Start by marking “Fox Evil” as Want to Read:
Fox Evil

Fox Evil

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  3,135 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
Friendless and alone after his wife dies under suspicious circumstances, Colonel James Lockyer-Fox searches desperately for the illegitimate grand-daughter who could be the only answer to the problems plaguing his name and his life.
Published November 7th 2006 by Berkley Trade (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fox Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fox Evil

Phrynne
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
Minette Walters writes excellent books, all free standing , all full of interesting characters and all with great storylines. Fox Evil is no exception.
Set in the English country side this book takes us into the lives of both the gentry in their big houses and the 'travellers' in their buses with no fixed place of abode. There are murders and thefts, some animals and children suffer cruelty and a couple of people take leave of their senses. Throughout the whole there are a few voices of sanity in
Bonnie Hill
Do you ever get a real feeling of utter satisfaction when you finish a book? You find yourself savoring the book, not wanting it to end and planning the reading of the last page in a special place, like an outdoor swing or a favorite chair. Well this book I am about to recommend gave me such an experience. It was a great mystery set in rural England in the 2000s with the proverbial twists and turns that held my ADD in check for long stretches of time. I may be late to the game, this may be a boo ...more
Ubik 2.0
Tedio e sbadigli nel Dorset

Nutrivo scarse aspettative su questo romanzetto e purtroppo non sono stato smentito: è un libro privo di personalità, presentato dall’edizione italiana con un titolo e una copertina che sembrano alludere a un giallo classico, che poi si rivela una specie di sconclusionato thriller con personaggi di rara antipatia (buoni e cattivi…) e uno pseudointreccio prolisso e tentennante per buona parte del suo svolgimento fino al finale pasticciato che sto già cominciando a dimen
Maria Altiki
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
3,5*
Αρκετά καλή γραφή, ωραία υπόθεση, ικανοποιητική η επίλυση της και αρκετά στοιχειοθετημένη. Κλείνει όλες τις παραμέτρους που έχει ανοίξει στο βιβλίο και μαθαίνεις την κατάληξη του κάθε ήρωα που έχει χρησιμοποιήσει. Δεν το λες φυσικά αστυνομικό μυθιστόρημα αλλά είναι ένα ωραίο βιβλίο μυστηρίου. Νομίζω ότι θα ξαναδιαβάσω βιβλίο της Walters κάποια στιγμή στο μέλλον.
Amanda Patterson
Stuart Aken
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Miriam Smith
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Minette Walters.
Bev Taylor
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
the wife of a wealthy landowner, colonel james lockyer-fox, is found dead on the patio, wearing only a nightdress in the freezing night, bloodstains on the ground around her and the french windows locked

naturally all suspicions r placed on james but natural causes r recorded. but this does not stop the malicious villagers venting their feelings

he becomes a recluse, his daughter and son cut off from him and his will. leo is an inveterate gambler and elizabeth, a whore who had a child out of wed
Chanaka Hettige
"It was okay," says the two-star rating. This was one of those books which I dragged around for too long for too many places. The story builds up to be a good one. But the process of building up was mediocre. There were few interesting characters, but all are dumbed down. Especially the villain, who's always portrayed as a farce, and author expects us to take his actions seriously. That it selves contradict the whole point.

Five Hundred and Fifty-Seven pages are happening in a small village. And
Charitaki Sofia
Αντί για ένα "καθαρόαιμο" αστυνομικό, διαβάσαμε στη Λέσχη μας αυτό. Ένα ψυχολογικό θρίλερ κατά βάση με πολλή ένταση και ανατροπές. Ενδιαφέρον παρουσίασε και η εξέλιξη της ιστορίας. Περιττές ισως οι τελευταίες 10 σελίδες που μπορούν να χαρακτηριστούν και γλυκανάλατες. Σε γενικές γραμμές ένα ευχάριστο ανάγνωσμα για όσους τους αρέσει η αστυνομική λογοτεχνία.
Kevin
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have read several books by Minette Walters and have enjoyed them all. My usual preference in mysteries are for cozies, but I find Walters' books engrossing and this one was no different. I like the way many of her characters exhibit keen intelligence. Many are always thinking. She gets into the heads of most of the main characters. She was great in this book at making the incidents believable. And as always there is a twist at the end that is rather unexpected. She leaves tantalizing clues and ...more
Kaylol
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Absolutely great! After the first 100 pages i had to abandon most of the work I was supposed to be doing and keep reading till the end.

It's incredible how the author manages to go into the depth of what people were thinking. It made me see a couple of things differently. The only thing I didn't love was the last chapter. It was good, but in comparison with the great chapters it could have been better.
Virginia
I enjoyed this book. Walter sprinkles an ample amount of clues and red herrings to keep you constantly guessing who and what is going on. The only gripe I have is near the conclusion when it seems the real culprit comes out of nowhere and relies on some facts that we, as the reader, never saw. Part of me feels as if that's cheating!

