Start by marking “The Novice (Black Magician Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Novice (Black Magician Trilogy, #2)

The Novice

(The Black Magician Trilogy #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  45,548 ratings  ·  1,240 reviews
"Even if a magician's powers surface of their own accord, he will soon be dead if he does not gain the knowledge of how to control them."
Alone among all the novices in the Magicians' Guild, only Sonea comes from lowly beginnings. Yet she has won powerful allies—including Lord Dannyl, newly promoted to Guild Ambassador. But Dannyl must now depart for the Elyne court, leavin
Published August 2nd 2007 by ATOM (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Novice, please sign up.
Nastja Not really. But I started reading book 3 and there's more of the Thieves there.

·  45,548 ratings  ·  1,240 reviews

Will.J.R. Gwynne
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy
Find my first review on BookNest.Eu which is a more embellished version of my review of The Novice. Hope you enjoy https://booknest.eu/component/k2/william/1529-the-novice-black-magician-trilogy-2-by-trudy-canavan-book-review

“There's always a bit of truth in each rumour, the trouble is finding out which bit."

The Novice is the second book in the Black Magician Trilogy and it continued to be enjoyable like the first, presenting the protagonist with a whole new set of difficulties to overcome as
Phrynne
The second book in this series and not quite as good as the first. I felt there was not enough content for the length of the book so it dragged a bit in places. As in the first one I enjoyed the characters although I did get a bit tired of waiting for Sonea to use her powers and turn Regin into the rat that he was. (Sadly she never does). Having said all that I read the whole book in record time so it must have had something going for it. And I still want to read the next one!
Ésa
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How PATHETIC did Sonea turn out to be in this book?
Again, the author drags part of the story, aka where Sonea gets bullied by some of the rich, spoilt novices, out for pretty much 2/3 of the book, needlessly I may add.

I only gave this two stars because throughout the whole book, whilst the style of writing is still appreciable, I found myself completely aghast at the pathetic, lacking in backbone and self-doubting creature that she turned Sonea into!
We are talking about a young, determined indiv
Kells Next Read
This read was okay. I'm literally on a fence as to what I'm actually feeling about it.

I like the characters in the book but found that the author drag out the storyline unnecessarily. I found myself getting bored frequently and that is a big No No when I read a book.

The heroine in this read also played the victim role way to long. I seriously reached a point that I didn't even care what happen to her as it was pointless.

My official rating is 3 Stars and I'll eventually finished the trilogy (
T
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly good fantasy title. The plot reminds me quite of Harry Potter (i.e. protagonist in school of wizardry, unusual circumstances of birth, befriended by the school headmaster), but the plot is much more suspenseful and interesting. And none of that ANGST-CRAWLING-IN-MY-SKIN rubbish that one usually sees in this genre of stories.

Mature plot, snappy writing, interesting characters. What more could one ask for?
Elise
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, I'm really starting to love the series. The first book didn't really get interesting until Sonea got to the Guild. With this book, though, it remained interesting from beginning to end. I can relate to Sonea's goal to be a Healer. And I really approved of Trudi Canavan's view of homosexuality that she portrayed through two of her characters. I won't mention the names here to prevent spoilers. Seeing the progress of one of those characters, both in the journey and realiza ...more
Dhuaine
Apr 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Think of this book as what a Harry Potter novel would look like if it was only about Harry vs. Draco struggle. Except here it's Sonea vs Entire School all-out war with the protagonist being 1) a total victim, 2) accepting everything they throw at her, 3) not fighting back, 4) barely protecting herself, 5) barely accepting help from third parties. Antagonists consist of nearly all the students, most of the teachers, staff and a kitchen sink. Rare people who are on Sonea's side try to help her a l ...more
Alatea
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you know that feeling, when you backpacks weights 10 kg after going to a library? And one single book contains 500+ pages and you have to cycle uphill and all the way you're mad on yourself that you took so many books, when you have other things to do? Your studies, your work, your crafts, etc? And when you start reading a book at 11 pm and finish it after 3 am. And you forget that it weighted tone, that you had something else to do, that it's already morning --- you're fascinated, charmed an ...more
Jen3n
May 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's entirely possible that I was just in the wrong mood to read this book. The first one in the series was ... okay, I guess. I thought of it as brain-dead yahoo-fair. Bathtub reading, if you know what I mean. Simplistic and derivitive but harmless. I thought I saw where the author was going and was willing to follow her to the next book, should the opertunity land in my path. Well, it did and I did and here we are. Unimpressed.

