Start by marking “Raffles: Further Adventures of the Amateur Cracksman” as Want to Read:
Raffles: Further Adventures of the Amateur Cracksman

Raffles: Further Adventures of the Amateur Cracksman (A.J. Raffles, The Gentleman Thief #2)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  274 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Raffles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raffles

Daniel
Dec 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Rose
"Raffles: Further Adventures of the Amateur Cracksman" is even more enjoyable than its predecessor, "The Amateur Cracksman." E.W. Hornung, having already established the characters of gentleman thief A.J. Raffles and accomplice-chronicler Bunny in the first book, is freed up to have more fun with his creations and allow them to embark on adventures that aren't all strictly criminal in nature.

In "Further Adventures," Hornung departs somewhat from the writing style of his brother-in-law, Arthur Co
Jim Dooley
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Raffles, the amateur cracksman, is back from a supposed watery grave to continue entertaining us with Further Adventures … and they are quite good. Anyone missing quiet evenings reading the exploits of Sherlock Holmes should find these tales to be a most fulfilling substitute. The relationship between Raffles and Bunny is so reminiscent of Holmes and Watson. There are disguises, hair-breath escapes, villainous antagonists, and a sense of location that constantly seemed very comfortable.

The set o
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-pulp
I say, Raffles is starting to grow on me, what? This one is quite well written, has more depth and is more about Bunny and their ridiculous and juvenile relationship - is even a little moving despite the faintly (?!) ludicrous plot. Onward chaps.
Okuta Otherside
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the 2nd book of Raffles series and i love it so much! Raffles and Bunny characters and relationship just remind me with how Sherlock Holmes and Watson interacting with each other. Raffles and Bunny characters are so lovable, you can't hate them even though they are thieves. But what makes me a bit disappointed is the ending. It's a cliffhanger again! Just like the first book! So i need to read the next book to know what really happen with Raffles and Bunny.
Nina
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
4*!
Yes, it's surprisingly good and I really am surprised.
Charles A Phillips
Raffles need more of these..

Enjoyed this book . I seem to be ahead of the story usually as it goes I would like to have something with a little more Mystery
June
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gentleman thieves! Victorian London! Pea-soupers! Angst! Excellent opportunities for a queer analysis! What more could you want?

Heartily recommended for lovers of Victorian literature or people who liked the Sherlock Holmes books - which were of course a major source of inspiration for Raffles. That's not actually to say that Hornung's stories read much like Doyle's. For one thing, I consider him a much stronger prose stylist (I'm a huge Holmes nerd, so this is a faintly sacrilegious thing to s
Dave H
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed the first collection of Hornung’s AJ Raffles stories, I decided to embark on this second volume of adventures. Much like Holmes’ resurrection following his tumble at the Reichenbach Falls, Raffles ‘The Gentleman Thief’ returns from the dead to once again purloin diamonds and tiaras from London’s great and good.

There is a great charm to these Edwardian stories. The peril is usually of the mild sort (apart from when the dastardly Italians become involved) and Raffles is an honourab
Hobby
Kelanjutan kisah petualangan 'gentleman-thief' Raffles yang diduga tewas dalam buku pertama, ternyata muncul kembali dalam penyamaran sebagai sosok pria tua-renta dan lumpuh, mengejutkan sahabatnya Harry 'Bunny' Manders (yang menjalani hukuman penjara akibat perbuatan si Raffles).
Secara keseluruhan, kumpulan cerita pendek dalam kisah ini lebih menarik dibandingkan buku pertama, dan membuat semakin 'gregetan' adalah ending kisah ini yang benar-benar surprise (again)

more about this book, just che
Chris
Feb 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this book. After reading and enjoying the first book of short stories, I was eager to read this collection as well. This book was a disappointment. It was confusing and a struggle to read. I much prefer the previous book with Raffles and Bunny as younger characters involved in college and cricket. Not as old men!
In short, it just didn't work for me this time and I had to put it down.
Quiver
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-english
This is the second book of the adventures of AJ Raffles, the Amateur Cracksman, and his companion in crime and chronicler "Bunny". The stories and involvement of the characters is slightly more complex than in the first book, but Bunny's naivety is unbelievable and in too great a contrast to Raffles' ingenuity and cleverness.
Ms_prue
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if I would be capable of appreciating these books so much if I hadn't already read lots of the Sherlock Holmes stories. But I don't care so much for detectives any more as I care for gentlemen thieves.
Om Adhit
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rak-buku
Saya tercengang saat membaca ending buku ini. E.W.Hornung menamatkan seri Raffles dengan sangat indah menurut saya.

Selain itu didalamnya berisi cerita2 yg lebih seru dari buku pertama, jika Anda sudah mempunyai yg pertama sangat disarankan untuk membeli buku pamungkas seri Raffles ini.
Gwen
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book. It was written in 1901 , set in Edwardian England so was something different than my usual choices in books but I enjoyed the characters of Bunny and Rafffles and their adventures.
Terri
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
And to think I was upset about the ending of the first book...
Knut Sigurd
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, gutenberg
Om A J Raffles er ein gentlemannstjuv er han neimen ikkje mykje av ein gentleman mot kompanjongen Bunny.
Timothy Ferguson
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Subtle, funny and engaging

Not quite a "caper" book. Raffles is an action hero who is too much a gentleman to break a sweat.

Steven Vaughan-Nichols
The stories of are Victorian burglar are good, but the author's need to keep condemning our hero for his crimes, gets old.
cindy
Sedikiiiiit lebih bagus dari buku sebelumnya, tapi tetap saja, tokoh Raffles tidak ada apa-apanya dibanding Lupin atau bahkan Kaito Kid-nya Conan :p
Sabrina
Mar 24, 2017
Kalynda
Apr 09, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime: Forgotten Cops and Private Eyes from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Haunted Hotel & Other Stories
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Will of the Dead
  • Marie: An Episode in the Life of the Late Allan Quatermain
  • L'île aux trente cercueils
  • Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • The Ghost-seer
  • Adam Robots
  • With Her in Ourland: Sequel to Herland
  • The Three Musketeers: Illustrated Young Readers' Edition
  • Dua Belas Pasang Mata
  • The Moriarty Papers: The Schemes and Adventures of the Great Nemesis of Sherlock Holmes
Ernest William Hornung known as Willie, was an English author, most famous for writing the Raffles series of novels about a gentleman thief in late Victorian London.

In addition to his novels and short stories Hornung wrote some war verse, and a play based on the Raffles stories was produced successfully. He was much interested in cricket, and was "a man of large and generous nature, a delightful c
More about E.W. Hornung...

A.J. Raffles, The Gentleman Thief (4 books)
  • Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (A.J. Raffles, The Gentleman Thief #1)
  • A Thief in the Night