Jump to ratings and reviews

Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me

This story literally unfolds as pages open dramatically, extending both outward and upward. Monica wants the moon to play with, so her Papa sets out to get it for her. It isn't easy to climb all the way to the moon, but he finally succeeds--only to find that the moon is too big to carry home! The way the problem is resolved is a joyful surprise. Illustrated.

40 pages, Hardcover

First published September 26, 1986

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Eric Carle

555 books1,899 followers
Eric Carle was a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around the world.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 333 reviews
Profile Image for Rob.
Author 2 books364 followers
November 6, 2008
What kind of message was Eric Carle sending here? The "Papa" in this story is a hopeless push-over -- the way that little girl bosses him around! Going for whimsy and fantasy is one thing but this little brat has done nothing to earn the heroic feat that her father performs. And then she acts all surprised when the waning moon disappears? She looked old enough to have put together the pieces of lunar dynamics on her own.

I will say this though: the way the pages fold out is extra creative. For that: ★★★★★
Profile Image for Bookishrealm.
1,781 reviews4,503 followers
September 12, 2016
Absolutely loved. I mean it was great and gave me the feel of wanting to read it every night before I went to bed. Eric Carle is a genius in his own right. The artwork and the storyline proved to be truly captivating.
Profile Image for Daughter of Paper and Stone.
394 reviews34 followers
October 1, 2022
Preface

Father goes to the moon and back for his daughter. Have grown up with a father like that made this book even more touching than if it had just been a tale. I just wished she would have said thank you. It’s so easy taking our parents for granted.

————————————————————————————

4.5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫
Profile Image for Jason.
117 reviews1 follower
August 29, 2012
Sure, it sets impossible standards for myself as a father whose limits are planted firmly within reality. And sure, it plays fast and loose with the laws of physics. But my two-year-old loves it, from the angular paintings to the fold-out pages, from the daddy and daughter to the moon and stars. And isn't that all that really matters?
50 reviews1 follower
May 3, 2015
Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me is about a young girl named Monica who loves the moon. She tries to reach the moon but she can quite make it, and so she asks her father to get the moon for her. The reading level of this book is kindergarten through 2nd grade.

Comments/observations: This book, like many of Carle’s other ingenious books, has an interactive element and the pages literally fold out and pop up as the reader goes through the story. This book is heartwarming as it shows a fathers love in unconditional. This book is also unique because it seamlessly introduces the lunar cycle to young readers. The main topic within this book is the lunar cycle.

Using this book in the classroom: After reading this book out loud to the class we would discuss the lunar cycle and I would start by asking the class if anyone knew any of the phases. Then I would have students come up to the board and draw what they think each phase looks like, and then draw the actual phase so that they could compare and contrast.

Carle, E. (1986). Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me. New York, NY. Simon Schuster Books.
41 reviews
June 12, 2017
I think, although "unrealistic" it shows how much curiosity children have for the stars in the sky, and how they don't really understand how small they are. This is a book that can be used as a gateway to explain simple astronomy concepts.
Profile Image for Shane.
Author 28 books657 followers
August 26, 2017
Cute story portraying the love a father has for his child, and the great lengths (no matter how it seems impossible) he'd go to get whatever it is she needs. The illustrations are quite lovely as well. Nice work, Eric Carle.
Profile Image for John.
750 reviews
November 2, 2018
I like this book because Papa gets the moon for a little child who plays with it and it (spoiler alert) disappears. She says "where did the moon go?" and it's in the sky. There's lots of flaps: some go in, some go out, some go north, some go south, some even go east.
Profile Image for A.M..
141 reviews5 followers
January 7, 2023
it's a pretty book and the message about the father who loves his child dearly that he can do anything whatever she wishes is quite admirable. but i was left hanging. i just expected more.
Profile Image for Joan.
2,477 reviews25 followers
March 22, 2020
Monica looked out her bedroom window and wished she could play with the moon, so she asked her father to get the moon for her.

Papa gets a v-e-r-y l-o-n-g ladder [a double page fold-out], and carries it toward a v-e-r-y h-i-g-h mountain.

Papa puts the v-e-r-y l-o-n-g ladder on top of the v-e-r-y h-i-g-h mountain [a single page fold-up], and climbs up and up and up.

Finally Papa reaches the moon [a double page fold-up and fold-down] and tells the moon that Monica wants to play with him, but he is too big. The moon tells Papa that he gets a little smaller every night and when he is small enough, Papa can take him to Monica.

