Start by marking “Single” as Want to Read:
Single

Single

When single mother Darcy’s son falls from a rope bridge at a local playground, life stands still. She clutches his small, limp body, frozen, until a pair of strong hands push her aside, and she watches as George, a local doctor, saves her son’s life. George is a single parent too, and with his twinkling hazel eyes, easy charm, and lack of wedding band is almost too good to ...more
Published November 25th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Single, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Single

Start your review of Single
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: The simple fact of the matter is that she doesn't belong with him. She's getting in the way and acting so selfishly.

Her two sons are just pawns in the game. Defenceless boys who are being dragged along against their will.

Someone has got to help those children. Even if one of them gets hurt in the process.

Collateral damage...that's what they call it, isn't it?

ABOUT THIS BOOK: When single mother Darcy’s son falls from a rope bridge at a local playground, life stands still. She clutches hi
Holly  B
3.5 Stars decided to just round up for my one of my fav. authors!

My seventh novel by this author. This novel has an interesting cast of characters and I spent much of the book trying to diagnose them all!

I was never bored and did start to question one particular character's actions- wondering what they were hiding. I even made up one twist on my own that actually was wrong, but hey, I thought it was good. The other twist, I did predict. And there were some good twists and turns that surprised me
Ceecee
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3+stars

This psychological thriller is principally told from the point of view of Darcy, widowed with two young sons and of surgeon George Mortimer, a widower with a daughter called Romy. Darcy’s husband Joel had betrayed her in some way and George has skeletons in his closet. As the two become closer a twisty story emerges.

The characters in the book, whilst not all likeable are easy to picture. The children probably emerge as the nicest characters. I really like the Nottingham setting as that’s
Mark
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

WOW! Kim Slater does it yet again with this her 10th psychological thriller and anyone who reads my reviews know I have loved them all and every time a new one is out its my new favourite, well, again, ‘Single’ is my new favourite!
Just how many twists and turns can you get in one book?, being a bit of an ‘old hand’ re psychological thrillers I think I have read most things but this book is genius at how
the plot keeps you guessing and guessing and then guessing some more
Darcy’s life is a mess, t
Shruti
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Single was one hell of a ride.

K. L. Slater introduces us to Darcy, a single mother who finds out the harsh truth about her husband, Joel, after he dies. While struggling to raise two kids on her own, she accepts help from Joel's parents and sister who adore her sons but despises the control they have over her life. One day, a local doctor, George, saves her asthmatic son's life and she falls head over heels for him. Their relationship is not approved of by Darcy's in-laws and neither by George'
Berit☀️✨
K L Slater has once again robbed me of a night of sleep! I made the mistake of picking this up before bed and I just could not put it down. Twisted and addicting, I was completely hooked from the very first page. Darcy A widow and mother of two young boys is still struggling to find her footing. One day while at the park her youngest son has an asthma attack and his inhaler is not where it should be. Lucky for Darcy there is a doctor in the house. Handsome Dr. George Oliver is soon on the scene ...more
Bren
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Domestic thrillers
"it had that upmarket feel that always translated to him as pretentious. Small and intimate, it was filled with professional, ambitious types who looked as if they'd just finished working at their plum jobs in trendy advertising agencies. Every time the door opened, they'd glance up and sweep the new diners head to foot, looking to compare for signs of success:a designer suit, an expensive pair of shoes or handbag".

Single by K.L. Slater

What am I doing Christmas Eve? Reading of coarse!

This one i
Carrie
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Having previously read many of K.L. Slater’s psychological thrillers I already knew going into Single to expect good, solid writing. Thankfully, I was right on that count and immediately became engrossed in this latest psychological thriller.

Darcy is a single mother of two boys that while she has them playing at the playground the unthinkable happens and one of her boys falls. Thankfully there was a doctor also at the playground with his daughter and he manages to save Darcy’s son’s life.

Seeing
Gary
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the writing of KL Slater and always struggle to put them down once started. This one was no different and I was hooked from page 1.
The books main character is single mother Darcy and her life suddenly crashes when her son falls from a rope bridge at a local playground. Her sons limp lifeless body lies on the floor with Darcy feeling helpless only to be saved by George a local off duty doctor.

