Start by marking “The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman” as Want to Read:
The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman

The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman

NATIONAL BESTSELLER

A top journalist crosses the yellow tape to investigate a shocking high-society crime.

Billionaires, philanthropists, socialites . . . victims. Barry and Honey Sherman appeared to lead charmed lives. But the world was shocked in late 2017 when their bodies were found in a bizarre tableau in their elegant Toronto home. First described as murder-suicide --
Published October 29th 2019 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about The Billionaire Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Billionaire Murders

Start your review of The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman
MicheleReader
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As they say, sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. And in this interesting case of the deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman, we get good insight from a reporter who was there from the beginning. We get to see inside the lives of a couple who appeared to have it all and were incredibly generous. But this was a complicated family filled with lots of conflict. Sherman was a billionaire who would make huge, risky and questionable investments outside his core business simply on his gut yet drove ...more
Wendy
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
As a Torontonian with an interest in true crime and business stories, I was SO excited for a book about Barry and Honey Sherman's murders... but it ended up not wowing me. There was so much repetition across chapters that felt completely redundant and kind of annoying, and I wish it'd been edited for more brevity. My biggest issue, though, was the fact that this book came out before any actual resolutions in the case. Despite being primarily about their deaths, not much detail is given ...more
Brandon Forsyth
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Donovan does an excellent job detailing the lives of the victims, the tragic and bizarre circumstances of their deaths and the investigation that followed, and lays out some intriguing ideas about why there have still been no arrests in this high-profile case. This doesn’t feel like the definitive word on this case, but it may well further the investigation.
Steven Hepburn
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A brilliant exposé of all relevant information related to the deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman. I particularly enjoyed the authors style of switching between first- and third-person points of view to develop the backstory and his investigation. I did find parts necessarily repetitive, but I can see how this would benefit the reader if they were taking a more leisurely approach to reading the novel.
CR
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great investigative reporting!
Louise Blais
My perception

It seams that the inner police/forensic crew voluntarily didn’t conduct proper investigation because ??????? (Case closed).
Thanks Kevin for enlightening the world about the loss of this extra generous couple.
CiderandRedRot
An interesting piece of investigative journalism let down by the lack of a conclusion. Donovan, a reporter from the Toronto Star, has spent the past couple of years looking into the shocking murders of local billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman and to that extent this book feels like his cathartic need to get all that hard labour down on paper, regardless of any deciding ending. That's not a slight, more an observation; for all that this story has been picked over by the press, there's a lot ...more
Daniel Stern
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on the Sherman murders. It gives a great lead up in the lives of both Honey and Bary that only few people knew. A real eye opener about the Sherman family and their kids. A must read if you even have a slight interest in the Sherman murders. The book again shows how cheap some billionaires can be as well as giving to the Jews.
Gabriella
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent review

This book offers no lurid uninformed speculation.
Instead it is a heart rending account of what is publicly known (due to the investigative journalism of the author). One is left feeling bereft despite not having known the Sherman family.
Rhonda Pearlman
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This intriguing and fascinating book is a tribute to the Honey and Barry Sherman! It is extremely well presented and written and accurately portrays who the Shermans were. It is certainly a page turner and I would highly recommend this book.
Brian Williams
This an examination of the suspicious deaths of Toronto billionaires, Barry & Honey Sherman, in December 2017. The author Kevin Donovan is a Toronto investigative journalist. He begins with an account of the discovery of the bodies in the Shermans' home which actually happened when a realtor was taking potential buyers through the house. The writing then moves on to the police investigation. Interspersed with his reporting about the investigation he explores the victim's lives: their family, ...more
Tina
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was my November selection for a “Book & Wine Club Toronto” gathering. I thought Kevin’s insights, collection of data and intriguing questions were absolutely great. Being a Torontonian, I knew about the case “superficially” per se without much depth into the details. Having all these points now brought to my attention as Kevin did, it was both eye-opening and surreal how effed up the investigation was!!! Although at times Kevin repeated the facts, I found that with so many ...more
Tom
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a well written chronology of a cowardly act with very good background about the family history and dynamics. You could tell Mr. Donovan was paddling through precarious waters having lawsuits threatened if he made one litigious step. After living my entire life in or around Toronto, I have always admired and repected the Toronto police. After the Sherman case and the Bruce McCarthur cases, I have really changed my opinion. They really look like the Keystone Cops. Oh, and Jonathan: Whatch ...more
Jackie
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This was in-depth look into Honey add Barry’s lives. I loved the intimate details of their day to day lives, friendships, and family dynamics. As someone following the case, I was happy to learn more details from this novel, especially with respect to the gross negligence of the police investigation. I expected a type of trashy true crime novel but this book was better than expected.
Suzanne
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This was really not as compelling as I was hoping it would be. Also, Kevin Donovan doesn't seem to trust that his readers will remember information he gives them. He would repeat things he described at length only a couple of chapters before, which was tiresome.

I was interested for the first few chapters but I really glazed over after the mid-way point and just skimmed the rest.
Roberta Westwood
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
Interestingly unsatisfying...
A well researched and written book... but oddly unsatisfying. I knew going in that these murders have not yet been solved, but finishing the story felt unfinished. Who did it? And why? I am fascinated by the crime, so I did what the author knew (or hoped) I would do: buy it anyways. Perfect set-up for me to buy book 2 later, which I will probably do.
Barbara Scioli
A good read. Gives us insight to the Sherman and their generosity. Little disapointed that the author repeats a lot of the same information. Does he not think the reader has any information retention?
East Gwillimbury
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Murder, intrigue, why would anyone want to kill Honey and Barry Sherman? And in such a bizarre manner? Kevin Donovan, a top investigative reporter for the Toronto Star, lays out the facts of the murder and gives an illuminating account of the Sherman's life.
MichaelR
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent research on the lives of this couple in the context of their mysterious murders.
Victoria
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
there's next to no new information in this book, but the whole case is just fascinating and weird. still worth a read.
Chelsea Kapaun
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
This book got a bit repetitive. I felt it could have been more interesting with some editing down and refining of the story line,but still an interesting true crime story with a Canadian base.
Hannah
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting case I've been following for a while. I have my own theories and this account of the murders solidified them.

Well written and well researched.
Neida
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
While it gave a very in-depth look into Barry and Honey’s lives, I felt at the end, that there wasn’t even a glimmer of a solution. All in all, a good listen with a great narrator.
Suzanne Pearce
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found it interesting at the beginning of the book, however most of the book was very repetitive so it became boring and lost momentum just before being halfway through the book.

S
Dec 08, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Love & Courage: My Story of Family, Resilience, and Overcoming the Unexpected
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • Had It Coming: What's Fair in the Age of #metoo?
  • Ford AbomiNation
  • Red River Girl: The Life and Death of Tina Fontaine
  • From the Ashes: My Story of Being Métis, Homeless, and Finding My Way
  • Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family
  • The Forest City Killer: A Serial Murderer, a Cold-Case Sleuth, and a Search for Justice
  • Daughter of Family G: A Memoir of Cancer Genes, Love and Fate