Start by marking “In Five Years” as Want to Read:
In Five Years

In Five Years

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  338,482 ratings  ·  29,954 reviews
Where do you see yourself in five years?

When Type-A Manhattan lawyer Dannie Kohan is asked this question at the most important interview of her career, she has a meticulously crafted answer at the ready. Later, after nailing her interview and accepting her boyfriend's marriage proposal, Dannie goes to sleep knowing she is right on track to achieve her five-year plan.

But
Published March 10th 2020 by Atria Books
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about In Five Years, please sign up.
Chloë
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  338,482 ratings  ·  29,954 reviews

Start your review of In Five Years
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m so ugly right now! My face is blotchy, my eyes are bloody red, my nails, oh no I have no nails left. I’m a great candidate for any horror movie monster casting call.

Even the husband dearest who is normally coolest, mimic-less Scorpio man worried about me and cover my face with trash bag so he stopped screaming when he was looking at me!

After I finished this book, I cried so much! I couldn’t help myself. Honestly my friends shaped my life and made me who I am more than my own family. They s
Meredith (Slowly Catching Up)
Hated It!

Of course I have to be the person who didn’t love this!

In Five Years is the story of a woman who has it all: the perfect fiancé, the perfect apartment, and the perfect job. But having it all doesn’t mean that she’s truly happy, and a tragedy is about to test the boundaries of all that she believed to be perfect.

The night Dannie, a corporate lawyer, gets engaged she has a wild dream that takes place 5 years in the future. This dream is about to alter her life in ways she could have
jessica
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
huh. i kind of feel like the rug has been pulled out from underneath my feet and im left in a daze.

i went into this expecting the story to go in a certain direction (think ‘one day in december’) and i was 100% sure of it right until the last 10 pages, when all of a sudden the story doesnt end like i thought it would. and its not like it comes out of nowhere. it makes sense and im not angry about it at all. i was just so sure it would end in a certain way, i was completely blind to clues through
chan ☆
Nov 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
let it be known that i hated every single second of this

and it should be retitled, or captioned as follows

in five years: your life will suck, bad things will happen, there will be no purpose for any of it
lazybookconqueror
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, netgalley
2.5 Stars.

I went through so many different emotions reading this book, however, that is not necessarily a good thing.

The first few pages of In Five Years were actually enthralling. I was instantly hooked by Rebecca Serle's skilled and mellow writing.

I remember thinking when I was 15% in that I could already tell that this had the potential to be a five-star book. Unfortunately, not long after, everything came crashing down.

Dannie is the type-A-personality-person that has her life together. She
Yun
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
What if you had a glimpse into your future? Would what you see change how you acted today?

Dannie is living the life she's always wanted: a great career as a corporate lawyer, about to be engaged to her boyfriend of two years, and everything is going exactly as she's planned. On the night of her engagement, she falls asleep and seemingly catches a glimpse of her life five years in the future. That glimpse, in which she's with a different man, throws her entire world into turmoil.

The premise of In
Giorgia Reads
EDIT 06/11/20: So, I just saw this is nominated in the romance category for the Goodreads Choice Awards and I’m beyond baffled. This book does not have a romantic storyline. This book is not about people finding love and living happy ever after blah blah. This book should not be on that list. This is a book about friendship! The romantic relationships that the two female leads have in this book do feature quite a bit, but they are not the focus. It is a tragic story about friendship that does no ...more
Miranda Reads
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-the-love
description
Galentine's Day is right around the corner...so why not curl up with a good book? Check out my latest BooktTube Video - all about five fabulous books on female friendship!

The Written Review
description
This book was amazing. It made me ugly cry.

I honestly don't want to write a review for this one cause wow. I went in there nearly blind and I was just so blown away. I want other people to have that experience.

But in brief - this is a story about love and loss and friendship and findi
David Putnam
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. A real gem. Wonderful voice, wonderful prose. A strong female protagonist who easily carries the story. The three-dimensional characters are so well drawn they could walk right off the page and have a cup of coffee with you. The writing craft here is amazing and will spoil me for the next book I pick up. The prose is economic and yet dense and lush, a unique juxtaposition difficult to pull off.
I read mostly Thrillers and mysteries which have acute plot points in the four C’s
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Be sure to visit Bantering Books to read all my latest reviews.

Rebecca Serle’s newest novel, In Five Years, caught me by surprise. In a couple of different ways.

First off, it’s not the story I believed it to be. I expected a romance -- it’s not. Not really. It is, but it isn’t.

Secondly, I had no clue I would love it. I thought I would like it, at best. But love it? Nope. I never saw it coming.

“Where do you see yourself in five years?”

We all have had this asked of us at some point in our lives.
Emily May
Jan 30, 2020 added it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2020, arc
"What are the odds?"
"In a city of nine million? Less than zero."

