Start by marking “Mayfair Witches Collection” as Want to Read:
Mayfair Witches Collection

Mayfair Witches Collection

(Lives of the Mayfair Witches #1-3)

Find here the original trilogy from Anne Rice's bestselling series about the lives of Mayfair witches...

The Witching Hour
Demonstrating once again her gift for spellbinding storytelling, Anne Rice makes real for us a great dynasty of four centuries of witches--a family given to poetry and incest, murder and philosophy, a family that over the ages is itself haunted by a powe
Published 1995 by Ballantine Books (T)

To ask other readers questions about Mayfair Witches Collection, please sign up.
YoKasta Martinez There is a 4th book that crosses over The Vampire Chronicles and Lives of the Mayfair Witches called Merrick. Technically speaking, that round out the…moreThere is a 4th book that crosses over The Vampire Chronicles and Lives of the Mayfair Witches called Merrick. Technically speaking, that round out the series; however, it's also the point where all of her novels start to converge into one huge supernatural universe.(less)
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
1,563 books — 4,879 voters
Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft ShelleyIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingWorld War Z by Max Brooks
Best Monster Books!
464 books — 451 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually my second time through all three of these. Having just picked up "The Prince Lestat", I realized it has been a very loooong time since I read much of Rice's stuff and I'd forgotten a number of salient points. So I began backtracking. That led me to Vampire Chronicles #7: Merrick. Merrick was a Mayfair. Not from the main branch of the family, but as we learned with Mayfairs, that is seldom reason to assume ANY Mayfair lacks "gifts".

I quickly realized how interconnected all of he
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
I have mixed feelings about this series as a whole. The first book was very solid, especially with the file the Talamasca had on the Mayfairs, it made for a well-rounded story, and remains one of my favorite of Anne Rice's novels. The ending absolutely leaves one in suspense and eager to read the next book to see what happens.

Unfortunately, Lasher turns out to be a huge rape-feat. He ties up Rowan and rapes her repeatedly, desperate to start a new race of Taltos, heedless of the effect that this
Ramona
Jun 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I should include a caveat that I only listened to the abridged audiobook set of these books (not realizing that the only Audible audiobooks for the series were abridged).

That caveat aside, definitely not my thing. I love fantasy and mystery and magic and even the occassional lascivious or libidinous description of a romantic encounter. But this book went too far, got too weird, and was too unsettling - and not in a "wow, I'm really getting lost in this dark and mysterious world and am experienci
Dacia
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
I don't think anyone in good conscience can really recommend Anne Rice to someone else....she's someone you have to hunt out and read because you want to.

I first read this in high school.....and remember why I didn't finish Lasher (the 2nd book). This book is twisted. I will say it makes you appreciate the normalcy of your family...
Alane Jewel
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
read all of the mayfairwitch/taltos novels including when blackwood farm of the vampire chronicles tied into the mix. i was in 11th grade when i first read the witching hour. hooked. after that book i read and still read all ann rices novels when theyre in hardcover. this is one of my all time fav reads to this day.
Mary  (Biblophile)
throughly enjoyed these three stories. A wonderful tale of witches and demons. I read the books many years ago and loved them. Much more details are given in the books. However, it was great to revisit these stories.
Amber
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Series. I'm sad it's over.
LOL_BOOKS
THOSE TALTOS BOOKS WERE RLY FUCKED UP.

I READ LIKE TWO OF THEM AND IDREMEMBER ANYTHING PARTICULARLY FUCKED UP HAPPENING.

EVEN WHEN SHE GAVE BIRTH TO A LANKY ADULT BREASTFEEDER WHO TIED HER UP AND RAPED HER REPEATEDLY IN THE HOPE OF HER GIVING BIRTH TO A FEMALE FOR HIM TO FUCK?

IT STARTS OFF ALMOST GOOD (FOR ANNE RICE) THEN VEERS INTO INCEST, PEDOPHILA AND RAMPANT MARY SUES, THEN SHE TIES THE WHOLE THING INTO THE VAMPIRE UNIVERSE. THEN IT BECOMES AN EXTRA SPECIAL KIND OF TERRIBLE.

LOL I FORGOT HOW TH
Carlin
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
again, these of the Mayfair witches were great
Rodrigo Fiorotto  Borges
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For me, a masterpiece by Anne Rice, the four books that make up this collection, tell an engrossing, chilling and seductive story of 13 generations of characters connected to an original entity that only the author's creativity could conceive! It is a monumental work but it is worth spending your time on it!
Nora Moore
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ann Rice a great writer, you will know all the main players intimately. I highly recommend this series but only if you appreciate very long books, which I do. You,will,enjoy every last page. Thanks, Nora Moore
Dana
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE THESE BOOKS ♡♡♡

How have I missed out on these books all these years? This series and Game of Thrones are my top two series I've ever read! And I read a ton. Thank you Anne Rice.
John
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow long Read but three great books