The simplicity continues (all poor people noble and good! all wealt
imts
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to imts by: hannah
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, young-adult
"There's always a bit of truth in each rumour, the trouble is finding out which bit."

The worldbuilding in this series really is exquisite.

On the other hand, I found more editing errors in the book, and they continue through book three, too (which I finished half of before remembering I was supposed to mark this one as read).
cat reads
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, my-reviews
It's been a long time since I was this frustrated with a book.

There were so many moments of, "Why doesn't Sonea shield? Why doesn't she call for help? Why the f**k is she allowing this to keep happening?! And why ffs are the adults not doing a damn thing about all of this!?!" For a strong character, in this story she does the most illogical things, but then, how dare logical progression interfere with the plot the author wanted. >.< Seriously, Sonea gets into a huge amount of trouble beca
Karissa
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a spectacular continuation to the Black Magician series. After reading the first book in the series I wasn’t sure if I would continue it; but I am so glad I did. This book is much better than the first one and incredibly interesting and engaging.

I listened to this on audiobook and I really love the narrator of these books. He is a pleasure to listen to and does an awesome job with character voices and emotion. I would highly recommend listening to this series on audiobook.

There is so mu
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

The Novice starts a few months after The Magicians Guild. Sonea is now a novice at the Guild but faces a tough time from the other novices who are distrustful because she is a girl from the slums. Dannyl is now ambassador to Elyne and is on a mission to rediscover ancient magic. At the same time Sonea, Rothen and Administrator Lorlen have to find a way of dealing with and stopping the High Lord Akkarin from using hi
Marzena
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Pam Baddeley
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is volume 2 of Canavan's first fantasy trilogy, and a much more enjoyable read than volume 1 (which had very little plot). By contrast, in 'The Novice', a great deal happens and a lot of the subplots weave into the main plot, of Sonea's experiences and progress as a magician's novice. Due to her origins in the slums, she meets a great deal of bigotry from other novices and even magicians, and is bullied by a classmate, Regin, who manages to get the rest of the pupils on his side, and later ...more
Bec
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ERMAGERD I'm so intrigued by all that's happening. Going to start book 3 immediately because I NEED MORE
Tammie
I found this second book in the Black Magician Trilogy to be much more compelling than the first. I had a hard time putting The Novice down. We see some character development here for Sonea and Dannyl and are left to continue wondering what exactly is going on with the High Lord, although by the end of the book there are some clues. He isn't a very well developed character at this point at all, and as the third book is titled The High Lord I am pretty sure we will get a lot more of him there.

I h
Inge
The Novice begins right where The Magicians’ Guild takes off. Sonea has started learning magic and she’s by far the best of her group. But because she’s a girl from the slums – and therefore the victim of prejudice – she’s subject to many harassments from other students, especially Regin, a boy from her class. He’ll do anything to make her life a living hell and send her back to ‘where she belongs’. But Sonea is strong and she could give Regin a run for his money. Then there’s the mystery around ...more
Melissa Delport
Finally I felt toward the end of the second book that things were picking up. The story has been very good, but too drawn out for my liking. Now, things are starting to get real. Am looking forward to book 3.
Louise
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a brilliant! I thought it was even better then the first book (The Magicianbs Guild). Can't wait to read The High Lord.
Lady Sonea
The Novice is the second installment of Trudi Canavan’s Black Magician Trilogy full with new storylines and conflicts. While The Magicians’ Guild has done rather preparatory work, The Novice makes the next step in revealing the trilogy’s core.

