Start by marking “Hook (Neverland, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hook (Neverland, #2)

Hook

(Neverland #2)

Journey back to Neverland, NC with NYT & USA Today Bestselling Author Gina L. Maxwell as she turns your favorite villain into the hero you never knew you needed.

THEY CALL ME HOOK.

I’m Captain of the Pirates; a villain by design and a loner by nature.

I don’t need anyone. More than that, I don’t want anyone. Especially Officer John Darling who insists on seeing the good
Kindle Edition
Published October 2019 by Gina L. Maxwell, LLC
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Hook, please sign up.
Gina L. Maxwell Sorry for the delay, Aeriel, but I'm happy to say that HOOK is finally live! Thank you for your interest in my books. :)

Start your review of Hook (Neverland, #2)
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4 STARS

He is my Captain. And for as long as he’ll have me, I am his.

If you know me or follow my reviews, than you already know just how much I love a good tortured hero. And let me tell you, it doesn't get more tortured than James Hook. The man is tortured personified. He's utterly broken in the most captivating way. The second he appeared on the pages of Pan, he stole the show, and I was counting down the days until I could get my hands on his story. I've read a few modern fairytale
Kate Meader
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking and uplifting all at once. As always, Gina's writing is immaculate and these characters' journeys will grip you all the way to their hard-won HEA. Loved every minute!
Cassie
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with London and Neverland North Carolina from the first paragraph of Pan. I have also been anticipating Hook from about 30% into Pan. Any seasoned author can incorporate wonder into a book for a side character, but Maxwell laced bits of Hook so perfectly that he was in my head throughout the rest of Peter’s book and the subsequent months after as I waited for this story to be completed.

Lots of authors write the tortured hero. None are quite like Captain James Hook though. He has
Mandy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok can I just give this book ALL the stars? I am blown away by the perfection Gina L. Maxwell gave us with this one. Her best work to date in my opinion. I absolutely could not put it down...and didn’t want it to end.

I’ve been dying for Hook and John’s story, and they were off the charts amazing. Hook is the tortured bad boy criminal with a devastating past, and John is the good boy clean cop who has always crushed on the man they call Captain. When an FBI investigation forces John to go
Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~
Hook by Gina Maxwell was a very dark, intense and disturbing read. I will warn you….. for those of you who are triggered by child abuse of a sexual nature you may want to be extra cautious. While there is no current abuse, there are flashbacks. That said, the flashbacks are not all explicitly graphic, however the author is very talented at painting the picture regardless. There will be no mistaking what you’re reading about.

I praise Gina Maxwell for the boundaries she crosses in her writing.
Shelves: 2019-arc-reads
I have been waiting for Hook ever since I finished the first book in this series, Pan, where we first meet John Darling and "Captain" Hook. G Maxwell has done an amazing job of creating a modern-take on this classic tale, and these characters surprised me in every way. I was glued to this story. Not only can G Maxwell write MM romance flawlessly, but she does it with deep emotion, and with real and raw feelings that you can't but help feel through the pages.

There are so many layers to
Stacie
4+ "Live in the light." Stars!

Goodness. What can I say? This book hurt my heart. James Hook had to endure the unimaginable way too often in his life. My heart just bleeds for him. The hope that he was going to find some peace and light drove me on throughout this book.
John... thank goodness he was a stubborn, determined and insightful man. I loved both James and John.

I guess you can tell my description of Hook, this book has some dark elements that may be triggers for some. - (view spoiler)
Malissa
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast and furious, just finished.

I knew Hook’s story was going to be a bit of a roller coaster, but I didn’t realize just how meaningful it would be. Hook’s story isn’t just about overcoming, its about learning to believe in your own self worth, learning to trust that others can care for you, and most importantly learning to let your heart feel, both pain and joy.

I know from her posts this was a challenging book for Gina to write and I’m so proud of her for taking the extra time to make sure it
Alexandra
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I'd rather be ruined by James Hook than be safe with anyone else." ~John Darling

I was intrigued by this book from the second I saw the cover and totally ready to dive in after reading the blurb. I've always loved the anti-hero, the flawed character with a chip on his shoulder but a secret heart full of gold. Gina has taken a beloved classic character and totally made me fall in love all over again!

This story is gritty and heartbreaking but also so full of hope and redemption. Hook and John are
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book. I don't know the last time I cheered so hard for two characters to get together. Hook believes he is broken beyond repair, but John Darling is the perfect person to slowly, gently make him whole again. Although the characters are playfully based on the characters in the children's story, the themes of abuse get pretty dark. The author offers an alternative chapter if the reader would rather not read a particularly sensitive flashback. Kudos for this and for also having ...more
Christine D
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wicked Hook and darling John = so very intense.
I usually do not enjoy romances that are this dark but these characters are written so well and Gina Maxwell has done a really nice job on the reimagining of these characters in a contemporary setting. This series surprised me and is going to be gooooood.
I love her writing and this book was no exception.

I say 3.5 stars only because it has quite a bit of heavy subject matter, which, as reader was expected, but still difficult to read at times.
Rebecca
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like most of you, Hook by Gina L. Maxwell has been on my mind since finishing Pan and reading the bonus epilogue to get just a bit of insight into the tortured Hook and the man who wants to be the one to help save him. Unlike you, I’ve been privy to Hook and John’s journey from the start; I’ve been just a message away as Gina L. Maxwell painstakingly worked to be true to Hook and John’s character, to truly illustrate just how much Hook loathes himself, even though he tries to hide his pain, his ...more
Heather M Jones-Lancto
I usually do not read M/M storylines. I read one once that was poorly written so when a series has a book that is M/M centric I usually skip over it. When I read Pan I fell in love with Hook. There was no way I was going to skip his story. Gina Maxwell did not disappoint.

James Hook’s story is a hard one to read. With a drug addicted mother who died leaving two young children, James was forced to look out for his two year old brother. They find themselves in a loving home, with caring
Calli Wolfe
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I discovered Gina, I've loved her books. She has a style and tone to her writing that really grooves with my own inner voice, making those books easy and fun to read. I really enjoyed Pan as well, loving the modern-day take she had on these classic literary characters.

There was much hype about Hook's book and I was excited to dig in, especially once I started seeing Gina's posts about writing it on social media. And the hype was not in vain because this book blew my doors off.

Gina
LostForReal
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, action
A gay retelling of Peter Pan... Who would have thought it would turn out so good?!

I am a fan of retellings. Especially gender swapping ones. Though I can't say I would use Peter Pan as the basis. Maybe it's because despite discovering how adult-content are some fairytales (for example Red Riding Hood just as a big metaphor - and a cautionary tale for girls - about deflowering, like, you know, I am gonna "eat" you, little girl) there are still a few I would have a hard time picturing as a
Lovinghotbooks1
Shelves: ig, kindle, arc
Hook’s story is all I wanted and more........
I’ve waited for this story and I was NOT disappointed, Maxwell has created a story about a hero that can’t see himself as anything but a villain. John helps Hook in so many ways and the relationship building between them throughout the book is heartbreaking and raw but holds a hint of what can be.
The storyline is excellent and I have problems putting it down.
No unnecessary descriptions of surroundings
Good and plenty of dialogues
I’ve got to know
Savannah Maris
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hook was everything I wanted it to be...adventurous, sexy, suspenseful, full of emotion. I could not have asked for it to be better. Half way through, I knew what I needed to make it a true HEA, and Ms. Maxwell delivered. And proves yet again why she's my go-to author.

Thank you for taking me on such a ride that I lost myself in the story and could even put myself in it. The descriptions, the emotions, made me feel as if I were in the middle of everything that was happening.

Thank you, Ms. Maxwell
Melanie Helms
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy shiz nit. This was a really hot book. M/M if yall didnt catch that. But holy moly i loved it. So so good. Worth the wait and everything. I loved James Hook and John Darling. These guys were the perfect pair. I loved seeing Pan and Wendy. Can i just say im really excited for the other Neverland books!
Nena
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It was everything I was expecting from the second book in this series. It was hard to read at certain points as it deals with some serious issues and your heart will break. However it has a beautiful HEA.
Marian
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sooo good. Can't wait for Tink now. Thanks to Gina for constant updates on Twitter as to books progress and release!
Michelle
Good book, likable characters. I enjoyed this one a bit more than Pan. I thought Pan was a little too much in the fairy tale version, this one stood out on its own much more.
Mia
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC REVIEW

This book shook me to my core.
Here I thought ‘Pan’ was the best book I had read from this author, she had to go and up her game creating this incredible masterpiece.

‘Hook’ by Gina L Maxwell is the second book in her retelling in a unique and new way of the lives of the famous Peter Pan tale characters.
If you haven’t read the first book in the series, then you are doing something wrong with your life that should be rectified ASAP.

