Start by marking “You Should See Me in a Crown” as Want to Read:
You Should See Me in a Crown

You Should See Me in a Crown

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  8,414 ratings  ·  2,437 reviews
A newer edition of ISBN 9781338503265 can be found here.

Liz Lighty has always believed she's too black, too poor, too awkward to shine in her small, rich, prom-obsessed midwestern town. But it's okay -- Liz has a plan that will get her out of Campbell, Indiana, forever: attend the uber-elite Pennington College, play in their world-famous orchestra, and become a doctor.

But
Published June 2nd 2020 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about You Should See Me in a Crown, please sign up.
Dahlia The title comes from the Billie Eilish song, as far as I've seen from the author on Twitter. It's Billie EIlish who pulled the Sherlock inspiration.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brandi Rae Fong
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  8,414 ratings  ·  2,437 reviews

Start your review of You Should See Me in a Crown
chai ♡
THIS BOOK WAS SO AMAZING MY HEART IS SOARING

Full review to come!!!
Melanie
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: may ➹

without a doubt, this will make my best of 2020 list. this was e v e r y t h i n g !!! ❤️

Content and trigger warnings: anxiety, panic attacks, death of a parent,chronically ill loved one, outing, homophobia (thank you Fadwa!)

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

This is was July 2020 pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club! 🐉☕
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Shelves: 2020-releases, queer
This was so fucking cute, I can't stand it. You need to read this small-town F/F romance immediately 🥺
may ➹
gay culture be like [locks eyes with a girl] wow she has pretty eyes....... oh no I think I’m in love

—★—

- to be honest, I thought this was going to be a 3-star book the entire time I was reading this but by the end I was surprised by how much I was enjoying it!
- this book follows a Black queer girl with anxiety named Liz who must run for prom queen in her school’s prom competition in order to win the money she needs to get into her dream college. but she has to figure out how to put herself out
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I don't believe in fairy tales and love at first sight and all that, but for just a second, I think this girl and those eyes and the way her freckles dot the entire expanse of her face are cute enough to make a believer out of me.

It's been a long time since I've reached for a fluffy, cutesy YA contemporary story because I thought I had gotten burnt out on the genre, but I'm here to tell you all that wasn't the case; I just wasn't picking up the right ones, and this book is absolutely the rig
Boston
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-f
Really related to Liz’s grandpa who was always napping in the background
emma
It has come to my attention that I have exactly one brain cell and no heart.

I have had three conference calls today, and I have another big one tomorrow, and therefore the amount of a) work and b) small talk and c) fake smiling I have done has been the cause of death for the 17 brain cells I had previous to this cursed day.

I just don't have anything else to say about tropical storms, you know? On the spectrum of light pre-nitty gritty conversation they rank more interesting than whatever people'
Gabby
This was so freaking cute. This is a YA novel that follows this girl named Liz who decides to run for prom queen so she can get the scholarship that comes along with winning it, so she can go to her dream college. The only problem is the fact that she is falling for a girl she is competing with, so cue the forbidden romance!! This book was so cute and so soft and it made my heart so happy. It has a great message about being proud of who you are and some important own-voices representation, and I ...more
Mackenzi
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Believe the hype—this one is a stunner.
Camryn
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I'm tearing up. I wish I'd had this when I was fourteen.
Christy
4 stars

You Should See Me in a Crown was such a delightful and fun read. This is one of those books that as soon as I finished I thought, this would make the cutest high school movie. I would love to see Liz's story on the big screen!

Liz Lighty is a senior in high school. She's an overachiever, plays in the band, and is going to be valedictorian. And now? Now she's running for prom queen. The winner of prom queen at her school doesn't only get a crown, she gets a scholarship as well, and Liz de
Britt / Basically Britt
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 2020
Hands down my favourite YA contemporary now!!!
Chanelle
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was extremely cute and the pop culture references made me laugh a lot. I absolutely adored the main character and her adorable love interest as well!! It felt like a very realistic high school YA contemporary story, and her goals and aspirations were just as important as the romance aspect (which I feel like tends to get lost in YA contemporary romance stories). THE ENDING WAS SO CUTE!!!
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
this was SO CUTE. a wonderful and sweet sapphic romance about a girl who enters a prom queen contest in her small town to win the prize money that will allow her to go to her dream college. loved our main character's personality and also the very wholesome platonic friendship she has with one of the male characters. definitely recommend as a pick me up!!
Larry H
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

Leah Johnson's debut novel, You Should See Me in a Crown , is about the fight to be who you are when people are telling you not to be yourself.

Liz Lighty has her immediate future planned. She’s waiting on the scholarship she needs to attend her dream college and then she can study hematology and play in their famed orchestra.

But when the scholarship doesn’t materialize, she decides to take a different route and run for prom queen. In her small Indiana town, prom is SERIOUS, and the k
Dylan
Mar 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: black-authors
This queer boy from indiana can't wait to read about a queer girl from indiana as she falls in love with her competition in a beauty pageant??? i'm???
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I received an early copy of this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review

CW: anxiety, panic attacks, death of a parent, chronically ill loved one, outing, homophobia.