On occasion - but not often - I read a book and I really don't know how I feel about it. Not in that way where I say I don't know how I feel to soften the blow before I explain why I didn't really like it... but a way where I liked certain aspects of it, really disliked others, and couldn't ever balance out my thoughts into anything resembling a star rating. This book was one of those. I'm going to leave the rating blank.

Firstly
Larry H
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Good god, I loved this book even if it left me crying on the plane!

"You mistake love. Do you think it has to have a future in order to matter, but it doesn’t. It’s the only thing that does not need to be come at all. It matters only insofar as it exists. Here. Now. Love doesn’t require a future."

Dannie is a planner. Everything in her life is meticulously mapped out—the job she wants at the law firm she wants, her dream apartment in NYC, when she and her boyfriend will get engaged and married. Th
Dilek VT
Feb 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cancer, death, open-ending
The book has an open ending and I hate it when it is like that.

From the very beginning I had a bad feeling about this book so I couldn't read it properly, I just skimmed and scanned it to see where it goes. And in the end, I was happy that I didn't spend 5 or 6 hours on this book because the ending would frustrate the hell out of me.

Here is the result of my skim-scan and quick reading. It has all the spoilers so make sure you don't uncover it if you really want to read this book.

(view spoiler
demi. ♡
❥ 2 / 5 stars

[ e-ARC received from NetGalley ]

Here’s some advice from me : Before reading this book, read others’ reviews first because the story is not what you think. It’s not the same as the synopsis said.

[This review might contain some spoilers so make sure you don’t continue reading this if you don’t want to know beforehand about some major events in the story.]

I started having bad feelings about it when Dannie fell asleep and dreamed about her new life in the next five years with an unknow
Danielle
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I kinda went into this one blind, which is not necessarily a bad thing. 😎 So much time passes from the time I read the synopsis of a book, add it to my library queue and wait for my turn to check it out- that I often forget what the book is even about. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Within the first couple of chapters I was wondering, is this a time traveling story? Split personality? Alternate universe? 🤔 I was hung up on figuring that out, which made the first quarter of the book (character development) a bit slow. Bu ...more
Brandice
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In Five Years is a great story about Dani, a Type-A (ahem, relatable) woman, her love life, and friendship. She is a hard-working lawyer who crushes an interview for her dream job and gets engaged to her boyfriend, David. After falling asleep that night, Dani wakes up five years later in an unfamiliar setting with unexpected company. She then wakes up again, back in her current life, but has a hard time shaking this mystery premonition. Four years later, Dani is startled to meet this person in r ...more
Holly  B
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

Couldn't put this one down!

Although I'm not a huge romance reader, every now and then a book comes along that just warms (and breaks) my heart.

After reading the intriguing synopsis, I knew I wanted to read this one and find out just what In Five Years  was all about.

Dannie is a Manhattan lawyer with a five year plan (I love that!). She has a wonderful career, boyfriend, New York life, BUT who is this man in her dreams? He seems so alive and "real" to her, but he is not in her fiv
Kaceey
One huge….WOW!

Where will you be in 5 years? Have you thought about it?

Dannie has methodically planned out every detail of her life from the time she was a young girl. You name it…career, family, every single aspect of her future.

What happens when she actually gets a glimpse into the future? Five years to be exact. Is it anything close to what she had imagined or planned? Is it too late to change her destiny and reverse course?

This was a superbly written story of love and friendship that wrappe
Christy
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

photo D97530CE-524E-4E23-9ED8-D4711D649940_zpszf1h6t8a.png

This book was nothing like I expected. If you're looking for a swoony romance or easy to read chick-lit type book, that's not what you're getting here. This was a hard-hitting contemporary fiction that hit me right in the feels. After reading the blurb, I thought I had an idea of how this book would go, but I wasn't prepared for what happened. It had twists and turns I didn't see coming, but I loved it.

Dannie is an attorney and a number oriented person. As a fellow Type-A person who
Helga
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Reading the description of the book I thought it is going to be a light read and given the sad circumstances we live in nowadays, that was what I wanted.
But how wrong was I! This book is anything but fun and even the tragedy wasn’t deep enough for it to be a heartrending one.
It was just clichés after clichés and everything in the book was extreme. Like if somebody was handsome, he was the god of hansomeness. If someone was an artist she was the goddess of all art. In every chapter there was a
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a bizarre reading experience for me. I was completely hooked to this from start to finish and I did VERY much enjoy this book, but I have some complicated feelings. I really liked all of the characters and I truly believed in all of their bonds and the messiness of their relationships/actions, but there were some things about this book that just made me feel a bit weird and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I'm going with a 4 star rating for now because I really enjoyed the ...more
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
5+ stars! Keep tissues handy!

Emotional. Surprising. Intense. Thought-provoking. Heart wrenching.

Dannie and David are both highly motivated in moving up in their careers. They “get” each other and fully support one another in their career progressions. Dannie and David get engaged after dating for two years, yet over four years later, they still haven’t found the time to plan their wedding. Bella is Dannie’s life long best friend. Their friendship is the one stable thing in Bella’s life. Bella is
Susanne
5 Crying through my Tears Stars!

