Start by marking “The Alpha and His King (Kincaid Pack #1)” as Want to Read:
The Alpha and His King (Kincaid Pack #1)

The Alpha and His King

(Kincaid Pack #1)

When Kai flies out of a shed, swinging a rake, Rick’s life flips upside down.

As alpha, Rick’s dedication to his pack has never wavered—until Kai. The pull he feels toward the younger man is more than a simple distraction, but Rick won’t let himself lose focus. Not while a hidden enemy is drawing near.

Moving in with the grumpy alpha who saved him is a big change for Kai,
Published January 24th 2020 by Kiki Clark

To ask other readers questions about The Alpha and His King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alpha and His King

Start your review of The Alpha and His King (Kincaid Pack #1)
Barbara➰
Rick is the alpha of his pack and strives to do what is best for them all. But he will not tolerate anyone stealing from the pack. When he goes to get reparation from a couple in his pack, he discovers not only are they thieves but abusers as well and just maybe he's found his mate.

Kai will do anything to protect his siblings from the big bad alpha everyone has warned him about. When they are rescued from an old shed they've been forced to live in, Kai must step up and become who he is meant to
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Now that I'm finished - update - This got better as it went on but I still maintain that Rick just generally sneered, snarled, growled, etc way way way too much. I don't find a sneer attractive so every time that word came up I was like cringing. Ugh. Villains tend to be more with the sneering and glowering.

Also so much smirking. And giggling - from grown men. Let's try laughing as a different way to state it. Again there are just some word choices that either indicate immaturity or personality
Susan
I hate it when I read a long book that has its moments so I expect it will start getting really good any moment, only to read on and on, and then end up with a book that's only meh..... :(

I really liked Kai and how much he cared for his siblings. I liked how the relationship between Kai and Rick started, and how careful Rick was with Kai. I did not like that the relationship never really took off for me. I kept wanting them to declare their feelings or to just jump headfirst in the relationship,
annob
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, dnf
Dnf @ 39%

I looked forward to reading this debut author, largely because other authors I've read and enjoyed (Nash Summers, Amy Aislin) had mentioned this book and author in positive terms. If I'm not misinformed, Clark have experience as an editor, which added to why I was heading into this story with quite high expectations. What a treat to read a paranormal romance that isn't part of the current flood of ghostwritten, content-factory produced books!

The opening scenes held several of the key i
Kathleen
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I hope my attitude improves soon. I don’t feel like putting much effort into reviewing anything these days. This will have to suffice.

Although the story was mildly entertaining, I didn’t care for the writing style. Mainly too much tell and not enough show. Too little action. Too much repetition. The critical altercation toward the end was beyond disappointing. Something that should have been a nearly epic pivotal point just... fizzled. Over in what felt like a matter of seconds. What a wasted o
Deborah
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it

I have mixed feeling on this book. Over all it’s a good entertaining read but..

While I enjoyed most of it there were parts I didn’t like. I loved Kai. Rick blew a bit hot and cold for me. And I wasn’t too keen on the cartoon like villainess. Even if she thought it was a done deal it was way OTT.

But I’m moving straight onto the next book now. So cross your fingers for me.
M.I.A
Pleasantly surprised by The Alpha and His King

This is much better than most shifter stories. Though it still seams I will forever be looking for a shifter story rivals The Wolfkin Saga by S.J.Himes. Sigh. I really wish writers who write about Shifters would step up their game, but alas this was much more enjoyable than most I've read *shudders from memory *

I throughly enjoyed the world-building. I got such a clear picture of the pack, the enforcers, the alpha's role, the shifter council, th
Miriam
5 stars audio
4.25 stars story! Can't wait for book 2!
Micah
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’d give this 3.6 stars! All of the shifter books that I’ve read so far have been meh. I mostly just tolerated them. But I actually really enjoyed this one and it’s shocking me.