Every night the moon gets smaller and smaller, and when he is just the right size, Papa takes him, climbs down the ladder [a single page fold-down], and takes the moon to Monica.

Monica is excited. She jumps and dances with the moon; she hugs the moon and throws it into the air. But the moon keeps getting smaller and smaller until it disappears. Then one night, a sliver of moon appears in the night sky. Each night, it grows . . . and grows . . . and grows.

Young readers will find much to appreciate in this delightful picture book. Vibrant colors, fold-out pages, and a fun-filled narrative all work together to show the waxing and waning of the moon wrapped around a charming story of a father’s great love for his child. The simple text will encourage beginning readers; the touching tale is sure to be read again and again.

Highly recommended.

Profile Image for Alexis Espinosa.
50 reviews2 followers
May 3, 2015
Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me is a picture book that has pages that unfold the story as readers turn each page. The main character Monica wants the moon to play with her so she asks her papa to get the moon for her. The moon is high but he gets it, the only problem is that it is too big for him to bring it home.

Comments/observations: My emotional readers response was that the interactive illustrations engaged the readers and overall made the book more interesting. The story was good and the theme was family, the solar system, perseverance, and determination. The reading level for this book is kindergarten to third grade.

How I can use this book in a classroom: I would use this book as a class activity where I divide the class into four groups. Each ground has a job whether it be painting, cutting, or putting stuff together. And as a class we will make the cover of this book using Eric Carle's illustration style. Another idea is for students to research the moon and its phases, how big it is, and what it consists of. I could even use this book for a play or for kids to act out the story and in that we would learn about all elements of the story including literary elements. I think this would teach teamwork.

23 reviews
February 26, 2020
Author: Eric Carle
Illustrator: Eric Carle
Genre: Picture Book, Interactive
Awards: ILA/CBC Children's Choices
Audience: Pre-school – 3rd

Monica desperately wants to play with the moon, but she can’t quite seem to reach it. Her father waits until the moon is small and then uses a ladder to reach the moon and bring it to her. This is a sweet story about a father who will do anything for his daughter that can also be used to teach children about the phases of the moon.

A. This is an interactive picture book because it is full of flaps that extend beyond the confines of the cover. Scenes of the father on the ladder reaching for the moon open vertically, while scenes of the moon at its full size open as a square.
B. The art medium of the book is very interesting. The illustrator appears to use both oil painting and watercolor to tell the story of the little girl and her father. Combining these art mediums give the book a very structured yet whimsical feel.
C. I would use this book with children to teach them about the different phases of the moon. The underlying premise of the book is that the moon changes shapes. Monica can only hold the moon when it is small, but it soon gets so small it disappears. After it disappears it reappears in the sky and grows to be a full moon again.
80 reviews
November 3, 2020
We always say that fathers will go above and beyond for their children. Well, in this book, this phrase is definitely expressed in the story. A young girl happens to notice the moon and tries to reach for it, but it is too far away. So, she asked her Papa, "Papa, please get the moon for me?" Her father grabbed the tallest ladder he can find, and set it up on top of a very large mountain, then climbed ALL the way up just to reach the moon. Once he got there, he told the moon that his daughter wanted to play with the moon. Unfortunately, the moon was too big to take home; but the moon told papa that he can wait until she gets smaller. Once the moon got smaller, papa grabbed the moon and gave it to his daughter. Monica was so happy and jumping in joy, but she realized that it was still getting smaller and smaller, until it eventually disappeared into thin air. The next day she noticed the moon in the sky and it was growing and growing. This is such a fascinating and adorable book that proves that fathers will always try to go above and beyond for their children. Papas make the world turn!
Profile Image for Amy Clinton.
46 reviews1 follower
September 19, 2013
"Papa, please get the moon for me" is about a little girl who wants to play with the moon. Her father tries to climb up to it and bring it down, but it is too large. The moon tells him that he gets smaller each night, so they waited until he was small enough to bring home and play with. The little girl played with the moon until it dissappeared. It then reappeared in the sky the next night.

This is a really cute toy picture book that allows the reader to dream big. The illustrations were made by paintings and are very vibrant in color. The cover of the story is a picture of the moon (which has a little face) and a ladder reaching up to it. It relates to the story because the girls father had to use a really long ladder to reach the moon, so it ties in well.

This would be a good story to use in the classroom if you are working on the phases of the moon. Although you can not really pull the moon from the sky, you are able to see that the moon's appearance changes over time. It can work well from preschool to 1st grade.
Profile Image for Andrew Swanson.
139 reviews3 followers
December 3, 2013
I remember “reading” this book as a child on VHS, on the “Very Hungry Caterpillar & Other Stories” tape that my mom got me as a kid (which also included the “Very Quiet Cricket.”) This was my first time experiencing the book in book form as opposed to animated film form. It was an interesting experience.