Pass Me the Tissues Please!!

Falling asleep on what has been the best day of her life, Dannie couldn’t be happier. Attaining her dream job and getting engaged to David, the perfect fiance all in one day, she is excited about what life holds.

When Dannie wakes up an hour later she finds herself somewhere else completely, with a different man, wearing a completely different ring. The date on the calendar is five years into the future. Falling back asleep, she wakes b
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
In Five Years is a stunningly beautiful, brilliant and insightful love story that gave me so much to think about!

The story starts with a hook that had me asking myself a few questions and anticipating the answers. I do have to admit I was a bit worried about the direction this one might go. I am a romance eye-roller, and I went into this one expecting to exercise my eyelids with some eye-rolling. Lindsay, my eye-rolling partner, read this faster than I did and loved it, so I figured there had t
Norma
Soul-stirring, striking, & an unexpected gem!

IN FIVE YEARS by REBECCA SERLE is an engaging, touching, heartwarming, and absolutely beautiful story of love and friendship that I was immediately drawn into and quickly devoured. The storyline definitely kept me intrigued and took me on an emotional rollercoaster ride right to the very end.

REBECCA SERLE delivers a fantastic, captivating, emotional and beautifully written story here with some startling twists and turns that will definitely give you
Kylie D
In Five Years is a wonderful book, both heart warming and heartbreaking at the same time. We follow Dannie, a lawyer on the rise in NYC, who at the start of the book gets engaged, and following the celebrations falls asleep. When she wakes everything is very different. She is in a different apartment, with a different man, and realises it's five years in the future.

When she eventually wakes up back in her own timeline, she thinks it's a dream, though a very realistic one, and puts it behind her.
Debbie
I enjoyed the interesting beginning, the unexpected ending and the build-up in the middle.

The character development, likable or not, was well done! I could relate to main character Dani's ambitious nature, strong sense of loyalty, organizational skills and love of her career.

I loved the descriptions, especially of the fashions and the food. Author Rebecca Serle must really know New York City's cuisine - she had me salivating throughout the story!

Based on the saying, 'Where will you be in five ye
Dem
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Magical and Heartbreaking and a wonderful love story for readers who enjoy emotional and whimsical tales.

I picked this one up after seeing a few of my Goodreads friend’s reviews and while I am not a fan of love stories this one appeared to be a little different and peaked my curiosity.

What would you do if you glimpsed your life five years from now..... Dannie Lohan has just nailed the most important job interview of her career and gets engaged to the perfect man , she is well on her way to
megan
I can confidently say that In Five Years is one of the worst books I have ever read. It's impossible to describe how absolutely infuriated this book makes me, and most of the reasons include spoilers so I'll talk about those in a moment. I don't know why more people don't dislike this, but I guess I'm in the minority here. For the life of me though, I cannot understand why.

I guess the only bright side about hating this book is that I now have an answer for my least favorite book, and yeah it's t
Jonetta
I’ve always hated that question, “Where do you see yourself in five years?” Not Dannie Cohan. She’s known who and what she’s wanted to be and with whom since she was ten years old. Danni plans her life out to the minute and she’s happy that way. The people who care about her both personally and professionally do more than accept her for how she is...they admire her. She’s not that proverbial type A personality that rubs people the wrong way or has a hole in her soul or life. It works for her in ...more
Between the Pages...: MAY 2022 BOTM PICK. IN FIVE YEARS BY REBECCA SERLE 3 12 May 23, 2022 01:30PM
J.D. Robb : In Five Years on HBO Max 1 29 Apr 22, 2022 12:41PM
GROW - Guaranteed...: Session 9: In Five Years by Rebecca Serle 2 12 Apr 02, 2022 12:32AM
Shut Up & Read: * In Five Years by Rebecca Serle 3 39 Feb 02, 2022 06:02PM

• The Silent Treatment
  • Adults
  • When Time Stopped: A Memoir of My Father's War and What Remains
  • The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
  • Wife After Wife (Wife After Wife, #1)
  • Creatures
  • Faking Under the Mistletoe
  • The Majesties
  • The Forgotten Home Child
  • The Mercies
See top shelves…
Rebecca Serle is the New York Times bestselling author of In Five Years, The Dinner List, and the young adult novels The Edge of Falling and When You Were Mine. Serle also developed the hit TV adaptation Famous in Love, based on her YA series of the same name. She is a graduate of USC and The New School and lives in Los Angeles. Find out more at RebeccaSerle.com.

Articles featuring this book

If you've been paying attention to BookTok and bestseller charts, then you'll know author Colleen Hoover is having quite the day in the...
“You mistake love. You think it has to have a future in order to matter, but it doesn't. It's the only thing that does not need to become at all. It matters only insofar as it exists. Here. Now. Love doesn't require a future.” 244 likes
“I am constantly trying to learn the rules, only to realize that the people who win don't seem to follow any.” 82 likes