The story
Sonea has started her studies on magic at the Guild’s university. From the first day she is exposed to the hostility of her classmates lead by the evil-natured boy Regin. When her situation has finally improved a little, High Lord Akkarin claims he
Andrea Salayová
“Believe me. There was nothing good in always being second place."

I liked the second book even better than the first one! Mainly because this one was set in the magical school, which is the best setting ever imo. I loved how Sonea was learning all the magical stuff and attended classes. And there was a couple of great antagonists! Overall, very satisfying read. Cant wait to see where the story goes next!

Galadrielė
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 So much better than the first one
Rohini B
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a rule, I try not to give any book a rating below 3, but even with the added allure of procrastination, I had to force myself to finish the second and third part of this unbearable badly written series that I started reading 4 years ago. Only the nagging thoughts in the back of my mind of having left a series halfway compelled me to read till the end of this trilogy.

Trudi Canavan has the unique honor of being the person to make me rethink my read-all-series-till-the-end dogma.
Literary Han Rodgman
This book was a delight to read. I enjoyed every single page. I loved it!

“There's always a bit of truth in each rumour, the trouble is finding out which bit.”

This book is the sequel to The Magician’s Guild. It followed the continuation of Sonea’s story. In this novel she has entered the university to study magic but is met with resistance from some of her class members and teachers. But is she safe now? The High Lord Akkarin harbours a secret that is far darker than his black robes.

I am in love
Arminion
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first I liked this book. Things were...moving forward. Very soon, however I became bored and frustrated. Why? Because of the whole bully business that goes for the ENTIRE book. It never stops. It just goes on and on and on. I really didn't know what I hated more, the fact that Sonea was acting like a punching bag that entire time, or the fact that Canavan devoted so much time to this trivial subplot. By the time Sonea finally shows some teeth, it's already too late and the feeling of victory ...more
Ornella (Nyx)
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
There is something missing for me with these books. They are 'good' but not as engaging as I would like them to be, or more accurately I think they should have elicited more enthusiasm from me what with all that's going on. There is/was a serial killer on the loose, more problems for Sonea took place, Lorlen, Dannyl and Rothen encountered their own issues, and yet, it was kinds of blah.

I think it's the same problem as the last book. The pacing. Everything is just moving SO SLOWLY. The thing is
Nidhi Bhatt
This story is just fun to read. Fast paced and so many different POVs. Overall a great read...

We get the story of Sonea, Lorlen, Rothen and Dannyl in bits. We get to meet Rothen's son Dorrien who has feelings for Sonea which she returns. We get to meet a bullying loser high class guy Regin-whatever-his-name-is.

I had fun towards the end when you know that Sonea would strike back for all the humiliation and embarrassment she faces at his hand.

(view spoiler)
 Abril Sol
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was such an amazing book. I loved it from the beginning. It is amazing how I got so interested and absorbed by the story where magic is the central theme but also the less used one. It is a story that occurred in a magic academy but it is more about friendship, trust, mystery, and a lot of political issues. I love this book so much I can't even...
And Dannyl!!!? I am so happy for him. The slowest burning romance ever (not really, is just that I am very anxious). Agh! I am so pleasantly surpris
Matilda
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lus-en-anglais
I was really happy by the first 300-pages of the book and thought that was going to be a truly impressive read. However I was not really pleased with the main string of the second part and thought it was not as well as it could have been.
But it was still a really pleasant and enthralling read. This is quite a big volume and I was happy to want to read all the time. Of course I want to read the conclusion now. And spoiler I bought it today in a charity shop.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Wit'ch Gate (The Banned and the Banished, #4)
  • Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2)
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #1)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
  • Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #3)
  • The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)
  • Stormlord's Exile (Watergivers #3)
  • Dark Haven (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #3)
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T

The Black Magician Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1)
  • The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy, #3)
- Tayend”