Start by marking “Modern Web Development on the JAMstack” as Want to Read:
Modern Web Development on the JAMstack

Modern Web Development on the JAMstack

The comprehensive guide to JAMstack best practices

This practical report explains how to run your web projects—from simple sites to complex applications—on the JAMstack, a modern web architecture for deploying fast, secure and highly-scalable sites that don’t require a traditional origin server.

With this report, you’ll explore:

Methods for solving web development challenges
Published July 2019 by O’Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Modern Web Development on the JAMstack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Web Development on the JAMstack

Start your review of Modern Web Development on the JAMstack
Petar Ivanov
May 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Not great, not terrible. It has some good points and advise but it was too general for me and didn’t go into many details/depths. I would say that it’s a good read about JAMstack but I would recommend skimming some of the sections.
Alexandre Ramalho
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are into Jamstack, you should read this book. If you are into Web Development, you should read this book. If you are into Web Performace/Security/Availability you should definitely read this book.
I think it is amazingly structured and goes through the what/why & how of the Jamstack, providing you with theory, but as practice as well on the Smashing Magazine case review.
And it is an easy read (127 pages).
Andrea Hill
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I'll admit I didn't expect too much from this book, available as a free download from Netlify.

I knew it was a marketing piece: sell your view of a better way of deploying websites, and support it with a "hey, we do this". But, I thought it was a good way for me to familiarize myself with the JAMStack rather than reading a bunch of different web articles or tutorials.

The book is split into two sections: the first is an overview of this new approach and the benefits of static sites over pages th
Stefano Zanella
Mar 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
Overall I think it’s a good introduction to the topic of this new generation of web development ecosystem technologies. My only two critiques would be related to the depth in which specific topics were addressed. In some cases I found the narrative too wordy while at the same time being a bit generic and shallow, trying to address concerns for small and large scales simultaneously; this made the text more of a broad introduction to the topic, which I personally would have avoided given the targe ...more
Nick
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
JAMstack is a rapidly growing, modern web site and web app architecture. It's not a specific technology per se, but rather an approach to software development that utilizes the best of content prerendering and content distribution networks, Javascript, and APIs. Because the approach is newish, there's a tendency in the current technical literature to reiterate the basics. And while the first half of this book does a bit of that — perhaps in the most definitively, clear cut way — it's the under-l ...more
Mireille Raad
It is a good read. I’d say the main audience is project managers or ppl not sold on the stack or people in big companies who are not sold on the technology. if you are a dev and ur hand is in the jam jar, fast forward to the use case about smashing magazine and then run, don't walk, to get to the github page of netlify.

This book made me realize how much golang is being used in new strong projects. It is the new Java. Also, netlify is really innovating the ecosystem and has really some good peopl
Maribel Duran
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book provides a thorough explanation of the problem the JamStack ecosystem is trying to solve. I think it also does a great job of explaining how websites were once built and how we need to work towards a safer, more performant, accessible, and delightful experience for both the users and developer. Thanks to Netlify for caring about the future of the web. We are all responsible for making the web more performant so that it can be more accessible to the rest of the world.
Giacomo Debidda
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a nice ~120 pages ebook from Netlify.
I read it on a Sunday afternoon, skimming the first chapters because I was already familiar with the JAMstack.

Chapters 1-5: good high-level overview of the services of a JAMstack.
Chapter 6: excellent breakdown of the Smashing Magazine migration from Wordpress + Ruby on Rails + Kirby + Shopify to Hugo + Preact + Netlify CMS + Netlify functions.
Tomas
Jun 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shallow introduction to the JAMstack and the workflow that it offers. The Smashing Magazine deconstruction was interesting but not too practical as an example.
Sandy Masia
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Built an app the really works well following all this. So that is great. But I don't know if I should go down this route for larger-scale projects. ...more
Bruno Garcia
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
Este finde he terminado de leer el libro Modern Web Development on the JAMstack. Y aqui os paso un resumen.

# Netlify

Una cosa que considero importante a tener en cuenta:

Netlify esta detrás del concepto JAMstack.
Los autores del libro trabajan en Netlify.
Netlify organiza las conferencias Jamstackconf (este año en tres ciudades distintas: San Francisco, NY, London).

De hecho JAMstack es un montón de tecnologías bajo un nombre molón, como en su
momento lo fue Ajax, PWA o RWD.

La diferencia es que Netlif
Arpit Batra
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a really good introduction to the ideology behind the Jamstack. The book is well written and to the point. The case study on how Smashing Magazine migrated its legacy blog to a modern Jamstack static site has a lot of things to ponder upon. A good book on the subject!
Venkatesh G
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
I am a web developer. I have always wondered why I need to use such a bloated framework like WordPress to build a simple 5-page church website. It just seems like overkill. I have wanted to go back to the simplicity of HTML/CSS/Javascript, but the needs of my customers dictate my choice of technology. To give them the ease of editing content on the backend, I have stuck to WordPress. But isn't there a technology by which I can harness the power of HTML and yet enable my customers to change the c ...more
Cedd
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is good. I thought I was on the Jamstack but there's more to it than I realised. It isn't really possible to follow the details of the smashing magazine case study, due to its complex nature, but its an inspiring demonstration of what is possible and the benefits you gain by doing so. ...more
Simon MacDonald

• Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? And other Questions about Dead Bodies
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Utopia Avenue
  • Let My People Go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman
  • The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Why We're Polarized

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »