Start by marking “Dark Hunger” as Want to Read:
Dark Hunger

Dark Hunger

The New York Times bestselling author's Carpathian classic goes Manga!

Christine Feehan has reinvented the vampire novel with her New York Times bestselling Carpathian series. Now she and Berkley take her "out-of-the- ordinary" (Booklist) in a thrilling new direction--and this time it's more graphic than ever.

Riordan is an immortal Carpathian male, trapped and caged, hi
Paperback, Graphic Novel, 208 pages
Published October 2nd 2007 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Hunger

Erika

I didn't read the Manga version but I couldn't find an edition here to choose.

Anyway, this was pretty good for a novella. Something violent and awful happens to the heroine's sister though and and it REALLY upset me. This heroine was different from others before in that she had been very sexually active in the past while the hero had not (since he had been without emotion or passion for hundreds of years). I get that sexuality is a big part of life for the shifters. I don't think I am
Adrienne
Sep 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-loan
This was only my second 'manga' book, and I guess because this one doesn't read back to front it may not be considered manga to the true fan...however.

I'm not a Christine Feehan fan..I've tried to read her novels in the past and not been able to feel the love, however, this was a really enjoyable read , from start to finish it took maybe a couple of hours, the story flowed well and made sense. The art work is is very attractive, but to the true manga fan may fall short, as it feels very westerni
Ally
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
This was a very unique way of reading Ms Feehan's Dark series and I have to admit I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and have picked it up more than once since I bought it!
Paraphrodite
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3 stars.

I found this at the library and was curious. Having read it, I found it just too condensed and tamed down. I'm assuming it's directed at a YA audience and not really to romance readers.

Not sure if this Carpathian series makes a good conversion for a manga series anyway, with its repetitive theme and different main characters. I would have thought a series with the same main leads and a wider universe would work better for this medium.
Bloggeretterized
Mar 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I only "read" this for bookish bingo.

First graphic novel I've ever read. Not sure I chose the right one to be the first in this genre.

The illustrations weren't that good IMHO. The text was too little and I had to guess some words. The dude didn't do it for me, physically, hahaha. Only thing I liked was Solange's haircut.
The story didn't do it for me. Weird insta-possessive-love is not my cup of tea. The idea of total submission is not my idea of romance. I like my vampires being vampires and s
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I ENJOYED IT!!

I loved Riordan and Juliette's story Dark Hunger. When I first read this graphic book/ Manga back in 2007: which is debatable to some reviewers. I had mixed feelings becasue I didn't know what to expect.

However, I loved the Carpathians and Riordan De La Cruz's character is right on the mark. Who doesn't love a Da Le Cruz!! Juliette made the perfect LifeMate. She is intelligent, beautiful, strong, brave and compassionate. Riordan is a De La Cruz what more is there to say, Tall, Dar
Deidre
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Disappointing at best. Honestly I grew up loving comics like Richie Rich and Casper the Friendly Ghost and thought I would like this too but this is terrible. The characters look so much alike from the profile that it is hard to tell them apart and the little bit of story there is with it reads like "Me Big Strong Tarzan, U Little Jane, Me Taking UR Blood Now, Yes Please I So Dizzy, Now UR Mine"

So my advice to all the Carpathian fans who are looking at this as an interesting addition to the ser
Roxanne
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Better than the novella simply because it takes less time to read. Not the best substance to sex ratio for my taste. I prefer much more character development or storyline than frivolous sex scenes than the Carpathian novels tend to provide. I must enjoy some part of them, though, since I have read all of them up through Dark Ghost.
Brindi Michele
I'm a huge Feehan fan, but not a fan of the Carpathians. I'm just not big on vampires (er, almost vampires), usually, but I did enjoy reading THIS story in THIS format. Of course, a lot falls by the wayside in graphic novels (I would not call this manga), so I found myself chuckling at a few scenes....clearly imagining what may have gone on in the actual text version.
Aliya
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
A fun, cheesy, and entertaining read. One star for the use of unique creatures and the other for my enjoyment. However laughable this book was if you're close to a slump pick this up, you'll be back in the reading mood in no time.
Casey Anderson
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Not exactly great literature but engaging and I read almost all of it in one sitting. I've not read this series of hiss o this was my first experience. Cool world. Not as sexy as I expected but maybe cause it's a manga? Also I thought manga's had to be right to left?
SavanaS
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great Dark Series novel.
Shyla Colt
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice summary of the book. I enjoyed the art and the sass they injected in the women. They stayed true to who the characters were.
Judith Parra
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SPOILERS!!!! Story takes place in the jungle. Juliette and Jasmine are attempting to infiltrate an animal research lab to rescue animals. The two women are sisters and the jungle is their home.As Juliette works on freeing the animals, she feels compelled to investigate a room with a locked door.

Behind the door lies Riordan, he is the youngest brother of five....the famous De La Cruz brothers. Similar to Jacques' story, Riordan was poisoned by a vampire and turned over to the ever present and tr
Holly
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is a great book! It is my very first Manga Version of any book and I love it! I was trying to remember if I have read the original version and I was lucky enough to have this book on my shelf, so I picked it up and read it. It was a very quick read and the graphics are amazing. Please, please Christine do a Manga Version of Dark Slayer! If you are Dark fan this is a must on the shelf. It's just very unique.
Kathy
from ss collection entitled Hot Blooded...