The little girl in the narrative asks her father to get the moon for her, since she is too short and can’t reach it, but she wants to play with it. Her father fetches a very long ladder, climbs a very high mountain, and leans the ladder against the moon. However, once he gets to the top, the moon is too full for him to get it for her, so he waits until the moon’s just a small crescent. Eventually the girl plays with it until the moon disappears, finally becoming “new,” and reappearing in the sky.

Ignoring the father’s obvious idiocy regarding being up miles above the ground and then trying to grab the thing that’s keeping him from falling to his death, this book is a great way to introduce kids to the cycle of the moon.
55 reviews1 follower
April 13, 2015
This book is about a young girl who asks her father to get the moon so she can play with it. Once the father got it for his daughter and she had it in her possession, it gets smaller and smaller until it disappears. Soon though one night a sliver of the moon reappears and every night gets bigger again. There are a few themes in this book that are great for young readers to see. First, it is about love and demonstrates a father’s love for his daughter, and how he would try to do anything for her. It also though explains the stages of the moon. It explained how at certain times in a month there are full moons, crescent moons, and so on. The orbits of the sun and moon can be used with this book as well. I liked this book because it has a lesson about moons in it, and I even learned ways to understand the different stages of the moon.
Profile Image for Kristen.
833 reviews
June 23, 2017
I got this for my hubby for Father's Day. Since my daughter was born, I get him a daddy book every year for Father's Day and sign it with my daughter's name (and now the 2nd one we're expecting!). I was especially excited about this one because it's a daddy and daughter book, and it's Eric Carle. I love his books and illustrations.

This is a sweet book showing the lengths that a dad will go to for his daughter. It also shows the stages of the moon. This book has pages that pull out to get big and then one big pop up in the middle of the book for when the moon is full. It was very well done and my daughter really enjoyed reading it with her daddy. The only thing I have to say is that it felt like the book added a little abruptly. Otherwise I loved it.
Profile Image for Nadia  | Ngan TRAN.
365 reviews33 followers
November 7, 2020
This book is truly beautiful. It's about a little who wants to get the moon to play with her and her father had help her wish came true. Although after that the moon disappeared, it re-appear once again in the sky.
In my opinion, the style of drawing is a little bit odd, maybe a down grade to this book. But overall I love the idea and the storyline. I was touched how big the love the father has for his daughter so that he could try everything to get the moon for her. Furthermore, the story also told the story of the circle life of the moon, which is kinda fascinating with that easy explanation.
Profile Image for Sylvia.
139 reviews25 followers
February 14, 2015
Okay, I first need to say that the standard placed on parents from this book is impossible.
Now, the way I see this book is that it has two lessons to share. First lesson is to the parents to not get pushed over and bullied by their children no matter how much they want to give them the moon, the world, everything. The second lesson is to the children. No matter how much you want something, be happy with what your parents do for you to have what you do have.
Profile Image for Natalie Pietro.
334 reviews53 followers
January 13, 2012
What a clever little book. Eric Carle author of The Very Hungry Caterillar put together another wonderful book to not only delight my son but I as well. I love his timeless artwork. The blue/green skies are magical. He too put a lot of imagination not only in the story but how the pages unfolded before your eyes. This is a very fun read and just the purfect size for my little guy.
Profile Image for Tam Bush.
51 reviews
October 21, 2017
As a lover of books written by Eric Carle, this work shows a love between a father and his daughter. I appreciated the how giving the moon was to the father to share a bit of himself to the child to enjoy the moon for what it is. Another touching book written and illustrated by a great author.
Profile Image for Sean Harding.
3,256 reviews20 followers
January 6, 2020
Somewhat inventive tale by Carle with his glorious illustrations. Is it all symbolic or just an inventive fantastic tale to supplement the illustrations. Who knows? - but it is worth the price of admission and will be loved by kids of all ages.
1,022 reviews116 followers
November 4, 2020
3.5/5

This is a children’s picture book about a little girl who begs her father to get the moon for her so she can play with it, but unfortunately the moon is too big, so he must wait until it gets smaller to capture it for her.
Profile Image for Lynn.
3,171 reviews54 followers
November 15, 2021
I’m crazy about Eric Carle and love this book. A father tries to get the moon for his daughter. Lovely.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 333 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.