Start by marking “Summoned (Sundance, #2)” as Want to Read:
Summoned (Sundance, #2)

Summoned

(Sundance #2)

A telepath with a lethal twist.

My name is Neely and I live among shapeshifters in the desert truckstop town of Sundance, California. As a telepath-spiker, I can read a person's thoughts.

I can also spike deadly power straight into their brain.

I'm in an uneasy relation-friend-ship with Lucas Blacke, an enigmatic tiger alpha that I'm drawn to, but don't fully trust. When Xav
Published November 30th 2019 by VC Group, LLC

Start your review of Summoned (Sundance, #2)
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
3.5 stars, grudgingly rounded up to 4.

I say grudgingly because even though the writing is engaging and the plotline is pretty unique, I'm starting to develop a real dislike of the hero and heroine.

The hero - because he is, to put it frankly, an alphahole. I have NEVER used this word before, but it's the only one that seems appropriate. I'm a huge fan of alpha heroes - I've liked some really dodgy ones - but Lucas rubs me the wrong way. He seems far more invested in his own interests than th
Jeanny
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was more interested in Chandra the assassin then I was Nelly the FMC. I found her to be a bright as the moon during a lunar eclipse, dull & her behavior was asinine. Nothing about the FMC appealed to me. As for her love interest, he was a bully. The chemistry between them
forced. So why did I read book 2? Bc the FMC’s species is unique. She’s a telepath that can not just read your thoughts she can also kill the person by shooting what amounts to power straight into the persons 🧠 brain. Cool rig
Jen Davis
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this second book in the series a bit more than the first... primarily because the hero is evolving from the alphahole playboy to the unsure, slightly vulnerable guy who is clearly falling for the heroine.

Neely is likable and I appreciate the unique nature of her gifts. But where I struggle a little with her is that despite the very real dangers she has faced in two books now, she is still reticent to use them. She can read people's minds for crying out loud. I know it would be tough fo
Swalsk
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice ending. Really wanting more.
Karen
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Really enjoyable

First I want to state I am not a grammar aficionado. However in the book there are editing errors that need to be taken care of so if that’s the kind of thing that drives you crazy this may not be the book for you. If you are someone who can enjoy the story and get over the editing errors quickly then read the story. You will laugh you will enjoy the tension between all the characters the interaction and the ending.
Maggie Lynn Heron-Heidel
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series is seriously addictive

I’m binging this series. I’m immediately picking up book three. Very good shifter series that has me begging to know what happens next.
Dallass
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
No second book syndrome here folks.

Another great read. Neely is such a wonderful character to follow. She’s not your typical cookie cutter character, and I like that she has flaws and insecurities. Lucas however got on my nerves just a tad. He always claims to be there for her (Neely), and that he won’t leave her... and then he promptly hoes and does just that. Then he seems to be honestly affronted when she, quite rightfully, gets upset with him. He did it in the first book and it seems that he
Miranda F.
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked this one even better than the first one.

It has all the same good things going for it (setting, protag, easy fluidity of the voice that matches so much else in the book), but I liked the characters even better this time around.

I like that we're getting to know the love interest more, but we're also getting much more info about all the characters' pasts, and we learn more about side characters who have become more multifaceted and who I'm beginning to adore.

Plus I love the humor.
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I love this series, Neely is fabulous, moralistic and has an inner strength, clever, independent and makes Lucas work for everything, I love her, sure she has trust issues but who wouldn’t with her past. I love Dolores and Dottie, I would so read a spin off for those witches and Chandra needs her own book too, I love the friendship growing between her and Neely. Absolutely brilliant.
Wende
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved

I really loved how Neely and Jacob in this book. Their relationship is moving along nicely. It is a lovely book with murder and mayhem. Just like I like my shifter romance books.
Denisa
The nice-ness continues.

This book is just as in-between as the previous one.
Sailorv911
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I didn’t think I could possibly love this book more than I did the first one, but I was wrong. I am loving the character development, and the plot kept me guessing. Can’t wait for the next one!!!
Meredith
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So good

This second book feels as fresh and exhilarating as the first. And by fresh, i mean that it doesn’t read like some of the trite, flat, repetitive UF out there. This story is doing its own thing and doing it well. Highly recommend
Airwreckah
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read

Well written and entertaining and unique, engaging- kept me up past my kids bedtimes and mine too.
Both this and the first book in the series are worth reading
Lynn DiVecchio
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I rarely write reviews...this one is worth it

Great plot and the characters are interesting, quirky and fun. Love the two witches...the book needs them to balance all the drama. Hopefully the main character gets to lighten up a bit too. She's had a rough two books. I like her when she's snarky and can see her developing into something more fun the more she accepts herself and realizes her power. Then she'll be a badass 😉 I even looked up the author to see if she's written anything else. I rarely
Jumms
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Oh Neely

The most frustrating thing abt this story is the main character Neely. I mean the fact that by now she hasn't figured out that she needs to actively use her powers so ppl don't get hurt is just dumb.

The story picks up where we left off and Neely amd Lucas make plans to go and see Lucas' old alpha Malcom. Malcolm and his pack are batbleep crazy and you can see how they affect Lucas. We get introduced to other shifters and alpha leaders and madness ensues.

Neely learns the depths of her po
Jeni
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Need book 3!

