Start by marking “The Age of Witches” as Want to Read:
The Age of Witches

The Age of Witches

Louisa Morgan, author of A Secret History of Witches, returns with another riveting tale of family, witchcraft, and love that spans generations, set in Gilded Age New York and London.

Harriet Bishop, descended from a long line of witches, uses magic to help women in need -- not only ordinary women, but also those with powers of their own. She must intervene when a distant
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Redhook

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Witches

Start your review of The Age of Witches
Ash
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of A Secret History of Witches
DNF ~25%.

Thank you to NetGalley and Redhook Books for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I read Louisa Morgan’s first book, A Secret History of Witches. It wasn’t a favorite of mine, but I enjoyed it enough that when I saw The Age of Witches on NetGalley, I thought it might at least be worth a read. I went in expecting more of what I got from ASHOW: a story that centers female characters and female relationships, a charming writing style, a lackluster plot, and a hint of
Leslie Pinson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, 2019-read
This is a story of a young woman and her first excursions into magic and the effect it has on her life and those around her. There are strong female characters and close relationships.
Anne Monteith
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free digital ARC through Netgalley in exchange for a honest, unbiased review. I sincerely thank Netgalley, author and/or publisher for giving me this opportunity.

This is a story of three generations of witches and two different types of magic. They are all descended from Bridget Bishop who was executed for witchcraft during the Salem Witch Era. Furious at her fate, she vowed to watch over her descendants and through them punish all men who think they can control women.

A century
Ally
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Oh my witchy goodness!

The Age of Witches is a neat little tale about three witches in 1890 New York City. Everyone's mother is dead, this has created some T-R-A-U-M-A and each witch deals with it a bit differently. It's a classic tale of good vs. evil but with its own spin. We get some familial drama, a little bit of romance, and a whole lot of MAGICK.

I truly loved this book. The main female characters were interesting and you felt for each and every one of them. Kindness and justice are a huge
Elzecatreads
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley for a free copy of this e-book in exchange for an honest review.

The Age of Witches, due to be published on April 7, 2020, is Louisa Morgan's newest book in the loosely connected series of books that begins with A Secret History of Witches.

The book begins with a prologue set in 1692 focusing on the death of accused witch Bridget Bishop, and then jumps easily to 1890s New York and England. The story's protagonist is Annis, a beautiful, headstrong 17 year-old who loves horses,
Kaycee Sterling
Annis doesn’t know who or what she is. She just knows she loves her horse and has dreams for them both. Harriet knows, but has kept her distance from her great niece until she had no choice but to intervene when a family member try’s to use Annis as a pawn in her own game to earn more prestige. Together Annis and Harriet try to fix the dark magic in motion and try not to lose themselves to the darkness in the process.

I was really excited to win this book through a Goodreads giveaway. It looked
Cam
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for the book to review. I found this book long winded and not my favorite when it comes to witchcraft. This felt like more like women being called witches due to their knowledge of herbs/ and they help others. The should have been called The Age of the Herbs and throw in a evil step mother to have a villain. The story didn’t do much for me but the writing style was great.
Tanja
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young independent woman finds herself in the crossfire of spells and love in the latest novel by Louisa Morgan.

It’s the Gilded Age and 17 year old Annis, the heiress to an extremely successful stove company in New York City is ushered overseas to find a husband to secure her step-mother’s status. The arrangement reeks of magicked manipulation and the story takes a dark turn when the innocent become the victims of self-interested witches.

There are dark grimoires, magical spells, amulets, and
Cdhutson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This went by too fast. It had witches, magic, dark magic and a little but not too much romance
Tracett
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The Age of Witches is a fine blend of Victorian historical romance and a family saga of witches. Not my favorite of the three “witch” books Morgan has written but still a compelling read that had me reading until far too late into the night. I have loved her use of history and philosophical questions that run through her other two witch books but this one was a little light in that regard. Yes, there were deeper touches here and there but no more than you might read in many current historical ...more
Rebecca Goss
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written book that depicts the treatment of women with special abilities throughout history. Annis defies characterization of her time period because she rejects societal notions that she should behave in a specific way because she is a woman. Her step-mother has a streak of evil but the readers will see how she struggled throughout her life. I enjoyed this book immensely and recommend it wholeheartedly.
Evelyn Carrillo
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I stated reading this book and I absolutely love it. Great writing, great plot. I will add to this review when I finish reading it, but so far it is a winner.
Alison Kelly
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Spoiler Review from www.bossylibrarian.com

Age of Witches is a perfect candidate for a good old fashioned book burning. Honestly, if some ultra-conservative Christian church group doesn’t buy boxes of this book with the sole intention of burning them, they are missing out!

Not only is this book about witches, but the main characters are basically the 1890s version of feminists. These witches refuse to submit to the men in their lives, and they go even further, using their power to influence men
(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Kasey ♥
**Disclaimer: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.**

I've been embracing a lot more historical fiction lately. The feelings you experience while reading "The Age of Witches" is how you feel while reading "A Discovery of Witches" - it's mystical and romantic, but more realistic than fantastical. ADoW has Daemons, Vampires, and Werewolves, whereas TAoW has only "hedgewitches," and "herbalists."

The romance between James and Annis leaves much to the
Jackie
A tale of the Byshop/Bishop witches that spans lineage stretching back a full century to first woman who bestowed her talents, one Bridget Byshop, one side practicing the light and one side practicing the darker magics of witchcraft.

In this particular story we actually follow along with Frances (Bishop) Allington, her older cousin Harriet Bishop and young Annis Allington as their paths intersect and lives take different paths.

