Start by marking “Buried Deep” as Want to Read:
Buried Deep

Buried Deep

Listening Length: 2 hours and 38 minutes

In this pulse-pounding short thriller, Maggie Cabot refuses to sit by idly as police re-open an investigation into the mysterious death of a woman her husband used to know.

After two decades in a near-perfect marriage, Maggie and James Cabot are enjoying their first year as empty-nesters in their charming Florida suburb, until two
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published December 5th 2019 by Audible Original

Start your review of Buried Deep
Susanne  Strong
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
4 Stars.

How Well do You Really Know Your Spouse? Now there’s a question! Since I’m divorced (for good reason), I won’t answer that. Baah!

Married to James for twenty years, Maggie is very happy in her marriage and believes the two don’t have any secrets, until the day that two detectives show up at her door looking for her husband.

Cue the shock and the tears! James has some ‘splaining to do. That’s if he doesn’t get arrested first.

A well done audible original by Margot Hunt, narrated by
Autumn Araujo
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Predictable. Obnoxious. And annoying. Honestly, this "book" held no intrigue or surprise. I knew hands down who the killers were within the first two or three chapters. It wasn't hard to predict. Also... The wife was absolutely obnoxious in more ways than one. Not the best read or listen of my life in any way.
Alaina
Holy Cannoli.

Buried Deep was a pretty easy mystery/thriller to solve. Which is a smidge sad for me because I would make the worst detective ever. So if it was so freaking easy for me to pick out who the murderer was.. then you would all know just by reading the synopsis.

That being said, this book was messed up. Even though it was a lot shorter than I expected it to be.. so many things were wrong. Yes, people all hid the truth even if people didn't know the whole truth. Little parts of a
Laura Peden
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, audible
3.5 decent Audible freebie. Reminded me a bit of We Were Liars. ...more
Karina
Dec 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Insecure American housewife without a job, whose entire life evolves around her lacrosse-playing daughter and surgeon husband, is still jealous of an ex-girlfriend that disappeared 25 years earlier. And because the police are apparently completely incompetent, she decides to solve the matter by pestering his friends.

Ugh.
Camilla
Dec 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook, 2019-books
Heather R
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Audible Original is at first glance a basic whodunit, and as some reviewers have stated, the mystery itself is predictable. What sets this story apart is its depiction of what it’s like to be a family member/spouse of an accused person. As a criminal defense lawyer, I see what people go through and the emotional toll it takes- while regular life just keeps on going, oblivious to your private hell. This isn’t covered too much in most crime stories. The author did a great job with the jail ...more
Carvanz
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audiobook: Therese Plummer

I received this as part of my Audible membership and I picked it because of this narrator. I think it’s official I’m totally fangirling over her, her performances, and the pure perfection she brings to each book and each character contained within.

This is not a romance, but it does deal with relationship issues as well as falling in love. I don’t want to spoil anything but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this quick audio. It doesn’t get too involved due
Jenny Baker

This was one of my free Audible Originals. It's a good murder mystery with nice narration and it's just a couple hours long.
Deborahanndilley
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I struggled with the rating of this.... the characters are all horrible in their own way and I was appalled at how they lack human decency in the “twist” at the end. However, I also devoured this in one sitting, oftentimes making verbal comments.... so that has to count for something right?
Kate Putnam
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I accidentally saw the reviews from Karen (okboomer) before listening to this FREE book and felt I had to leave a review.

It’s an easy listen - like a beach read - quick and to the point. The author tells a story with detail and a set story line. I think it’s perfect for what it is and highly recommend it.
Jen Brodehl
4 Stars- A short audible original that was entertaining and easy to listen to. It made me want to read more from this author!
LeeTravelGoddess
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just do what you want why don’t you! ...more
Barbara
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the story of a couple married over 20 years whose daughter has just left for college. One day a police detective shows up looking for Maggie Cabot's husband James. It is about the discovery of remains of James girlfriend who disappeared 25 years ago. James, a doctor, is the perfect husband and father. How could he be guilty. Some surprises but also predictable.
Thomas
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I can't honestly say for sure just how good it is. I'm not a particular fan of this genre.

The what-really-happened-that-night style of murder mystery is pretty common fair in both fiction and true crime. A conspiracy of silence, layers of secrecy peeled away, a web of lies untangles, the shocking truth revealed in the end. This kind of story clearly has staying power and this one seemed to fit the bill all right, for what that's worth.

Anyway, it was short and free, so I have no complaints other
Brittany
Not bad for an Audible freebie. Short and bittersweet- would recommend if you’re looking for a quick mysterious listen.
Emma
Dec 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Can i file for divorce on behave of someone else?

