Start by marking “Enough: Notes from a Woman Who Has Finally Found It” as Want to Read:
Enough: Notes from a Woman Who Has Finally Found It

Enough: Notes from a Woman Who Has Finally Found It

For women everywhere, a collection of fierce and often funny personal essays on finding enough, from writer Shauna M. Ahern, of Gluten-Free Girl fame.

Like so many American women, Shauna M. Ahern spent decades feeling not good enough about her body, about money, and about her worth in this culture. For a decade, with the help of her husband, she ran a successful food blog,
Published October 8th 2019 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enough

Start your review of Enough: Notes from a Woman Who Has Finally Found It
Heather F
Sep 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Ever wonder what happens when a teenage girl doesn't outgrow her "not like other girls!" phase? You get this book. Ahern comes across as petty, misogynistic, and self-important in this painful, bratty memoir.
Amy
Oct 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Poorly written, annoying, and pretentious.
Christine
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Took me a bit to get into this because someone story telling in a self help kind of way isn’t my kind of book ! Her story was sad growing up and her child skull issues frightening ! She went through a lot and came out okay at the end ! The writing was good but as I said I’m not a fan of this book at times I caught myself falling asleep ! This book wasn’t for me !
Rachel
Sep 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
A good bit of the reason I wanted to read this book is that I had read fellow food writer Ahern’s earlier memoir/self-help book, Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back…And How You Can Too ten years ago and in it, she hints about her childhood in a way that made me think it was less than rosy but didn't really get into it. I am a memoir lover (I’ve read over 35 this year alone) so I picked it up right away wanting to know more.

She certainly does flesh out her childhood in this
Danielle
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
As a fan of GFG recipes, this is a chance to learn more about Shauna and see her peel back the happy facade a bit (especially from earlier books and blog posts). It is interesting to see how her childhood struggles impacted her as a young adult and still today. Unfortunately, she seems very self-involved. There is a strong sense that she is the first person to struggle with much of what she discusses in this book - both with her family and in her personal challenges. There are also multiple ...more
Jo
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've followed Ahern's writing since her Gluten-Free Girl days and watched her grow into a writer with a clear, lucid, heart-filled, honest voice. I—along with countless others—am a serious fan of the new Shauna, who shares candid, messy, sometimes transcendent moments from her life as a mom, wife, writer, cook, and community member on Vachon Island, WA, along with social commentary from a feminist perspective. Go, Shauna!

So I was shocked when I saw very poor early reviews on Goodreads for this
Bjørn
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a mess. Wonderful, sweet, often scary mess –a journey –a life. There's no structure to this memoir-meets-personal-essays collection, but there's no structure to life either (I would know that best...) Ahern mentions towards the end of the book that she is 52 –I'm 42 and this book makes me look forward to my fifties, when hopefully I, too, will find my "enough". ...more
Rose
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh Shauna. I haven’t cried this hard in years because of a book. I felt as if I was living these moments with you. The last page... ugh the last page. I’m actively sobbing in my bookstore *with patrons in it* and I have never been less ashamed.

You strong, beautiful, badass bitch.

Spoiler alert: we are all enough.
Allison
Nov 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Couldn’t get through this, as much as I tried.
Eva
Nov 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
A fairly short, boring read. Similar to lots of memoirs out there with nothing unique or interesting to recommend it.
Melissa
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heartening read

So much in our world says we need to be something different than we are or have that one more thing to be happy. This is a book that says it’s okay to accept yourself. Shauna’s story is compelling and life giving.
Amanda (Books, Life and Everything Nice)
Thank you to a Goodreads, Sasquatch Books, and Shauna M. Ahern for ARC copy of the book. As always, an honest review from me.