Starting off, I LOVED the pacing of this book. Several characters have been abused and the audience gets to see them overcome that and slowly begin to trust again. The pacing of the relationship between the two main characters was also fun. They had enough trials and tribulations that the outcome felt earned and I enjoye
Gabriella
Mar 10, 2020 marked it as gave-up-reading
Shelves: m-m
I gave up reading this somewhere around 30%. I have to admit that I was lured in by the blurb and the nice cover. But, and that's a big BUT, isn't enough to make me overlook a certain underlying theme.

Submitting to a dominant, isn't a cure after being abused for months or years. Abuse is a serious matter and no domeneering bully ordering the formerly abused around is helping them. That is just another totally unhealthy relationship.

And before someone tells me, that is normal in a shifter story
Kazza
3.75 Stars

The well named The Alpha and His King is a nice debut book by Kiki Clark. The main characters are well developed, particularly Kai who is quite easy to love. Rick is a fair alpha to the pack and is kind to the King “pups” after they’re found abused and living in a shed. He takes them in and puts energy into them feeling a sense of belonging.

There is a large cast of secondary characters and events surrounding them. Unfortunately, this did affect the flow and pacing. It’s something that
Stellaria
3 stars!

I'm struggling with my review on this one because there were parts of this book that I absolutely liked and at the same time, there were other parts I wished something different to happen.

I'll start with the things I liked:

First and foremost, I loved Kai's character. He warmed my heart with his protectiveness and pure love towards his younger siblings. Although scared of everything that has happened with his family, he was so brave.

Second - the secondary characters. I especially liked e
Lori
May 13, 2020 rated it liked it
For me, this was sort of strange in that it had too many elements and felt like it jumped all over the place especially in regards to the emotions of the characters. It also felt like there was a lot of words but not much really happened.

Honestly, it was just fine for me. I don't know if I would want to continue on with this series or not. It does seem like it's been well-received so it's probably more a "it's me, not you" situation.
Amanda
Reading this book you would have no idea that it was written by a debut author. It has incredible world building, is well edited, and has a fully engaging story. Rick and Kai were both amazing characters, and the romance between them was well done. They have extreme chemistry from the very beginning, and when they come together it’s explosive. The pack politics were very interesting, and kept me turning pages almost as much as the romantic storyline (which isn’t often the case for me). I still h ...more
Natalie panda eyes
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the majority of it. Didn’t like the lack of common sense but I suppose stuff wouldn’t have happened otherwise. It was sweet and I liked both Rick and Kai. I liked the relationship Callie had with Rick, that was adorable. Sam got on my nerves in the beginning but I liked her towards the end. Looking forward to the next one. Favourite character was either Jess, Bennett, or Callie.
Steph ☀️
Love this!

***4.5 stars***

So love this new author! Seriously, we have a STORY as well as sexy times :). Oh, and even though the two MCs do get their HEA, there is a bit of a cliffhanger regarding the story. So excited for the next book 🎉
Leaundra
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I can't wait until the next book comes out. ...more
Qin
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A new author blessed with strong grammatical and stylistic values, including an outstanding sense of pacing, a good eye for laying her universe (kudos for the clever touches of animality that reminds us how much we are dealing with werewolves torn between nature and civilization, not mere enhanced or superpowered humans as MM shifters tend to be in the unclever hands of Lynn Hagen and co.), and an honorable effort towards the building of rather nuanced characters (the protagonists being suitably ...more
Rox
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book! I have to be honest, since reading Wolfsong by TJ Klune, I have been struggling to find any wolf books that hit the spot. I'm not looking for erotica or anything wild, I just want to get that sense of pack.

Rick's pack is the found family I was looking for when I picked this one up. There is love an loyalty among the members of the pack and I loved to see it!

Kai and his family have survived something horrifying. When they're found they rightfully don'
Oxy
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
2 Stars. Everything in this book made me cringe.
Viz
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
I'm new to this author. I love paranormal genre and I like the narrator Kirt G so gave the book a try. Loved the mystery. Will definitely follow the series. ...more
♥️Victoria ♥️ ♥️love books♥️
I really kinda liked this one.... It's hard finding a shifter book with more flesh between the bones than just keeping it together with sex.... lets face it!!! Most shifter books out there is like "oh, shit I don't know what to write lets put in another sex scene...." don't get me wrong I am all in for a good scene or two ....

