Start by marking “Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)

Shadow Woman

(Jane Whitefield #3)

Jane Whitefield is a name to be whispered like a prayer. A shadow woman who rescues the helpless and the hunted when their enemies leave them no place to hide. Now with the bone-deep cunning of her Native American forebears, she arranges a vanishing act for Pete Hatcher, a Las Vegas gambling executive. It should be a piece of cake, but she doesn't yet know about Earl and L ...more
Published April 29th 1998 by Ivy Books (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Woman

jo
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
the chase and the thrilling are as reliably excellent as ever, but i was seriously annoyed by the representation of jane's and carey's marriage. i hoped for a twist that would indicate the absurdity of it, and maybe jane's and carey's side adventures, with their romantic frisson, are that, but i doubt it. perry seems dead serious when he represents jane as wanting a fully dedicated domestic marriage. that this is the novel's weak point is indicated also by perry's failure to resolve it (dramatic ...more
Jim
Another good thriller from Perry. I thought I knew a couple of things that were going to happen that did & several I didn't. Awesome! There was a lot of moving around from the bright lights to the loneliest wilderness, all done pretty well with the exception of some of the shooting scenes with the rifle. For instance, you don't hold the crosshairs on a target 50' away when the rifle has been shooting 500 - 1000 yards. You might not even be able to get a target that close in sight. Oh well, i ...more
Frank
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the best, in my opinion, so far in the Jane Whitefield series about a Native American guide who helps people obtain new identities and a new life. In this one, Jane helped a Las Vegas gambling executive, Pete Hatcher, disappear when he had discovered that his bosses were suspicious that he might reveal to the FBI some of the illegal activity known to him. But after leaving Hatcher in Denver and returning to her home near Buffalo, New York, Jane gets a hurried call from him saying that so ...more
Jeanne
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this Jane Whitefield story -- what a creative author Thomas Perry is to throw in this twist of a "dual disappear". And the ending . . . amazing how a man can take a whole different perspective on the services provided by Jane from the beginning to the end of the story. 7 out of 10.
Tony Hisgett
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review, thriller
I really liked the first two books in this series mainly because I was impressed with Jane. She is smart, strong and gets things done without messing around. Her background and her role as guide make her more interesting than a standard sleuth and make her stand out from the usual crowd of investigators.

It seems that I’m out of step with quite a few of the other people who have reviewed this book because I didn’t enjoy this story as much as the earlier books.

My problems started as soon as Jane
Kathy
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a weak finish to the trilogy. First two books are superior. I didn't want to say anything negative and was in transit when I finished this book, but circled back to note my agreement with other reviewers who have expressed disappointment.
Keri
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Elly Wendy
3* Intense, riveting action, as I’ve come to expect in this series. Hard to stop listening. But in this book, something I haven’t come across so far: humour. Clever writing creating twists that turn out funny enough to make me laugh out loud. Just a dash here and there, welcome relief from all the suspense.
Again, I appreciated the Native American, historical, and outdoor aspects.
Good one!
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
This third book in the series is the better one so far, imho. Less of her dreaming sequences, which admittedly, I’ve skimmed through, and more action. In this installment in the Jane Whitefield series, we see her get married to a doctor, Carey McKinnon, and promise him to leave her old life of “guiding” people behind. For those that don’t know, Jane “guides” good people to safety from perilous situations. This puts her and her clients in danger as most of her guiding requires breaking the law, f ...more
Julie
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-as-ebook, 2015
The first book in this series was great and I couldn't imagine how Thomas Perry could maintain the excitement and stakes through subsequent books. But he does! And so I am binge reading this series. Off to download the fourth book now.
Carly Kirk
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
So I went back and forth on whether to give 3 or 4 stars... Even though I was happy about how the story ended I still gave it 3 because of the horrible marriage Jane ties herself to. Basically most of the end of the book kept my attention, flowed well and was pretty fast paced. There was just something about most of the beginning that kept making me put the book down and wonder if I was even interested in finishing it.

My problem has to do with the relationship between Jane and Carey, supposedly
IronBlossom
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Gosh, I read this a little bit ago, actually listened to it on tape, and although I felt there were parts that were uneven (not a big fan of the boyfriend/husband storyline) overall it was good enough that I picked up a few others in the series and hope to find the first couple books as well. I did listen to this on tape, so it may be a little bit better, or a little bit worse, in print. However, overall, it kept me listening and wanting to listen (which means going running or at least walking o ...more
Sheila Beaumont
This third Jane Whitefield novel is not only the best in the series so far, but one of the best, most riveting, most suspenseful thrillers I've ever read. Thomas Perry is a very skilled writer and storyteller, and his characters come to life on the page. The story is twisty, fast-paced and compelling, but the main attraction of this series for me is its strong heroine, Jane, the intelligent, courageous, confident, resourceful half-Seneca guide who arranges for desperate, endangered people to esc ...more
LJ
SHADOW WOMAN - VG+
Perry, Thomas - 3rd Jane Whitefield

Jane Whitefield helps people to disappear. Her client this time is a Las Vegas casino executive who knows too much for the big boys at Pleasure, Inc, who have hired two assassins to take him out. Now the contract killers, Earl and Linda, are on the trail of the shadow woman, not just her client.

