Start by marking “Aussie Rules” as Want to Read:
Aussie Rules

Aussie Rules

Mel is busy trying to keep her life together when Bo Black enters the picture. Dashing, mysterious & enticing, Bo instantly captivates her. Luckily she resists her urges long enough to realize that Bo is really there to take back ownership of the airport Mel has worked so hard to maintain.
Published June 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published May 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Aussie Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aussie Rules

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBet Me by Jennifer Crusie
Favorite Romances
654 books — 312 voters
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireBared to You by Sylvia DayMystery Man by Kristen AshleyFifty Shades Freed by E.L. James
Possessive Men
511 books — 699 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Aussie Rules
Stephanie Landis
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was really digging this fun, easy read with enough suspense & mystery to keep me guessing when I realized something-- in the beginning it seemed like pretty much every time the main characters, Bo & Mel, started some sexy time, she would protest or ask him to stop, and Bo would ignore her protests and keep pushing until she gave in and said 'yes' because it was obvious she really wanted him. Sure Bo wasn't aggressive or forceful and if Mel had truly wanted him to stop I think he would ...more
Cruth
Aug 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
"Putting his fist through a wall sounded good. So did dragging Mel down to the floor and stripping off those coveralls to find the soft, warm woman he knew his in there somewhere. Oh, yeah, getting her to whimper and pant his name in hungry desperate need would go a long way toward dissolving his temper, that was for damn sure.
But chances were she wouldn't go easy. She'd probably fight and claw and bite, and though that might be fun another time, he wasn't in the mood for that kid of thing at
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
** 3.5 stars **

Easy reading contemporary with a hot Aussie hero. But it was actually the romance between the secondary characters, Dimi and Danny which piqued my interest.
Bekah
Mar 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jill Shalvis fans
Shelves: read-own, 2011-reads
3.75*

Mel Anderson’s life is flying. Her business is flying; but when Bo Black walks back into her life he puts everything she holds dear in jeopardy. Once a boy she held a major crush on, this Aussie has come back all grown man with a taste for revenge on his tongue. That is until he gets a taste of Mel’s kisses.

I really liked this book. Once I opened it up and got into it, I just didn’t want to put it down. I loved all of Bo’s “G’day Mates” and his swaggering confidence and cocky one liners. I
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
So far I have enjoyed all of the books I've read by Jill Shalvis. They are witty and fun and the story moves along at a good pace. This one was no exception.
Mel and Bo are both real characters that are likable and have a good chemistry. The secondary characters were all fun, too. They added the extra zing to the story.
There was a bit of a mystery to be solved that kept the characters together, but seemed to be secondary to the main plot line. I liked how all of the characters had to develop to
Notserp2002
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a second from a new to me author that i really enjoyed!
Jane
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
It took me a while to finish this book because I put it aside to read at least one other book. Why? Because I had to read books that had to be returned to the library AND because it just didn't hold my attention. A book has to be really bad for me not to finish reading it. This was not the case with "Aussie Rules," however. But it IS a book I was able to put aside.

Part of the problem, I think, is because I felt it is overly long. I kept hearing myself say, "Oh, just get on with it already,
Char
Sep 19, 2007 rated it liked it
I read this because it was nominated for a Rita award, and it was a fun read. From Booklist, Mel and Dimi were only 16 when their world fell apart, and for the past 10 years, the young women have been pretending to themselves and everyone else that their mentor and role model, Sally, will be back any time now to resume control of the airport where they've been covering for her all this time. But when Bo Black unexpectedly arrives from Australia looking for Sally to exact vengeance for her theft ...more
Just - The romance reader
Through reading the Wilder series I have been come a devoted fan of Jill Shalvis. I have to admit that I didn't find myself addicted to Aussie Rules in the same way that I have been addicted to the other Shalvis novels I have read, which so far have all been in the Wilder series. However, I wasn't disappointed.

Aussie Rules is a good light read, a great way to kick back and relax. Bo Black is on serious hunk o man, a perfect fantasy, complete with sexy accent and save the day instincts. The
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I just plain old didn't care for this one as much. There wasn't anything wrong with it per se. I just didn't care for the heroine or the hero all that much. And if there aren't very likable characters, it's hard to get into a character driven story. I don't really see anything wrong with it, just not anything special either. Still a light sexy contemporary romance, just missed for me on this one. A low three out of five.
Marg
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Was worried about having the main male character be Australian but it was better than it could have been. Occasional odd use of the word g'day and too many darlin's but other than that not bad.

this is the last standalone novel that my library has that I hadn't read yet.
Traann
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really Cute early book by Jill Shalvis. You can see her talent developing here. She is one of my go to authors.
Danielle Zwissler
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re an avid romance reader like me, then you will probably already know the name “Jill Shalvis”. Jill’s books are funny, romantic and always have an amazing “hero” that you can easily fall in love with. This book, “Aussie Rules”, doesn’t disappoint.

