Start by marking “The Age of Chivalry (Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology)” as Want to Read:
The Age of Chivalry (Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology)

The Age of Chivalry (Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  872 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Bulfinch's Mythology is a classic retelling of the great myths and legends, from ancient Greece and Rome to the time of Charlemagne. The second volume, reprinted here, focuses on Arthurian legends, and covers such notables as Sir Gawain, Launcelot, Richard the Lion-Hearted, Tristan and Isolde, Robin Hood, and much more.
Published August 30th 2004 by Dover Publications (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Chivalry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Chivalry

9) The Adventure of the Cart
10) The Lady of Shalott
11) Queen Guenever's Peril
12) Tristram and Isoude
13) Tristram and Isoude (continued)
14) Sir Tristram's Battle with Sir Lancelot
15) The Round Table
16) Sir Palamedes
17) Sir Tristram
18) Perceval
19) The Sangreal, or Ho
Jake
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ok, to be fair i am not much of a King Arthur type of guy so maybe this book wasn't for me to begin with, but with that said, I found the writing boring, the stories a little hard to follow, and the magic of the the legend not even there. I did learn a few things about King Arthur and the Round Table but wasn't much impressed with Bulfinch's description of it. I know this book is a holy grail (pun intended) to chivalry lovers but i don't think this book is for much anybody else.
Signor Mambrino
There are two versions of Age of Chivalry. One ends with a shorter section on the heroes of England and Ireland, and the other ends with a section on King Richard and Chevy Chase. The latter is very boring.
The earlier sections in both are the same. They are OK.
I am very happy to be finished with Bulfinch.
Ensiform
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mythology
This edition included a third section on "The Knights of English History" by Edward Everett Hale, added 17 years after Bullfinch's death. There was also a short into by Beryl Rowland. The two parts by Bullfinch were about King Arthur and his men, Tristam and Isolde and the quest for the Holy Grail (or Sangreal); and tales from the Mabinogeon, "tales" in Welsh.

I found the latter section to be the most fascinating, because the characters within were so human and humorous. The tale of Owain's roman
Andre Piucci
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Arthur's pretensions were that he was a brave, though not always a successful warrior; he had withstood with great resolution the arms of the infidels, that is to say of the Saxons, and his memory was held in the highest estimation by his countrymen, the Britons, who carried with them into Wales, and into the kindred country of Armorica, or Brittany, the memory of his exploits, which their national vanity insensibly exaggerated, till the little prince of the Silures (South Wales) was magnified ...more
Mitsu Mightous
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The more I think about Bulfinch the more I like him. His writing is an excellent introduction to anybody who is interested in learning archaic lexicon and syntax.

Each chapter is short and sweat. They are never too long, and if I may add, I think this book is a great casual read. It's good to pick up and read from every once and a while; maybe just to get your mind thinking in a higher level English for a while, after having read countless Facebook posts... bereft of grammar and thought--I digres
Heather
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I didn't finish reading it--it's too dry. It's a good reference book and it could be helpful if you needed to brush up on any Arthurian stories, but it's just so boring that it doesn't matter how many times you re-read a passage, you can be sure to fall asleep.
Lana
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a bit disappointed in this book as I had imagined a proper novel about king Arthur but instead the book was very historical and descriptive and I did not quite like the way merlin was portrayed in this book!!
Danielle
Jul 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fictional, non-fic
interesting, although a bit crusty at times. i couldn't keep track of who was doing what, as various persons were presented in something of a blur. but i like reading on knights and chivalry and machismo.
Kellylynn
Oct 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Took me a long time to read this. The first section was rough with all of the battles. But I rather enjoyed reading about Charlemagne. Most of those stories were not like I expected them to be.

Also the stories of Robin Hood were rather raw and completely full of battles, more so than expected.
  • The Philosopher's Handbook: Essential Readings from Plato to Kant
  • The Saga of the People of Laxardal and Bolli Bollason's Tale
  • Gisli Sursson's Saga and the Saga of the People of Eyri
  • Myths & Legends of the British Isles
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Egyptian Myth: A Very Short Introduction