Start by marking “Object-Oriented JavaScript” as Want to Read:
Object-Oriented JavaScript

Object-Oriented JavaScript

Create scalable and reusable high-quality JavaScript applications and libraries using the concepts of object-oriented programming. This book is for the beginning to intermediate web developer who wants to solve web development problems with smart JavaScript. It does not assume any prior knowledge of JavaScript programming; however even if you already know some JavaScript, ...more
Published July 24th 2008 by Packt Publishing (first published July 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Object-Oriented JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Object-Oriented JavaScript

Start your review of Object-Oriented JavaScript
Craig Cecil
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computers
I bought this book on the promise of its subtitle—specifically, that it would provide useful information regarding building a robust, custom JavaScript library for an enterprise. I was hoping that it would provide an ongoing example library that would be built up over the course of the book. No such luck. But, that doesn't mean it isn't a good book—just that the subtitle may be a little misleading. Stefanov does a good job of describing important JavaScript concepts such as prototype chaining, a ...more
Georgi
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Pretty thorough overview of JavaScript and its object-oriented features. Covers some well-known design patterns, including ones from the "Gang of Four". I'd recommend it to anyone who's serious about the language.

I wish it didn't draw so much attention to trivial stuff, related to the language itself. Given the title, I was surprised to see that half of the book deals with "JavaScript 101". Nevertheless, the intermediate JS developers can easily skip the first chapters.
Oluwaseun Popoola
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a great book. Learned a lot from it especially namespacing.
Moses Wong
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The last few chapters was rather difficult to comprehend. Overall, i would say this book goes straight to the point.
Andrew
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I got this book for free some time ago. I decided to read it this week, since I needed to brush up on my JavaScript skills. It's a bit out of date at this point, but it does a good job of covering the JavaScript basics with some good information on best practices for object-oriented development in JavaScript.

I would say that it's not a bad book to read, if you need to learn some JavaScript fundamentals, or if you need a good reference for JavaScript and DOM basics. I wouldn't recommend paying f
Daniel Lee
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginning to intermediate programmers
The book is great for beginning to intermediate programmers who want to start working in JavaScript. I found it made for pleasant, light reading without lacking in substance. It's full of general information and good tips explained easily enough that you can read it through and remember most of what you've read, but organized so that you can easily find details if you need to look them up later.

It starts by explaining some of the basic concepts of working with JavaScript, what kinds of concepts
Julio Biason
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, it
Javascript is a weird language. Good practices make a weird language easier to understand and read. That's why I was interested in writing OO JS code.

Thing is, this book is not just about OO. There is a bunch of "hey, if you never heard about JS, here is how it works", which I believe is kinda pointless (there are plenty "Starting with JS" books these days), there is a bunch of browser objects (which, although "objects", I don't believe they are necessary to write OO JS code) and there is plenty
Shenyu
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book reminds me The Principles of Object-Oriented JavaScript. Both of them explain the most crucial points like function, object and prototype quite deeply. Although the one written by Nicholas is more famous, I think this book gives more details.
But the cons of this book is that... there are too many code snippets without indents. It makes some parts of this book really difficult to read.
BTW: This book doesn't cover features introduced in ES6.
Joe White
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
excellent for organized presentation of syntax; oo concepts; coverage of closures and patterns. Complaints: the pattern info was very brief and felt very rushed; more examples would have helped. Throughout, the examples were very brief but very pertinent to the point being explained. However if you don't immediately catch how something is working then you will have to search elsewhere.

This book combined with something like the javascript bible + lots of practice could make a very good js program
Allan
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well written, well organized, and good examples.
The 1st edition is getting a little dated (2008), so it was
nice to see the 2nd come out.

Contrary to what one of the other
reviewers said, it's main focus IS the object oriented
aspects of javascript. In the 2nd ed, only the first 62 pages
are the basics and the rest of the 300 (excluding appendix)
deal with higher order functions (functions and function closures
count as OO material) and objects.

