Start by marking “The Practice of Management” as Want to Read:
The Practice of Management

The Practice of Management

A classic since its publication in 1954, The Practice of Management was the first book to look at management as a whole and being a manager as a separate responsibility. The Practice of Management created the discipline of modern management practices. Readable, fundamental, and basic, it remains an essential book for students, aspiring managers, and seasoned professionals.
Published October 3rd 2006 by Harper Business (first published 1954)

Start your review of The Practice of Management
Tomasz
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was written 60 years ago and it feels like most of the Drucker's thoughts are still of the moment. Whats more, in many modern books about management you can notice that authors "discover america" again. For some insights it took decades until they were proved empirically and described wider therefore more commonly used. An example here can be "focusing on strengths and managing weaknesses" which is the key point in "First, break all the rules" book that is based on Gallup research of ...more
grebrim
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So everything people write about manangement was already known 50 years ago. That speaks both for Drucker and against decades of research on the matter. Read this if you're doing something that has remotely to do with management.
Richard
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Most books on management are dull, repetitive, unoriginal, and full of self-promotion. Drucker's book is the original. This is the book to read if you want to learn about management, how it impacts people, how to do it better, and how it can go disastrously wrong.
Shagun Tripathi
At the onset, I take his opportunity to mention that Drucker is, by far my favourite management writer and guru of all times and this book has been an excellent read. The reason is simple: he is direct, incisive in analysis and writes with unparalleled clarity. His erudition is observable in simplicity as opposed to complexity, a feat that his contemporaries will find difficult to achieve (I mention this because I am reading him after Barnard and Simon, both stalwarts of management, but none the ...more
Arun Ramamurthy
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One book that has been what you call as Original. A classic work, to be read by every management student, staff and almost any one in the corporate world. It is interesting that really nothing new has been added to management theory - is what I felt onreading this book first published in 1954.
Nicole
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
While the specific examples are sometimes quaintly outdated, the general themes are still relevant.

And what would Drucker, supporter of writing and oration college courses, say about business school requirements today?
Hongsno2522
Jan 31, 2008 is currently reading it
It's really a great book.
Susie
Jan 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Yes, yes, Drucker is brilliant and a management classic, but this book was drier than a sawdust sandwich and made me want to clean out my refrigerator in procrastination.
Heather
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
As IF I actually read this. Last week of grad school classes. :throws hands up: I skimmed enough to write my paper. #senioritis
Iain Hamill
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
To some extent a product of its time with the emphasis on the scientific management styles dominant in post-war America, but also directly applicable to management today, as Drucker highlights again and again how central human character is and how little that has changed since time began.

It was good to see the development and original context of his seminal “management by objectives” theory but I also really appreciated the closing chapters on the challenges and opportunities of the future.

The
Peter Krol
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Much of this book was way over my head. But a few sections were astoundingly pertinent and helpful.
Usman Bashir
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wolfb
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great
Elliard Shimaala
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The caption on one of the monthly magazines I subscribe to reads as follows, “tons of useful stuff” and the same is true about this book. I have read several books on management but none have put the subject in a clear perspective as one.

In the only you would expect him to, Drucker explores the concept of management is and how topractice it in this classic. I have now realised that management and managing are not the same things. I have also learned the role of manager and how what he does
Khalid Sulami
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
Here're my take-aways: Take-Aways

- The rise of management as an organizational discipline arguably is the most important business development of the 20th century.
- Large, complex organizations ultimately will fail without professional management.
- Management principles went into creating post-World War II’s Marshall Plan.
- Professional managers aid in planning and developing their firms’ basic missions.
- They set objectives for employees, organize processes, communicate important information,
Vivian
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, I read this book because it is one of my class assignment. As my professor said "Wrote by Father of Management, this book change the Management concept at the current time", yes it did, but that's 60 years ago. Honestly I don't find it interesting as a leisure book nor informative as a text book.
Casey Cobb
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
This book is packed densely with business and life wisdom. I read it many years ago, but a decade (and several companies) later, I appreciated it so much more this time around. Drucker was such a prescient thinker. Anyone who is going places should read this book; it will expedite your journey.
Cheryl Petersen
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I read this book for class at the Drucker School Of Management and its importance can not be underemphasized. This book is the foundation of the good practice of management. Anyone at any time in their career should read - it is well organized and clear and full of useful concepts!
Robert Snow
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had a Professor in College and preached Drucker to us. He would say if you want to know how run and understand a business read Drucker. He is Brilliant and years from now he will be the known as the Father of Management.
Mario
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Drucker is the most influential thinker in management, in this book You are not only going to find good management insights but mostly you Are going to find best insights for bussiness
ömer Akgül
to devalope induvidual skills
I have to improve mine about business mamagement
Mike
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book. Lots of great insight, but it can be repetitive and scattered. More thorough than "Effective Executive", but also not as concise or clear. I am a clear Drucker fan.
Eben Tonder
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
ive learned as much about management as i did about life!!!! read only one book on the subject - this is it!!!!!
Liz Skelton
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't like his writing style but found his theories still pretty relevant today.
David
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book on cassette tape fom the Columbus Library

ISBN 1559942789
Kenneth Stem
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent view of what management should be. Even more relevant for today even though written more than 50 years ago.
Dwight Walker
Basic management book for Management By Objectives style.
Solomon Walker
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
an awesome book! Have listened to, and read it for more than twnety years. Contains principles and ideas that are as fresh as a moment ago.
Alice_chen316
Jul 16, 2009 marked it as to-read
fantastic
Jack
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read most of his work and those works are the basis for most management studies published since.
major changes shaking an organisation's dynamic business environment 1 3 Sep 26, 2013 02:21AM
Drucker Lives On! 1 9 Oct 13, 2008 03:47PM

• Out of the Crisis
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • High Output Management
  • The Future of Management
  • Against the Odds: An Autobiography
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Business Model Generation
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Business Law
  • The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only ...more
“True, the number of functional managers should always be kept at a minimum, and there should be the largest possible number of ‘general’ managers who manage an integrated business and are directly responsible for its performance and results. Even with the utmost application of this principle the great bulk of managers will remain in functional jobs, however. This is particularly true of the younger people. A” 0 likes
“Planning and doing are separate parts of the same job; they are not separate jobs. There is no work that can be performed effectively unless it contains elements of both. One” 0 likes