Juliette, a panther shifter, and her sister Jasmine & cousin Solange are on a crusade in the Brazilian jungle to protect and rescue female panther shifters from a group of male panther shifters (who may be affected by vampires) who are kidnapping & raping female panthers in an effort to breed male panthers… (including their mother and aunt)…

Riordan is the youngest of the Brazilian DeLaCruz’s in Brazil… and he was tricked & captured by a mast
Debbie
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Chained to a wall by the humans, caught in a trap surely set by a master vampire, Riordan was running out hope. Witnessing the men take more wild animals into the new research building, Juliette and her sister Jasmine needed to save the animals before they were tortured, finding not only animals but a man, nearly broke her heart. Binding themselves together meant one big family.

Several months ago I read the novella version of this story, so I knew what was going to happen. I know several people
JP
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've read this comic again yesterday, but I have to say I didn't really enjoy it. This story was the first I read by Christine Feehan as a novella, but unfortunately this comic does not do it for me. The drawings were okay looking, a little too simplistic for my taste. Some shadowing looked awkward and some of the applied textures didn't fit.

What I didn't like at all was how the story was told in this comic. The deep feeling both characters had didn't get through at all. The initial reluctance o
Farah
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm a huge fan of Manga and of Christine Feehan's Dark books so this was something I just had to get but after reading it *noting it took almost no time whatsoever and that was a huge let down* it turned to be quite lacking and even cheesy.

I'm familiar with the story as I've read it before but unfortunately it was executed very poorly in this manga. The art was ok but the character development , the dialogue and the action just seemed to fall very short and missed a lot of details. The characte
Samantha
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Taking a small break from the major vampire plot line to advance the jaguar plot line the readers learned about first in Dark Symphony, but this time with non-evil women who can shift.

The relationship happened super fast but don’t they all when it’s a novella? Riordan is so sweet and funny, I don’t know if it’s him being the youngest of five brothers or not but Rafael could use a few lessons on how to court your lifemate.

I would say that the reaction of Solange and Jasmine to Riordan was a littl
Holly Letson
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mangas
A tale of true love beyond your own species, this manga will definitely keep your attention!

Juliette is a shapeshifter. She lives her life as both a jaguar and a human female. She has feelings from both forms, but her jaguar runs the deepest.

Her life centers around protecting her cousin and her sister, who are also shapeshifters that live as both jaguar and human. But, true love turns her life upside-down, when she meets the Carpathian named Riordan, who swears that she is his *lifemate*. Lifem
Jenny Delandro
Borrowed as anthology Darkest at dawn

1st Book Dark Hunger
Juliette and her sister Jasmine enter a facility deep in the jungle to free animals...

But Juliette finds a man behind the last locked door.. Riordan who has been trapped and caged like an animal - kept weak by a new drug...

when Juliette enters the room he sees colours

Queue the inspiration music and fire works
(view spoiler)
Kathy
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really 2.75 Rating,

This review will be brief, since this book has already been thoroughly reviewed already. I didn't enjoy this installment as much as the first book in this trilogy, Insatiable Desire. Although this book was darker and grittier than its predecessor, I found it to be extremely predictable and too conveniently coincidental. I mean, I could see every move coming; it was as if the plot was transparent. I can usually handle very predictable books but there has to at least be an inter
Lisa
Dec 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
You can probably see how much I like Christine Feehan's books based on all my high ratings. Big fan. But, I didn't like this one at all.

I don't read comic books, not appealing to me. This book is basically a comic book. The illustrations are okay I guess but the clipped dialogue is bad. If I hadn't read previous Carpathian novels I wouldn't have followed what was happening with any understanding. Just questions.

All it did was make me wish there was a full book about Riordan and Juliette. It's
Christine
I came across this book while I was living in Tennessee a few months ago and decided to give these immortal alpha-males another chance. I’ve had lots going on for the last few months and haven’t gotten around to reading this until now (having your power knocked out leaves you with lots of time…).

Needless to say, I just can’t get into the Carpathian stories even in graphic novel format. I really can’t even articulate what it is about them I don’t like but something about them rubs me the wrong (
Chibineko
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I like Feehan's books for the most part. I picked this book up because I was a fan of manga & I figured that this would be a fun read. Boy was I wrong! First off, the artwork is terrible, even by the standards of US manga artists. It's like they didn't even try to coax one of the more talented artists to illustrate it. I also think that while an illustrated/comic format of Feehan's books would be entertaining, manga was not the right way to go.

The storyline also suffered greatly at the hand
Kate
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
I read the graphic novel first and I liked it. It obviously lacked the detail that one can get by reading the actual story (both storyline wise and steamy scene wise) After I read the graphic novel I wanted more of the details so I read the short story too it definitely shed more light on the plot that got lost in translation. I loved Juliette and her inhibition. The Jaguar's look like they're going to offer a wealth of lifemates for the Carpathians .. though I do feel bad for the one who gets S ...more
Cherise
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
Heather andrews
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I was in middle school I was addicted to Christine Feehan's books and I'm so glad I got back to reading her stuff, may be reading out of order but that's okay. Riordan is possessive and bossy, "you will remain silent. I will kill anything that comes to your aid. Is that understood?" He's also a jealous man, "do not what me. You were thinking of another man." And he admits to being jealous and admits that he's probably gonna act like a ninny all the time, "yes, I am going to be an idiot and ...more
Viviam
Jul 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Juliette goes into a laboratory in search of endangered animals to save. Instead she finds Riordan, her lifemate and tortured Carpathian male, held captive. They escape and he blows the laboratory up. Juliette tells him that she is concerned for her sister and cousin in the jungle, and the go to find them. When they go to her house they find that jaguar men, horrible cruel people, have kidnapped her family. They have to quickly find them before they do irrevocable damage to her only kin.
I liked
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: I think this should be added to series 2 17 Mar 26, 2019 05:44PM

• Dark Descent (Dark, #9.5)
“The minute I'm in a little pain ... your rough, tough, scary bad boy image totally falls apart.” 34 likes