Start by marking “The Girl in the Mirror” as Want to Read:
The Girl in the Mirror

The Girl in the Mirror

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  20,151 ratings  ·  3,061 reviews
Written with the chilling, twisty suspense of The Wife Between Us and Something in the Water, a seductive debut thriller about greed, lust, secrets, and deadly lies involving identical twin sisters.

Twin sisters Iris and Summer are startlingly alike, but beyond what the eye can see lies a darkness that sets them apart. Cynical and insecure, Iris has long been envious of Sum
Published October 20th 2020 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in the Mirror, please sign up.
Arisa Takahashi There are BDSM plays with nasty words, but it's not in the spotlight that much throughout the book. If you are overly sensitive with bad languages it …moreThere are BDSM plays with nasty words, but it's not in the spotlight that much throughout the book. If you are overly sensitive with bad languages it might be disturbing. No torture, pain, and blood involved in the sex scenes. (less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Cass It wasn't that they were ever actually conjoined twins, just that if the embryo would have split any later in their development, it might not have spl…moreIt wasn't that they were ever actually conjoined twins, just that if the embryo would have split any later in their development, it might not have split completely and they would have been conjoined in some way!(less)

·  20,151 ratings  ·  3,061 reviews

Start your review of The Girl in the Mirror
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WTH? WTH? WTH? WTH? WTH? WTH? WTH? WTH?

Breathe in! Breathe out! Gather your wits Nilufer! I know the author fooled you so bad! Your dumb ass hurts like hell as you sit on the floor because the author pulled the rug out from under you so fast and you lost your balance, you lost your dropping jaw and a few precious grey cells which were fried and smelled like detesting fast food chains’ products!

I’m telling you to go blind about this book! Don’t you dare to read the blurb which gives more away th
daph pink ♡
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A bit melodramatic, i saw the plot twist coming from a mile away, but overall a fun read , I enjoyed it!
Frank Phillips
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I freaking LOVED this book!! What a sinister, twisted, spine-tingling, edge of your seat suspense this was, and I ate it up! This tale had me guessing up until the very last sentence, questioning if our narrator was reliable or not, and I loved the final reveal even more than I thought I would. I'm very thankful I selected this as my BOTM read, and as usual they were spot on in their selection. This was richly atmospheric on top of the emotions this made me feel, I also felt as though I were in ...more
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
2.5 Stars

I'm still somewhat new to the thriller genre, so remember my thoughts are from the perspective of a thriller-newbie and not a thriller-connoisseur. But let's begin...

The first third of this book was straight up boring as hell. Seriously though. Sometimes I thought I was reading a manual on yachts and sailing the open seas. I mean, I get that it's an author's goal to flesh out the world, etc., but there's fleshing out and there's info dumping.

Now, I later read in the author biography at
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill by: Denise
Shelves: botm
Wow!!! Just wow!!! How on earth is this a debut?! I certainly don't know what I expected from this book, but not this! You know the type of thriller that you have to reread a page just to make sure you read it right?! THIS is that book! The twists were so crazy and the final one was so unexpected for me! ❤️

Two twin sisters.......a whole bunch of money at stake...what could go wrong? ALOT...that's what.

Summer and Iris appear to be the best twinnies ever! Except there has always been an underlyin
JanB

Iris and Summer are identical twins, but their personalities couldn’t be more different. One is nice, one not so much. One has it all while nothing ever works out for the other one.

Yet, when Summer calls on Iris to help her pilot her yacht from Thailand to Seychelles, Iris comes to her aid. As expected, things go horribly wrong. Jealousies, insecurities and a race for an inheritance drive the plot forward. It’s a twisty ride to an explosive ending.

This was a buddy read with Marialyce, and a st
Jen
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me this was a slow burn and by the end, I was so happy I stuck with it and couldn't believe that I almost gave it up! Midway through, I wasn't super enjoying it and it was verging on a 2.5 star, but the last half drew me in so much more! I couldn't put it down to go to sleep😨 By the end of the book, it was almost going too fast, things were happening so rapidly and my rating kept climbing!

Iris and Summer are mirror twins (cool that it is an actual thing, I love when a book teaches me a littl
Oscar
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, 2020-releases
"The girl in the mirror is miserable, but at least she's real."

