Start by marking “Chained (The Bureau #4)” as Want to Read:
Chained  (The Bureau #4)

Chained

(Bureau #4)

An agent for the Bureau of Trans-Species Affairs? That’s the best job in the world. And it’s enough for Terry Brandt, who doesn’t need personal relationships complicating his life. His newest assignment puts him undercover, investigating a Hollywood agent who may have some evil tricks up his sleeve.

Edge is not the man he appears to be. Although he’s a member of the Hollyw
Published April 30th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Chained, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chained

Kathleen
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great addition to this paranormal series. And my only complaint, as usual, is that it was too damned short. Highly recommended.
Kim
Apr 02, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is the 4th novella in the Bureau series, and the longest yet. You can read the stories in any order, or read any of them as standalone. If you've read the other books, you'll find a few familiar faces in this one.

This story takes place in Los Angeles in 1989. Terry Brandt loves his job with the Bureau of Trans-Species Affairs, but his new assignment brings unexpected complications. The biggest of those complications is Edge, a member of Terry's target's security staff. Be ready for question
Lisazj1
I love this series so much! As with the previous stories, Kim Fielding manages to pack a pretty powerful emotional punch wrapped in both pain and sweetness in a fairly short novella.

Terry Brandt is a young field agent with The Bureau, which investigates cases involving supernatural entities. He’s a pretty happy guy who loves his job and is just bopping along living his life, enjoying himself without too much care or worry....until he gets sent on a case where he meets Edge.

Edge is security for
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Edge is a mastiff shifter who gets abused and used by his master. But Edge never challenges his master, because Edge thinks he needs to be loyal (and Edge knows first hand, what happens to dog who stands up to his master). Until he meets Trent Brandt, who comes to Edge's master, wanting to be represented in the world of Hollywood stars. Edge doesn't know that Trent is an undercover agent of the Bureau though, but he feels like he wants to protect Trent.

I think this is the lo
Achim
3.5
Nobody can do a tormented-creature story better than Kim Fielding. This melancholicly human Boris Karloff vibe she's able to weave into the characterization of her so called monsters is beautiful and draws me in everytime she's doing that kind of magic. The balance on that delicate path between pity and empathy seems so effortless and easy if you follow her lead and Chained is no exception there. She even doesn't lead you astray with a false happy ending (don't worry, it's happy and more than
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Another satisfying paranormal romance from Kim Fielding! Someday I want to read these stories back to back but I’ll wait until the series ends, and I hope that’s not in the near future. In this story, agent Terry Brandt of the Bureau of Trans-Species Affairs is going undercover at the home of a famous Hollywood agent. Something is not right with the way he ensnares his clients so Terry i
Sherry
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I’m not always a fan of short reads, but this one really works. In less than 150 pages, the author was able to create a terrific paranormal romance with fully realized characters that had me completely hooked.

Set in 1989, Chained involves an investigation of a shady Hollywood agent by Terry Brandt, who works for the Bureau of Trans-Species Affairs. Terry at first seems rather shallow, the kind of guy who lives for his job while avoiding personal entanglements. But as the story goes on,
Terri Jones
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed every book in this series, and this one's no exception. Fielding is great at characterization, those subtle clues to deeper natures sprinkled in so that when things get dicey or details are shared, true selves shine. This story has no sex scenes, for those who want to know such things, but there is heroism. That's my favorite.

CW: sadistic beatings, ownership of persons, drug use.
Karen BookAddict
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gros coup de coeur ! Ma chronique entière bientôt...
Eric Renoult
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Je suis un grand fan des écrits de Kim, je ne suis jamais déçu et cette histoire est entraînante et envoûtante.
Nous avons ici une belle romance paranormale doublée d’une enquête. Je ne voudrais pas vous révéler l’intrigue mais sachez que le méchant est détestable. Il exploite honteusement Edge.
Celui-ci est loyal envers son maître mais le doute s’installe au fur et à mesure
Terry est un homme qui nous apparaît superficiel mais en avançant dans l’histoire on s’aperçoit que son personnage est beauc
ChaosMoondrawn
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would rate this 4 stars.

This is the fourth novella in a losely tied together series about The Bureau of Trans-Species Affairs. Usually these show the darker side of humanity. As with all of Kim Fielding's work, she draws the reader in with damaged characters. They can be read in any order.

Edge and his brothers, Duke and Holt, were bought and trained to be security. Edge has the most difficult time as "the boss" tends to abuse him the most. Terry works for the Bureau's West Coast HQ and goes un
Karen
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I’m coming into this series a bit late in the game, but I’m absolutely hooked now. I always love the atmosphere and writing style in Kim Fielding’s stories, this one was no different.
She has written this paranormal story from a very original angle, mythology-wise, than we usually get, with a different power-balance.

I really loved enigmatic Edge and seemingly naive Terry together. They’re drawn to each other, but can they trust each other? Their feelings get quite intense quite fast, b
Milly Molly
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Another great story from the Bureau series (they can all be read as stand alone books) it’s a novella length book but a lot of adventure was packed into it.
It’s set in the 80’s so the songs mentioned through out the story were ones I danced to as a teenager so I was mentally grooving along with Terry, music seemed to be as big a part of his life as it is of mine. Terry was a personable character who seemed to be like Teflon with nothing in life touching him until we learnt more about him.
Edge ha
Yvonne
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free, favourites, m-m, fantasy
After re-reading the first three Bureau stories I was ready for this next installment. And I guess I needed the knowledge of the happy endings for the other ‘monsters’ to get through this one. Kim Fielding manages to break your heart, there’s no doubt humans are the worst monsters of all, but fortunately also puts it firmly back together again. I loved Egde who knows nothing but a life of abuse and being a good dog for his owner. This changes when Terry Brandt comes into his life as an undercove ...more
Neta
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this addition to the Bureau series very much. Much like the other books it is dark and raw at parts, and it makes for a fantastic read. I love how each story has it's own vibe and timeline, it creates a depth for the world the author created with skillfully written fantasy and supernatural elements.

I loved the connection between Terry and Edge, and the complexity of humanity and canine in Edge's character. They are thrust into such a tricky situation and yet they manage to connect in t
J
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi, m-m
I've enjoyed many Kim Fielding books. This one was just okay for me, too short to develop the MC's relationship the way I would have liked and in a paranormal field I don't usually read. I haven't read any of the other books in this series and maybe that was my downfall.
Anne Sofie
James Steele
May 02, 2019
Kobie
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the whole series. depth in a short story...always impressive.
Wolfie's Mom
Evelien
May 06, 2019
Cristina
May 07, 2019
Kim Fielding lives in California and travels as often as she can manage. A professor by day, at night she rushes into a phone booth to change into her author costume (which involves comfy clothes instead of Spandex and is, sadly, lacking a cape). Her superpowers include the ability to write nearly anywhere, often while simultaneously doling out homework assistance to her children. Her favorite wor ...more

Bureau (4 books)
  • Corruption (Bureau, #1)
  • Clay White (Bureau, #2)
  • Creature (Bureau, #3)