Start by marking “Batman: Damned” as Want to Read:
Batman: Damned

Batman: Damned

(Batman: Miniseries)

The Joker has been murdered. His killer is a mystery. Batman is the World's Greatest Detective. But what happens when the person he is searching for is the man staring back at him in the mirror?

With no memory of the events of the previous night, Batman is going to need some help. So who better to set him straight than John Constantine? The problem with that is as much as J
Published September 10th 2019 by DC Black Label

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Khurram
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Awesome art work and a good concept but that is about it. Batman wakes up in in an back of a ambulance the the whole story goes to Wonderland from there.

Batman learns the Joker is dead, the witness is a hobo who is not a hobo, and the Justice League Dark cast in completely different roles. I have no I death why. Also he is seeing visions that young family life was not as happy as we previously remembered.Constantine is annoying narrator/guide on Batmans journey.

I have to say I have always hated
Chad
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, 2019-netgalley
This thing was incomprehensible. It seemed more like an excuse to show Bermejo's redesigns for DC's magic characters more than anything else. Like Joker was an excuse to redesign Batman's rogues gallery, this was an exorcise for Bermejo to get his hands on Justice League Dark. The art is fantastic, even if he does oversexualize Zatanna. Visually this book is stunning. I just doesn't tell you in more than broad stokes what was going on with Batman at all. The book is semi narrated by John Constan ...more
Artemy
Jun 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star, comics, dc
Oh boy, what a mess. Batman: Damned is a very clumsy attempt at creating an 'adult' Batman comic, and I'm not just talking about the whole Batwang controversy, or the fact that it daringly uses words like 'shit' and 'fuck'. Azzarello's writing is pretentious, the story is nearly incomprehensible, trying to pass for being deep and meaningful yet not really saying anything profound or interesting about Batman or his world. This book felt like it was written by an angsty teenager who thinks his edg ...more
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

The DC Black Label imprint allows world-class authors and artists to write stand-alone stories featuring classic DC characters. To inaugurate this imprint, the first story to embrace the logo features two exciting creators who have accomplished incredible stories on their own and now look to stun the world with a dark and horrifying tale centered around Batman. Unfortunately, a controversy surges from this story and it is nothing more irrelevant
James DeSantis
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well...just about what I expect from Azzarello on anything other than Wonder Woman.

Batman starts off hurt and of course the rest of the story just jumps around. The timeline on this story actually is really confusing. Batman is hurt, then rescued by a friend, but then random cameos that are oversexulized and a rapper version of a real big villain in the DC Lore and...you know what? This story sucks. I wasn't a fan of Joker, but this is in the same vain, with more cursing, and not all that inter
Mel (Epic Reading)
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-print
Without a doubt the most interesting part of Batman: Damned 3-part over sized comic series is the 'Batwang' seen in Book 1. Yep, I was stoked (and still love, regardless of the controversy) that we finally saw a man with no clothes on in the Batman universe. And boy is he yummy. Add in the hot sexual version of Harley Quinn we get in book 2 and I can't help but be a huge fan of the art and lack of clothing in all genders. In fact all the stars I give this series are for sexy, gritty art.

DC Blac
Chaunceton Bird
Shelves: favorites
Perfect. Everything Batman has needed to be for decades. Gone are the days of hokey daytime crime fighting and PG puzzle solving. Finally, Batman is written and illustrated with the grit, intrigue, and substance suitable for mature audiences.

The story is challenging, which is to say it requires the reader to think. The dialogue is from an unknown and (perhaps?) unreliable narrator. The narration examines the core attributes of Batman from unique angles. The depiction of familiar characters in n
Logan
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Batman book that almost crippled DC Black Label, sent Vertigo to its death, all over a guys p****! So despite the controversy, I was a little excited to read this as I did enjoy Joker and Batman: Noel, for their darker look on Gotham and it's characters. So what did I think of this book?