The story is all about these mirror twin sisters, Summer and Iris Carmichael. Yes, you read it right. Mirror twins! I didn't even know this concept existed until I read this book. Summer is the golden girl and her heart and internal organs are in the right place. Iris, on the other hand, the cynical and boring twin. As the mirror twin of Summer, her heart and internal organs are in the wrong places. At present, Summer has the per
Anna Avian
Oct 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
Rape, incest and a ridiculous scheme to win an inheritance. There wasn’t even one likeable character in the whole book. Every plot twist was so far-fetched, unrealistic and it just kept getting more absurd. The ending was so very melodramatic and annoying.
Farrah
Dec 31, 2020 rated it liked it
⭐ 3.5 mo' money, mo' problems Stars ⭐

The Girl In The Mirror has all the necessary ingredients that make a good thriller and I was entertained throughout.
However, too many implausible scenarios and story threads that were never resolved are preventing me from rounding up.
Tina
Oct 05, 2020 marked it as dnf
This is a thriller that I DNF after reading over 50% of the book. This book is my October pick for my Book of the Month. This book was just not for me I tried hard to get into this book, and I just could not get into this book. I think the writing style was just not for me. I also did not love or care about any of the characters. (*)

Kay Crowley
Aug 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, if that got published then there’s hope for high school students everywhere.....
Brandice
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Girl in the Mirror is deceitful and dramatic. At the request of her twin sister, Iris joins Summer in Thailand to help her with an extended sailing trip on the family yacht. Iris has always been jealous of Summer’s seemingly perfect life. Though neither of them vocalize it, there’s an underlying tension between the twins.

When Iris wakes up alone in the middle of the ocean to find Summer gone, she panics, fearing the worst: Her sister has died. She searches but accepts this outcome and decid
Sheyla ✎
Krystal
Daaaamn this book made me so anxious.

I hate lying. Lying makes me nervous. Liars always get found out. ALWAYS.

But this concept fascinates me.

It's similar to the plot of that TV show with Sarah Michelle Gellar that got axed, leaving me without a conclusion. So it was nice to get some closure through this story.

But still.

It was close to agony living through this story.

The blurb sums up the first third of the book, which is something that frustrates me a little but it also allows you to hang in the
Regina
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mirror mirror on the wall, who’s the bat$h!t craziest thriller of them all? Gone Girl, you were the craziest here so true, but The Girl in the Mirror is a thousand times nuttier than you.

OK, maybe not a thousand times, and maybe (for sure) Gone Girl isn’t the most bat$h!t, but you get the point. The Girl in the Mirror is one of those books that makes you wonder if “suspense” is short for “suspens…ion of disbelief,” but you’re turning the pages so fast you don’t really care. The plot twists are
Ceecee
May 02, 2021 rated it liked it

Summer and Iris Carmichael are mirror twins in every physically possible way. Iris adores beautiful Summer and has been in her shadow all her life with Iris suffering with insecurity as a consequence. When Summer, now married to Adam, calls from Thailand begging for help to take their yacht ‘Bathsheba’ to the Seychelles for them she doesn’t hesitate. However, something unexpected happens in the middle of the Indian Ocean and Iris has to make a life altering decision.

First of all, even
Denise
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes, yes!!

I love when a book takes me utterly by surprise and blows me away, and The Girl in the Mirror did just that! I don't even remember where I picked up this ARC, but I was on vacation and started in on my mountain of TBR books and thought this one sounded intriguing. Intriguing is just the start - not to mention, a clever, dark, twisted, pulsating, and just plain crazy plot involving identical twins, an inheritance, and a yacht chock full of secrets.

Twin sisters Iris and Summer are
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wow, wow! This is 1 of those books that’s so good, it makes me question other 5 stars I’ve given! Like if those were 5, then this must be 5++! I loved this book! From the first page to the last! Enjoyed it way more than so much I’ve read lately..
And!! I whole heartedly recommend the audio! The voices were spot-on & definitely added to my experience of this 1!
1 of my favorites of the year.. I LOVED this!! (& it’s a debut?? So excited for whatever’s coming next!)
Lisa
Apr 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Iris & Summer are mirrored twins mirrored images of each other. Summer & Adam are on a journey of a lifetime when their son Tarquin gets gravely ill in a Thailand hospital ,Summer rings Iris for help as she is the only one she trusts.

Iris tells Summer she will be there asap, but when Iris finds out she has to sail Adams yacht by herself to the Seychelles she is a bit hesitant.

Things amp up a bit when their father dies but the will reads that when any of his children has an heir they inherit 100
Susan Z
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
What the what? This book is a trip.

Iris and Summer are identical twins, yet Summer is the charismatic one, the nice one and even the more beautiful one. Everyone is drawn to her and it's always a competition where Iris ends up in second place.

