Start by marking “Wait, Rest, Pause: Dormancy in Nature” as Want to Read:
Wait, Rest, Pause: Dormancy in Nature

Wait, Rest, Pause: Dormancy in Nature

Captivating photos of animals accompany simple, engaging text to explain dormancy in nature. This highly curricular book teaches young readers about different kinds of dormancy and which animals do what. Featuring creatures like ladybugs, chickadees, squirrels, and even alligators, this book won't put curious kids to sleep!

Published September 3rd 2019 by Millbrook Press ™

Start your review of Wait, Rest, Pause: Dormancy in Nature
Kathryn
I would highly recommend this to anyone embarking on a study of dormancy with young children. It is written with engaging, slightly poetic text that is not overwhelmingly scientific or detailed but provides insight and education. For example,

"If you were a dormant tree, you would...
CHILL,
REST,
PREPARE.
In your limbs,
a sugary liquid would protect you
from freezing inside.
Tiny leaf blankets wrap around your buds.
You would pause.
[next page]
In spring...
DAYS LENGTHEN,
TEMPERATURES RISE,
YOU UNFURL!"

I
Sharon Tyler
Wait, Rest, Pause: Dormancy in Nature by Marcie Flinchum Atkins is a non fiction picturebook. It is full of beautiful photos of animals accompanied by text about dormancy in nature. Featuring creatures like ladybugs, chickadees, squirrels, and even alligators, this book should not put curious kids to sleep!

Wait, Rest, Pause: Dormancy in Nature exceeded my expectation with the images used. The photographs were absolutely wonderful, and worth looking through the book for. I was also very excited
Cynthia Corral
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is a rather charming book, supposedly for young readers, but I think adults would quite like it as well. I mean, who knew ladybugs lived through the winter?? Or that worms knotted themselves up in dormancy? I didn’t.

There are really interesting photographs to look at, and a lulling repetitiveness to the simple words much like Goodnight Moon. The blurb says it won’t put you to sleep, and while I agree the book will hold your attention, a young child reading this before bed could go to sleep
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoyed the simple, picture-book style explanations of how different animals hibernate. It did feel like a little bit of an overload of verbs at times. I liked the big, clear photos in the illustrations!
Tasha
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This nonfiction picture book explores hibernation and other forms of dormancy in cold weather. The book looks not only at animals, but at trees as they enter their own dormant winter period. Ladybugs gather together for warmth and pause until spring. Ground squirrels hibernate, shivering for hours to keep warm. Chickadees slow their hearts and pause on cold nights until the next day. Alligators sink into the mud. Earthworms go dormant during a drought until water returns. Then when water or ...more
Margie
There comes a time when all living things need to seek stillness. For many, daily rest is required. For others, their slumber is on a seasonal cycle. It seems we humans, whose lives seem increasingly at a frantic pace, would do well to take note of the natural world around us. Our overall physical and mental health is directly related to how well we sleep when we sleep.
A pairing of stunning photographs with a rhythmic narrative gives readers an intimate look at the wonders of nature. This second
Jason Muckley
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Wait, Rest, Pause," by Marcie Flinchum Atkins is a cute non-fiction story for kids about the winter and how plants and animals go dormant to survive during the cold months and then spring back to life as the sun returns. The book includes many beautiful pictures of trees, animals, birds and their methods of dormancy to remain alive.

There is an informative glossary for kids at the back of the book regarding the different types of dormancy that different types of plants and animals experience.

I
Martha Meyer
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“For some plants and animals, slowing down is the key to survival. Marcie Flinchum Atkins' gorgeous debut picture book expertly pairs lyrical text with breathtaking photographs to bring dormancy to life. A tree, a squirrel, a chickadee, and a worm are just a few of the organisms spotlighted. By revealing their secrets to surviving snowy winters, chilly nights, and withering droughts, this amazing book invites nature-loving readers to experience the beauty of nature standing still and holding its ...more
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Wait, Rest, Pause by Marcie Flinchum Atkins is a charming little book that teaches kids about dormancy and how different animals (and plants!) handle it. The language is very poetic, and the photos are gorgeous. At the end, each type of dormancy is explained in further detail. There's also a suggested reading section. A great teaching tool for classrooms, or the perfect gift for nature-loving kids.