YOU SHOULD SEE ME IN A CROWN was such a nice balance between pure sapphic fluff and important discussions of some more or less heavy topics. It delivered exactly what it promised. All the cuteness that comes with a queer girl falling in love for the new girl in school, the coming of age element of her trying new thing
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, favourites

representation: ownvoices Black rep, queer rep (f/f romance), anxiety and panic attacks, disability (sickle cell disease).

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★

THIS WAS SO CUTE.

trigger warnings: death of a parent (in the past due to sickle cell disease), homophobia, bullying, racism, panic attacks, being outed, medic
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super nerdy characters.
Fun writing.
Witty and humorous.
Damn cute.

***Reps: Multiculture, race, LGBTQ, anxiety

One star less because of the predictable and too convenient ending.
Bookishrealm
This was definitely a solid 4.5 stars!

TW: death (off page), homophobia (on and off page), illness, and outing

What a beautiful book! This is the book that I could have used when I was growing up. I needed a book where the main character was a Black queer girl who was trying to not only figure out her identity, but just wanted to make the best of her high school experience and be successful. Leah Johnson captures such a beautiful narrative in this novel and I need more stories like this in my li
aarya
2020 Fall Bingo (#fallintorombingo🍁): ‪A Beautiful Outfit

I love it when a hyped book lives up to expectations. All the prom stuff feels dystopian, but it helps that Liz agrees with me (“A reality show is an understatement. This feels like 1984”). There are many wonderful things about this book, but my favorite aspect is Liz’s friendship arc with Jordan. Totally worth the looooong library hold, and I recommend you snag/put it on hold right now because the wait times won’t get shorter (Reese W
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Loved every second of reading this. Such a solid debut featuring a queer, Black protagonist, the sweetest f/f romance, all the prom shenanigans, lots of music, and really thoughtful and realistic portrayals of friendship. I can’t recommend this one highly enough!
Meagan ✊🏼 Blacklivesmatter ✊🏼Blacktranslivesmatter
Queer, cute and fluffy 🥰🥰
It reminds me so much of a highschool 90's movie
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Oh, I adored this. This was the perfect balance of serious and sweet, and the ending will leave you feeling so good and warm.

- Follows Liz, a queer anxious Black teen finds out that she didn't get the financial aid she needed for her dream school -- and decides to run to become prom queen, which will get her a scholarship.
- I wouldn't call this book a romance, but it definitely does have romance elements! The sapphoc romance is so soft, nicely developed, and so satisfying.
- I loved the emphasis
Emma☀️
So sweet and wholesome! I was grinning like an idiot after finishing the book. rtc
Adri
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
CWs: attempted hate crime, mild homophobia/bullying, some descriptions of chronic illness (sickle cell disease), some exploration of parental death

Liz Lighty is the hero we deserve and I want to shout about her story from the mountaintops! This is the perfect queer prom rom-com we've all been waiting for. This story is bursting with delightful prom court shenanigans like bake sales and powder puff games, while also addressing the reality of being a lower-class queer Black girl navigating wha
Helena
compelling main character ✔️
cute sapphic romance ✔️
great m/f friendship ✔️
discussions of racism, queerphobia and classism ✔️
conflict that doesn't revolve around the main character's sexuality ✔️
diversity ✔️
lots of fun ✔️

really enjoyed this one!
Nenia ⭐️ Queen of Awkward ⭐️ Campbell
I WOULD LOVE To SEE YOU IN A CROWN
Chelsea
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Omg this is so freaking cute!
Lea (drumsofautumn)

“I never needed this race or a hashtag or a king to be a queen. I was born royalty. All I had to do was pick up my crown.”

You Should See Me in a Crown is such an incredibly powerful read with so many different themes and topics in it and everything being incredibly well done.

This is one of those novels that tries to tackle so much in so little time and I am in absolute awe of how well everything was handled, considering this book has just a little over 300 pages AND it is a debut nov

• Pope Hats #6: Shapeshifter
  • On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
  • Felix Ever After
  • Guts
  • Maman, Papa, ... Et moi ! Et moi ! Et moi !
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • The Black Flamingo
  • The Oracle Code
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • All Boys Aren't Blue
  • The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3)
  • Snapdragon
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Clap When You Land
  • The Henna Wars
  • Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • Assaulted Caramel (Amish Candy Shop Mystery, #1)
Leah Johnson is a writer, editor and eternal Midwesterner currently moonlighting as a New Yorker. Leah received her MFA in fiction writing from Sarah Lawrence College, where she currently teaches in their undergraduate writing program. Her debut YA novel, YOU SHOULD SEE ME IN A CROWN is forthcoming from Scholastic in 2020.

Articles featuring this book

“And I know then what I've always known: Campbell is never going to make a space for me to fit. I'm going to have to demand it.” 9 likes
“I never needed this race, or a hashtag, or the king to be a queen. I was born royalty. All I had to do was pick up my crown.” 8 likes