Start by marking “Conscript (Star Defenders #1)” as Want to Read:
Conscript (Star Defenders #1)

Conscript

(Star Defenders #1)

Conscripted and forced to fight for her life.Seventeen-year-old Vega Volante was almost done with her mandatory service to the Axis government. Everyone had told her it would be easy—in and out.Then, the hostile aliens invaded.Now, she slaves away training and retooling a mining ship for war as part of the Star Defenders.All Vega wants is to get home to her family. So, whe ...more
Published November 14th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Conscript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conscript

Start your review of Conscript (Star Defenders #1)
Pamela Gossiaux
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Star Trek Meets Harry Potter!

I absolutely loved this author’s “Ionia Chronicles” so I was thrilled to hear she has a new series coming out! I read Conscript quickly and didn't want to put it down!

Author Pamela Stewart has a gift for world-building. Her universe in Conscript, specifically the ship, was so visual to me I felt like I was watching a Star Trek episode! I could smell the acrid odor of fuel and feel the metal hum of the ship beneath my feet, as she created a world for her characters. L
T.A. Chan
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, THAT COVER!! <3 <3 <3 I love how the character on the cover perfectly matched up with Vega's don't-fuck-with-me attitude.

Okay, cover aside, this novel was one helluva rollercoaster ride with nonstop action right from the get go. The cast ensemble was a delightful mix of personalities--from Commander Wu's hard-assery to Amelie's genius-level smarts to Dax's chillax 'ttude. I really enjoyed seeing how the various characters evolved throughout the course of the plot.

Speaking of plot,
Joey Paul
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up because the blurb sounded interesting and that cover is amazing! I'm not usually a bit sci-fi reader, but this was an amazing book and pulled me in on the first chapter. Following Vega through her conscription, through finding out what's really going on on the ship and everything else that goes with it. It's beautifully written and will make you love the characters, even the ones that seem unlikable! I very much enjoyed it and will be looking forward to the next in the series!
Carol Brandon
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A rollicking sci for adventure with a spunky heroine. She’s a reluctant hero ... but she won’t leave anyone behind. I could not put this down! I received a free copy of this book, with no obligation.
saintlouis
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful story. Solid story line, characters were well rounded and enough action to keep you on the edge of my seat. Humor offsets the intensity of the story. I read the prequel, Salvage, and that set the stage for this wonderful book. Action comes fast, ferocious and in large quantities. An intriguing mystery Is interwoven in the story, a lot of hints but no conclusion. If you like science fiction and mystery this one is a real winner.
K Elise
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got to read an advanced copy of this at the courtesy of the author in exchange for a review. I have mixed feelings about it. I enjoyed it to some extent, but there were problems that really detracted, for me. There are a lot of proofreading errors. I can understand a few, because things slip by even the best proof readers sometimes, but this has heaps of errors, some of which cause confusion within the dialogue.

There is also inconsistency both in the details of some of the action, and within t
Xanthe
Conscript is the first of a thrilling new sci-fi trilogy set in space that hits all my favorite tropes as our heroine, Vega, a new conscript to the Axis military, has to find a way to prove herself, make friends, stay alive, and – oh, yeah – maybe survive the coming alien attack, all while being a weirdo Planetborn – an oddity among the other new soldiers her age who were mostly born on one of the many stations or satellites that make up the Axis. Due to the renewed threat from tentacle-y aliens ...more
Kim
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy, ku, ya
Conscript
by Pamela Stewart
Book One of Star Defenders series
Release date: 11/14/19
Rating: 4/5

This story was so much fun! Having never read anything from this author before, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed her storytelling! Pamela Stewart has created a super interesting world that I would love to get lost in. Her characters are flawed but the reader still wants to root for them and discover the truth. Definitely lost some sleep trying to finish the story.

Vega Volante is a 17-year-
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I saw this book advertised somewhere else (can't remember where) and decided it looked interesting enough to try. On the whole, I enjoyed the book and it has that "underdog saves the day" scenario that I really enjoy in a book. The story was compelling and the characters interesting. There were enough pieces of action to keep things moving along. The one thing that I really thought could have been better was some of the character backgrounds and the interaction between characters in the military ...more
Emily
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! It's a very strong start to a new space opera series. The characters are likable, the plot is interesting and has excellent pacing, and the universe has great potential. The main character, Vega, is a totally kickass heroine who, despite being good enough at things to be a convincing lead, isn't perfect at everything (which I find happens often in books and makes characters wonder-saviors and I think that's terribly boring). She listens to her friends and they actually ...more
Tiffany
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I wanted to write and post this review to share my honest experiences toward the story. It is an exciting, sci-fi thriller filled with action and suspense, and a great theme of friendship.

