Start by marking “You Should See Me in a Crown” as Want to Read:
You Should See Me in a Crown

You Should See Me in a Crown

Liz Lighty has always believed she's too black, too poor, too awkward to shine in her small, rich, prom-obsessed midwestern town. But it's okay -- Liz has a plan that will get her out of Campbell, Indiana, forever: attend the uber-elite Pennington College, play in their world-famous orchestra, and become a doctor.

But when the financial aid she was counting on unexpectedly
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about You Should See Me in a Crown, please sign up.
Dahlia The title comes from the Billie Eilish song, as far as I've seen from the author on Twitter. It's Billie EIlish who pulled the Sherlock inspiration.…moreThe title comes from the Billie Eilish song, as far as I've seen from the author on Twitter. It's Billie EIlish who pulled the Sherlock inspiration. (less)

Start your review of You Should See Me in a Crown
Dylan
Mar 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
This queer boy from indiana can't wait to read about a queer girl from indiana as she falls in love with her competition in a beauty pageant??? i'm???
Camryn
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I'm tearing up. I wish I'd had this when I was fourteen.
Dahlia
Adorrrrrred this one. Wasn't sure if it was actually a Romance or not but am happy to report that it is an extremely cute f/f one and I am so, so excited that the author already has another one of those coming. I wanted to hand my ARC to a queer Black girl the second I was done and I hope this finds every single one. It's clever, funny, romantic, empowering, and just a damn delight.
faith ✨
if you know me, it would be obvious as to why I immediately added this to my TBR after reading the title but SAPPHIC BLACK GIRL FALLING IN LOVE @ PROM I NEED

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Instagram | CuriousCat | Youtube | Spotify | Discord
AJ
Jun 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbtq, poc-mc, ya, 2020-release
Queer kids running for prom queen falling in love!! I NEED!!!
Rec-It Rachel
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
cried several times
|| Soph ||
Oct 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
*BREAKS INTO SONG*
Avery Meyer
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish it was possible to give more that 5 stars. If only this book were around back when I was an awkward queer high schooler. The whole book warmed my heart and I can wait for teens to have this representation and story.
Kelly Quindlen
Jan 14, 2020 added it
Shelves: lgbt
Liz Lighty's story is going to mean so much to so many people. She is one of the most endearing narrators I've read.
[My favorite character: the ridiculous Madame Simone!]
Roxanne
Feb 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
Smart, ambitious girl runs for prom queen in an elaborate plan to win a scholarship and falls for the competition?? Sign me tf up
May Regan
Nov 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
it's another queer prom romance set in Indiana but this time featuring what I hope to be an enemies-to-lovers romance I am d e c e a s e d .
also that song reference in the title uhhhh
help me please I'm gonna end up spending all my college funds on books
elena ⚢
Aug 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-be-released
This is the exact kind of book I needed to read when I was growing up. I’m sad I didn’t, but I am so, SO happy kids will be able to now :’)
Elyssa
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-releases, lgbt, 2020
Elizabeth (Liz) Lighty is far from the social butterflies who normally run from prom queen in the prom obsessed town of Campbell, Indiana. But after the scholarship to her dream school falls through, Liz realizes that the scholarship awarded to prom queen may be her only chance. With the help of her friends, Liz attempts to become the first black prom queen Campbell has ever had, but what will happens when she falls for a fellow competitor? I absolute LOVED this book with my whole heart. Liz is ...more
Trace Kerr
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the ARC in a day, gulping down this sweet and HEA story like a cool drink on a scorching hot day. Teen me would have loved Liz Lighty and her band of badass girlfriends.

The love story is *chef's kiss*. LGBTQ+ in all the ways I want in a contemporary YA: real, out, accepted (at least by the people in Liz's life who count). Ultimately I loved that Liz knows who she is and that by the end, she figures out exactly what she wants.
Doris Raines
Feb 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
WHY I RATED THIS BOOK JUST STAR. DEAR YOU ARE NEVER TO BLACK NOR TOO POOR. THIS MUST BE THE WORST BOOK OF THE CENTURY. ONCE YOU BORN BLACK YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK. A CROWN HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH BORN BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL NO I DONT SEE YOU IN A CROWN I SEE YOU AS A CLOWN . DOS AND DONTS GOD LOVE AND MADE US ALL. SAD YOU. ———- SHAME OWN YOU
Jasmyne
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, swoon-worthy, and triumphant, You Should See Me in a Crown is a queer romcom with a big heart. I loved Liz Lighty, loved her relationship with her family and the romance was cute. It’s so rare that a queer Black girl gets her happily ever after. Reading this put the biggest smile on my face. A gorgeous debut and I can’t wait to read more Leah Johnson!!
Love, Jamie
Jan 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
Posted 1-20-20:
If I just cried over a small snippet Leah shared on Twitter what is the actual book gonna do to me
we deserve good things too. no matter how we have to get them
Alyssa Thomas

Calyssa
Nov 14, 2019

• Pope Hats #6: Shapeshifter
  • On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Guts
  • My Jasper June
  • Maman, Papa, ... Et moi ! Et moi ! Et moi !
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Wicker King
  • Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls
  • The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3)
  • The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)
  • Love Frankie
  • Heavy Vinyl: Riot on the Radio, Vol. 1
  • The Oracle Code
  • Shadow of the Batgirl
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Clap When You Land
Leah Johnson is a writer, editor and eternal Midwesterner currently moonlighting as a New Yorker. Leah received her MFA in fiction writing from Sarah Lawrence College, where she currently teaches in their undergraduate writing program. Her debut YA novel, YOU SHOULD SEE ME IN A CROWN is forthcoming from Scholastic in 2020.