Start by marking “Chainmail (Star Trek: Challenger: Gateways, #2)” as Want to Read:
Chainmail (Star Trek: Challenger: Gateways, #2)

Chainmail

(Star Trek: Gateways #2)

Dangerous remnants of an extinct interstellar civilization, the Gateways connect the Alpha Quadrant with the farthest reaches of the galaxy. Hidden away in various corners of the universe, the ancient portals could be the future of space travel, but they may also provide a open doorway for an invasion from beyond! Twenty years ago, in the space near Belle Terre, a caravan ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 334 pages
Published August 2001 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Chainmail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chainmail

Chris McCown
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
To summarize everything I'm about to say, this was a very good book that didn't belong in this series.

Diane Carey has a fantastic writing style. She is able to fully realize aliens species that have a wholly different way of thinking as opposed to the slightly-different method most other authors use, including those who write for the tv show. She also uses the show, not tell method that most other authors lack.

This book is a great read for these reasons. However, I say it doesn't belong because
Rick
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Review - Star Trek Gateways book 2 Chainmail

This is a fairly unique book when it comes to Star Trek books. Continuing the story started in the 6th book of the New Earth series (Challenger), this book starts approximately a month after the new earth book ends with the crew of the frigate Challenger struggling to get used to their new ship while dealing with tough events.

This is another fantastic book and I am looking forward to reading book 3, but that will have to wait until I have read 4
Tamara
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
I first have to say that I did not read this book because it was a Challenger book, but because it was a Gateways book. Maybe if I had read those first I would feel different about it than I did. As it stands though this was not a Star Trek book. Just slapping the name on a book does not make it so. Even for a sci-fi book it was fairly disjointed. The plot was ok but not great, the characters were not inspiring, and I can't say this enough this was not Star Trek.
John
May 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: borrowed
Meh. An unfamiliar cast of characters in an unfamiliar but vaguely Star Trek setting face a "gateway"-themed challenge. No connection to the gateways of the first book are apparent, but maybe that's coming in the conclusion to this story in the seventh volume.

So far this looks likely to be six unrelated, incomplete Trek novels, all to conclude in book seven.

Meh.
Cathy
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Gateways #1 was much better

If this book had started in the middle and continued from there, it would have been a
much easier to understand

Daniel O'donovan
Aug 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Daniel
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second installment in the "Gateways" series of Star Trek novels. Unlike the rest of the books, this one takes place in a franchise developed solely for the use in this series of Star Trek books. Challenger is completely unattached to any of the existing franchise properties and, sadly, is the only book in the Challenger series. Given the different nature of starship Challenger from that of Enterprise, some concepts are a bit foreign such as, there are no science stations but sci deck ...more
Marie
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
If I didn't want to read the whole Gateways series, I would not have finished this book. As it is, it took me three tries to get into the darned thing. It seemed as though the author did everything she could to keep from giving away the twist, but instead of being intriguing, it alternated between being a mess of random terminology and philosophy and being just plain boring.

Also, the author apparently just found out what a thesaurus was and couldn't put it down. An example - here are just some
Erica
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-other
Before I considered reading the Gateways series I had never even heard of Challenger, and I haven't read the books (the ones about New Earth, right!?) that lead up to Challenger either. So this was all new to me, and I'm not completely sure that it was my cup of tee. At least not really. I still love the concept with the Gateways, and I do like some parts of the story in this book mainly due to that. I like the story with Riutta and the other Living, but I would have loved to get even more of a ...more
Dan
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
It really is a shame that Challenger didn't take off as a series, and Chainmail remains the only Star Trek novel under the Star Trek: Challenger name. Diane Carey is a supremely talented writer, and her take on the "new crew, new ship" paradigm is quite unique and interesting. However, I suppose there just wasn't room for a new series in Trek lit that featured entirely new characters. Truly a shame.

Chainmail itself was well-written and a pleasure to read. However, its impact on the rest of the
Josh
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think that this book is one of the best ever written. It contains a wide selection of words, and has many descriptive moments. These moments seem so real that I can almost "see" what is happening in the book. It is in these moments where the amount of detail is almost overwhelming. The word choice is different. The phrase:"'Chain mail' she said, tasting the word..." is a phrase that I have never seen before. The plot- line in this book is unique. More and more problems begin to pile up on Comm ...more
Angela
The crew of Challenger find a strange ship that looks like a graveyard, it also has traps for intruders. The crew of the Challenger are interesting, and the story behind its creation intriguing. The Gateway link seems tenuous, with it being used to introduce a new species. A good read.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Love the Gateways concept. Some tales turned out better than others.
Christopher Preiman
I liked the new ship and crew, it's a pity i didn't like their story. Perhaps if they had gotten a better first book we would have another great Trek book series.
Ryan Mckenzie
Nov 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek
Horrid, and she's one of my favorite Star Trek writers.
Tammy
Annoyingly, the endings of all the books in the series are in 'What Lay Beyond'.
James Wood
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Was not as good as the first book in the series, but as expected, it ended in a cliff hanger, so I will have to keep reading them.
Ossy
Jul 04, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: startrek
i don't get it at all....
Sue Bridgwater
Niall
Aug 23, 2011
David
Nov 01, 2008

• No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)
  • Cold Wars (Star Trek New Frontier: Gateways, #6)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Progenitor
  • Cloak (Star Trek: Section 31, #1)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Belle Terre (Star Trek: New Earth, #2)
Diane Carey also wrote the Distress Call 911 young adult series under the name D.L. Carey.

Diane Carey is primarily a science fiction author best known for her work in the Star Trek franchise. She has been the lead-off writer for two Star Trek spin-off book series: Star Trek The Next Generation with Star Trek: Ghost Ship, and the novelization of the Star Trek: Enterprise pilot, Broken Bow.

For more

Star Trek: Gateways (7 books)
  • One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • Cold Wars (Star Trek New Frontier: Gateways, #6)
  • What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)