It is an intermediate book, and you shouldn't be learning
Amet Alvirde
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lo leí por recomendación de Jeffrey Way, menciona que es su libro favorito sobre el tema, y aunque no sé si sea el mío, al menos expande tus horizontes de una manera increíble, Javascript, como sabemos, dejó de ser un lenguaje para convertirse en EL lenguaje de un tiempo para acá. Cualquier desarrollador con ánimos de triunfar en el medio debe dominarlo y este libro es una gran ayuda. Va desde lo básico hasta cosas muy específicas que solo podría ser adquirido fuera de este libro por medio de la ...more
Dan Jones
A little dated in a few places.
Also, a couple places advocates not best practices, although that's mostly due to it targeting ES3.
When it got to the actual object-oriented stuff, it was a bit much. Instead of "here's how you make objects in JavaScript. This is a constructor. This is inheritance.", it was more like, "here are five million different ways to do objects" without ever explaining best practices.
Finally, when it introduced JSON, it didn't get the format completely right.
However, all in
Andrey Zaharov
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is nice entry-level book, that includes not only description of what object-oriented JavaScript is, but also has a very good introduction of JavaScript language fearures itself . I found the book rather usefull, and reccomend it for every beginners in JavaScript world, because the author use many usefull examples about how many important language features work. It's very easy to read and understand.
Alessandro Pellizzari
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Molto approfondito e completo, soprattutto per quanto riguarda l'argomento proncipale: la OOP.
Forse un po' confuso il capitolo su DOM e BOM, ma viene comunque trattato in tutti gli altri manauali di Javascript. Volendo se ne sarebbe anche potuto fare a meno, se non fosse servito come ampia spiegazione del pattern observer.
Le appendici sono tanto utili che forse meriterebbero di essere un manualetto a parte.
caisah
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's definitely one of the best dive into JavaScript books I've ever read. If you've just begun using JS there is no other book I would recommend.

It is a beginner/intermediate level book so if you are looking for something much more advanced it's not the perfect choice although there are some things that you might learn from reading it..
Tyler
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to object-oriented Javascript. If you're familiar with Javascript, you'll fly through the first bit, but it's a good build up to the basic concepts behind Javascript plugins and frameworks.
Iman Mh
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
The only star that I don't give to this book is because of last chapter "Design Patterns". It is not complete and attractive enough but the rest of the book and specially OO parts are the best I've ever seen.
Miroslav
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my first OOP Javascript related book. I had to do with OOP javascript before and it was a bit difficult for me to understand the way it is achieved in this language.

This book cleared my questions and helped me dive into that great language.
Nick Carter
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the JavaScript book I recommend everyone read. Shows damned near every way of doing things like inheritance, lazy functions, encapsulation and more, but manages to be very enjoyable and accessible.
Evgeniy Vasilev
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice introduction to JavaScript.
Pandu Pradhana
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Essential for those who want to master the JavaScript programming language
Sheldon
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-development
Excellent book for those that are trying to learn or even trying to refresh their JavaScript skills. It goes into the right amount of detail with great examples, and is not too long of a read.
Kornelije
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book for learning javascript
Ivo Stoykov
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer, programming
Another great book! Great author. Must read for every web (and not only) programmer
Truad
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Learn hard topics with this super easy to be digested book.
Steve Blades
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
perfect for those just learning, or taking the step to higher practice
Zachary Feuerborn

• Learning Javascript Design Patterns
  • JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual
  • The Rational Unified Process Made Easy: A Practitioner's Guide to the RUP
  • The Principles of Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • Developing the Leaders Around You: How to Help Others Reach Their Full Potential
  • Microsoft Visual C# 2013 Step by Step
  • Starting an Online Business All-In-One for Dummies
  • Leadershift: The 11 Essential Changes Every Leader Must Embrace
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
  • The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference (2nd Edition)
  • Unlocking Agility: An Insider's Guide to Agile Enterprise Transformation
  • Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
  • Ty jesteś marką
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Indian Economy

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »