Start by marking “The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)” as Want to Read:
The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  417 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
"The Klingon Empire is dying...and I think it deserves to die." With those words, Lieutenant Ezri Dax propelled Lieutenant Commander Worf to the most fateful decision of his life -- to vanquish Klingon leader Gowron in honorable combat and install in his place a low-born, one-eyed soldier of the empire who might lead their people back to the path of honor.

Under the weighty
Published April 1st 2003 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published March 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Left Hand of Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Left Hand of Destiny

William Galaini
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer #1: Star Trek… exists in its own continuum of quality. Some might say a particular work of Star Trek might be ‘poor’ by most standards yet ‘good’ by the standards of Star Trek. The opposite can be said as well, in that the new Star Trek reboot films are ‘good’ by most standards and yet poor by Star Trek standards.

Disclaimer #2: I have met one of these authors personally, and I delighted in their company. I have reviewed authors I know previously, and I do my best to be honest.

Deep Spa
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great Klingon centred story- interested in where book 2 goes
Elen
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Look I just love Worf so dang much.
Kathy
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Left Hand of Destiny Book One by J.G. Hertzler and Jeffery Lang was a fantastic book if you love Klingons. The book is well balanced between action, plot, and character depth.

I’m unapologetic lover of Klingons. When I went to the Vancouver Star Trek Convention, the thing I was looking forward to the Breakfast with the Klingons the most. While on the outside I was all calm, on the inside the little girl in me would have thrown my autograph book on my head with glee just as my sister did when
Diogenes
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"No warrior can defeat destiny."

I needed a reprieve from the hard nonfiction I've been engaged with, saw this on Oyster, and promptly pounced upon it.

I used to read sci-fi and fantasy a lot when I was younger, in the '80s and '90s, but after Iraq, I lost my innocence of imagination to the harsh hell of reality, and began to dissect the world, history, and human behavior for what it truly is. That said, I was (and will always be) a huge fan of Star Trek's Deep Space Nine series, which was THE St
Gabrielle
Feb 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ugh, I wanted to like this, and in fairness it did get me through several rough hours on a flight, but it was pretty bad. I picked it up to finish it, read a ridiculous Gothmara scene and just thought "you know, I think I'll pass." Like can't a lady Klingon bio-engineer enact her evil plans without relying on seduction? So boring. None of the characters voices seemed quite right (even Martok, sadly).
Joseph Masiello
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have the entire Deep Space 9 series a couple of times. It was by far my favorite series out of all that Star Trek has offered. It was gritty, dark, and not afraid to show the horrible side of the future. DeepSpace Nine also gave us a larger look at Klingon culture that The Next Generation had set up. Word and Martok were two of my favorite characters in the series. So to read a book that expands on what happens to them after the events of DS9's finale was a no brainer. I had to read it.

The Lef
Tina
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another relaunch book I started initially disappointed, because it doesn't pick up where Mission Gamma left off (on quite a cliffhanger!). This book takes place right after the series ends, and shows what's going on in the Klingon empire.

My disappointment was short-lived, though. This book does a wonderful job of getting into Martok's head. He's shown to be a complex individual, still reeling after the traumatic events he suffered during the series, and who has his own doubts and flaws. That see
Greg
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
i read this book on release (ie: many years ago) and loved it.
David Agranoff
Taking place right after the events of the last episode of Deep space nine, this novel follows Worf and the newly appointed General/Chancellor Martok back to the Klingon home world after the end of the Dominion War.

Before they can beam down to celebrate with gallons of blood wine a rebel blows up the hall of warriors and another Klingon civil war that breaks out suddenly.

Pretty neat that this novel is co-written by the actor who played Martok. Andrew Robinson(Also the serial killer in dirty har
Dan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ds9, star-trek
When I first read the DS9 relaunch novels back in the early 2000s, I recall The Left Hand of Destiny as one of the highlights. Upon re-reading, the story did not disappoint. This epic, sweeping tale of the challenges faced by Chancellor Martok shortly after the end of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is a wonderful adventure, full of incredible action, great character moments, and the sort of grand storytelling one might expect in a cinematic Shakespearean drama. The story itself is incredibly well-wr ...more
Derek Oberg
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This one was okay. It started out as kinda a clunker for me, but once I got into it I enjoyed it more.

My biggest problem with the book is that I don't really think Klingons work well as the main characters without including a more culturally familiar human society like the Federation for balance.

I love Klingons as much as the next Star Trek fan. Indeed, it wouldn't be complete without them. But it's even further from complete without Starfleet.

Hertzler did okay, but as far as actors writing the
Trev
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
A very average book in my opinion. It had good things going for it, a look into a Klingon psyche (other than Worf) for example. It is also good to see more of the workings of the Empire, something surprisingly left unexplored after the TNG episodes.
Against it there isn't much, there are a few moments which leave you thinking "Well, how did that happen" or "I can't see that character doing that" but overall there is nothing utterly terrible about this book.
In summary, a competent but unspectacula
alix
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Slow in parts but the twist was soooooo good! I don't know why so many key plot points were so surprising to me but I was really stoked. I love the idea of actors writing books based on their characters; after all, who knows them better? And I definitely slogged my way through some of the Klingon episodes of both TNG and DS9 but underneath it all I really love Worf (and Martok) (especially bc of Purgatory's Shadow/Inferno's Light).
Jaye
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Everything I've read lately has been so heavy that I thought I'd lighten my load with a Star Trek novel. I enjoyed watching J.G. Hertzler on DS9, so I thought this would be a good one to try. It was a quick read, and I did enjoy it, but it's got one of the darkest storylines I can remember reading in a Trek novel.
Angela
Martok and Worf go back to the Klingon home world after the Dominion war. Major problem, there's a violent coup to overthrow Martok. This is an engaging book, with lots of fights, well, I suppose it is about Klingons. The plot moves quickly and you could imagine this being a TV episode. A good read,
Roger
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the most fun Star Trek novels I've read. The pace was perfect, the characterizations just right. I was never a big fan of DS9, but did enjoy Martok's character. Also some interesting highlights of Klingon history.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An amazing book about the Star Trek universe. Really intense, entertaining and effective.
Eugene
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Arguably the best Klingon-centered story in the Star Trek universe.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I love what these post-finale books have done, especially in their fleshing out of the cultures of DS9.
Christina Cunningham
Tony
May 01, 2017
Colin Rippey
Jun 10, 2015
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)
  • Day of the Vipers (Star Trek Terok Nor Book 1)
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
John Garman "J.G." Hertzler is an American actor, well known in the Star Trek community for his role on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) as the Klingon General (and later Chancellor) Martok. He is presently a Resident Professional Teaching Associate at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY.
More about J.G. Hertzler

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny (2 books)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99