George is also a single parent and Darcy feels instantly indebted to him and she starts to
Carolyn
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When two widowed single parents meet and fall in love, there are bound to be complicating factors from their pasts but this pair of lovers have more baggage than most. For Darcy Hilton, mother of Kane and Harrison, it's her husband Joel's other woman, Daniela Frost who she only found about after he died and for Dr George Mortimor, father of Romy, it's his ex Opal Vardy. Darcy had a breakdown after Joel died and she found out about Daniela, but Joel's family were great, taking custody of the boys ...more
Pauline
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Single by K. L. Slater is a psychological thriller with lots of twists and turns.
Darcy is a widow with two young boys and is finding it hard to cope.
Her youngest son has an asthma attack at the play park and a local doctor who is there with his young daughter helps to save her son. Darcy immediately falls for George and visits him at his place of work.
Lots going on behind the scenes in this story with quite a few narrators and a lot of red herrings.
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for my e-
Linda Strong

Darcy has had a few rough years. Her husband died four years ago and she went into a mental spin. For a while her in-laws had custody of her two young boys while she got the help she needed.

She's now doing much better, her boys are happy and she's managing. When a health emergency happens to one of her sons, she meets George ... a local doctor who saves the boy's life.

One thing leads to another and the two of them go from coffee dates to Darcy's moving in with him and his young daughter. They ha
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
K L Slater is a master of the psychological thriller genre and Single is yet another example of this. I read this book in just a few hours, not ready to put it down and determined to work out how it would end. Every scenario I came up with was wrong, and to me that is a sign of a great story. This one was so twisty and believable - fantastic. If you have not read anything by Slater before what are you waiting for? Seriously, you will not regret it.

Darcy is a single mum, having lost her husband 4
Angela Marsons
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, where to start with this book! I’ve learned from experience that it is unlikely that I’m going to put down a book by this author once I start. And, of course, I was right. From the very first page I was totally engrossed in Darcy’s story. From just 15% I had my eyes open to all the characters suspecting them of all kinds of shenanigans but even my own suspicious mind couldn’t prepare me for all the twists and turns that we’re heading my way. The author constantly posed questions that I had ...more
Louise Wilson
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darcy has struggled with mental health issues since the death of her husband. When Darcy had a breakdown, her teo boys, Harrison and Kane stayed with her in-laws. The boys eventually go back home when Darcy us feeling stronger. Then Darcy meets George after he saved kane's life. Darcy starts dating George. Things then start to change for Darcy. She feels like she's being watched. But Feorge alsomhas secrets. Is Darcys new perfect life so perfect after all?

This is one roller coaster ride you will
Bharath
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darcy is looking to move on with life. Her two kids are at school, and her in-laws & sister in law are a source of support, though also a little intrusive. One day, Darcy’s son has a bad asthmatic attack and George, a good-looking doctor saves his life. Darcy very quickly finds herself getting to be close to George. There are, however, complications in both their lives as strains from their past relationships casts shadows.

Darcy has a feeling that someone is watching her and the boys all the ti
Natalia  R
Single mom Darcy Hilton is trying to rebuild her life after her husband's unexpected death. When she meets George, a single father, and doctor, she immediately finds herself falling for him. But as their relationship progresses, bizarre things start happening and she becomes convinced that George's ex-girlfriend is stalking her. George doesn't seem very bothered by what's happening to Darcy, leaving her to wonder if she's made a huge mistake by trusting him. This book drew me in right from the f ...more
Sue
SINGLE is the 10th psychological thriller by bestselling author K.L. Slater. I’m a huge fan of this author, and having read six of her novels, I can say that this novel is bound to be well received. Her novels just get better and better. This is a fabulous read, that will reel you in …one line at a time…

The Novels by this Author Include:

Safe With Me -2016 Debut 1st Psychological Thriller
Blink -2017 2nd Psychological Thriller
Liar -2017 3rd Psychological Thriller
The Mistake-2017 4th Psychological
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Finishing Single has literally left me lost for words. I mean how am I supposed to review this story? It has blown my mind. Seriously, obliterated it. It is mind numbingly brilliant. Honestly, if you want twisted, they don’t come more twisted than this.

Darcy was someone I had a lot of empathy for. She has struggled with her mental health due to the death of her husband but wants to move on with her life. Her in laws whilst they come in handy, are a constant thorn in Darcy’s side as it’s obvious
Monnie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be one of the shortest books I've read in a while, but by golly, it's got more twists and surprises in it than one three times its length. That brought another plus: That meant I didn't want to put it down - and I didn't have to!

I'll give the author props for something else; all too often, with female characters in situations like this (more on that later), at least one of them is such a hand-wringing, self-doubting, paranoid person that all I really want to do is smack her upside the h
Chloe
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darcy , a single mom, has a full time job managing her 2 boys.At the park when one of her boys falls from the rope bridge a local doctor off duty George comes to the rescue. George is also a single parent and soon Darcy moves in with him. After moving in though strange things start happening which George blames on his obsessed ex-girlfriend Opal but Darcy starts to wonder if she made a mistake moving in so fast

Single is another great psychological thriller by K.L.Slater.Like her other novels it
Lindsey Gandhi
3.5 star rating.

