Start by marking “Jumanji” as Want to Read:
Jumanji

Jumanji

(Jumanji #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  23,824 Ratings  ·  1,457 Reviews
Left on their own for an afternoon, two bored and restless children find more excitement than they bargained for in a mysterious and mystical jungle-adventure board game. "Mr. Van Allsburg's illustrations have a beautiful simplicity of de-sign, balance, texture, and a subtle intelligence beyond the call of illustration." -- New York Times Book Review
Published 1981 by Houghton Mifflin Company

James
What an entertaining story! I first read this as a child, then I watched the movie with Robin Williams and fell in love all over again. But it was in my sophomore year at college when I was taking a course on "Reading in the Elementary School," and had to pull together a portfolio of books, that I chose this Caldecott medal winner. It's very creative and helps teach so many different lessons to children. A must treasure for all children with a great imagination or those who need one! Yes.

About
Bionic Jean
I love the 1995 film of Jumanji. It's a great story with fantastic special effects for the time. It's an exciting fantasy, full of surprises, wonder and magic, with two engaging children Peter and Judy, and many magnificent wild animals, threatening and amusing by turn. What is there not to like? But the 1981 book on which it is based ...

Chris Van Allsburg has written a kind of template for this fabulous adventure. It is a disappointingly brief and shallow read. None of the characters is fully
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

This is another case of I-saw-the-movie-was-there-a-book? and I'm grateful for these little gems.

Peter and Judy (brother and sister, unlike the movie version) are two slightly bored children who find a board game outside their house. They bring it in and start playing it, only to have a huge surprise.

I highly recommend this for the kids. It has a cool game, dangerous animals and a happy ending. Also, it's short enough that you'll keep their attention until the very end.

Calista
This story is filled with imagination, I mean what a great concept. I will say I saw the movie first. I enjoy this story and I wonder why he made the art in black and white. I think making it in hyper color would have really kicked it off and been like Pop, or the original Wizard of Oz where the color makes everything more. The black and white just didn't fit for me. I question that choice.

This book is exciting. The kids were engaged and on edge asking what was going to happen. It was intense. T
Manybooks
While I have at least to a certain point enjoyed Chris Van Allsburg's Jumanji, to and for me, the presented narrative, the storyline as a whole does seem rather frustratingly incomplete and actually more like an outline (as though some, if not actually most of the necessary story details are missing). And while I did (and do) appreciate the rich and detailed accompanying illustrations, I most definitely and desperately wanted (and needed) more information, more fleshed out characters and scenari ...more
AleJandra
2 Cuando el libro NO es mejor que la película STARS
description

Pop Sugar Reading Challenge 2016 A book from the library.

Hace un par de días estaba sentada en el piso de la biblioteca, en el área infantil buscando libros para mi hija, justo cuando un libro salvaje llamo mi atención.

Como alguien que creció en los 90's la película Jumanji me marco y se convirtió en una de mis favoritas.

Así que cuando vi el libro (del que no tenia idea venia la película) inmediatamente lo puse en mi montón de libros para ll
Pamela
It was a bit challenging to rate this classic picture book. There's the fabulous, sepia overtone, monochromatic artwork. And then there's the underwhelming text; underwhelming (and seemingly incomplete) text compared to the action-fabulous movie adaption featuring Robin Williams - RIP.

I greatly enjoyed the original movie, and have watched it numerous times. The book . . . not so much.

At first, I was leaning toward a three-star Goodreads rating. It was really hard for me to not compare book to mo
Ronyell
“Jumanji” is a Caldecott Award- winning book by Chris Van Allsburg and is the most popular children’s book out of all of his books. In this story, two children, Peter and Judy, discover a strange looking board game and they soon realize that this board game is more dangerous then they thought. “Jumanji” is clearly one of the most inventive and intense children’s book that will surely make children read it for a long time.

Chris Van Allsburg is excellent at illustrating and writing this classic c
Stacy
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My granddaughter and I read this today; we both loved it. Different than the movie, but excellent itself. I think this has become a new favorite for her.
Glire
2015 Reading Challenge #03: A book that became a movie.

Si ya viste la película y amas Jumanji, no leas este libro. Repito, no leas este libro. No dañes la ilusión.

Fin del comunicado.
Elyse
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was in my space this morning.... came up in conversation

A favorite in our house with my younger daughter especially! So, it's special to me too!!
Karrie
When I first reviewed Jumanji Toby responded that it was too bad that the movie ruined the beautiful surrealism of the book and drawings. Her comments made me take another look at this book. Instead of re-reading it to myself I decided to read it out loud with my 3rd graders. I have to admit that this class as a whole has ants in their pants and never sits still. Sometimes a couple of them will get up and walk around the reading circle as I'm reading.

I started out our story time by showing them
Jeannie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I read this to my great niece this weekend. It was her library book from school. She loved it! She loved the illustrations too! Great fun!
Katie Carson
I love the choice of the black and white illustrations of this book. Although Van Allsburg is known for this style of illustration in his books, I think he really uses it to his advantage in Jumanji. For example, note the shading from page to page. The second page, where the children leave the house and encounter the board game, the shading is much darker and provides a more ominous feeling that page before Peter and Judy say goodbye to their parents.

