Start by marking “Running with Scissors” as Want to Read:
Running with Scissors

Running with Scissors

Eighteen months ago, drummer Jude Colburn made the biggest mistake of his life when he walked away from his band just as they were on the brink of success. Now, he’s got a second chance. The band’s bassist just quit, and Jude plays bass almost as well as he plays drums. The other band members aren’t thrilled, but they are desperate.

Running with Scissors needs him, but
Published May 1st 2019 (first published August 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Running with Scissors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running with Scissors

Start your review of Running with Scissors
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~DNF @ 40%~

I wanted to finish this one. I made a heartfelt attempt. But this story just didn't draw me in.

It was slow, mild, and unexciting, like a sip of warm milk when you were expecting a mojito.

I wanted more drama, more sex, more ROCKSTARS, baby!

There was too much back and forth, and I wasn't feeling the connection between the MCs.

I won't rate this one, because the writing is strong; the plot has a definite arc; and I can absolutely see its appeal for certain readers.

I have loved many of
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

I can't decide whether to round up or down. Initially, I was going to round up but the more I wrote in my review the more it seemed to warrant a rounding down. It was a definite 3.5 star read for me, but alas Goodreads doesn't allow half stars. I really just found this one to be a bit of a let-down.

For starters....LOW STEAM?

Ms. Witt....what are you doing to me? I can always count on you for the smut. Always! I think there were two scenes. Maybe.

Secondly....I think the MCs were
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

I've said it before, but I can't resist a L.A. Witt book. I just can't! My ratings range from 1 to 5 stars with her stuff (and I've read dozens of her books), but I can't resist taking the chance that the next L.A. Witt book will be a favorite. This book... meh, not in the favorite's pile, that's for sure.

I've read a lot of rock star books. A lot. I've loved them (Perfect Imperfections, Black Hurricane), I've hated them (The Curtis Reincarnation), and everything in between. This book
Gigi

Running with Scissors tells the story of Jude Colburn and his childhood rock band named Running with Scissors. Running with Scissors has recently made the big time, signing with a record label and landing a headliner tour. A littler under two years ago, Jude abruptly left the band after having a falling out with his boyfriend, lead singer and childhood friend Connor. He never got to experience the fame of making it big and currently works a unfulfilling 9 to 5 job in an office.

Meanwhile, Running
Catherine
The writing was strong, but the pacing was WAY too slow and the characters and their drama not quite interesting enough to hold my attention for 300+ pages. I felt like there was a lot of repetition in the conversations between the band and Jude, and between A.J. and Jude; I think this book would have been better served by some cutthroat edits that made this novella-length instead.
.Lili.
DNF 30%

I'm going to throw in the towel. Sigh...

I have tried getting into this book multiple times. I've set it aside twice and read other books with the hopes that a small break will help me get into it. Sadly, it just didn't catch my interest. The writing wasn't bad- it just didn't click for me. I would like to thank Riptide Publishing for the opportunity to read it, I'm sorry that I couldn't finish it. I will refrain from rating it since I didn't read the whole book.
Debra
Full release day review originally posted at Sinfully...Addicted to All Male Romance

While this wasn’t the raucous, hard-partying, rocker book I was expecting, and it definitely was more of a slow burn and lower on the steam factor than some other L.A. Witt books, I really enjoyed it. The story focuses less on the rock star lifestyle and more on the personal relationships among the band members, most of whom have been together since they were kids.

Ever since musical prodigy Jude abruptly quit the
Shay J
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Running with Scissors Stars!!

Gorgeous musical prodigy Jude Colburn and shy and soft spoken A.J had sizzling chemistry, I was hooked from their first meeting. When Jude returns to his old band a year after he left them in the dust because of a complicated and hurtful break up, he meets his replacement drummer A.J. And so touring, music, sex, drama and a whole lot more follow.

They both develop a unexpected connection and friendship and so the story goes on from there…It was awesome to watch
Aerin
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, arc
It's been a long time since I've read a great MM musician/rock band book, and I've missed it like crazy! I loved everything about this book, the characters, the story line, the angst, the conflict, the love story, the chemistry...I could go on and on and never finish finding things to love. This might be the best rock band love story I've read, ever!

Jude is the founder of Running With Scissors, a band formed by him together with his childhood friends, but he's also no longer a part of the band.
Tabatha
I was really impressed with Running with Scissors, and I'm going to fan girl a bit for this review. I simply love LA Witt's books, and this is going to go down as one of my favorites from her. Boy can the girl write! This book had a perfect balance of angst and romance, and the intense chemistry between Jude and AJ will downright set your ebook on fire.

I don't think you can get a more complicated situation than what Jude is facing, but you have to admire him because he definitely steps up to
Sophia
I saw a review on this story and snagged it. Even though it wouldn't be one I would grab on my own in the normal scheme of things, there were points made that drew me in. I enjoy reading about flawed characters who screwed things up royally get a second chance to make good and maybe find happiness and love in the restoration process. That's what I got with this rocker who had to learn the hard way how to fix his mistakes while not making new ones along the way.

The story opens with Jude Colburn
Ije the Devourer of Books
This is a great story. Deliciously tension filled in some places but with a smooth and satisfying conclusion. It is a really lovely story of growth, maturity, reconciliation and love.

I did enjoy this. It is overflowing with all kinds of tensions and group dynamics and a relationship that develops between two people who are doing their best not to 'rock the boat'.

18 months ago Jude broke off his relationship with Connor and walked out of Connor's life and out of the band - Running with Scissors
Under the Covers Book Blog
After reading a bunch of books and being disappointed in them, I tried switching up genres and going for a M/M. Now I’ve always been a fan of L.A. Witt’s writing, but just reading the first chapter of this book pulled me out of that horrible reading slump I was in. There was something I immediately liked about Jude’s character. The book starts off with him at his boring old nine to five job. He is unhappy, only looking forward to when the workday ends and his multiple cigarette breaks. It’s ...more
Lelyana
*** 4,5 ROCK ME STARS! ***

You know what I always love about L.A. Witt'S books?
Everything is put on the right place, at the right time, even the sex.
Sometimes, all you need is patience to get there.
The sexual tension is so frustrating, and it was 'there', you now. Killing you slowly.
Oh but I'm a patient girl, and I got my reward after 47% the story and voila...the rock star sex was there!
"Jude cursed. “How do you have . . . that much . . .” He shivered. “Control?”
A.J. laughed, his warm breath
Tina
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, musicians

The story was at best an okay read, it didn’t grab me like some of Lori Witt's previous books. The best thing of the story was the cover. Bummer!
Christi Snow
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My Review:
I don't know what I expected going into this book, but it was so much more and better than I expected.

Running with Scissors was a band that was made up of childhood friends. Within that group were Conner and Jude. Once they hit high school, their friendship morphed into more, but Conner isn't an easy guy. He's very passionate, very artistic, and he's not the easiest guy to live with. As a result, their romance was on and off constantly and very explosive. Until Jude had enough and
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

When Jude Colburn receives a call from his former band’s manager, asking him to come back to the band, this time as their bassist, he doesn’t hesitate to agree. He’d left the band, Running With Scissors, after a breakup with his lover and longtime friend, Connor, a year and a half-ago. He was their drummer, but Jude is one of those gifted musicians who can play anything, so he’s okay
Christy
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, arc, on-my-kindle
3.5 Stars ~ I often find myself drawn to rock band stories and since I haven't got an ounce of musical talent, I can't exactly explain why. Maybe it was being a teenager in the early 80s with the big hair bands? I do know I have a lot of fun reading these books and the description for 'Running with Scissors' had me thinking there was going to be plenty of angst to keep me happy.

Jude left the band six months before they were signed - yep, seriously stupid move - but considering he and Connor, the
Katinka (Unquietly Me)
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, mm
L.A. Witt is a new author to me, and I absolutely loved everything about her new MM romance RUNNING WITH SCISSORS. I loved her relatable writing style, both moody and upbeat, and tantalizingly erotic. The novel's interesting and page-turning plot. The sexy, adorable, and well-developed main characters, Jude and A.J. And their wonderfully complicated, emotionally satisfying romance.

Running with Scissors is the name of the rock group Jude, a musical prodigy, formed with his childhood friends and
Shirley Frances
As a fan on L.A. Witt's work I could not pass up the chance to read this title. Hello!!! Rock stars! It's no secret I've enjoyed my fair share of rock star romances and I'm glad to say that this one didn't disappoint either.

What I enjoyed most about this story was the connection between Jude and AJ. Of course, they had great chemistry--the kind that was always present in their every interaction. But for me it was their connection that stood out the most and made this whole story (and band
Mtsnow13
Darn. Well I really liked the cover! And the premise was very promising. Have always enjoyed reading about bad boy rockers, and this author is usually a big win for me, but this book ended up being about a 3 star from me.

I think the biggest issue I had was to do with why and how Jude just walked away. It felt like such an immature thing, and he still didn't seem that mature even the year later, even though I could see the author 'tried' to make him seem sorry, I just didn't feel it much.

...and
Morgan  Skye
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I will admit that I mostly skimmed this book.

I LOVE the idea. LOVE the author. LOVE the cover. But I didn’t love the outcome.

Jude left his band high and dry and when he returns he’s told absolutely no hook-ups will be tolerated with other band members. So of course… he and AJ find themselves having to hide their developing love for each other and that causes lots of strife and on again/off again angst. Turns out Jude had a “thing” with another band member and there are unresolved feelings
Mimi
2.75 stars I don't know what happened to L.A. Witt this time around. I was looking for a good musical story about a band but I got a whole lot of arguing over some shit that happened two years ago that should have been squished back in the day. I understand that Jude and Connor weren't mature enough to talk out their problems but so the hell what. MOVE ON. Jude and A.J. didn't really have a good chance to make a go of their relationship because of the other bullshit from the past. Read at your ...more
The_Book_Queen
Very sexy, a good read, though I can't say that very much of the story stood out for me whenever I put the book down (which was more often than usual for me.)
Bogusia
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: musicians, 2015
Judy
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I rounded up on this due to the fact the author packs in the emotion but there were issues. Jude and his best friends formed a band together out of high school that was just beginning to be successful when it imploded from within. Jude left the band and the remaining members cobbled together the leftovers with enough to success to get a record deal. Jude is working a cubicle job with massive regret and gets a phone call out of the blue. The band is desperate for a bass and Jude knows all the ...more
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews

3 Running with Scissors Stars!

Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Riptide Publishing via NetGalley

Rock star, MM and L.A. Witt. Sign me up. Once I saw the author and the synopsis I had to read this book.

Jude had it all, then he had nothing. His biggest regret was after some bad decisions, he walked away from his dream. Now with a second chance, he vows not to make the same mistake, but he didn't consider the new drummer into the equation.

A.J. loves music, drumming and this band.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

A band on the cusp of making it big takes another hit when a fling between the lead singer and the bassist goes bad leaving the group short a member and the only man who can fill in easily is the man who left the band 18 months ago after his affair with the lead singer went south. I know, I know it sounds like a bad reality show, but in truth Running With Scissors is actually a pretty sweet romance. Two men both trying to make a
Ashley
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure where to start with this book. I enjoyed the concept of the book, and the way the author wrote the book, but for some reason Jude just ticked me off. I'm not sure if its his attitude for most of the book. He almost seemed to think that going back to the band would be easy and just apologizing to his ex-band mates would make everything okay. Once he realized that it would take more than that, and he got knocked off his high horse, I was okay with him.

Overall, it was another good book by
jules0623
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical #1)
  • Leaning Into A Wish (Leaning Into, #5)
  • Point of No Return (Turning Point, #1)
  • One Step Forward
  • Steele My Heart (A Bridge to Abingdon #1)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Love Happens Anyway
  • Set Ablaze
  • Bailey (Confessions, #6)
  • Darkest Hour Before Dawn (THIRDS, #9)
  • Unexpected (Inked, #3)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • Tallowwood
  • Frat Boy and Toppy (Theta Alpha Gamma, #1)
  • Better Than Good (Better Than, #1)
  • Kiss Me Again
  • Rincorrendo la felicità (Wildfire Vol. 2)
L.A. Witt and her husband have been exiled from Spain and sent to live in Maine because rhymes are fun. She now divides her time between writing, assuring people she is aware that Maine is cold, wondering where to put her next tattoo, and trying to reason with a surly Maine coon. Rumor has it her arch nemesis, Lauren Gallagher, is also somewhere in the wilds of New England, which is why L.A. is ...more