Start by marking “Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me” as Want to Read:
Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me

Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me

This story literally unfolds as pages open dramatically, extending both outward and upward. Monica wants the moon to play with, so her Papa sets out to get it for her. It isn't easy to climb all the way to the moon, but he finally succeeds--only to find that the moon is too big to carry home! The way the problem is resolved is a joyful surprise. Illustrated.
Hardcover, Miniature Edition, 40 pages
Published August 20th 1991 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 26th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me

Start your review of Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful tale of a father who will do anything for his daughter.
Rob
Nov 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: little spoiled brats that have everything except a grasp of logical, natural consequences
Shelves: with-holden
What kind of message was Eric Carle sending here? The "Papa" in this story is a hopeless push-over -- the way that little girl bosses him around! Going for whimsy and fantasy is one thing but this little brat has done nothing to earn the heroic feat that her father performs. And then she acts all surprised when the waning moon disappears? She looked old enough to have put together the pieces of lunar dynamics on her own.

I will say this though: the way the pages fold out is extra crea
Bookishrealm
Absolutely loved. I mean it was great and gave me the feel of wanting to read it every night before I went to bed. Eric Carle is a genius in his own right. The artwork and the storyline proved to be truly captivating.
John
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I like this book because Papa gets the moon for a little child who plays with it and it (spoiler alert) disappears. She says "where did the moon go?" and it's in the sky. There's lots of flaps: some go in, some go out, some go north, some go south, some even go east.
Elissa Still
Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me is about a young girl named Monica who loves the moon. She tries to reach the moon but she can quite make it, and so she asks her father to get the moon for her. The reading level of this book is kindergarten through 2nd grade.

Comments/observations: This book, like many of Carle’s other ingenious books, has an interactive element and the pages literally fold out and pop up as the reader goes through the story. This book is heartwarming as it shows a fathers love in unconditional. Thi
Jason
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sure, it sets impossible standards for myself as a father whose limits are planted firmly within reality. And sure, it plays fast and loose with the laws of physics. But my two-year-old loves it, from the angular paintings to the fold-out pages, from the daddy and daughter to the moon and stars. And isn't that all that really matters?
Kaia Calhoun
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the illustrations and the story!
Rebecca
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
sigh
J
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool book. I read it to some preschoolers and their parents. They seemed to like it.
Michelle Lee
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how some of the pages fold out for the larger illustrations.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
First, my Kindergarten students all enjoyed how each page folded a different way. Secondly, I loved how papa was willing to climb all the way to the moon for his daughter.
Tory
Fun fold outs augment the simple story. Also some nice simple astronomy.
Alexis Espinosa
Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me is a picture book that has pages that unfold the story as readers turn each page. The main character Monica wants the moon to play with her so she asks her papa to get the moon for her. The moon is high but he gets it, the only problem is that it is too big for him to bring it home.

Comments/observations: My emotional readers response was that the interactive illustrations engaged the readers and overall made the book more interesting. The story was good and the theme was famil/>
Andrew Swanson
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I remember “reading” this book as a child on VHS, on the “Very Hungry Caterpillar & Other Stories” tape that my mom got me as a kid (which also included the “Very Quiet Cricket.”) This was my first time experiencing the book in book form as opposed to animated film form. It was an interesting experience.

The little girl in the narrative asks her father to get the moon for her, since she is too short and can’t reach it, but she wants to play with it. Her father fetches a very long
Amy Clinton
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 642
"Papa, please get the moon for me" is about a little girl who wants to play with the moon. Her father tries to climb up to it and bring it down, but it is too large. The moon tells him that he gets smaller each night, so they waited until he was small enough to bring home and play with. The little girl played with the moon until it dissappeared. It then reappeared in the sky the next night.

This is a really cute toy picture book that allows the reader to dream big. The illustrations were made by
Shauna Walters
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t-l-307
This book is about a young girl who asks her father to get the moon so she can play with it. Once the father got it for his daughter and she had it in her possession, it gets smaller and smaller until it disappears. Soon though one night a sliver of the moon reappears and every night gets bigger again. There are a few themes in this book that are great for young readers to see. First, it is about love and demonstrates a father’s love for his daughter, and how he would try to do anything for her. ...more
Kristen
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this for my hubby for Father's Day. Since my daughter was born, I get him a daddy book every year for Father's Day and sign it with my daughter's name (and now the 2nd one we're expecting!). I was especially excited about this one because it's a daddy and daughter book, and it's Eric Carle. I love his books and illustrations.

This is a sweet book showing the lengths that a dad will go to for his daughter. It also shows the stages of the moon. This book has pages that pull out to
Sylvia
Okay, I first need to say that the standard placed on parents from this book is impossible.
Now, the way I see this book is that it has two lessons to share. First lesson is to the parents to not get pushed over and bullied by their children no matter how much they want to give them the moon, the world, everything. The second lesson is to the children. No matter how much you want something, be happy with what your parents do for you to have what you do have.
Natalie Pietro
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a clever little book. Eric Carle author of The Very Hungry Caterillar put together another wonderful book to not only delight my son but I as well. I love his timeless artwork. The blue/green skies are magical. He too put a lot of imagination not only in the story but how the pages unfolded before your eyes. This is a very fun read and just the purfect size for my little guy.
Shane
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story portraying the love a father has for his child, and the great lengths (no matter how it seems impossible) he'd go to get whatever it is she needs. The illustrations are quite lovely as well. Nice work, Eric Carle.
Cierra Tigard
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think, although "unrealistic" it shows how much curiosity children have for the stars in the sky, and how they don't really understand how small they are. This is a book that can be used as a gateway to explain simple astronomy concepts.
Tam
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tch_lrn-544
As a lover of books written by Eric Carle, this work shows a love between a father and his daughter. I appreciated the how giving the moon was to the father to share a bit of himself to the child to enjoy the moon for what it is. Another touching book written and illustrated by a great author.
Erik
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-children
The resolution of the story is clever and the foldout pages are really well designed. Carle's art on top of that is a nice bonus.
Meghan
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-my-son
Sweet story, with soothing illustrations. Great bedtime book.
Breon Randon
Another beautiful masterpiece. Adding another one to the pile of happy storytime memories with my girl.
Bobbie
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
One of my grandson's favorites. Very cute.
Amy-Lynn
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of John's favorites that he liked to read to the girls.
Daniel Woolf
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great book, imaginative and happy feel
Adassa Delgado
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 out of 5

The only reason a student would be engaged to this reading is because of the cool gimmicks the pages it has. I don’t think younger kids would truly embrace this book, for they do not understand the phases of the moon, but I enjoyed how the foundation of the story incorporated a real, scientific element of life. I think the paintings in the book are charming. My three-year-old brother did think the night sky was actually a sky with pouring rain, but I think he just assumed s
Candy | Evianrei
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Grabbed this book for my husband to read to our 2 month old son. It has gorgeous illustrations, I love how the sky is painted! Our son likes the pictures, lots of deep blue colors for him to look at. The story is funny and interesting too. The only problem I have with this book is that it is inconvenient. Normally Eric Carle books are relatively easy to operate (books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Have You Seen My Cat?). This book however is difficult to hold while opening the extended pages, and the large pictur ...more
Jual sawit di pamingke.alamat penjual sawit di kota pamingke. Ulol 1 1 Sep 08, 2019 04:57AM

• On the Day You Were Born
  • The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
  • Belly Button Book
  • The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses
  • Penguinaut!
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
  • Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)
  • Mouse Paint
  • My Many Colored Days
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more