When the lion appears on the piano, not only
Josiah
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
As far as its illustrations go, Jumanji doesn't lag behind any book that had ever previously won the Caldecott Medal, in my view. Chris Van Allsburg's eerie use of shadowing is fantastic, and certainly deserving of the highest honors available to picture book illustrators. My first experience with this book was when my teacher read it to our class in first grade, and the scariness of the drawings has stayed with me ever since.

Readers who expect Jumanji to rival the movie adaptation in terms of
Jessica
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Definitely nothing like the movie! The author could have easily made an incredible full length book out of this, so I'm not sure why it's this short of a story.
Alexandra
11/1/17 $2.99 for Kindle.
Matthew
When I was in 3rd Grade I remember seeing this book circulating in the classroom and library and did not make the connection it was the book that would later be adapted to film but I remember glancing at it and found it to be boring with the black and white illustrations so I never bother reading it till completion. I was a huge fan growing up watching the film version with Robin Williams because I love the action, adventure, and of course the one and only Robin Williams.

Jump ahead now to 2016.
Dan Schwent
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-stuff
Loved the book. Not a tremendous fan of the movie due to Robin Williams.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Oh, dear.
I haven't seen the movie. It didn't seem to be my sort of thing, and besides...Robin Williams.
So yeah--no.
But I thought the book would be much better.
Silly me.
That's not to say it couldn't have been excellent, if the author had written a young person's novel. As it is, it's short and scamped. You mean they just sit there and move the pieces...and...nothing?
Yeah. Nothing.
I was hoping there would be some actual story here. You know, like the two siblings learn to work together to solve th
Bookishrealm
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who's interested in the origin of Jumanji the movie
Recommended to Bookishrealm by: Co-Worker
I didn't really like this one. And I think it's because I love the movie so much. The story just seemed over-simplified, but the artwork was amazing which is why it definitely won the Caldecott Award! If you haven't read it definitely give it a try and then watch the movie and see how much they changed and adapted the book to fit the big screen.
Kristin
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like books that end with us knowing what might happen next!
Anna  (Bananas!)
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The art makes this book. Gorgeous.
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
This was simple and quick. There were three messages for children to learn, but I don't feel like the story had a strong impact. The art was more impressive than the text. I enjoyed reading it just to be able to appreciate the film more.
Wilmarie
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This wonderful story was the Caldecott Medal winner for the year 1982, and an adaptation of this book was turned into a film in 1995 with deceased actor Robin Williams as the main character. The book and The film adaptation are both set around a Medicaid board game called Jumanji where real elements of the jungle are occur where you are playing. The book tells the story about a brother and sister named Peter and Judy Shepherd, respectively, who are left alone in their house while their parents g ...more
Victoria
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elm-572
Jumanji, by Chris Van Allsburg, is a classic fantasy book that engages its readers in a thrilling tale of two children’s action packed jungle adventure while playing the game “Jumanji”. This book would be a wonderful read aloud for 2nd and 3rd graders. Van Allsburg’s rich and descriptive language provides great vocabulary exposure for young children. His diverse use of adjectives builds the setting for the reader while powerful verbs bring actions to life. The elaborate descriptions through the ...more
Kathryn
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Such a wonderful idea and so full of potential, but I felt that the illustrations didn't match the excitement conveyed by the text. Nothing seemed particularly exciting even when the kids were supposed to be all thrills and chills with all the terrifying and exciting events. I'm also wondering, is this meant to be a cautionary tale? The dangers that can befall us when we allow ourselves to be bored? Or is it a celebration of imagination and what we can create when we allow ourselves to think bey ...more
Dolly
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Fun story with detailed and realistic black and white illustrations. It might be a little scary for younger audiences, but great for older children. Our girls enjoyed the suspense of the story and we really enjoyed reading it together.

This book was selected as one of the books for the January 2016- Quarterly Caldecott discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Thomas Salerno
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-collection
One of my favorite childhood picture books. I finally got myself this beautiful 30th anniversary edition. Includes the excellent audio version narrated by the late Robin Williams on CD (I had it on cassette tape back in the day!) I'm really looking forward to listening to it again.

Jumanji is a true classic.
Olivia Henderson
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this book! I like how the illustrations are black and white and they really add to the story. The storyline is interesting and engaging, how the game comes to life is exciting! Would definitely recommend this book.
2017 Reading Chal...: Jumanji 1 17 Feb 09, 2015 03:53PM
  • Chanticleer and the Fox
  • Arrow to the Sun
  • Frog Went a-Courtin'
  • Joseph Had a Little Overcoat
Chris was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan on June 18, 1949, the second child of Doris Christiansen Van Allsburg and Richard Van Allsburg. His sister Karen was born in 1947.

Chris’s paternal grandfather, Peter, owned and operated a creamery, a place where milk was turned into butter, cream, cottage cheese, and ice cream. It was named East End Creamery and after they bottled the milk (and made the ot

Jumanji (2 books)