I will say the best part of this book is Lee Bermejo's artwork, which is just as fantastic as it was in Batman: Noel and Joker! I love Bermejo's gritty and realistic design of the world and characters. I lov
Ethan
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while you get to read something groundbreaking. Something that redefines an entire medium of literature. Or an entire genre. Or something that forever changes our perspective. Batman: Damned is one of those books. It changes comic books forever.

The story, very briefly, revolves around Joker being murdered and Batman trying to find out if he killed him and, if he didn't, who did. The story is supernatural, involving Hell and demons and Constantine. The story is very dark, and wond
Lazor Tom
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Admission: this is the first comic I have ever read. Or "graphic novel" as some call these collections. And I must say, I had no idea that a comic could be written with this level of depth. This book is incredible. The art entranced me, and the writing challenged me. Parsing out the story from the narration, and multiple characters was rewarding. I look forward to more of this.
Alan
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm going to get a couple of items out of the way early in this review. The hullabaloo over Batman's penis is way overblown. Big deal, he's not a eunuch (oh wow bet I offended a Comicsgate person there). Maybe we raised our daughter weirdly, but she knew at a young age that people have body parts. some should not be shown in public, in our view, and its nothing to be ashamed of. I do agree that there is a discussion that the scene was done more for shock/titillation value, but then I'm really ge ...more
Ryan Stewart
Sep 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Did you know Bruce's parents died? Want to experience it again for the millionth time, only this time it's the worst version and it spits on the Wayne family? Eh? EH?

Bermejo's art is phenomenal, but this story is an unbearable, incomprehensible disaster.

I find it ironic that they removed the penis from the art, but still allowed the script to suck one.
Marco
Sep 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
What?
Robert
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Already Know We're All Damned if We Do, Damned if We Don't...
Shelves: dc, hoopla
No Bat-wang in this digital edition.

The art, however, is very much the strong suit (birthday or otherwise) for this collection as the story is (mostly) hand wavy magic stuff and cameos from the usual Justice League Dark gang like the insufferable Constantine and Deadman, etc.

Bruce isn't OK

So in this story the Joker is found dead (or is he...?) and Batman is in rough shape himself, he starts to doubt himself and thinks maaaaaybe he did it? which leads to introspective reminiscing about his parents' failing m
Jen
Jul 02, 2019 added it
Shelves: netgalley, arc-sample
I’m not going to rate this yet because the preview I was given was only 23 pages and I’m not convinced that’s enough to make a decision. I will say that I’m interested in reading the whole volume, I like the dark art style and the noir feel of the story telling.
Albert
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Batman: Damned by Brian Azzarello hit the comic book stores with great fanfare and no shortage of controversy. It also launched DC's Black Label line which is something of a bastard child between DC's superhero line and Vertigo. It put our PG rated comics into R and X. Which I don't have an issue with, as long as it is done for telling the story and not shock value alone. It is into this foray that Batman: Damned wades in.

There has been a murder and the World's Greatest Detective is on the case.
Jamie Connolly
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I didn't hate it as much as everyone else. I was on the fence until I saw Batman's dong. Now I can't get enough.
mangaman
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wow I can’t believe this was this bad considering the talent involved!
Quentin Wallace
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I still haven't learned my lesson with Azzarello, even after reading the entire 100 bullets series as well as his previous Batman work. It looks and sounds cool as hell, I read it, then I wonder what I've read. Some of Grant Morrison's weirder material always seems similar.

I was really stoked when I heard about the DC Black Label line, and still am. But this one just didn't do it for me, even though the premise sounded great.

This book LOOKS fantastic. The art is stunning, visually just amazing.
Jack Bumby
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Originally reviewed on My Creative Ramblings

In 2008, Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo released Joker - which went on to be a massive hit. Now, and as part of the newly created 'DC Black Label' (an imprint for more mature readers), they've released Batman: Damned. This is a pseudo-sequel to Joker and continues the tone and world-building the pair had established - through Bermejo's luscious art and Azzarello's (potentially Marmite) edgy writing. I adored every page.