The main character has extremely annoying jealousy flaws where she's jealous of a dead girl. Jealous everyone paying the dead girls murder attention. Jealous her husband ever loved someone before he ever met her. I lost all respect for the main character after she found out about the engagement secret years BEFORE he met her. She was legit mad it. Like what. She is entitled and rude. Legit. There is a line in the book about how even after hannah
Patrick
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think many reviewers here tend to rate this story lower because they don‘t like the main characters. In my humble opinion, the quality of a story has nothing to do with the likeability of the protagonists. In fact, my only criticism is that the author didn’t really use the full potential of the story - a few more twists and turns and this would have been a very enjoyable 8-10h listening experience. Liked the realism of the plot - I guess most people would just try to protect their everyday ...more
Brat
Dec 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I thought this story was going to go somewhere. But the whole book was pretty much the wife asking the same repeat questions of various characters. I guess I can't expect a 2hr long audiobook to have amazing character and plot development, or for fiction to be realistic, but... what a waste of time. At least the narrator was good.
Kai Van
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
well done narration, decent writing, ok story.
Andy
Dec 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
A parade of truly awful people.
Alan Teder
Predictable noirish novella
Review of the Audible Original audiobook edition (Dec. 2019)

Probably due to Ebert's Law of the Economy of Characters, this short novella was fairly predictable from its early stages. The narration by Thérèse Plummer was excellent in all voices.

Buried Deep was one of the free Audible Original audiobooks for members for the month of December 2019.
Nicole D.
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not pulse pounding not thrilling. Lame
Terry
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great, albeit short, novel. Good suspense, good build, and a really great ending. I look forward to reading more of Margot Hunt's novels. I enjoyed her characters and the growth and surprises that they all had.
Jeff
Dec 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I didn't buy in to the premise of Buried Deep from the start. This month's free Audible Original was a murder mystery told through the eyes of the irritating Maggie, a housewife living a "perfect life" until a 25 year-old missing person case involving her "perfect" husband comes back to light. Most of the rest of the book involves Maggie in the role of tenacious detective. She doesn't just pick up the phone to interview the other people involved in the case, she hops in the car and drives around ...more
Courtney Wynn
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was surprisingly good! Maybe it’s because I’ve read a lot of 1-3 star books recently, so listening to something I really enjoyed throughout and never got bored with was a nice change. Not that 3 star books are bad necessarily lol.

For this little murder mystery there were not a lot of suspects to consider for the murder and whodunit. That made the ending pretty predictable which had me originally putting this at 3 stars, BUT then in those last 5 minutes something in the story shifted that
Kentucky Bohemian (Grace)
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of suspense/thrillers
Shelves: audio-book
Fast Paced Thriller
Maggie and James Cabot have a nice life together. Until the sheriff from a nearby county comes to call, dredging up her husband's past and throwing their lives into the spin cycle. The intriguing little psycho-thriller offers up some interesting characters, like pro-active Maggie, who's not content to sit around and wait to see what law enforcement will "dig up" about her husband and his friends during their ill-fated outing.

The author packed a lot into such a short novella,
Maaya
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019
All the cliches and no surprises here. I was almost disappointed by the lack of an appearance of the good ol' "love you to the moon and back", but thank goodness we had a minor rephrasing of the classic "I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding". The characters were so unrealistically tropey and our nearly 50-year-old protagonist had the level of insecurity I would forgive only in someone half her age. I've seen better in stories like this. Much better. Let me point you to Gillian Flynn, ...more
Sawyer X
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
It started with "Yeah... I think I know what's going to happen."
Then it changed to "Do I know what's going to happen?"
Then "Okay, no, it isn't complex. I know what's going to happen. I think."
Then "Please, don't make it the obvious thing."
Then "Okay. Obvious thing. Great..."
And then the epilogue was like "Okay, I definitely didn't see that coming. Nice."

Overall, alright. A quick listen. Lightweight. Maybe file under "cozy mystery"?
Becky Cox
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
What really happened that night on the beach? After 25 years, questions resurface, but there is no evidence to prove whether a murder actually took place. The truth lies in the memories of people who have deep loyalties to each other, but a determined wife seeks to uncover secrets that have been buried deep.
An interesting read that proves how deeply each of us is flawed.

• The Christmas Pact
  • Midnight Son
  • Pont Neuf
  • Tinaca Jones
  • The Minuteman
  • You Can Thank Me Later: A Novella
  • The Half-Life of Marie Curie
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #0.5)
  • My Lost Family
  • Body Of Proof
Margot Hunt is the pseudonym of a bestselling writer of twelve previous novels. Her work has been praised by Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist and Kirkus Reviews. BEST FRIENDS FOREVER is her first psychological thriller.

Learn more about Margot and her forthcoming books at
margothunt.com.