Start by marking “Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life” as Want to Read:
Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life

Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  1,228 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
You’re stuck in the airport security line, late for a flight. The line isn’t moving. You’re angry at the security personnel for taking so long, you’re irritated at the other passengers for having so much stuff, you’re mad at your boss for sending you on this trip in the first place. By the time you get to your gate you’re angry, deflated, and exhausted. Then someone cuts i ...more
Published October 10th 2006 by Harmony (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ruling Your World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruling Your World

Clark Chamberlain
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a life changing book!
I have read Ruling Your World four times now and each time I go back I see new insights. You don't need to be Buddhist in order to read this book and gain your own insights that can be put into your own life. My life, especially in the military, has always been in a constant state of change; probably just like yours. Those changes can bring a lot of stress and pain, this book has helped me find ways to accept change and find more peace in my day to day life.
Krystal
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: think-deep
Loved it. This is the perfect companion for those trying to find more from life. It has Eastern wisdom written in a way that relates to those of the Western world without sounding cliche or arrogant. The anecdotes remind you that the author is still human, and allow you to be a little kinder to yourself while on your own journey towards enlightenment. It's all about finding happiness through letting go of the self; very similar in ideas to Eckhardt Tolle's work but unique in its sincerity. Reall ...more
Hedry
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This is my second time reading this book. I don't know if I've ever read the same book twice before... so I suppose that is testament to whether I liked it.

The middle gets a bit vague and uses a lot of jargon. I have found that many of these eastern philosophy self-help kind of books fall into a pattern of presenting their ideas as 8-step programs. For example, these are the four paths, within which are 4 other sub-paths, and these are the steps, and this is the order one needs to follow. After
pri
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Excellent book on meditation and the nature of the mind. I really like Sakyong Mipham's writing style.

Quote: We're not playing Pollyanna, we're learning to let go and fly in the space of things as they are. Meditation has shown us that our mind is not solid. It is not made of earth. We cannot measure basic goodness. What brings measure to mind is expectation - hope and fear. Knowing the reality of change, we accept gain and loss - no hope and fear attached. When we do this, we become naturally
Carol Johnson
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
So I wanted to start the year out with an inspirational book that would lead me to inner peace. I had purchased this book at the Shambhala Center in Red Feather Lakes, Colorado, some time ago. The subtitle "Ancient Strategies for Modern Life" appealed to me, as did the short chapters. But this book is really meaty and will take many readings before I even begin to understand all of the terms and concepts discussed. After reading the book, I decided to focus on one chapter at a time, in random or ...more
Jan 29, 2011 added it
I love this book, even after several readings. Not just as a Shammbhala Buddhist, but as a person who really wants to keep being more and more compassionate and open in a world that encourages people to shut down. Practical, honest, and beautifully written.
Mary Steuart
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Helping gain a more positive perspective.
Lisa
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Insightful and helpful.
Gordon Young
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism, philosphy
Another practical handbook for Shambhala Buddhism. Accessible to the general reader, but containing a comprehensive overview for the committed practitioner
StudioWellspring~Anjie
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
a must read, for everyone.
Skrinak
I haven't always been obsessed with wind. Now I'm unknowingly drawn to it in all it's forms, even in my casual reading.

I picked up "Ruling Your World" by Sakyong Mipham, an excellent (so far) presentation of his meditation experiences and training. He describes the energy of the basic goodness of the world as "lungta", which translates from Tibetan directly as "Windhorse". Having wanted to kiteboard for some time now and finally taking my introductory course I can say that's exact what the kite
Shinemoos
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very ideal but worth trying

Indeed the Rinpoche is full of wisdom, I guess all the best humanitarian discoveries are done over two thousand years ago, and the enlightened individuals like the Rinpoche are repeating and reaffirming them. Compassion, virtue, peace.
Daniel Goldberg
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So this is like the 20th time I've read this quick read. I remember when my good friend Bill Blandford gave it to me; it sat there for months as I scoffed at it as just another wonky "spiritual" book that he would read. Then, in a fit of curiosity, I picked it up and started reading it. It blew my mind, and launched my lifetime love affair with meditation (an admittedly on and off affair.) Unlike the sometimes obtuse Zen philosophy ("why do we meditate? Because we meditate."), Shambhala Buddhism ...more
Rubina
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Sakyong Mipham is the leader of Shambhala network of mediation and retreat centers. In this book, Sakyong shares the lessons of Tibetan Buddhism and Shambhala rulership, telling us that we can rule our own world and with confidence by acting with wisdom and compassion, instead of aggression. To do that, we need to learn to stop thinking about ourselves all the time, and happiness and confidence will come naturally. Through practicing discernment, exertion and discipline, generating compassion, a ...more
Jigme Datse
OK, so I really liked this book (hence the 4 star rating). It wasn't quite amazing, but it was really good.

What did I like about it? It reminded me very much of the trainings that I have received through the Shambhala Training program. It really goes through everything from "Level I" to "Outrageous and Inscrutable". It's not a replacement for these trainings, but it is a good adjunct to them.

I really don't know what more to say without going into the teachings themself, and those would be spoile
K.S. Thompson
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After learning about BooktubeAThon, I decided this was my chance to tackle 7 books on my TBR list.