I really likes the characters and how everything linked in at the end. I did NOT think it was boring! I liked the speed and could relate to most characters. Yes, it was a b
NLinks
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Ehhh not sure about this one...

This was probably above average for the MM shifter genre. It seemed polished and had very few minor issues with proofreading or editing. The story was difficult for me to put a rating on. There were parts that were excellent and others that were not good at all. It left me feeling disoriented because of the constant back and forth in quality. There were also a lot of inconsistencies with personalities and characters’ beliefs which sometimes changed from one sentenc
Joyfully Jay
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kenna
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

The Alpha and His King pushed all my buttons. The blurb was enough to make me want to dive in and start reading right away. I did, and I was not disappointed.

I would like to begin by telling you there’s a lot going on in this book, and I don’t want to give all the important details away. I’m going to try to give you a bare bones review without spoiling it for you because I do believe this one needs to be ready to be truly appreciated. It’s very special, and a really
Ariel
What a great start to a new series! I believe this is the author's debut novel and I'm very impressed with their ability to write interesting characters and an engaging plot! I really enjoyed this story and all of the characters. Kai and Rick made a great couple and I loved seeing Kai gain confidence in his new surroundings and circumstances. And I really enjoyed Rick interacting with the young siblings. This story has plenty of hurt/comfort but not too much to make it overly angsty or over the ...more
Faye K
4.5 stars.. A great start to the book that got me straight away. This is a heart breaking story for the trauma that the King children had gone through. Having to learn to trust a new pack members. The situation with the parents after brings danger to the pack.. I loved Rai in this he's a strong protector right from the start but had his vulnerable moments too. The chemistry between Rick and Rai is there from the start but it takes a awhile before one of them act. A few miscommunications and dang ...more
Amy Aislin
I enjoyed this debut novel from Kiki SO much! It was an excellent novel and a great start to a new shifter series. It was clearly well-thought out with an intriguing plot line, great writing, and strong pacing. The two main characters, Rick and Kai, were flawed, relatable characters who were so endearing in their own ways. And they were also incredibly well matched to each other.

There were a lot of side characters in this story, but I was never confused about who was who. Kiki does a great job o
Shannon
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, arc, para
I hadn’t read a shifter book in a while and I can say I did enjoy this one.
It was a good easy read that let you sink into the story.

It did have a few well used tropes in the book but I enjoyed the writing.

Kai is an abused foundling when he’s rescued by the Alpha of his pack. Both men try to understand their feelings for each other but there Is a lot of miscommunication or lack there of.
The world building was interesting as you dumped right in the middle of a scuffle and you are curious as to
Tam
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, canine-shifters
Sometimes I'm in the mood for a good fated mates shifter and damn I'm a sucker for poor abused kids and a rag-tag pack that accepts everyone. Kai and siblings are badly mistreated by their father and stepmother after their human mother's death until rescued by Alpha Rick, who of course tries to deny Kai is more than a fancy. Someone is out to get Rick and the pack is under attack.

I liked Kai was spunky and there were some good women characters, Kai's 16 year old sister Sammi, Vanessa the enforce
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Forbidden Magic (Magic and Claws, #1)
  • Wolf Found (The Wolves of Kismet, #2)
  • Truth (Wolves of Walker County, #1)
  • Hero (Wolves of Royal Paynes #1)
  • Wolf Reborn (The Wolves of Kismet, #3)
  • Mine to Save (Pine Ridge Pack #1)
  • Protective Daddy (Timberwood Cove #7)
  • Captive Mate (Mismatched Mates #2)
  • Hope (Wolves of Walker County, #2)
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
  • Ruler (Wolves of Royal Paynes #2)
  • Abroad in the Stars (Galaxia Pirates, #1)
  • Choose Me
  • Second Chance
  • An Egg for Ansel (Alaskan Pebble Gifters, #2)
  • The Golden Heart (Alliance, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)

Kincaid Pack (3 books)
  • The Second and His Bonded (Kincaid Pack, #2)
  • The Deputy and His Enforcer (Kincaid Pack #3)

News & Interviews