9 likes
“Why are the ones who are too good to be true always being true to someone else?” 5 likes