I really like this series. There was good suspense but I would have preferred less narrative and more dialogue. I'll definitely read the next.
Steve Payne
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF - I read the first 2 Jane Whitefield books and pretty much liked them. I got half way through this installment, looked over at the pile of books beckoning me on the nightstand and decided I'd had enough. Way too much time spent on the 3 bad guys (and gal) and not much on Jane. This was moving at a snail's pace. A whole chapter dedicated to hit-woman Linda attending a hospital charity dinner with Jane's new husband...for what?
Pam
Apr 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jane Whitefield is a Native American who helps worthy people escape horrific circumstances & adopt a new identity. She is a fascinating character, cautious but wily with a good heart for helping people. I look forward to reading the rest of the series (but in order) so I can finish up with Runner, the newest release.
Joshua
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was surprised that I didn't enjoy this book more. I typically enjoy these kinds of "thrillers," but there was something about the protagonist Jane Whitefield that I just didn't find compelling. The pacing of the story seemed a bit off, as I didn't really feel engaged until the last 50 pages or so.
Julie Kellner
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Another great Jane Whitefield novel doesn't disappoint
Lisa Oswald
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Did not finish it, so maybe I am not doing it justice. But the idea of Jane becoming a sweet little stay at home dullard just lost me. Seems like a sad end to a good character/ series.
Terzah Horton
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book and at least equal to the first two. I liked it for some of the reasons other reviewers did not, and some of the differences are philosophical (don't quit reading yet):

1) The Marriage: First of all , there is a marriage. While many male heroes get to be married, or at least have long-term bombshell girlfriends, marriage for female heroines in action thrillers is conspicuously absent. I thought Carey appeared out of nowhere in book #2, and viewing the ending of her romantic
Bill
I've previously read The Butcher Boy by author Thomas Perry. This is from a series about a Las Vegas hitman and it was quite good. Shadow Woman is the third book in his series featuring Jayne Whitefield, a shadow woman who helps people escape from life-threatening predicaments.

In this story, Jayne is in Los Vegas helping Pete Hatcher escape from a group of men who own a Las Vegas casino. This is to be Jayne's last case as she is marrying a doctor in her home town near Buffalo NY and has promised
Jeni Keisling
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Joan
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, audio
Sheila
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having recently read Mr. Perry's newest book The Old Man and loving his writing and that story, I researched and found that the Jane Whitefield series is very well rated and decided to read the series. Unfortunately I had to start with book 3 which quickly taught me I'd missed some history in the previous books. However, even so, this was a terrific story. Jane is a strong, intelligent character who has decided to marry her long time love and retire from the business of saving people who are in ...more
Pammy
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Number 3 >>> Jane Whitefield and hubby Dr Carey are taking a stab at marital bliss, but the folks needing her help just keep coming.
Jane, you see, is a 'shadow woman' who rescues the helpless and the hunted when their enemies leave them no place to hide.
This time, it's a Las Vegas gambling executive and they wind up running for their lives through the wilderness of Glacier National Park.
Thomas Perry writes with such authority and knowledge about such weird things. Through the fast pace
Lynn
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nobody can write about a hitman like Thomas Perry. This book mixes the heroic Jane Whitefield with hired killers on the trail of a man she's trying to help disappear. There's skill to admire as the bad guys trail Jane and initially I was intrigued because I love the amazing Butcher's Boy. Unlike the hero of Perry's other series, this pair of assassins are just plain cruel. The pace of this story was perfect and that's another reason to love the series.
Bonnie Wilson
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was quite captivated by the first two books in this series, which I read years ago, but this one dragged. Actually, this was a re-read, but I'd forgotten I read it. Even the remarkable Jane Whitefield is occasionally boring in this installment. The other characters are either just not very interesting or totally repellent. Still, I've ordered the 4th book in the series in the hope that this one is an anomaly.
Renato Morbach
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Big improvement on #2. Back to have a story that is plausible, and to have a good rhythm. The ending seemed a little fast, like suddenly the story must be end no matter what. Pity she got married, it was more fun when she did not had a relationship.
Norm Elpers
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shadow Woman

This is the second of three novels featuring Jane Whitefield I've read. I missed the first one but will try to find it if I can. Thomas Perry is a fine author who has a writing style I enjoy.
Andrea
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this series very much. I like the twists and turns in the plot along with a different method of thinking on Jane's part as she works to keep her clients safe.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Shadow Woman 1 1 Sep 07, 2013 06:17AM

• Welcome, Chaos
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • Nest of Vipers
  • While Drowning in the Desert (Neal Carey, #5)
  • Sweet Awakening (Tygers, #4)
  • A Bitter Feast (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #5)
  • Mandarin Gate (Inspector Shan, #7)
  • Put A Lid On It
  • Dead Water (Roderick Alleyn, #23)
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
  • Injustice for All (J.P. Beaumont, #2)
  • Desert Run (A Lena Jones Mystery #4)
  • Echo Park : Volume 1
  • Immaculate Reception (Madeline Bean, #2)
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • Dark Reservations
  • Bitch Factor
  • Cyanide Wells (Cape Perdido, #2)
Thomas Perry is the author of 25 novels. He was born in Tonawanda, New York in 1947. He received a B.A. from Cornell University in 1969 and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Rochester in 1974. He has worked as a park maintenance man, factory laborer, commercial fisherman, university administrator and teacher, and as a writer and producer of prime time network television shows.
He lives in

Jane Whitefield (8 books)
  • Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield, #1)
  • Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, #2)
  • The Face-Changers (Jane Whitefield, #4)
  • Blood Money (Jane Whitefield, #5)
  • Runner (Jane Whitefield, #6)
  • Poison Flower (Jane Whitefield, #7)
  • A String of Beads (Jane Whitefield, #8)