Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~'s Reviews > Hook

Hook by Gina L. Maxwell

bookshelves: arcs, mm-romance

Hook by Gina Maxwell was a very dark, intense and disturbing read. I will warn you….. for those of you who are triggered by child abuse of a sexual nature you may want to be extra cautious. While there is no current abuse, there are flashbacks. That said, the flashbacks are not all explicitly graphic, however the author is very talented at painting the picture regardless. There will be no mistaking what you’re reading about.

I praise Gina Maxwell for the boundaries she crosses in her writing. These details are not easy to read, so I know that are even that much more difficult to write. that being said, I read a review copy but I understand in the original finished copy has an alternate chapter.

This book brought forth many emotions the most prominent being anger, and heartbreak. So, you are probably wondering why I read such a book? Life isn’t always painted with blue skies and butterflies. Sometimes we need reminders that this world isn’t perfect. Books like Hook bring that reality into perspective. And when we are given a beautifully written, believable happy ending our feeling of joy and elation will be that much more appreciated. I praise this author for writing realistic and believable text.

Hook is one of my favorite MM romances. Hook was a character whose whole purpose in life was to protect those around him. No matter how high and despicable the cost. Hook is a criminal by trade but not by choice. He is careful not to let people too close knowing the end will result in more despair for him and those he loves.

John Darling had a connection with Hook since they were children. But it wasn't until more than a decade later these two amazing men would be able to explore a relationship, albeit extremely carefully. I don’t want to give any of the story away. This is a book you’ll want to read without any spoilers. I don’t even want to comment on the last chapter; the ending. I will say that while I was pleased how things are going well for John and Hook, I am anxious for the next book in this series to assure me they are still going strong.

Hook is book two in Gina L. Maxwell’s Neverland series. The first book titled, Pan is Peter and Wendy’s story. It is also where we learn the dynamic of the Lost Boys, Hook and his pirates and the evil that is Fred Croc. Hook is a standalone but I think you’ll get more out of the story if you read Pan as well.

This is my honest and unbiased review. Thank you for taking the time to read it. 

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hook.

May 18, 2019 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
May 18, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
October 29, 2019 – Started Reading