A story of family secrets and inherited family magical powers that
Becky
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to NetGalley and RedHook books.

This story takes place in the late 19th century, primarily in NY, but with a little in England. It is told from the point of view of several characters: Harriet, Annis, Frances, and James, Harriet and Frances are witches and distant cousins from two different lines of Bishop descendants. Annis is also a Bishop descendant and a witch, but she doesn't know that in the beginning.

The story is a
Tracy
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I've read by Louisa Morgan and it wasn't quite what I expected but it kept me reading through until the end. I liked the time period in which this story was set and the family rivalry. Harriet was my favorite character in this book because she was a single lady who seemed a bit reclusive. Her vast knowledge and dedication to the use of herbs appealed to me. Overall, I loved most of the characters and the story had a nice flow to it. The romance was a nice touch too.

I
Melissa
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of Louisa Morgan and greatly enjoy her books. This one is no exception. Beautifully crafted, it is the story of 3 related witches and the paths they choose to follow

It explores the disparity of power between men and women, particularly at the end of the 19th century. It illustrates women's fight for autonomy and Independence and the various lengths they go to in order to achieve it.

I highly recommend this for all lovers of fantasy and romance.

I was given an advance copy of this
Jen
Feb 13, 2020 added it
This is a story of self-discovery and finding your own power. Annis learns that she is a witch, but not your stereotypical witch. One branch of her family uses herbalism and has good intentions; one branch of her family has discovered an evil type of power. The women in this book have to learn to empower and protect each other. I enjoyed the story line, the unexpected romance, and the depth if the characters. Highly recommend!
Adeann
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***Thank you to NetGalley and Redhook Books for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Release date April 7, 2020.***

4 stars

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. My first concern was that each chapter followed one of four main characters…I usually don’t like this because the changing POV tends to be abrupt. In this story however, the story still flowed well for me.

The beginning seemed to be a little slow, but to be honest, many books are. After the initial set up, the
Sue
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Pleasant enough read touching on women’s rights, witches, horses, the Gilded Age. No one is especially appealing in this story. The rather odd ending makes one wonder if there will be a sequel.

Thanks to Net Galley for the Advance Readers Copy
Kat
#TheAgeofWitches
Thank you to Redhook and Edelweiss for the E-arc copy of The Age of Witches.
If you want to read a great book with a well plotted story then this book is for you. It has great female characters.
Alicia Allen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
The Age of Witches is a story about 3 descendants of Bridget Byshop from the Salem Witch Trials. Though the book is fiction, some of it is based on fact.
The story takes place in New York in the 1800’s.
The villain deserved a better plot than this.
The Age Of Witches is yet another novel that the story doesn’t match the title.
I am not saying that this was a terrible read, but the characters deserved better. Annie deserved a better story arc than to fall in love with someone who was involved in a
Beth Oliver
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
《《I recieved this ebook from NETGALLEY for review.》》

This is my first Lousia Morgan Book, but it didn't disappoint.
It's a historical fiction about witches.
More specifically a line of witches.
Family drama in the 1800s
One split down the middle on how they practice and look at their magic.
Told in 4 different point of views.
Annis, Frances, Harriet, James.
I did get where I liked some more than others. Which I suppose is the whole point of good writing.

Beautifully blended history with fantasy
Jennifer Holloway Jones
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
There is just something so magical about a book from Louisa Morgan. This book was no exception. Annis comes from a long line of witches, however has no idea of this until she is whisked away to America by her step-mother to find a wealthy groom. Francis uses her dark magic to help aide in magicking the marquis to be bewitched with Annis and tries to use the same magic to propel Annis towards a groom. Unfortunately, Annis' aunt Harriet becomes involved and is able to stop her. Annis was unaware ...more
Jen
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was OK, I didn't abandon it.

The Age of Witches by Louisa Morgan features a family of witches with historical roots, some benevolent magic vs manipulative magic for self-interest, a social climbing stepmother, a young woman fighting for independence, a little romance.

Like with ghost stories, witch stories always appeal to me, but rarely satisfy me. Although I didn't want to abandon it, The Age of Witches didn't make me want to seek out the author again. For me, it promised more than it
Maudaevee
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I enjoyed the family rivalry, with the 2 lines of magic. The writing was really well done, the characters were interesting and the story was paced nicely.

Thank you Netgalley and publisher for providing a review copy.
Cheryl Henry
Jan 14, 2020 marked it as to-read
The Book Beggar
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The Age of Witches is a tale of love, ambition, desire, audacity and, most importantly, magic. The Bishop women have, for centuries, used their magic to achieve a certain end. While most are using that end to help aid others with cantrips and electuaries, potions for health and good fortune. Some use their magic to impose their will on others. Not knowing it, Annis Allington is part of this Bishop bloodline, trapped between her own will, and that of her stepmother. She soon discovers the truth ...more
Faith
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks Netgalley for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

“Witch should be a beautiful word, signifying wisdom and knowledge and discipline, but it isn’t used that way. It’s been made an insult, implying evil, causing fear. The word has been perverted.”

Pick up The Age of Witches for an exciting tale of a girl born to a line of witches with no knowledge of her family history. As she seeks to make her way in a world built for men, her step-mother seeks to use dark magic to manipulate

• Turning Darkness Into Light
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City
  • One Way
  • American Magic: A Thriller
  • The White Man's Guide to White Male Writers of the Western Canon
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Acid For The Children
  • The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
  • The Poppy Wife: A Novel of the Great War
  • Blood: A Memoir
  • Sarah Jane
  • In the Night Wood
  • A Song for a New Day
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller!
  • Nevermore (Raven Crawford, #2)
  • Hi Five (IQ, #4)