The twins set sail for a multi day trip when one morning Iris wakes up alone, no idea where Summer is. When she finally makes it back to land, Iris allows Adam, Summer's husband, to assume she's Summer. What follows is a never ending web of lies that culmin
ABookwormWithWine
4.5 rounded up to 5 since Goodreads and BookBub won't let me do half stars.

The Girl in the Mirror by Rose Carlyle is OUT OF CONTROL, and I fully mean that in the best way possible. This debut novel has an ending that will blow you away, and I literally had to reread the last two pages about three times because I could NOT wrap my head around what I had just read. You do have to suspend some disbelief, but if you can do that it is so worth it to read this. It would also be helpful to do it as a b
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Wow, this book took me completely by surprise! This a fantastic and twisty psychological thriller that I could not get enough of. Highly recommend.

I suggest going into this one fairly blind so I will not go into the story too much. It is the story of twins Iris and Summer. Iris has always been jealous of her twin who seems to have the best of everything. She is newly married and her husband seems to be perfect. But she loves her sister and when Summer calls and asks for her help she drops every
Brenda
Identical twins Iris and Summer had one difference and it was all on the inside. Sweet Summer; insecure Iris – but when their father died, the conditions of his will were shattering to the whole family. Wives, stepmothers, children – was it to be a race to claim the inheritance?

When Summer called Iris, desperate for her help in sailing Bathsheba from Thailand to the Seychelles, she didn’t hesitate. But during the journey, with Summer’s husband Adam behind in Thailand with his son Tarquin, Iris
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Megan Goldin

On the day my novel The Night Swim was released back in August, the city where I live in Australia was put under the toughest lockdown in the world. So it was a wonderful escape to immerse myself in the pages of The Girl in the Mirror and travel vicariously through its characters—from the beaches of tropical northern Australia, to the translucent Andaman Sea in Thailand (one of my favorite travel destinations), all the way to the Seychelles.

But if luxurious travel alo
Veronica ⭐️
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, a-u
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
I loved this tale of deception and greed. Iris has always felt as if she can never be as beautiful or as kind as her twin, Summer. Everyone loved Summer and she had everything Iris didn’t. Summer had the perfect life Iris always dreamed of. A chance comes where Iris can make Summer’s life her own. Will she take it?

“Summer is an it girl, a blonde bombshell. And I am her mirror.”

The story is told in the first person by Iris and the first part of her narrati
Authentikate
If I wrote a review, it would be a rant.

I’ll leave it alone with this: from the slow first half, to the unlikable characters, to the unbelievable plot...to the grotesque motivations driving the story, I was left with an eye-rolling, audible groan inducing waste of time.

Did that cover it?

Ughhhhh
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)
It seems as if twin stories are in this year or what's left of it! This story of twin identical girls Iris and Summer is no exception to the twin routine. One is a self-assured gorgeous twin, while the other wallows in self-pity and believes herself to be the ugly twin. Say what? It's definitely weird how the story is constructed and chances are you will figure all of it before the last page is turned.

The implausible situations set the story up for a kind of ho-hum read and the more I
Max
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
If you did enjoy The Girl In The Mirror, I strongly recommendHe Started It! I haven't stopped thinking about it since July and both are similar in style.

I'll just say it... The Girl in the Mirror was basic. It felt to me like somebody just finished Gone Girl and was watching some Parent Trap before writing this. And I was a little bit disappointed because usually, I expect a more "original" book from BOTM. But I understand they were in high necessity of thrillers for October.

The premise of this
Gloria Arthur
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-bookshelf
⭐️5 Stars⭐️
The Girl in the Mirror is an edge of your seat psychological thriller! It’s also a debut novel by Rose Carlyle. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for Rose's next release that’s for sure!

The story explores sibling rivalry to a dangerous level. Identical twins Iris and Summer are the mirror image of each other but there is an evil darkness inside one of them. 'Mirror image’ twins happens when the split occurs late - more than a week after conception - the twins can develop reverse as

• Deacon King Kong
  • Pretty Little Wife
  • Grown Ups
  • Oona Out of Order
  • Lady in the Lake
  • Camino Winds (Camino Island, #2)
  • Sex and Vanity
  • The Wife Upstairs
  • Anna K: A Love Story (Anna K, #1)
  • The Red Lotus
  • What Lies Between Us
  • The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
  • Real Life
  • People Like Her
  • Goodnight Beautiful
  • The Next Girl (Detective Gina Harte, #1)
  • Saint X
  • Survivor Song
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

“Hope is a demon. It toys with you, it flirts, and then when you start to trust it, it vanishes.” 2 likes
“apart. You’ll never fool Ben. I bite” 0 likes