This story packs quite a serious punch at the end that I did not see coming. That's why I gave it 3.5 star rating. The twists and turns this story takes are wicked!!! (It just takes forever to get to them).

Here was my issue and why I rounded down to 3 stars versus up to 4 stars. For me, the story took too long to get rolling, for the meat of the mystery to be revealed and suck me in as a reader. Now once it was, I had a hard time putting it down. But for me that was the last fou
Kristi
First Sentence:

The day of the hearing, it was mid-July, scorching hot and I’d dressed in jeans and a thick cable-knit sweater with a roll neck.

Single by K.L. Slater is one of those books that I read in one sitting, shaking my head at the absolute terribleness of people, yet loving every minute of this high suspense thriller! This book has more ups and downs than a roller coaster and more twists and turns than a complicated maze! I had no idea who to trust and what ulterior motives each character
M.  [storme reads a lot]
I’m pretty sure it’s rare to say I didn’t enjoy this book at all. There’s high ratings, but I’m just not feeling this book. It’s just not great. The beginning shows Darcy losing her kids and being mentally unstable. But then it’s like it never happened and her life is just fine. The book wants to be like oh hey she’s crazy but it’s only mentioned in one chapter so just pretend it didn’t really happen because it’s just not important. Okay then.

There are no great twists at all. It’s ridiculous. Th
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
It's been a while since I've picked up a K.L. Slater book and I don't know WHY IT TOOK ME SO LONG. This is my third book by her and this one is just as addictive and bat shit as the rest. I mean, if I'M not going to be here for the crazy, who will? You? YOU? Haha - of course you are!

What I especially love is how quick these reads are. You simply want to keep going to figure out what the hell is happening because there's always something going on and nothing is ever what it seems to be. Now, I'm
Andrea Pole
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Single by K.L. Slater is another gripping tale from an author who has very quickly established herself as a must read for me. Fans who are expecting a fast-paced thriller that keeps you guessing through a myriad of twists, turns, and jaw-dropping reveals will not be disappointed.

Darcy is a woman on the brink when she meets dashing surgeon George. Struggling to maintain a relationship with her in-laws following the death of her husband, Joel, Darcy is grappling with her new reality as a single mo
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
A riveting, thought provoking suspense that pushes every one of the reader’s emotional boundaries. The characters are broadly developed and poignant creating the perfect balance within this manipulative narrative. While more avid readers of this genre may pick up on the plot twist early on, Slater throws many curve balls so that the entire experience is worth the read.

Bottom Line: K.L. Slater has done it again. Somehow she weaves together a story-line with characters that seem like the people ne
Robin Loves Reading
Darcy is so very grateful that a stranger came rushing to her aid when her son had an asthma attack. The stranger, who she soon learns is named George, is an esteemed doctor. Meanwhile Darcy's life is not going that great. She eventually begins spending time with George and he ultimately invites her and her son to move in with him and his young daughter.

Beyond her attraction to George, this invitation is a true blessing. For starters, Darcy had a tough past after she lost her husband, even allow
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, K.L. Slater and Bookouture for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

5 stars!

Woah I am officially really dizzy from all those twists and turns in this book! What am amazing read this turned out to be. I absolutely loved this story. At first, I was a bit worried it was going to be quite focused on the romance aspect but like a wave, that came and then went and we were then on the road to a really gripping thriller. There are so many shocks and surprises in
Vicki Willis
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2020, netgalley
What a twisty book this was! I had never read this author before, but I will certainly be reading her in the future. This one had the reader feeling very uncomfortable without knowing who to trust. The characters were tricky and it was hard to predict who to trust. The last 20% got a little too coincidental and was difficult to follow. I had to reread to figure out what was going on. The ending was hard to believe as well. Overall, a fast paced and entertaining book!

• The Better Liar
  • Woman on the Edge
  • The Rival
  • The Man She Married
  • Reckless Girl
  • The Night Caller (Detective Carrie Flynn, #1)
  • Rewind
  • This Little Dark Place
  • The Verdict
  • The Christmas Party
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • Out with the Ex, In with the New
  • Taken to the Grave (Detective Jo Fournier, #2)
  • A Deathly Silence (DCI Helen Lavery #3)
  • The Liar's House (Detective Gina Harte, #4)
  • The Dinner Party
  • Mr. Nobody
Kim is the million-copy bestselling author of twelve psychological crime thrillers. THE APARTMENT, will be published in -April 2020 by Thomas and Mercer and is now available for pre-order.

Kim's titles are also published by Bookouture, Audible and are available in paperback by Sphere in the UK and Grand Central in the USA.

For many years, Kim sent her work out to literary agents and collected an im