Imagine being conscripted to fight a war in space? Excited? Our heroine, Vega Volante, isn’t. All she wants is to go home to her family. When a chance for officer training opens up, Vega jumps at the chance. The only problem is that there are only five slots available, and she isn’t th
Jill Urbanek Gauger
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.
Vega Volante was set to go home after mandatory service was over. Then the aliens attacked and she was conscripted to continue her service.
New recruits Amelie, Daxson(Dax) Smith and Vega are grouped together for a flying lesson by Commander Wu. Everything is going good as they are moving the shuttle into place when all Hell breaks out. Things go from bad to worse but the 3 become true friends. Ethan is Dax’s roommate and swoon worthy and good at everything but Vega is
Irene S
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
All Vega wanted was to go home to her home planet, but instead she instead she goes to a remote mining starship to see if she has the potential to be a starship pilot. Vega has two strikes going against her. First she is planetborn and the second is that she was the one that saw the aliens. Potentially deadly accidents start happening to the recruits. Vega and her new mates will need to work together to stay safe. I received a free copy of this ebook from Six Queens. This is my honest and volunt ...more
Christina Morley
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This sci-fi is a page-turner! It has good world-building, interesting characters, plenty of action, and a bit of romance. Accidents are happening and they seem to always be around Vega Volante. When she steps in to help, her motives are questioned. It's hard to make friends when everyone is against you, but Vega holds on to her inner compass and eventually builds a few lasting friendships. They want to make it into the Academy, but will they survive the rust bucket with all the strange happening ...more
Noeline Quinlan
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great Adventure

I'm not good at expressing myself in a review. But I had to for this series as it looks like it will be a great adventure. Action from start to finish just the way I like it, finally a series without sulking and winning characters. You won't be disappointed with this book or the way Pamela Stewart takes you on an amazing journey.
Tera Comer
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Fast paced and non-stop action that put me through a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Great world building and interesting characters surrounding Vega. I enjoyed how we slowly learn about the characters backgrounds and the history of the universe while we read through the book. I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book
Crystal
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vega just wants to finish her time and get home to help her parents. However due to events her time is extended. Along the way, she managed to make some real friendships. Even with all that is going on she remains a kind and decent person. I look forward to seeing what Vega, Amelie and Dax get up to in the next book.
Marti
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I loved the team of Vega, Dax, Amalie, and Ethan! Yes, they are brilliant but they are also real people. Great story. I can hardly wait for the next one!

Disclaimer: I received an advance reader copy of this book with no strings attached.
Sarah Carner
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our MC, Vega, is kind of an outcast bc of her past. Great groups of characters. Touch of romance. Mystery. You slowly learn about the characters' background and the universe history as the story goes. Creative world building. Fun ride.
NanaShauna Joesten
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow this is a fantastic read. Its fast paced and epically written. This Author has brought a fantastic book to fruition and the characters are fantastic as well. They really bring out the characters. This to me is right up there with divergent. I definitely recommend.
Shauna Joesten

Tabytha L
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not sure how I feel about this book. It was not one of my normal genres I usually read but thought " why not"? The characters are well written and the story was good. The character conflicts were surprising and I find I am curious enough to want to see what happens it the next one.
Timi B
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pre-teen level YA fiction
Kelly S
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic world building...I can't wait to see where this series goes. I love how the main character turns what others see as inadequacies into strengths.
Jack Stanley
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Just Loved It

Vegas. Dax, Am and Ethan do make a great team. I am interested in the rest of the series and will be reading it.
Adrienne
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book had a lot of potential. Sometimes, I even thought it could be 4 stars. However, the main character was actually very terrible with little growth. There were also typos.
Sara Stopp
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

What a great story! Can’t wait for book 2! Very excited to see where the story goes. Loved all the characters.
Bobbie Kirkland
Dec 04, 2019
Michelle Marshall
Dec 12, 2019
dennis
Dec 18, 2019
Pamela Stewart
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: My Book Listed Under Different Author 3 10 Oct 02, 2019 07:46PM

• Planet Killer (Star Kingdom #6)
  • Border Wars (Hayden War Cycle, #8)
  • Who Can Own the Stars? (April Book 12)
  • Stowaway (Redleg in Space #1)
  • The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)
  • Tempered: A Space Opera Military Adventure (Space Chef, #1)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • Midnight Torment (Midnight Pack, #3)
  • My Guys
  • The Bake Shop
  • Silver Fox & The Western Hero: Warrior Reborn: A LitRPG/Wuxia Novel - Book 1
  • Midnight Smoke (Firebrand #3)
  • Charms and Death and Explosions (oh my!) (Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #2)
  • Stitches in Time (The Deacon's Family, #2)
  • Familiar Magic (London Coven, #1)
  • Luminous (Dragon's Creed, #1)
  • Wonderland Academy: Year One
  • Wastelands (Rogan's Monsters #1)