Start by marking “How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People” as Want to Read:
How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People

How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People

Dale Carnegie shows you how to:
Develop poise Gain self-confidence Improve your memory Make your meaning clear Begin and end a talk Interest and charm your audience Improve your diction Win and argument without making enemies

How to Develop Self-Confidence and Influence People by Public Speaking also offers hundreds of practical and valuable tips on influencing the

Published May 31st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1905)

Start your review of How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People
Stefanie Sugia
in the beginning of the book, it is said that many people are having difficulties with public speaking. the introduction encourage the readers to not feel ashamed about it; because some of the best speakers these days had also experienced it before their success. to be able to overcome weakness in public speaking, Dale Carnegie mentioned 4 essential things before explaining things further:

1. start with a strong and persistent desire

2. to know thoroughly what you are going to talk about

3. act
Lotte
Feb 20, 2016 added it
Shelves: owned, owned-read
Wasn't too fond of this book to be really honest. That's not cause it was poorly written but because it wasn't what I was expecting at all. I bought this book for tips about gaining self-confidence, but instead I just got chapters upon chapters about famous people who enjoy public speaking. It wasn't helpful for me at all. But if you are looking for a book which talks about all the do's and don'ts of public speaking, definitely give it a go.
Jayne Mattson
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Many of Dale Carnegie's book are ones you read in intervals since they are meant to teach, inpsire and hopefully for you to make changes in your life. With that said, it takes time and so, this book I've used more as a resource than reading all the way through.
Chris
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Although this book may seem a little plain, I think that you can be sure you will get something from this book that you wont regret in practice. If you need some ideas on how to make your public-speaking skills a little more colorful or to leave a greater impression on your listeners, this book can provide a good reference on how to do so. ...more
Godiva Rachel
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I'm lacking confidence or when I need a little push and inspiration, I read this book from the famous Dale Carnegie.
Sergiu Cipcigan
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the book, it gave a lot of tips and tricks into public speaking and how to be more self-confident in the process.

The chapters can be seen as a step by step checklist when preparing a presentation and I think that just looking over the chapter names can bring up ideas.

The more I read from Dale Carnegie, the more I understand why his books are valid over longer periods of time. His examples like Lincoln, Washington and other historical figures are timeless.

I think the title is a
Inga Pizāne
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration
Vienkāršas, bet ļoti noderīgas atziņas par publisku uzstāšanos, piemēram, "don't speak until you have something to say", "a well prepared speech is already 9/10 delivered", "notes destroy about 50% of the interest in talk" un tamlīdzīgi. Ir svarīgi sev šīs lietas laiku pa laikam atgādināt, - īpaši pirms svarīgām uzstāšanās reizēm. Izsprukt cauri sveikā bez gatavošanās nav iespējams. To patiešām var just - ir cilvēks gatavojies vai nav.
Kaustav Banerjee
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Arunayan Sharma
Good but not best. In today's context it is not as good as it is.
Wang Jiao
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Most of the points raised by the author is platitudes and cliché. Maybe it was original back in 1920s, but certainly not now. So drop it and read some more contemporary books.
J. L. Hannah
Ten years ago I bought this book in the Extreme Clearance section at Barnes & Noble. It was the very same day of my first speech in college. I bought it, read some of it, and then for more or less ten years it sat unread in the basket behind the toilet.

I'm not sure why I saved it, because I have given almost all my books away in a number of purges over the years, but I did save it, and I recently read it... day-by-day... in the best lit reading room I know.

I liked the excerpts section more
Seedy Darboe
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
How to develop self-confidence and influence people is an essential book when attempting to build someones mental capabilities. It gives an abundance of practical and valuable tips on the topics it covers such as Influence and self-confidence. It is a known fact that many people but more relevantly college students have troubles with public speaking. Public speaking is something that is to be practiced regardless of who the person is. Some of the best public speakers today have come from time ...more
Aman
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
The prefix How To in Dale Carnegie's book attracts reader, the same it did to me. The title motivated me to pick this book. I have make up my mind that I am going to get some great insights and ways which will help in furnishing my public speaking skill, but I was wrong. The books deals with a sort of very basic advice which most of the guys know, like Do prepare your speech well , memorize it over and over , be confident and many other. I believe the fact that this is something everyone knows. ...more
Camilasc
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philo
This book is a companion to Carnegie's other classic, "How to Win Friends and Influence People". So some of the anectodes, passages, and principles are shared (such as Carnegie's fascination with the life of ex-US president Abraham Lincoln). And the reading of both books offers a complementary set of ideas and skills that share the same aim: learning to deal with other people, publicly and privately.