I have had this book for many, many years. Started it a couple of times but, if I am to be honest, I don't think I was ready for it until now. I stayed up all night reading and pondering the knowledge and wisdom of this book. It has given me much to consider and I feel that every time you read it, you will gain something new.
Charlotte
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhist
I'm writing my review even though I haven't finished the book. I'm taking a series of classes that cover the concepts in this book and I'm waiting for each class before I read the corresponding sections. I find the text accessible and uplifting. It takes you deeply into the Shambhala teachings and how they work in your life. I've learned so much from this path already and I'm excited to continue in the months and years ahead.
Sara Gray
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Another book for my Contentment in Everyday Life Shambhala class. Mipham doesn't have the same succinct, deeply emotional style of his dad Chogyam Trungpa, and so this book came across as more of a modern, polite self help tome than a shot straight to my heart. That said, it did have some good things in it that are worth practicing.
Cherie
Sep 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
A- This book is really great for Buddhists and spiritual beings living in a hectic world. It reminded me (to a degree) of City Dharma. He focuses on training your mind to be more open and compassionate. It was really intriguing. He's brilliant, and I find him more accessible than his father, Trungpa.
Ginger Segreti
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I like to constantly challenge my thoughts and views. This book provided great insights and thought provoking mental stimulation. I enjoyed the underlying themes of letting go, to gain control. I have as of late been considering the socioeconomic divide and my experience of it. I wonder if there isn't a connection between "I" focus and poverty and "w"e focus and prosperity.
Ross Cohen
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
World-renowned spiritual leaders are often at risk of getting high off their own supply. Sakyong Mipham avoids this peril by writing clearly and without ego about the principles of Shambhala.

My only small reservations about this book are a lack of practical strategies and a slight disconnect between the author's spiritually exceptional upbringing and his readers' more earthly origins.
Ilse
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Na het lezen van "Turning the mind into an ally" viel dit boek me wat tegen. De introductie van de tijger, leeuw, garoeda (soort mythische vogel met menselijke armen) en draak zijn interessant om te lezen. Daarna lijkt het alsof het boek vervalt in herhalingen. De persoonlijke illustraties met fragmenten uit het leven van Sakyong Mipham zijn wel plezant om te lezen.
mac
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Step-by-step and straighforward thinking on Buddhist thoughts, practice and way of life. Really thought provoking and immediately pointed out changes that I would make in my life and my approach to it. Summary of meditations in the back of the book are helpful for reference. I have a feeling I'll be referring back to this book often.
David Geschke
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars for this book, probably would have gone 3.5 if that was an option, settled for four stars because there was a lot I liked in the first half of the book, but it really bogged down for me near the end. I'd read more of his books based on this, but I won't run out and seek them, if that tells you anything.
Steven Elliott
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and well written, Ruling Your World should be a meditation for everyone to read. Although he would never claim this, Miphan brings insight into how to make this world a better place and the importance of just doing good for others. Definitely a read for anyone wanting to make a difference.
Betsy Ng
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice book to understand inner self and own consciousness so as to rule out world. In my own words, the description of 4 key principles are inner peace, self-confidence, wisdom and compassion. He used four types of animals to describe these 4 principles.
Ian
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The follow-up to Turning the Mind Into and Ally, this book starts off reading a little more like a self-help book than it's predecessor, but eventually developed into a more interesting read once the focus shifted to traditional Tibetan Buddhist teachings.
K
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sakyong Mipham imparts ancient wisdom and techniques for improving your world and by extension, the lives of those around you, and he does so in an accessible, practical, 21st Century manner. Highly readable and highly actionable.
Tim Weakley
Mixed feelings about this book. Parts of what the Sakyong had to say were very useful, but others were far too "New Age" for my taste. On the whole it was a decent read, but I've definitely preferred quite a few other books on the same topics.
Wil
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book countless times, refering back through the stuff I highlighted: I love the theme of compassion that establishes confidence based upon the premise of innate basic goodness, resulting in 'when your happy, I'm happy.' Very enlightening.
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • Working With Anger
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
Sakyong Jamgön Mipham Rinpoche, The Kongma Sakyong II Jampal Trinley Dradül (born Osel Rangdrol Mukpo in 1962), most commonly known as Sakyong Mipham, is the head of the Shambhala Buddhist lineage and Shambhala International, a worldwide network of urban Buddhist meditation centers, retreat centers, monasteries, a university, and other enterprises, founded by his father, the Buddhist teacher Chögy ...more
More about Sakyong Mipham

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Tibetan Peach Pie: A True Account of an Imaginative Life
    $9.74 $1.99
  • AWOL on the Appalachian Trail
    $3.99 $1.99
“In my constant travels, from the highland meadows of Tibet to the tropical rain forest of Brazil to the busy streets of Hong Kong, I’ve learned that you have to be content wherever you are. Otherwise, traveling is exhausting, because you’re always thinking that the next place will be better.” 2 likes
“Then we wonder, “Why is nothing turning out the way I want?” Tiger mind creates a little gap in which we can look at our choices. We could get mad or not get mad. We could manipulate or not manipulate. We could become desirous and fixate. We could get jealous or not. It’s up to us. Wisdom and compassion begin with cultivating discernment—not just reacting to what happens.” 2 likes