Melanie Anderson is a pilot, and she has had a love of flying since she was a kid, hanging around airports and meeting a motley crew of people that she now calls family.

When she was a teen, she met Bo Black, a laid-back Aussie that was not only
Julie Eichelberger-Ford
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although this is one of Jill Shalvis' older books, I just discovered it. It is a fun, easy read with a touch of drama and mystery. This is a story of righting past wrongs and discovering that some people are not who they appear to be. Mel Anderson had a bad childhood until she met Sally, then with Sally's help Mel achieved her dreams. Bo's father was in love with Sally years ago but when the relationship ended secrets and deceit were revealed. Now Bo is trying to recover his inheritance and Mel ...more
Christine
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting story that I couldn't ultimately enjoy because the "hero" wouldn't take no for an answer. Apparently Mel really wants him underneath all that protesting, but their "chemistry" felt more stressful and icky than sexy to me. By contrast, there's a secondary male character who is so careful and respectful of the woman he's in love with, which was far more attractive.
Anita Fick
Not her best work

I felt the author rushed writing this book. The connection between Melanie and Dimi struggled. I had to question Dimi motives all through the book. Was not one of her best works I am glad I only paid .99. The only good thing about Bo is that he was a Aussie
Well at least I know Jill has written several better books than this one
Marilyn
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romance and Suspense

This is a really entertaining book, good characters, and a little bit of mystery. I love the secondary characters, too, as usual in a Jill Shalvis novel. I'm not sure how I missed this one before, but I'm glad to have found it!
Barbara
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

There is some language and quite a bit of sex, but there is also heart, romance, suspense and drama to go along with it. Along with several HEA’s.
Amy
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I didnt enjoy it as much as the other series I read by this author. Found it all a bit shaky. Still some funny lines and still and enjoyable read.
Kerry
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Shalvis' books are so much fun!
Nancy H
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute romance with a bit of mystery thrown in, this is a good beach read.
Cait
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Loved this one! And I can't believe that it took me until now to stumble across it. Great read.
Lorelei Frank
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it

Can't go wrong with a Jill Shalvis story! Fun read. Mel is a great character and No is a great co-worker character!
Nibrock
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
A really slow start. I thought it would end a bit differently. A little bit too all over the place, with everyone trying to be secondary characters.
Lindsay
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
You shouldn’t have a dog on the cover of the book if there isn’t a dog in the book.
Sara
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. The characters felt real as where their situations. Some very hot scenes as well.
Sarah Eiseman
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Sarahsbookshelf.com:

One of my favorite times during the summer is when I get to read a Jill Shalvis book. She never seems to disappoint and today’s book was no exception. Aussie Rules is an older, single title novel that was published in 2006. It was a fun little novel about a man returning to claim some deeded property and clear his father’s besmirched name. The property is coming to claim is a small air strip run by Mel Anderson and her bestie, Deme. These two were taken
mizlanah
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this because I wanted another dose from Jill Shalvis whilst waiting for new book to release in her Lucky Harbor series.

In my opinion, the premise is not really about love story. It's more like mystery with suspense and added bonus lust. In this book, Bo Black, an Australian hottie and previously joined military came to North Beach to clear his late dad's marred name. Few years back his dad was conned by a woman named Sally, who was very dear to Mel. So Mel here, she loves flying so
Jane
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jill-shalvis
Being a huge Jill Shalvis fan I had high expectations from Aussie Rules. Don't get me wrong it was a good book just not as good as a lot of her others.

Mel is a pilot full of gumption and works at North Beach Air, in fact she pretty much runs it. Sally, the owner, has mysteriously disappeared and Mel is unable to reach her. Along comes Bo Black claiming to be the rightful owner of the airstrip and has the deed to prove it.

Mel takes an instant dislike to Bo and doesn't trust him at all. But there
« previous 1 3 next »

• Christmas in Harmony Harbor
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Barefoot Beach (Harmony Harbor #8)
  • Take Me Now (The Knight Brothers #3.5)
  • Hot Under the Collar (The Dogmothers, #1)
  • Boone (Buckhorn Brothers, #5.7)
  • The Best Bride (Hometown Heartbreakers #1)
  • To Tame a Wild Cowboy (Cupid, Texas #7)
  • The Summer of Sunshine and Margot
  • How to Knit a Wild Bikini (Billionaire's Beach, #1)
  • Snowfall on Cedar Trail (Sweetwater Springs #3)
  • Secret Seduction (Secret , #1)
  • Lavender & Mistletoe
  • The Fire Inside (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #7)
  • The Best of Friends
  • Three Dog Night (The Dogmothers, #2)
  • Sisters of Summer's End (Summer Resort #2)
  • The View from Alameda Island

Look for Jill's latest, LOST AND FOUND SISTERS on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's