From the second you see the boo
Ramon
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I actually didn't really like it, but it's hard to give one star to such great Bermejo art. But what, or who is this book for? Black Label, Elseworlds, mature readers... why? Who was clamoring for more fetishy Bat stories? There's a new villain introduced here, I think, but she isn't named, and I'm not even sure why she's doing what she's doing but she can make statues come to life or something but she also feels like the Calypso lady from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies but less interesting ...more
Beelzefuzz
Jun 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Do you remember how Sopranos would have a crazy dream episode at the beginning of some seasons and if you kept watching you could unlock the symbolism from the dream in the real life episodes and it was all somewhat rewarding? Azzarello does too, except he misunderstood how to make it rewarding.

Batman has to make a choice, a choice we do not see until the end of the book, but one we are told he made at the start. He has a supposedly symbolic fever dream for about 150 pages and unmakes the choice
Sohan Surag
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
And here's the quasi-sequel to Lee Bermejo and Brian Azzarello's Joker, Batman Damned Hardcover. This is a great companion piece to the duo's previous Joker HC and Batman Noel and goes well with them but Joker HC is definitely the MVP when it comes to story and art. Damned, at least, art-wise, still packs a punch though. Although the story acts as an extension to the Joker HC, it doesn't completely fullfill a satiating read. It crams in a ton of supernatural 'DC beings' into a Batman story and s ...more
Woolfie Silvanus
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
What lets this graphic novel down is pure incoherence. The art is incredible, it’s visceral it’s confused it’s insane but brilliant. This is the sort of story that would benefit hugely in my opinion from an explanation video on YouTube and there is one or maybe a few. It’s very possible to be immersed in the world that Azzarello creates but at the same time it’s also extremely easy to be lost in it and to be turned around and feel as though you’re going nowhere that your mind is rebelling, pulli ...more
Tara
Jul 02, 2019 added it
This Batman story from DC Black Label features high-quality, completely detailed illustrations from Lee Bermejo and a dark, gritty mystery written by Brian Azzarello. It opens with Batman in an ambulance, and even though he quickly goes out into the city, he doesn't remember everything about the night--and learns the next morning that the Joker is dead. Flashbacks give the story even more depth, and it feels more like a horror story than an action-adventure. This series looks promising.

**Receive
A.j. Garner
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars might be a stretch plus no bat wang in the reprints/collected issues.

I liked the idea and seemed to be an interesting take on Bruce’s childhood. I feel like if it didn’t try so hard to be trippy, it would have been better. Trippy is a bad word, maybe misleading... I enjoyed it for a bit and the ending wasn’t too bad for me, but I am sure some would think it is a cop out.
Drew
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelves
The art saved this book from total damnation. With more run-of-the-mill art, this book would be worth about 1 star at best. Lee Bermejo’s work on this book is truly spectacular, standing out as some of the most beautiful, horrifying, and engrossing artwork I’ve ever seen in a comic. I would put this art up there with Kingdom Come or Adi Granov’s work, though I prefer this art to Alex Ross or Granov.

Color and light are used to gorgeous effect, the faces and musculature were amazingly lifelike, a
Batman
Shelves: books-about-me
Easily the best comic book ever written. Truly. This demands an attentive reader who wishes to discover the true nature of the Dark Knight. And the art. Goodness gracious the art. It's all just so good.
Tiferet
Fantastic art but the story was a mess.
Kristin
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 because all the effort Lee Bermejo put into his gorgeous art cannot overcome the zero effort Azzarello put into making this story make any kind of sense.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B

Batman: Miniseries (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • The Untold Legend of the Batman
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
  • Batman: The Cult
  • Batman: Sword of Azrael
  • Batman: Two-Face: Strikes Twice!
  • Legends of the World's Finest