‘Hook’ follows the life of one of our favorite villains
Paula Reid
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Lost Boy finally found.

Hook (Neverland Series Book 2)
Gina L Maxwell

There are so many things I want to say about this book, I don’t know where to start.
Firstly there needs to be a special star rating for books like Hook, 5 stars just doesn’t do it justice. I haven’t had a book capture my attention, my heart & my tears as much as this one has in years.
The story of Hook is so tragic & beautifully sad, Yes, he’s an asshole to almost everyone and nobody questions it because that’s just
Nayab
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A while ago I posted a quick review of Hook in which I said that Gina always manages to one up herself every time she writes something new, now, as a reader? I adore that but as a reviewer I’m over here all nervous because how can I review the book without sounding like a broken record to myself and to my blog followers)?

That’s why I put off writing this review until now. Which, if I’m writing the review now, then surely I’ve found a way to review without this review sounding like one I’ve
Caffeinated Fae
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault, Child Abuse, Murder, Abuse, Angst, Drug Use

As many of you know, I've been waiting anxiously for Hook to come out! I was one of the lucky bloggers that Gina gave a copy to in exchange for an honest review. I read Pan earlier this year and fell completely head over heels for Gina's writing, and I've been shoving Pan down everyone's throats because it is that amazing! Now, full disclosure, I have only read one other M/M romance, so I wasn't sure what to expect. All
Leah M
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For my full review, visit:

Most kids grow up with the iconic story of Peter Pan, but Gina L. Maxwell’s Hook has reinvented a classic with a decidedly adult spin. While this is book #2 in the Neverland Series (mental note, I need to obtain book #1 immediately), it also works perfectly as a standalone book.

’ve read a lot of romance novels in my day, mostly in my younger years. The plots aren’t always thrilling, since they tend to be utterly predictable and
Garden Of REden
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**OFF THE CHARTS

** CASSIE'S REVIEW

Lots of authors write the tortured hero. None are quite like
Paige Turner
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on Pan, you may have had preconceived notions about Hook but he isn't what he seems. There are certain characters in books that you want to reach in and hug. I found Hook to be one of them. Hook hasn't had the easiest of life and he's often making it more difficult. He's beyond broken but still is a sweetheart by always looking out of his brothers he has a dominating and rough around the edges personality- which I loved! Of course this bad boy would fall for an equally dominant guy, who is ...more
Megan Gemperline
A great story that packs punch

Okay, look. I've liked Gina's books for a few years now. Up until now, I would have said that her book Ruthless was my favorite.

But ....oh my goodness. Hook blew it out of the water and blew me away. I wasn't reading characters, I was reading humans that she just happened to write about.

Every time I thought that was it for gut punches, along came another that I didn't see coming and yet I took gladly.

Hook is the story of a man who thinks he is broken and doesn't
Pat
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has so much anger, hatred and sadness, and that’s all in one character! Hook is broken, and his way of dealing with it is to be surly, a loner with a giant chip on his shoulder, till John Darling manages to start to crack his heart. He knows Hook’s inner person that is begging for acceptance and love, but refuses to give it back. The person he hates the most of anyone in this world is Croc. A cruel monster of a man, that thrives on hurting people, especially children. His whole life he ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Unscripted
  • A New Empire (Fog City, #3)
  • Adore (On My Knees Duet #2)
  • #Fate (GearShark, #6)
  • The Guy in the Window
  • Sink or Swim (Beach Kingdom, #3)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Chicago Rebels #4.5)
  • Lethal Balance (Sons of the Survivalist, #2)
  • Man Cuffed (Man Hands, #4)
  • Reunion (Ace's Wild #7)
  • Christmas in the City
  • Insatiable (Cloverleigh Farms, #3)
  • Worship (On My Knees Duet, #1)
  • Moonlighter (The Company, #1)
  • Spun Out (Blacktop Cowboys, #10)
  • Shelf Awareness (Green Valley Library, #4)
  • Bailey (Confessions, #6)
  • Wicked Sinner (Dangerous Love, #2)
Gina L. Maxwell is a full-time writer, wife, and mother living in the upper Midwest, despite her scathing hatred of snow and cold weather. An avid romance novel addict, she began writing as an alternate way of enjoying the romance stories she loves to read. Her debut novel, Seducing Cinderella, hit both the USA Today and New York Times bestseller lists in less than four weeks, and she’s been ...more

Neverland (3 books)