Jump to ratings and reviews

Find Your Flow: Capture it, Use it, and Make it Yours

Flow is an optimal mental state that you can control, create, and experience every day. Once you learn how to master flow, your happiness will flow quickly and effortlessly as you use strategies to gain control over your life, focus on what matters most, and motivate action toward your goals and dreams. But how do you harness flow?

In Find Your Flow, life coach and neuro-linguistic programming practitioner Sarah Gregg reveals a powerful four-step journal system that can be applied to your everyday life. All it takes is a few minutes a day to help you find your flow through:

Morning grateful flow—wake up happy as you start your day, writing words of gratitude and creating a positive mood that lasts all day.

Forward focus—identify your priorities for the day to bring a sense of harmony and balance between what you must do and what you want to do

Total flow—script your ideal day to spot opportunities, stay on course, and defend yourself against distraction

Nighttime reflection—lean into the lessons that are showing up in life, spot opportunities to find more flow, and celebrate the powerful small steps you’re taking each day to create meaningful life changes.

Find Your Flow is your practical guide to awaken and strengthen your authentic voice so that you can make your signature impact on the world, inspire others, and reach your full potential.

128 pages, Hardcover

Published January 7, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Gregg

5 books4 followers
Sarah is a Northern Irish girl with a huge passion for unlocking human potential (you could call it a bit of an obsession). Sarah is a member of the British Psychological Society, a certified life coach, business coach, and a certified Neuro-Linguistic Programming Practitioner. She's helped hundreds of ambitious individuals and businesses to dream big and take consistent action to get the results, with ease. In 2016 Sarah left her job and went in pursuit of her dream to work and travel fulltime. She now runs The Power to Reinvent and helps people across the world fulfill their potential and feel happier. Learn more at www.thepowertoreinvent.com or connect with Sarah on Instagram @thepowertoreinvent

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 46 reviews
Profile Image for Holly.
193 reviews64 followers
January 8, 2020
Do you feel unfulfilled? Are you successful but still not feeling happy? Then this is the book for you! Find Your Flow is basically a how-to guide that explains what you need to do in order to be happy. But it isn’t a magical solution — in other words, you won’t become happy just from reading it. It will require daily work on your part and the author clearly lays out a four-step system that she personally vouches for.

This is a friendly and motivating book that’s determined to make you happier. It is a relatively short book, which I really appreciate because it is so practical, filled with recommendations and things to do and/or change in order to get you on the road to happiness. This book is not bogged down with unnecessary stories or abstract theories. It is not at all abstract and is not filled with theory or quotes from pontificating academics. Rather, it is succinct and clear plus at the end, there is a worksheet to get you started. It is very well researched book, providing footnotes and sources. Results of relevant psychological studies are conveyed without jargon or unnecessary detail. Sarah peppers the text with anecdotes to illustrate major points and will sometimes use her own life experience as an example.

I am sure many of you have heard of Flow. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi published a book called Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience in 1990 and followed it up seven years later with Finding Flow: The Psychology of Engagement with Everyday Life. What I didn’t know is that in a 2004 TED talk, Csikszentmihalyi revealed that Flow is the secret to happiness. Importantly, achieving Flow is something that you yourself can do and Sarah shows you how to do it.

Sarah recommends a daily journal system based on Flow. Essentially, you will start each day with positivity/gratitude and end your day with reflection. Sarah is very clear about the specific questions to address and when to do so. I can hear you saying — Oh no, do I have to write in a journal every day? Yes you do but it only takes a few minutes in the morning and at night. You will find it much more beneficial to your mental state to do this journal first thing in the morning instead of checking your email or the news.

Because Sarah finally found happiness with her system, as did her friends and family, she generously decided to share it with the world in this book. How lucky we are!

Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group - Rock Point and NetGalley for a temporary advance reader copy in exchange for my honest opinion.
Profile Image for eyes.2c.
2,312 reviews44 followers
January 4, 2020
Mindfulness. The art of Being.

This all seemed slightly familiar to me. I used to start my morning in somewhat similar undertakings of Gratitude, writing things down, journaling and focusing on the day ahead. I haven't done that for eons, and this short, succinct work is positive, easy to follow and useful.
The four step program includes--
Morning Grateful flow: Wake up Happy
Forward Focus:Living with Intention
Total Flow: Train Your Brain
Nighttime Reflections: Become Aware, Grow and Flow
Journal pages incorporating these steps has been included to help make a start.
"Find your flow" is a timely reminder to me of past forgotten habits and a chance to move in a old but new direction.

A Rock Point ARC via NetGalley
Profile Image for Natalie  all_books_great_and_small .
1,977 reviews69 followers
December 19, 2019
I received an advanced reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

What a fantastic motivational book to help teach you the importance of positive thinking and recognizing what is important, achievable and the power of planning this daily and reflecting upon our days, plans and experiences too.

The back has afew blank pages to fill in to get you started which is a fantastic idea as it gives you a guide of getting into a routine, showing you an organised formatted way to achieve the goals the book guides you to do, and helping you to get started.
I will definitely be giving this a go in 2020 as the whole book gives fantastic advice and makes a great deal of sense.
January 12, 2020
This book really got 2020 off to a great start! Easy to read, follow and beautifully designed the author really brings the psychology of flow to life in a way that feels accessible and achievable.The practical nature of the book means you can start to journal for flow immediately after reading with the book even having some journal pages at the back! It’s simple, practical and you can start right away!
Profile Image for Nicole.
52 reviews5 followers
May 27, 2021
I don't normally do well with journaling, but the structure of this approach makes me excited to give it a try.
Profile Image for Bodies in the Library.
375 reviews5 followers
August 24, 2021
I absolutely love this book, and have already used some of the things I learned from it when I have been working with virtual organising clients.

There are 3 major strengths in Sarah Gregg's work:
1. She consolidates research into Flow, from Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's work onwards
2. She explains this research in ways that make sense for those of us who are not qualified psychologists
3. She makes sensible and achievable suggestions for how people can work towards encouraging their life to have more flow.

Find Your Flow works as a psychology-inspired journal system (and, indeed, there are many pages at the back that the reader could use to start their journal). It also works as a resource into which to dip whenever relevant.

Several clients have related to her explanation of why checking her phone first thing each morning had a negative impact on her as "an unnecessary roll of an emotional die, a naive gamble that could determine the unfolding energy of the day ahead. The information on my phone screen stimulated my brain, sparking a neurological chain reaction of thoughts, feelings and emotional responses" (p. 28). Taking time to center and journal is a much better start to the day, and an easy step to encourage in clients. Beginning the day with gratitude makes a lot of sense.

Similarly, the nighttime reflection has been helpful for people, especially since it's about reviewing the day and looking for positive steps to take as learning. The "Forward Focus" (p. 47-50) worked for different reasons - it maps exactly to the steps that we often encourage, but expresses them within the concept of flow rather than simply productivity:

"1. Set three daily goals you must do (high-value priorities).
2. Set three daily goals you want to do (high-flow activities).
3. Write down your schedule for the day to bring greater awareness of how you use your time" (p. 48).

In short, this book was the perfect combination of new ideas and explanations of familiar ideas for me. I love it, and would recommend it to anyone.
Profile Image for Theo.
5 reviews1 follower
April 8, 2021
This one was part of the humble bundle I recently purchased and I quite liked the cover of it (the colors are just pleasing to look at). I was not that impressed with the actual book though. Very basic self-help, quite cheesy writing. A lot of unnecessary storytelling. Still gets three stars though, as if was a sweet reminder to be more kind to oneself.

This is the sort of book that will probably be a great hit for the "live love laugh"-crowd, and there is nothing wrong with that! I just wasn't the right target audience for this particular book.
April 6, 2021
101% recommend this snappy easy reading gem! The insight and tools I have taken in my own life to be aware of the busy trap we lose ourselves in and sit in peace in our own world. Sarah alone is a star herself with portraying authentically and vulnerably what we lose ourselves in and how to kick us back out! Give it a go you won’t be disappointed 🤍✨🤗🙌🏼
Profile Image for Shelby.
40 reviews2 followers
December 12, 2019
While I’m sure the majority of us are familiar with the concept of gratitude journaling, I was surprised at just how effective it could be when combined with the mundane everyday tasks that we tend to regard as chores or things to just “get through “.

These obligations become something a bit more sacred when they are given a mindful approach. We no longer “go with the flow” in life, instead we become the ones in control.

The concept of this book is based off of psychologically proven methods that have shown that when you approach things with intention- put energy into the things you wouldn’t normally celebrate- it can improve everyday happiness, help you with future goals, and assist you in fulfilling your overall potential.

The basis of the FLOW system is to take the time each day to script what your ideal day would be.
By making a ritual out of it, it becomes less chore-like and more motivational.

There are 4 things to do daily to achieve this:

•• MORNING GRATITUDE ••
This has been psychologically proven to make a marked difference in the outcome of the rest of your day.

•• FORWARD FOCUS ••
Taking a few minutes to be mindful about your goals for the day. Decide those that you MUST do, and what you’d LIKE to do; and prioritize them as if they were equally important. We generally don’t treat our WANTS as priorities. This is important to our success as well!

•• TOTAL FLOW ••
Learn to use Imagery Scripting in order to plan your day out and keep on track despite distractions.

•• NIGHTTIME REFLECTION ••
A bedtime journal routine to reflect on your day and actively look for lessons to be learned, things to be worked on, opportunities we may have missed, and even accomplishments that should be celebrated.

The author teaches this by breaking each chapter into parts:
First, she relays her own personal story about how her old habits were affecting her life before.
Then, she explains the psychology of each section of FLOW, offering tips and ideas to help you brainstorm how you’d like to work your own personal system.
Ending each chapter is a step-by-step instructional section on how to practice each part.

I wanted to exercise this book personally before giving my review, but my kidney had other plans. I ended up spending most of my time either bedridden or hospitalized. So, I’m bummed that I can’t personally vouch for if it was successful for me.

However, I can say that I think this book is extremely well written, easy to follow, a convenient size, (not a time-consuming read). That can be nice sometimes for us lazy self-help seekers!

In fact, the last 40-ish pages of the book are actually guided journal pages for you to fill out, which is a great way to help kickstart your journey.

Aesthetically, it’s a lovely little book, filled with bright colors, quotes, and pleasing fonts.

Overall I found it to be pretty motivating, and I can’t wait to try it out.
I do have to say that I definitely think it would be better in actual book form if you were going to purchase, as most journals are; in my opinion.

I was provided with a copy of this from the publisher and Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

Profile Image for Anne.
30 reviews
November 7, 2021

There are 3 major strengths in Sarah Gregg's work:

"1. Set three daily goals you must do (high-value priorities).
2. Set three daily goals you want to do (high-flow activities).

Profile Image for Julie.
2 reviews1 follower
February 4, 2020
Followed Sarah Gregg on social media and really looked forward for Find your flow to launch.
I had very high expectations and I was not dissipointed then I got to read it.

This system is just brilliant. The book is build op around 4 exsices, personal storys from Sarah and sheets in the back for praticing the flow system.
This system is around 4 themes:- Morning gratitude - High value and high flow priorities- Scripting the day- Nighttime reflection
The system help you start your day with a positive mind, to plan what you need to do that day (pay a bill, a task at work ect.) and what you really want to do (see a friend, read a book ect). The scripting help you to design you day and give you a way yo take actions on the things you need and want to do. The Nigthtime reflections gives you a space to look at your day and see how everything went, this is not for hitting your self in the head for this things you did not do but a way to found out what worked for you.

I have used the system for abour 6 month and its really have changed my life. I have used it for priotizing my dreams og give me a an effective day. I also learned to work with fears in situations and it have gived me a positive outcome instead of a bad.
The system is simple but have made such lifechanging inpact for me. I highy recomment it.

The design of the book is beautiful with a lot of beautiful colours and designs. The size is perfect and fits in a handbag, perfect for on the go.
Profile Image for Ryan Oxley.
116 reviews2 followers
January 4, 2020
I'll lay my cards on this table with this book - this is good. As self-help books go, I'll admit to being a complete novice however, I have been practising mindfulness meditation now for 10 months, and 'find your flow' appears to apply some of the same therapeutic techniques, that when applied, can improve your life. The book itself is beautifully designed (very 'Instagram-able') and I guess this is for easy readability and can be put down / picked up when required. Sarah Gregg certainly knows her flow and has applied this to her own life, which adds credibility. The book is well researched and applies scientific evidence from referenced studies when referring to the four parts of the 'find our flow' process;

1. Morning Grateful Flow - Wake Up Happy
2. Forward Focus - Live with Intention
3. Total Flow - Train Your Brain
4. Nighttime Reflection - Become aware, grow and flow

The book also contains a journal with which you can record and plan your flow, and immediately apply positive applications to your daily life. The premise is one of simplicity, order, and clarity. In this crazy busy modern world, meditate, or find your flow; it can only be a good thing!
February 13, 2020
This is a great practical book to introduce elements of flow into daily living. For anyone who wants to apply flow in their lives with four clear strategies that author Sarah Gregg outlines in very clear terms. The book feels so good in my hands, is beautifully designed, the perfect size to carry along with you on travel, to a coffeeshop, or cozy up with at home. If you'e someone who is tired of reading book after book trying to find clear cut strategies, look no further! This book gives you the strategies and also includes concise descriptions of the science and research behind it. I recommend this book for anyone looking for a life with more intention and a means by which to embody their purpose but isn't sure how to put the pieces together to get there. The tools outlined here will help fill in the blanks with ease and research. Personally, I have mine and I got a second book to gift a friend who is short on time, but needs an outline for living a happier life, and I couldn't think of a better gift than this book!
December 12, 2019
Find Your Flow was a great read that helped me remember to use my time on the important things. I definitely enjoyed reading this beautifully written and illustrated book but the real power came when I began to implement the journal system.

I have become a happier and more focused person after adding the journal techniques to my routine. Through frequent use of the journal system, I have also gained the clarity and confidence to embark on a drastic career change. My favorite technique that I have learned in this book is total flow, which I have used to prepare myself for job interviews, big meetings or simply to stay on track during the day. The approach is simple, easy to use and is not time consuming.

This book is a must for anyone wanting to achieve flow more frequently, gain personal clarity or to make a change, no matter how big or small.

Thank you NetGalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Denise Nolson.
24 reviews5 followers
January 12, 2020
Beautiful and Practical Self Help Book

This is a beautifully designed book that would make a great gift for a friend or just a special treat for yourself! Find Your Flow is a very easy & enjoyable read, & the author does a great job of breaking down the psychology of flow into jargon free language. She uses her own personal examples which brings a lovely sense of warmth & connection.

I'm very pragmatic, so I loved the practical nature of Find Your Flow, & having the journal pages at the back means you can put the journal system for flow (outlined in the book) into practice as you go which reinforces how easy & effective this process is to use daily.

This book is great for anyone feeling a bit overwhelmed and frustrated by life who wants a really simple, science based journal practice to help life flow. I've used the system for a couple of days now and have to say that I'm already noticing the difference.
December 4, 2019
As a busy working Mum of 3 girls, I am always looking for ways to better balance and organise my time. Find Your Flow is filled with interesting science based insights into how I could improve in that area. I really liked setting the high value priorities and high flow priorities - it's a good daily reminder to take time to do things for me, even something small, and focus on what's important on my (always huge) to do list.

It's a short book and an easy read but I think to really feel the benefits of flow you need to practice the journal system.

Great for anyone looking for an easy to implement morning and nighttime routine that will help them feel happier and focus on what matters, it really has made a difference in my day to day.

*Thank you NetGalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
December 4, 2019
I found this to be a concise, easy to read book that's perfect for busy people looking for a practical way to approach finding flow in their lives. While some parts of the book I was familiar with (expressing gratitude or as its referred to in the book, morning grateful flow and night time reflection) there were some parts which were new to me, for instance I found it interesting to learn about setting high flow priorities and also use total flow to train my attention.

It's a great practical guide and is beautifully designed so could even make a lovely gift for someone who is feeling a bit stressed from day to day life and needs a bit of direction, particularly with the journal summary pages in the back.

(Thank you NetGalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review)
November 3, 2020
This book came into my life at a mysterious time, a point in time when I didn’t know or understand the significance. This is not just another psychology book that you’re going to read and forgot about in a few days. This book gives you real life steps to use throughout your days. Not only does it give you a step by step but it allows you to reveal your true passion and drive for your own life. The author, Sarah Gregg, makes you feel like you’re sitting down having a cup of coffee while she talks about the inside and outs of her life, while you looking back are thinking how your life too feels the exact same way. I would recommend this book for anyone who’s trying to find their true calling and passion in life, or simply just wanting to learn how to journal to make their life better. I promise you won’t be disappointed! Make the step today, it’s worth it :)
March 9, 2021
**Favourite book alert**

I was compelled to buy this book after seeing the author talk on a self help course. I can honestly say that I’m not usually a person that writes reviews, but this book has sat next to my bed ever since - as the author is so engaging.

The concepts of flow, and the steps to get there are simple to understand, and more importantly to implement. I have tried (and failed!) to journal for years, but using this method I am actually getting results.

Also the book itself is so beautiful- the cover is tactile and the pages have beautiful illustrations; so it makes you want to pick it up again and again (unlike other books of this genre that I have read once, and are now dusty on a shelf somewhere!).

A must read - it could genuinely help you make actionable changes to your life. Can’t wait for the authors next book to come out !!
December 20, 2019
I read Find Your Flow because I wanted to find a new way to journal and support my personal growth. I needed it to be easy to implement in my day.

I really enjoyed reading the book and it honestly felt effortless because of the dynamic and warm way it is written. It flows well and has a calming design. You can instantly put the lessons into practice.

Sarah expresses her own personal stories, uses psycology and anecdotes in each chapter and offers practical tips to be successful finding flow. The stories and annecdotes are relatable. The psychology is explained in an easy way to understand.

Overall this book is a great tool to practice living in the present and intentionally.

April 2, 2020
Find your flow has been fantastic help to me!
In the hustle and bustle of my ‘normal’ day; I had forgotten how to take a look around. This book has helped me re-focus. It has helped to point out my priorities, aspirations for happiness, and to reflect on what I am grateful for. In a way that does not feel forced upon, or annoying.
Find your flow is an easy and straight forward way to reflect on things that matter to me, and that I aspire to be.
Sarah Gregg, has simplified the flow method into diary form. Her approach is simple, and keeps me on track, to just be a better version of me. Plus it is beautiful book to look at.
I hope you give it a chance, and that it grants you a better version of yourself too!
November 23, 2020
A beautifully written & compelling book, crucial for the times we live in.

Before I read Sarahs book, Find Your Flow, I thought I knew everything I needed to about the subject.
How wrong I was. Barely a few pages in & Sarah's wonderful insights had me gripped. She dives deep into a topic that is often brushed over or misunderstood. And I cannot think of more timely and relevant information! Now I understand that 'flow' is the answer to many of our needs. And Sarah details step by step exactly how to find it. All presented in an articulate & compassionate voice. The writer never condescends her reader (something I find exceptionally annoying in self help literature) & I hungrily devoured the book in two sittings. I highly recommend.
December 3, 2019
A really good read that came at the right time for me.

Sarah drives home the importance of focusing and structuring your day, which is something I've often overlooked. I particularly enjoyed learning more about flow, and the psychology behind it – it's something that I'm sure I will benefit from on a new venture I'm undertaking and I really appreciate the research that must have gone into it.

If you're feeling overwhelmed and looking to take back some control, or you're looking to get laser-focused on a project (or just your to-do list), I'd definitely recommend giving this one a read.

Profile Image for Christy ImperfectlyWorthy.
463 reviews13 followers
January 2, 2020
I have been on a self-help / mentalhealth journey for a couple years now, and have been reading books similar to Find Your Flow, I always find them to be a bit overwhelming, so was pleased to see that this was only about 100 pages. It read a bit like a class textbook, and i did find my focus to be wavering quite a bit once I hit the halfway mark, but there was enough examples and ah-ha moments to get me through. And I was definitely a fan of the guided journalling pages at the back of the book. Guided is always something that appeals to me, as I have trouble with words, etc. This was the perfect first book read for 2020.
1 review3 followers
August 19, 2020
This book was really life-changing for me. I am a far-too-busy multitasking entrepreneur and this book really helped me slow down just enough to be able to enjoy every day life and be more present.
I love to structure and organize things into plans and lists, so it was easy for me to adopt the Find Your Flow journalling system. I have known about the concept of flow state for years, but never really integrated it into my life. I feel like I discovered the book at just the right time...starting a new job and new lifestyle, with the added stress of the corona lockdown. I needed some assistance to readjust and remain positive, and this book was the answer.
December 23, 2019
Such an impactful and insightful yet easy read the author has compiled! We’re all so busy these days and frequently suffering from overwhelm, so the tips and clear roadmap provided in here have been immensely helpful for my productivity and peace of mind.

Flow is a topic that has been so widely discussed in recent years, but I never really understood it, let alone how to attain it. This breakdown is simply incredible.

Thank you netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
Read
August 18, 2021
Feeling overwhelmed with journaling, where to start and if I was doing it right? Sarah’s work came at the perfect time, a beautifully written book, relatable real life stories, simple concepts and layout in the journalling format with an in-depth explanation of the psychology of flow, the perfect combination! I reference the book regularly and use Sarah’s journaling prompts daily. Highly recommended for those looking to understand flow and how to incorporate journaling daily without it feeling like a chore. Thanks Sarah.
Profile Image for Karma.
216 reviews
December 7, 2019
This book talks about the four things we should do daily to live a life full of flow.

1) Morning gratitude
2) Setting intention for the day'
3) Mindfulness throughout the day
4) Night time reflection

The book talks about scripting your ideal day. The information presented was useful and the book was very pleasing to look at.

Recommended as a physical book. Will make a good gift.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley.
December 21, 2019
This was an excellent little read on my Saturday afternoon, especially at a time when things often feel very hectic during this festive season.
I loved the simple yet practice tips on journaling and it also reiterated the importance of reflection at the days end. Gratification is a powerful tool that we often disregard.
This would make the perfect gift to someone who is interested to begin taking the first steps to positive flow in their lives.
Profile Image for Anna Faustino.
19 reviews6 followers
January 19, 2020
This book is something that everyone can benefit from reading!

Outlining a simple yet logical journaling method, I can see how it can help you be a happier version of yourself.

The book itself is easy to read and was very relatable. It contained a good mix of personal anecdotes and scientific literature which is often lacking from self-help books.

Overall, fab read for those looking to practice gratitude and self reflection.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 46 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.