So many landscapes painted well by Ann Rice. New York, Paris, Rome, San Francisco, Houston and New Orleans all very well done. I felt like I was walking the streets of New Orleans with Lasher at my side.
Mell
My 3 star rating is an average for the three books. The Witching Hour is an outstanding book. The next two installments each get a little sloppier. Each sequel seems to get further from the origins of the first (and best) novel.
Bella
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Anne's descriptions of New Orleans and she pulls you into a story like no other author; however I disliked the antagonist in this story and it became just too much even for Anne Rice
Donna L Buchanan-Smith
Favorite book series of all time!
Jennifer Zandstra
I really wanted to like this series. It started off fantastic, and then just ran off the deep end.
L. Enid Rodriguez
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite books ever! Splendid writing.
Jean Waskiewicz
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second time through the series. Enjoyed it just as much as the first time. I will always read what Anne Rice writes. One of my favorites.
Tara Fitzpatrick
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved these books! Rowan in the first book is such a strong character, she has stuck with me since I read these over a decade ago (possibly two?!); time to read them again to remember why!
BBBTerri
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Angela Blount
Feb 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
If I'm being completely honest, this was a DNF at 2/3rds of the way through.

Beautiful writing, but beyond dark. Disturbed and hopeless. If I even tried to go on, I know I'd be dragged to a place I don't need or want to go.

The fact that it placed Lasher before The Witching Hour made for a confusing, non-chronological experience. But considering how progressively twisted the content becomes just from Witching Hour to Lasher, I don't care to find out how badly the downward spiral continues. On top
Amy
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I read this before all the bad Vampire Chronicles and after the good ones. I needed a break from Vampires and I've always loved witches. This is definitely a family saga--spooky and complex. I, personally love the Mayfair family, (even in the later books when it gets just downright weird) but if you put it down, you will likely not remember who belongs to which generation and who was the daughter and who was the lover, and whose head it is in the jar in the attic and whose finger, and so on. The ...more
Heidi
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful books, terrible version

I have read paperback copies of these books several times. This particular digital edition needs some serious editing. There are many little typographical errors in all three books. Many times the word he is used instead of the. Many words, lines, paragraphs and sometimes entire pages are repeated, particularly in the second book.

The story is fabulous but the editing needs serious work.
Donna Akers forstner
I fell in love with the characters in this series. I read all 2000 pages in about 3 weeks, I could not wait to find out what happened next. The story was so well written the characters took on form and life as well as hearing what was going in the room at the time. I am not a history buff, but I did get caught up in the history of the Mayfairs.

I would highly recommend this to book.

I will miss the Mayfairs.

Hayley
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anne-rice
Lori
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Mayfair Witches was the first novel I read by Anne Rice. It is LONG & DETAILED but saw that it was necessary to explain the characters as the characters IN the Mayfair witches IS THE VERY BEGINNING and an introduction of the characters for nearly all her novels hitherto.

In that way, I loved learning about how each character camne to be who they were and how they are, and play a part in her later novels.

A good read!
Tammy
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
The beginning of this book spooked me BIGTIME. I continued to read this to about pg 100, went to sleep, had the worst f'en nightmare ever. Woke the next day and promptly threw it away. Of course I was only 25yrs old and rather narrow-minded. At the ripe old age of 43 I still aint gonna read it but I had to give it 3.5 stars if only for the fact that not much creeps me out.
On a personal note: I have issues with Ms. Rice but I cannot deny her excellent writing skills.
Heather Rauch
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked the first 3/4 of the first book despite the unnecessarily descriptive sex scenes. Then it got too weird. I skimmed/skipped to the end of the second book to read what happened to the main characters. Then the third book started by introducing a few very engaging characters that kept me reading. But by then the author had already mostly lost me so there was a lot of skimming/skipping to get to the end.
Mariah Strand
Aug 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book is so pompous it's rediculous. Rice gets in the way of herself all throughout this book. She's so busy weaving this family tree that she bores me. This is the second time I've tried to read this book and just didn't give enough of a damn to trudge through it. Got over half way this time...
Before I buy this... 4 37 Sep 25, 2012 11:26AM
  • The Witches' Companion
  • The Princess Diaries Collection (The Princess Diaries, #1-10)
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • Interview with Anne Rice
  • Instructing Adam
  • Suicide Ride: The Fix (Suicide Ride #2)
  • Kaden's Breeder
  • Beauty's Release (Sleeping Beauty, #3)
  • The World Rose
  • Last Act
  • The Blyss Trilogy Boxed Set
  • Ghostbusters, Volume 1: The Man From The Mirror
  • 9 Lives (Undying Love, #2)
  • Clouds in My Coffee (Limbo, #2)
  • Ghost Light
  • Devoted (Devoted, #1)
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more

Lives of the Mayfair Witches (3 books)
  • The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1)
  • Lasher (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #2)
  • Taltos (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #3)
“He got away with those affairs because he was never inattentive to Ellie. Some of the other guys around here should take a lesson from that. What women hate is when you turn cold to them. If you treat them like queens, they’ll let you have a concubine or two outside the palace.” 1 likes
“It’s Stella. Stella’s got the gift and she’ll get everything when I die.’ ‘And what’s the gift, Miss Mary Beth?’ my mother asked her. ‘Why, Stella’s seen the man,’ Miss Mary Beth said to my mother. ‘And the one who can see the man when she’s all alone inherits all.” 0 likes