However, after reading the ending, it does make sense and is reasonably satisfying. Please note, there are some descriptions of animal cruelty.
Dianne
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, though I really didn't expect to. A random find in a book sale, but the best $3.50 I've spent in a long time. The characters walked straight off the pages and onto the stage, they were so real. The story swept along, with each subplot as interesting as the next. There were no dull patches, just thundering to a gripping finish.
Gaije
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Minette Walters is compared to Ruth Rendell all the time. Yes, they're both female, British, mystery writers, but that only means so much. Walters is so, so, so, much better than Rendell - and I like Rendell. Walters' books are just smarter and tighter in every way, her facility with language is worlds beyond Rendell's, her plotting more surprising, but never outlandish.
Kaethe
hunting, adoption, travelers
Sally
Aug 17, 2007 rated it did not like it
I usually love Minette Walters, but I couldn't get into it after the first 50 pages so I dropped it. Maybe it gets more interesting later.
Jannelies
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Het kwaad komt naar het platteland, in de vorm van Fox Evil. Althans, zo wordt hij genoemd. Zijn echte naam is zelfs hijzelf waarschijnlijk al lang vergeten. In elk geval maakt hij daar niet graag gebruik meer van. Fox Evil is een gecompliceerd figuur. Hij zwerft rond in een bus, samen met een vrouw (Vixen) en twee kleine jongetjes (Wolfie en Cub). Ook van hen zijn geen echte namen bekend. Het kan natuurlijk zijn dat Wolfie en Cub wél echt zo heten Naast Fox Evil speelt de familie Lokyer-Fox een ...more
Elena
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, modern
This book left me unsatisfied and disappointed. Although, the story started very promising: a family mystery in a small village and a couple of uncanny, suspicious characters, it could not leave up to its potential.
The description of the main characters was detailed. However, the individual was given to less space and reappeared too infrequent in the book, so the reader get no opportunity to become familiar to them. The author jumps from one scene to the other with a variation of the characters.
Julian Edge
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story starts quite horrifically and builds a worryingly unpleasant setting for what follows. It's difficult to explain why I found what follows disappointing without giving away too many details of the plot. I guess I'd have to say that the details I would be giving away seemed sufficiently formulaic and the resolution of the whodunnit element enough of a cop-out that I only just made it to the end. I never quite believed in, or cared about, the characters beyond their role in carrying the p ...more
Ezairah
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
Minette Walters knows how to write a good story and how to keep one reading. The characters in this book are not all that likeable, apart from Nancy, Mark, James and perhaps Bella, but the reader keeps being interested in the relations, goings-on and outcome of all this. Having said that, the book isn’t really all that gripping or thrilling. It kind of drifts to a sort of climax that wasn’t really exiting or tense. The who-did-it part was not very interesting and the why was written a little too ...more
Chad Bunch
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was far from the greatest book I've ever read. Ms. Walters breaks many "writing rules", including switching points of view in between chapters and making the reader very confused during blocks of dialogue and when trying to determine whose thoughts she is trying to convey.

There was also not much mystery to this mystery. The antagonist is revealed fairly early and there is very little tension. The ending is very undramatic.

Not a recommended read.
Scottie
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second Minette Walters. Definitely a good read ... a murder mystery set in Dorset, England. Interesting family dynamics, characters, neighbors, attorney, etc. Not a police procedural, which is a welcome aspect. I've read that every Minute Walters novel is standalone (i.e., not part of a series) and I really enjoy that!
Jeanette
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cracking read, a real page turner. Minette Walters never disappoints and I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a gripping read. Four stars because the reveal wasn't finessed enough. But still a cracker!
Riia
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great entertainment and thriller, got me really hooked. However, the last 100 pages ("the end scenes") was tedious rambling, got really bored and annoyed. Just wanted to find out who, what, when and why.
Colleen
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was suspenseful and I liked the characters (at least the “good guys”). But I didn’t think the murderer’s motivation was explained all that well. And then there is Vera. Is she just crazy? Or was she evil too?
Shadoh
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I could have given this book a four star if the last third of the book hadn't dragged on and dragged on to a unsatisfying ending.
Sam Shingler
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting read with nice twists. Kept my attention . Good characters.
Niklas Angmyr
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: privatpersonen
Just great. Complex. Detailed personas. Very brittish. Intruiging. Happy ending.
Jean Kovats
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Did not care for many of the people but liked the wrap up at the end
  • Death's Jest-Book (Dalziel & Pascoe, #20)
  • The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19)
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
  • A Darker Domain (Inspector Karen Pirie, #2)
  • Die Schatten und der Regen
  • Paradies (Annika Bengtzon, #2)
  • Sørgekåpen (Cato Isaksen #3)
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
  • King Solomon's Carpet
  • Exile (Garnethill, #2)
Minette Walters (born 26 September 1949) is a British mystery writer. After studying at Trevelyan College, University of Durham, she began writing in 1987 with The Ice House, which was published in 1992. She followed this with The Sculptress (1993), which received the 1994 Edgar Award for Best Novel. She has been published in 35 countries and won many awards.

The Sculptress has been adapted for tel