Like:
- She was constantly learning about herself and the world around her, growing more
- Discusses her overbearing, emotionally manipulative mother and the effects she had on her childhood and adulthood
- Brings to light abusive and mentally ill parents
- Her mental soundtrack. All her thoughts and life lessons and daily musing that's she's chosen to share with readers
Caroline
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw myself in many places

This was an inciteful and liberating look at life, worth a read by any woman, encouraging us to be brave, honest and open, to hold out for more in some ways while accepting we are enough as we are in others. Her journey is challenging and impressive, but in some ways, the early chapters undermine this - they talk of her school years and the difficulty of not fitting in, skirting the real reasons for her difficulties (family background), and something about it feels
Patricia
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shauna seems late to the party. Late to accept herself. Late to acknowledge the truth of her childhood. Late to cash in on “Me Too” by writing a book.

Her cry of “I don’t need you!” rings so false. You do need us. You needed us to read your blog (which I now know was just a lie). You need us to comment on your Instagram. You need us to buy your book.

And I hope I never have “Enough” in the way she describe it. I never want to have enough of being the best me. I never want to have enough travel and
Beth
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway (thank you Sasquatch Books!). It is interesting to me to read about others’ lives and experiences. This was no exception. There were parts that brought tears to my eyes as I could relate to the feelings she was sharing. And there were parts that were difficult to read without thinking of the person about whom pretty harsh and disturbing things were being shared and how he/she might feel about this being made public. But I suppose that is what a memoir is! ...more
Joni
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I have celiac and I’ve followed Shauna’s work for a long time. She writes so honestly and vulnerably about what was going on behind the scenes. Also she writes unflinchingly and graciously about a truly difficult childhood. Her perspective on life is a gift and a challenge. A favorite line from the book is this one “Even though there is no basic security to the world, we can still choose to love it fiercely.”
Anna Guest-jelley
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brave, unflinching book that looks at life honestly in all its pains and down in the dirt goodness. The interplay of challenge and joy, structure and form, makes this book un-put-downable. Once I started, I set everything else aside that I could and stayed up late to finish it. Then I woke up thinking about it the next morning. This gem of a book will stay with me for a long time.
Grace
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love Shauna’s writing and have relished in her words since her early blog days. The essays skip around and aren’t really in a specific order, but I gobbled up every word. She’s raw and honest the whole way through which makes it relatable because she shares the good and bad of life, keeps it so real. Really beautifully written.
Jenn
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest, wrenching, comforting, emboldening...this is an essential book for this moment. Shauna opens her heart and her life’s story to us, and you see facets of your own experience in her story. We are all ENOUGH, and more connection to each other is the only thing that can bring us more joy in this one life we’re given.
Sara
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was more of a collection of essays than a straight up memoir, but it still had a narrative arc. It was very, very good, although about a very traumatic childhood due to her mother's mental illness. I really appreciated how open and honest her account seemed to be.
Elizabeth
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ THIS BOOK!

I have been a fan since the early Gluten-free Girl Blog days, it got me through my own journey going gfree. Enough is another wonderfully deep and real offering from Shauna that every woman can relate to on some level.
Carin
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite memoir/personal essay collection, but an insightful take on being raised by a narcissistic parent, Buddhism, the journey of life.
Megan
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Marla Elysian
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Inspiring! May God bless you, Shauna, our commonalities make me feel less alone in this world.
Oct 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disjointed, meandering
Danielle
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this raw, honest dive into her life that was also super relatable as a woman growing up in a similar time period. I plan on reading this again and again.
Becky Sawielski
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love.
Emilycorak
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was beautiful - a candid memoir about having put up with enough to looking around and realizing you have enough
stephanie ann rosendorf
Hard to put in words how powerful this book was!

This book spoke to me in so many ways and I can only imagine how many others feel the same way. Highly recommemd!
Angie Harpole
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely read this if you have had enough with all of the bullshit telling you to be a certain way. Or telling you that you aren’t enough. Or telling you you don’t have enough.

• Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back & How You Can Too
  • Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • Vanishing Fleece: Adventures in American Wool
  • The Starless Sea
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • The Dutch House
  • On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard
  • The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina—Separating the Myth from the Medicine
  • Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir
  • Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic (Art Book for Artists, Creative Self-Help Book)
  • Finding God in the Ordinary
  • Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday
  • The Book of Delights
  • It's Not Always Depression: Working the Change Triangle to Listen to the Body, Discover Core Emotions, and Connect to Your Authentic Self
  • The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)