So many things happened in this book. It's not a cliffhanger but I NEED the next book. Malcolm was an awesome bad guy, and the short term arc was addressed but the overall arc, which had substantial progress, got seriously interesting and on top of that theres the romantic part. Ugh. Ok. That about all I can say without spoilers because this book was packed from beginning to end.
Stacy B
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great follow up

This book was really good. I think I liked it better than the first, and that one was amazing. I really like all of the characters and this world. I look forward to reading more.
Helen Michael
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's really Good

I enjoy the characters. I like that he is strong and funny. She gets on my nerves a bit, a little to much angst and drama from her. But I think with good character profession I might come to like her.
Brandi
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good book

I enjoyed this book. It was action packed and had some romance (if only a little) to keep the romantic in me appeased. I can’t wait to see what happens next between Lucas and Neely and what other adventures they will embark on.
B
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good solid story

Still not rh like I thought this was going to be when I started the series. Liked the length of the book, and glad she finally got her man. This story definitely focuses on more of the world building than steamy hot times.
Lisa Brown
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I really enjoyed this second book in the Sundance Series. The characters are so good. Can't wait for the next one.
Ela
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun continuation of the Sundance series, complete with adventure, intrigue and magic.
Marsha
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Summoned “ is a great follow up to t huh e first read in the Sundance series. This time Luca’s former Alpha, Xavier Malcolm has requested to meet Neely. She doesn’t want to go but Luca’s convinces her that Malcolm will it give up until he meets her. So, they head to San Diego.

Malcolm is another full of himself Alpha and Neely is scared to death; but, she manages to hold her own. He wants her to actual spike him to determine what is causing him to feel as though he is dying. Soon it is discovere
Cina Meyer
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Mild spoilers in this review.

I liked this book as much as the first one.

In this book we see Neely and Lucas take their relationship to the next level.

One thing bothered, me though. In the first book, Neely refuses to read people (meaning listen to their thoughts) all the time because of some personal honor code. In Summoned, she is in a strange place around another powerful alfa and his shifters, and her and Lucas's lives are in danger, and she is STILL not reading people all the time. I get it
Angela
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Better than the first book

I was worried reading the first book was the actual ‘first book’ from a new author. But OMG, the second book met the first book and blew it off its heels.

The machinations, the feels, the storyline!! Just amazing.

I’m sorry. I don’t know who this author is, but the feds should know about her and draft her into service! She’d blow away any think-tank DC has! I

The only downside? I only had tears two or three times this book. What can I say? I was a little in love with Ti
Kat
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO SO GOOD!

Even better than the first, and that is saying something, because the first book - Spiked - is one of the best debuts I’ve ever read, and one of my favorite books of this year.

This book ratcheted up the stakes, the scope, the relationships, and the sexual tension between Lucas and Neely. I LOVE learning more about this world; the world-building increases in scope here, and I can’t get enough.

Although there is no cliffhanger, per se, there are many unanswered questions and things le
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put it down once I picked it up. This is a strong sequel to CP Riders debut novel. I loved that this book was about Neely understanding her powers and how she learns and grows with her powers and the world she is in.

I really liked that we learned more about Lucas and the pack he came from, though there were parts that could have been fleshed out more. His grandma? Would love to know more.

Overall really liked this book. A little so-so on the ending because it left a lot of things un-ti
Krista
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever dragged out a story as long as you could because it was absolutely wonderful and you knew you wouldn't find another one like it for a long time???
And I made 11 highlights for this thing- so I really enjoyed it.
This series was that for me. I love Lucas and how sarcastic he gets when he is tired.
I like how Neely speaks her mind.
I love Chandra, her takes no BS attitude.
Dan- meh- and Malcolm- and that whole messed up in the head business. Very unique if a little contrived.
But enfolded
John Colley
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it

After reading the first-person book I had to dive straight into the next. It's playing havoc with my sleeping but heyho. All your favourites are here _ what do you mean you don't have favourites. Go back and read book 1. There is another dastardly alpha who needs taking care of and I don't mean Lucas who gets taken care of in other ways. Neely has really grown in this book. More Lestat please he's the star of the show. Awesome book. Just make sure that you write quickly.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Broken Loyalty (Jacky Leon, #3)
  • Echoed Defiance (Jacky Leon, #4)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Bounty (Kaliya Sahni, #1)
  • Shades of Hate (Jacky Leon, #5)
  • Snared (Kaliya Sahni, #2)
  • Brimstone Bound (Firebrand, #1)
  • Heart of Shadows (Alice Worth, #5)
  • Infernal Enchantment (Firebrand, #2)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • Midnight Smoke (Firebrand, #3)
  • Heart of Vengeance (Alice Worth, #6)
  • Earp & Chandra (Sundance, #2.5)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • Heart of Stone (Alice Worth, #4)
See top shelves…

C.P. Rider has worked as a decorative and mural painter, a fitness instructor, and a background investigator for nuclear power plants, all of which prepared her in strange and different ways for writing paranormal and urban fantasy romance.

Originally from the California southwestern desert, she now lives a little closer to the ocean with her family, including 3 dogs, a cat, 2 fish, and the occasi

Sundance (5 books)
  • Spiked (Sundance #1)
  • Sabotaged (Sundance, #3)
  • Shattered (Sundance #4)
  • Shifted (Sundance #5)

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...
“Marry me." My left eyebrow shot up. "I might take your proposal more seriously if you said it to me instead of the steaks." "I was talking to the steaks.” 1 likes
“He grabbed another warm cookie off the pan. "I know you probably won't marry me if I ask, since I did propose to the steaks a few minutes ago, but how about being my friend?" I laughed. "I think I can manage that." "Stay out of this, Neely. I'm talking to the cookie.” 1 likes