Not only is this a comprenhensive guide to developing the art of public speaking (a job it
Bismarck Public Library
If you have a speech or presentation to give, read this book first! Although this book was first written in 1926, it continues to be one of the most popular books on effective public speaking. There are hundreds of practical and valuable tips.

CLICK HERE to find "How to Develop Self-Confidence & Influence People by Public Speaking" in Bismarck Public Library's online catalog.
Robert
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference, self-help
Even though I loved Dale Carnegie's more well known classic "How to win friends and influence people" I found myself having to really push my way through this one.I would find this helpful if I were a public speaker or aspired to be one. Although many of the examples are dated and were perhaps more well known at the time of the original publication it's ideas and principles are still relevant

How to Win Friends & Influence People
SteveR
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
If you deal with employees, customers or ... people, this is a "must" read. The first half of the book is on public speaking which is very good. The second half includes sections from "How to Win Friends & Influence People," and it's great. Some common sense, but not common traits in most of us. Things that we should learn at an early age and then make habits on how to treat people.
Dilawar
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
oNe of d mosT inFluEncIng bo0ks iN my lIfe....:)
Garrett Hyde
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very well researched examples. Full of practical speech building, refining, and presenting tips.
Maryam aloumi
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
it deserves more than 5 stars
Mike Hohrath
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has since been republished under the name "Public Speaking for Success" but I suppose they liked the naming formula of his classic "How to find friends and etc."

Despite being involved in Toastmasters for almost four years now, I have read surprisingly few books on the art of public speaking. As a result, I did not have much to compare this too, outside of my own experiences. Perhaps as a result, I found myself nodding in agreement to most of the advice and premises of this book.

The
Fahasa
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will show you how to overscome the natural fear of public speaking and even learn to enjoy it. Drawing on dale carnegie s years of experience as a business trainer, this practical book will help you to become a successful speaker. His invaluable advice includes ways to: * develop poise * gain self-confidence * improve your memory * make your meaning clear * begin and end a talk effectively * interest and charm your audience * improve your diction * win an argument without making ...more
Kirana N
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Finally... I made it to the end.

The book actually contains heaps of valuable lessons to develop public speaking skill an applicative read indeed. But, since it was written in the early 20th century, it is quite tedious with so many examples of famous people in the past that are no longer relevant (especially for non-Americans) such as Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt and Charlie Chaplin.

If you are planning to read this book with the hope to improve your public speaking ability, I suggest you
Karen
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this really helpful in how to be positive and confident to speak even in meetings, it is about public speaking on a grand scale but can be used for small scale as well. So much food for thought and lots of good ideas to take away. The key is in the preparation and passion for the subject. Although the book is dated all the ideas remain relevant. I read it right through and am now going back using the synopsis at the end of each chapter to work on. I found this really interesting and ...more
Tiina Henry-Biabaud
I was expecting very much from this book since I loved the other book from the author (How to win friends and influence people). Somehow I just didnt find this so impressing. It was just ok. It might be also because I dont have lack of self-confidence in public speaking. Im more interested in developing my rhetoric and charisma. ...more
Adamičková Lucia
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book should be in the survival box of every speaker, simple but effective tips with the backstage stories of the great and known speakers. It helped me a lot with the speech preparations, there is a summary at the end of every chapter which is handy even after you finish the book.
Read and practice, practice, practice :-)
Priyanka Kumari
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice book to develop your self-confidence. Dale Carnegie is the best motivational writer of all time. His writings are really impressive and have the capacity to transformation the level of energy within your body from 0 to 20.
Emil Iliev
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
hope will be good book
Zuhair Zulkaply
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, I will for sure read this again, it definitely is an encouraging book
Manuel
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Dale Carnegie. What I really like about him is, that his topics and facts are so relatable and not some abstract concept to grasp. He is on point.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Personal Development for Smart People: The Conscious Pursuit of Personal Growth
  • Winning with People
  • Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • How to Live on 24 Hours a Day
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • The Choice
  • The Personality Code
  • Law of Success
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • Attitude is Everything change your attitude change your life!
  • The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • The Greatest Salesman in the World, Part II: The End of the Story
  • You Can If You Think You Can
  • Speak Like Churchill, Stand Like Lincoln: 21 Powerful Secrets of History's Greatest Speakers
Dale Breckenridge Carnegie (originally Carnagey until 1922 and possibly somewhat later) (November 24, 1888 November 1, 1955) was an American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking and interpersonal skills. Born in poverty on a farm in Missouri, he was the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, ...more