***Many thanks to Netgalley and Lerner Publishing for providing an egalley in exchange for a fair
Richard Ho
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erin
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find that most nonfiction books for kids are, well, boring. Marcie Flinchum Atkins happily breaks this mold with "Wait, Rest, Pause", her children's book about dormancy in natures. With simple but informative text arranged appealing on the page, she teaches about how everything from chickadees to trees to alligators survive through the winter into spring. My favorite part was the breathtaking photos! A fun book for anyone from toddlers to preschoolers (they won't even realize how much they're ...more
Jenna Grodzicki
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wait, Rest, Pause is a lyrical discovery of how animals and plants survive during extreme cold or drought. While many children might know what hibernation is, this book adds to that process by introducing several kinds of dormancy. The information is presented in a relatable way for elementary aged children. The back matter includes detailed definitions of torpor, diapause, hibernation, brumation, and estivation. The gorgeous photographs paired with the lyrical text make this a must have for any ...more
Cathy Mealey
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marcie Atkins introduces the slow side of Nature's wonder - hibernation and other forms of dormancy. During periods of cold, Atkins reveals how animals, trees and even insects enter winter waiting for the warmth of spring.

Detailed photographs and a broad swath of subject matter enrich this book, highlighted by lyrical language and poetic phrases. Including definitions on types of dormancy and a bibliography for further exploration of the subject, this makes a great resources for classroom,
Reshamad
Beautiful photographs of nature and how nature starts to go "dormant"
What i really liked in this nonfiction picture book is how the author looks at the subject of dormancy as distinct from hibernation. We see a lot of books done around hibernation, but this title adds more than just animals and also includes tress, insects, and not your usual animals like alligators.
Highly recommend for your library shelf! Beautiful photography!
Stephanie Lucianovic
This is a simply wonderful book. It's meditative, informative, and beautiful. I've grown into adulthood not knowing the differences between various dormancies or even which animals did what during that time. This book puts an end to my ignorance in the most lovely way. I can see every elementary school classroom and library benefiting from having multiple copies of this on hand.
Patricia
Read for Librarian Book Group

A picture book about dormancy in plants and animals. The book is illustrated with photos, some of them, like the cover photo, stunning. It also provides simple explanations for different animals slowing down before dormancy using words (wiggle, awake, feast, fly) to show action.
Rachel Green
I loved the concept of this book - teaching students about a particular biological concept. It is well done with high quality photos. This would be great to supplement curriculum. However, the book felt rushed and cluttered to me. I wished there were a few more pages to tell each of the vignettes. I appreciated the glossary and back matter.
Kat Carty
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This non-fiction picture book uses beautiful realistic photos to teach the idea of hibernation to children. It uses few words and the repetition of the action "Pause" would be perfect for a story time.
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You've heard of hibernation, but nature is full of different forms of dormancy! Stunning photos allow readers to stop & pause as the lyrical text informs. Perfect for curious kids and as a curriculum tie-in.
Melody
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We often forget to check out the nonfiction section at the library when selecting books for preschoolers. This is excellent - with big colorful photos, precious little animals, as well as one startling reptile. The text has alliteration and repetition and is just an all around wonderful book.
Robin
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly designed, with striking photographs and spare but informative words and excellent back matter. Great scientifically-specific complement to all the hibernation, etc. books for this age group. Highly recommended for ages 4-7.
Juliana Lee
Beautiful photographs show common and less common plants and animals in natural dormancy. The text is poetic while still providing scientific information. The back matter defines dormancy and related vocabulary.
Teresa
With stunning photos and lyrical text, this is the perfect book to introduce kids to the different states of torpor that nature sometimes undergoes. A valuable addition to any library.
Alice
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 stars I loved the photography, and the information !
This was read via an Inter Library Loan, I think our Library needs this one!
Beautifully done!
Sandy Brehl
It is saying a lot, but the text rises to the remarkable level of the photographic images in this book, both of which are breathtaking and informative.
Michelle Gray
Theme: hibernation/dormancy in nature

Great photos and easily readable for storytime or Preschool STEAM
Danielle
Nonfiction excellence. A concept of natural hibernation in plant, animals, and insects comprehensively shown for young readers understanding. Phenomenal photos and lovely language.
Ann
Amazing photos in this book about nature and dormancy/hibernation.
Shauna Yusko
Hard to get into seasonal books in a place without seasons...
Cheryl