Start by marking “You Can Thank Me Later: A Novella” as Want to Read:

You Can Thank Me Later: A Novella

A short and sweet audio novella that'll leave listeners wanting second helpings, You Can Thank Me Later follows an unforgettable family over the course of three Thanksgivings.

When the Dickenson clan sits down for Thanksgiving dinner in 2016, it is the last holiday when their tight-knit family will ever be the same. Oldest brother Pete and his wife are expecting their first
Audible Audio
Published October 31st 2019 by Audible Original

To ask other readers questions about You Can Thank Me Later, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Thank Me Later

Start your review of You Can Thank Me Later: A Novella
Melindam
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This has been my first ever story (novella) by author Kelly Harms & I really liked it. There is drama and emotions, but also lots of humour and insight of character to balance it. And there's an imperfect, but realistic and satisfying happy ending (or new beginning).

Also, this has been a long-overdue listen with Thanksgiving very much in the past, but I needed a quick-fix, and with its 3-hours, this was just the ticket.

If I want to be very strict, I would rate it 3,5 stars.
Had I simply read
Jenny Baker
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Alan Teder
Reposting after the deletion of 12 Audible Originals Dec. 17-19, 2019.
Goodreads purged about 12 (that I could identify) Audible Original audiobooks at the end of the year 2019 as they apparently did not meet guidelines. Those audiobooks that have been converted from podcasts are apparently the main issue. Others that are short novellas or audio productions of theatrical plays may be restored. This current edition of You Can Thank Me Later is a restoration. Thanks to Goodreads and SuperLibrarians
Heather R
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Furious at Goodreads for deleting my review without warning. At least let me come screenshot the poor thing or cut n’ paste it to... apparently ANYWHERE BUT GOODREADS. Fellow reader-reviewers, I’d love to know where you suggest a good-hearted (if slightly ascerbic) unpaid reviewer go where she can feel secure in the knowledge that some corporate behemoth won’t just take down her reviews.

There. With that out of the system, I don’t have the energy to go back and try to rewrite my carefully
Amanda Anger
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: narrative, 2019, audible
I really enjoyed this freebie Audible book, but unfortunately my well-thought-out review was deleted by Goodreads. Hopefully the reviews will be restored at some point, but for now, I'm posting this so it will remain on my "Read" books of 2019.
Akira Makoto
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I almost feel bad only putting two stars on this. I feel like I'm being mean. It was a decently cute little novella. Just.... frustrating I guess? The beginning was great. Made me cry even. But the rest was frustrating as hell. The MC really is kinda a selfish oblivious bitch. If you want something to listen to to pass the time then its decent. If you're looking for a great listen that makes you feel good, this probably isn't it.
RoxAnne Moore
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the audible version of this book. Despite the sadness at the heart of the story, there was enough humor throughout to help alleviate the sadness.
Nicole R
3.5 (round up to 4)

When this novella popped up as an option for a free Audible original this month, I instantly snagged it for a Thanksgiving-themed read. It was short--a mere 3 hours long--but it was not lighthearted. It was actually kind of sad, but had a happy ending.

Sophie and Annette have been best friends since college. Annette also happens to be Sophie's sister-in-law, married to Sophie's older brother Charlie. But, when Annette is diagnosed with a terminal illness with little time left,
Kim
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible
*potential spoiler alert*

While I do not like picking apart or negatively reviewing a book, I have also been wanting to write a bit about each book in order to better recall. So, quandary...

I admire another's ability to write, particularly to the point of being published, and also appreciate free, but again, in the spirit of recall and with a qualifier about disliking unkind reviews, a couple of things: I'm not sure a novella is enough space to cover such a big topic. The brevity did not lend to
Mary Ann
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
OMG the feels! The story starts at Thanksgiving with Sophie, a professional chef with her own restaurant, making the meal, the oldest brother Pete, and his wife are having their first child and the middle brother, Charlie and his wife have just received the worst news, her cancer is back and she won't survive this round. The news shakes them to the ground and Sophie is asked to help her brother navigate the loss of his wife and Sophie's best friend. It follows them for the next several years ...more
Rheetha Lawlor
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Warning, do not listen to this while driving because there are some pretty sad parts (but they aren't like so sad that you can't keep listening). As a book that revolves around Thanksgiving with family, we follow along with someone who passes away, and how the family copes, especially two characters. It cut to the core with me this year, but it also shows how much life can go on, even though we don't want it to. It also shows how much we all grieve when someone dies- it isn't just the spouse. ...more
Kara
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
“You Can Thank Me Later” by Kelly Harms (read by Lauren Fortgang) is an Audible Original that takes about three hours to listen to. I was laughing out loud within the first five minutes, crying after 10.

The story is told over a series of Thanksgivings spanning four years. I originally found the protagonist endearing and sympathetic, then unreasonable and selfish, but she pulled herself together by the end of the story and was redeemed. I was impressed with the author’s ability to immediately
Christle Southall
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable short listen from the Audible Originals collection. Goes to show how strong the bonds are between siblings and how fiercely protective sisters can be. Some humor and heartfelt introspection will occur.
Paul Sating
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not my typical genre, but this was a cute, fun, funny, sad, and moving story.
Alex N.
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this sweet contemporary novella! Fun and wholesome, perfect for the holidays and to get you out from a reading slump ...more
Jennie  Veazey
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great novella about life, love, family, and letting go. This was amazing! I thought the audible book was entertaining and wonderful.
Hannah Stapleton
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible-i-own
Cute but not remarkable.
Hannah
Dec 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I learned not to leave my reviews on good reads only

What i remember from my review is that its 4 hours of the main character being self deprecating then suddenly has an “aha” moment and shifts characters ... Transitions weren’t smooth at all, i didn’t see self growth. I remember something about the trying too hard with the sound effects like the voice mail, but i appreciated that attempt..

Im not gonna bother trying to remember/ detail anything else because i didnt like this book that much, I’m
Harley Easton
Surprisingly good and heartfelt. I wasnt sure what to expect but it did bring me to tears a few times and definitely made me smile. A view of what it's like to endure holiday traditions when family situations change.
Jessie
Overall, I enjoyed this audiobook, which was narrated by Lauren Fortgang by the way - I really don't like when editions of audiobooks on here don't list narrators. However, the way things wrapped up bugged me in some ways (view spoiler) ...more
Janine
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

This was probably my favorite of the 3 audible originals I listened to, even though there was less star power and fancy production. It was just a cute little novella about a family that's a mess like any other.

My biggest gripe about this one was how oblivious Sophie, the main protagonist, was about what was going on around her. What was happening was being telescoped to the reader, but Sophie seemed caught by surprise by, like, everything, which I didn't find quite believable.

I did
Maya
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, but rounding up. There's a big emotional punch packed into this little novella, and I really appreciated the nuanced depiction of grief, and how it's often an ugly thing that makes people act in ugly ways. The protagonist's actions and opinions were often unlikeable and yet simultaneously so relatable. The characters were very vividly realized, which is always impressive in a shorter work. I was definitely listening to it out of season, since this has been sitting on my virtual shelf ...more
Clare Bird
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019

by Kelly Harms

I give this Novella a whopping 5 out of 5 birds. Every Christmas I like to watch The Family Stone. If you like that movie and the different storylines, THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU! Save it for next Thanksgiving. It was such a fun listen. It had me feeling every emotion. I was in love with it from beginning to end. It’s an Audible Orginal so you might have to be on that bandwagon- so if you already are… Save up for this one next year!

#amreading
Kendra McIntyre
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Picked up this Thanksgiving read from Audible Originals just in time for the holiday. The Dickenson clan get together for Thanksgiving every year, but 2016 is the last time it will be like it's always been. All the members of this tight knit family have many things going on in their lives, least of all brother Charlie and his wife Annette, who was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. Sophie the sister vows to look after Charlie after Annette is gone, but is surprised the next Thanksgiving ...more
Shannon A
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
This felt like it was a story about the Grinch of Love. I'm not sure if I feel like the MC's heart grew two sizes by the end of this novella, or if she may still be a terrible snob who was just overcome by the holiday (and alcohol) spirit. It sounds like she acted the same way with her life before the loss as she did afterward, with the only difference being her treatment of the additional people. It's hard to believe that she would change everything based on a couple of hours when she showed up ...more
Jenna
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
At the beginning I really liked this book. There are some extremely sad parts. Parts that really make you think about life. Towards the middle of the book I really started to HATE the MC. I wanted to yell at her. I wanted to slap her! I understand grief is hard but she seriously acted like a bratty teenager instead of her actual age. But she finally comes out of it and becomes a redeemable character at the end. Other than the hatred I felt for the MC I enjoyed this book. The writing was great ...more
Lina
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes picking up a holiday themed novella or book out of said holiday season is actually quite fun. Especially when there are so many things going on during the holidays.

I think the narrator did a really good job, I could really feel and understand Sophie, and her struggles dealing with her brothers new girlfriend.

I still think sometimes Sophie’s self interest got the better of her and it kind of got old really quickly, but overall this was a good book. She even found her own happiness.

I
Weekend Reader_
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
This novella has great grieving from different aspects (spouse, friend, and extended family). Sophie is the stereotypical career sibling who won't settled down. She was unreasonably awful to her brother once he moved on but I realize was her version of grief. I get it until literally the end. I love the family dynamic, but I was uncomfortable with how Sophie talked about Emily and when she described herself as Amazon woman when she was going to get into fight.

So the novella wasn't horrible but
Georgina
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A surprising treat from Audible Originals. We spend three Thanksgivings with the same family of siblings over four years. Sophie, a chef, who hosts Thanksgiving every year at her restaurant, is a complex but likeable character, who wants what's best for her family - but isn't always exactly right about what that is.

Only after I'd finished the story and enjoyed it thoroughly did I realise it was written by Kelly Harms, who also wrote The Overdue Life of Amy Byler, which I also enjoyed thoroughly
Amy
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, audio
Started this novella while gardening, and cried for the first 45 minutes because the wife of one of the main characters has cancer (back after remission). She dies.

But it is more than that. It is about getting through the grief and moving on. And taking care of those left behind. So this book touched me more than it might otherwise.

I like how the author introduced and developed the characters. I’ll look for more of her work.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Play Book Tag: You Can Thank Me Later by Kelly Harms -- 3.5 stars 1 10 Nov 26, 2019 05:18AM

• The Christmas Pact
  • Tinaca Jones
  • The Burnout Generation
  • The Way She Spoke
  • The Half-Life of Marie Curie
  • Camp Red Moon (an Audible Original)
  • You Ought To Know Adam Wade
Kelly Harms is the author of The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane and The Matchmakers of Minnow Bay. She has also worked with New York Times and USA Today bestselling authors, Edgar, RITA, and Agatha award winners, and Indie Next List Picks in her time as an editor at a division of HarperCollins and later as an agent at the Jane Rotrosen Agency. She lives in Madison, Wisconsin with her son ...more