Start by marking “Shabby Chic” as Want to Read:
Shabby Chic

Shabby Chic

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  334 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"Shabby Chic is as unpretentious as its author, including thoughts about what works and what doesn't, tips on how to shop at a flea market, inspirational photographic illustrations and plenty of encouragement." —Los Angeles Daily News
Rachel Ashwell’s bestselling guide to home furnishings, flower arrangements, flea-market finds, tag-sale treasures, and more continues to
Published June 21st 1996 by Harper Design

To ask other readers questions about Shabby Chic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shabby Chic

Sheryl Tribble
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was a mom with little ones when this book came out, and it was a wonderful surprise. A designer who used loose slip covers and flea market furniture that hadn't been necessarily been refinished or otherwise spiffed up? I'm halfway there!

A very sensible style for people with young kids, assuming you're not lighting candles and wandering off or something similar. Slip covers are a lot easier to clean than furniture, and things getting dinged up a bit is not such a big deal. Some of her subsequen
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful photography and helpful information along the way.
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Fun to look at.
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks wanting to understand design trends
much less compelling and inspirational than i'd hoped it'd be. sort of confirms my uncharitable assumption that shabby chic is kind of gross.

i thought that since i love tone-on-tone decoration with a huge emphasis on mixing of materials, patina, and function that i just might like a good chunk of shabby chic, even though i've always found the peeling-paint thing and yards of ruffles to be a repellent mixture of dirtiness and twee.

ashwell, originator of the design trend and coiner of the term sh
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Rachel Ashwell's writing technique, down to earth. She has a lot more flea markets at her disposal and antique stores but her advice and the way she puts it is very understanding and most of all doable. I don't believe this type of decorating will ever go out of style as some people have said - I like the lived in look and not the pompous look, where you're afraid to touch anything as you might get it dirty! Everyone loves my "shabby chic" at home and comment how "comfortable" and relaxed ...more
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
It pains me to give this book 2 out of 5 stars, but her other books were so on-point that this one left a lot to be desired. There weren't a lot of photographs to go along with the captions--that was disappointing. There were a few tips and designs that blew me away, but the overall book was not what I expected. I don't think I would read this book again, and I most likely would not recommend it. Sorry, Rachel, I still love ya.
Melissa Bond
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Of all the books by Rachel Ashwell, this is by far the most informative and inspiring of them all. It really sparks the imagination, and gives a complete view of the Shabby Chic style. I would have loved it more if it included more illustrations, but that's just my opinion. It does include the most of all the other books. Also improved is the variety in the styling & locations made over.
Nov 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I found this book useful and inspiring. I've used some of the ideas in my own home, especially the way in which she uses white fabric to cover things. Together with the book on white home decor, it has proved useful in helping me decorate a bit of my home.
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-aesthetics
Fresh ideas on utilitarian decor & what constitutes "art" and artistic value. I could not overlook, however, the plethora of misspelled words & grammtical errors. *3.5/5 stars*
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think I just like the photography and the ideas it inspires....
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, design
Non-Fiction; Home Improvement
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: home-decor
It was good. Nice pictures, and good ideas, but a bit overwhelming and I'm not sure I'm creative enough to enact many of the loose ideas.
Shallowreader VaVeros
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A friend once called my home "shabby chic". I did not take this as a compliment.
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous photos! Great ideas! A book I look though over and over.
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-improvement
Needs more pictures and an update but otherwise it is wonderful!
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cottages like Grandma's!
Michael Heath-Caldwell
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design, design-decor
Good book on well worn fashionable interiors.
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
an OK book. but my favorite thing was the stamps used on the paper plates, so simple and yet elegant.
Jan 02, 2009
rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Living With Books
  • Apartment Therapy presents real homes, real people, hundreds of real design solutions
  • Good Things for Organizing
  • House Beautiful Decorating with Books: Use Your Library to Enhance Your Decor
  • Where Women Create: Inspiring Work Spaces of Extraordinary Women
  • Books Make a Home: Elegant ideas for storing and displaying books
  • Quick and Easy Paint Transformations: 50 Step-by-Step Ways to Makeover Your Home for Next to Nothing
  • Downtown Chic: Designing Your Dream Home: From Wreck to Ravishing

• A Room of One's Own
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be