Start by marking “When You Ask Me Where I'm Going” as Want to Read:
When You Ask Me Where I'm Going

When You Ask Me Where I'm Going

Perfect for fans of Rupi Kaur and Elizabeth Acevedo, Jasmin Kaur’s stunning debut novel is a collection of poetry, illustrations, and prose.

scream
so that one day
a hundred years from now
another sister will not have to
dry her tears wondering
where in history
she lost her voice

The six sections of the book explore what it means to be a young woman living in a world that doesn’t
Published October 1st 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about When You Ask Me Where I'm Going, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Ask Me Where I'm Going

Start your review of When You Ask Me Where I'm Going
Beatrice Masaluñga
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Beautiful and emotionally powerful.

From beginning till the end, I’m drawn by this collection. Its message was so loud and clear that it creeps into my heart and soul. Admittedly, it was quite draining especially when the author talks about violence and mental health. Each poems felt personal and that makes this collection even more precious. So much feels.
Sara Jovanovic
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt one of the strongest collections I read this year. I only recently heard of Jasmin Kaur because of her poem Scream, and I knew I had to check out her debut as soon as it comes out. Her writing style is flawless and she effortlessly manages to incorporate so many strong emotions into her pieces. This was a really unique poetry collection, and one that made me feel a lot. I loved how Jasmine wrote this using many different forms, not strictly poems. They had a depth to them and I l ...more
The Nerd Daily
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Beth Mowbray

When You Ask Me Where I’m Going is a thought-provoking debut novel which weaves together poetry, prose, and illustrations in a rare and extraordinary fashion. The foundation of this book is the narrative of a young immigrant mother escaping a history of trauma to live undocumented and raise her daughter in North America. This core body of prose is surrounded by poems and artwork that explores and embraces a broad range of issues rela
Damanpreet Singh
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars. As a brown man, I learned a lot about the challenges that Sikh women face through reading this book and it was a humbling experience. This book needs to reach kaurs, South Asians and the rest of the world. It's so amazing to see our experiences as Punjabis captured in a book like this. The poetry was deep and insightful into the author's mind as a young, Punjabi woman living abroad. The short story of Kiran and her daughter left me wanting more. Even though we only saw a short amount ...more
Jaiden Shahi
Tanya Scrimbit
Apr 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
This beautiful poets words touch my heart on such a profound level, I always go back to a time in my life where I really needed those kind and gentle words for my fragile soul. As I near 48, the words speak to my 25 year old inner self on levels I'm still discovering and coming to terms with. Thank you Jasmin for taking me back to a place I'm still learning to be at peace with. To a place I am still nurturing, forgiving, learning to love and most of all learning to understand. I always look forw ...more
Manveer Sihota
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is impeccably written and it’s flow is smoother than butter! It’s always amazing seeing the perspective of women of colour in a society where their voices are often drowned out. On top of that, this book gives voice to a Sikh woman, which is an underrepresented group within an underrepresented group. All in all an amazing read! Definitely recommend.
Harsharin Kaur
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In terms of layout and content, this book is unlike any book that I've read before! I loved how Jasmin didn't stick to the typical structure of a book, and there was an interchange of poetry, prose, illustrations, and short story. The book left me quite somber, and each and every piece of writing had me in a reflective state.
Sahibajot Kaur
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jasmin Kaur’s ability to capture emotion with such depth, intensity and clarity, creates a reading experience of joy and wonder. Having read nuggets of her poetry on Instagram, I can’t wait to get my hands on this book!
Erika Sarutobi
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazingggg~
A definite must read if you like instapoetry or powerful poems

RTC
Debbie
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry

This poetry/prose collection is so emotive and powerful, and one of the best examples I’ve seen of modern poetry done right. While some of the poems followed the easily relatable “Insta poetry” pattern, they had much more depth and layers to them than I’ve found in other collections, and therefore left a more lasting impression rather than feeling so accessible or relatable that they became generic.

I saved most of my favorite poems as Kindle highlights, but a few were incorporated into
Tamin Atwal
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jasmin Kaur speaks and writes very eloquently. Her writing style touches the heart and makes a huge social statement at the same time. Hey writing has the ability to move you to tears. For this I'm so excited to get my hands on this book! 💕 I can't wait.
GURVINDER
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eagerly anticipated! If Jasmin’s previous works are anything to go by, this will surely be an enthralling read.
Damanjit Singh
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
can't wait to finally read this book! jasmin kaur is a talented story teller, organizer, educator, and poet whose deft economy of words bears the weight of multitudes of human experience.
Amy Bruestle
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First off, let me say that I was given this book in exchange for an honest review...

And boy oh boy am I glad! I love writing poetry myself, at least I used to. I haven’t written any in a while, but now that I have read this it makes me want to get my poetry journal out and see what I can come up with! That is saying a lot, because I really don’t get inspired easily!

This book was extremely POWERFUL and MEANINGFUL. At least to me it was. Such profound poetry and important truths and realities bei
Chloe
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not much of a poetry reader, but this book definitely pushed me to re-evaluate my stance on contemporary poetry. Jasmin Kaur packs so many relevant, hard-hitting topics into a small number of words. Each one felt carefully selected and beautifully expressed. Between the illustrations, poetry, and sections of prose, the book is so varied it never gets tiresome. What captivated me most though was the fictional story of Kiran and Sahaara. My only wish is that it was longer! It felt a little dis ...more
Casey, with a book
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
A collection of illustrated poems and prose in the vein of #instragrampoets like Rupi Kaur (and less-so Elizabeth Acevedo, as the comp states). I generally find this genre of poetry oversimplified and not particularly artful, but I do appreciate how topical it is and I think it will resonate with teens and those with whom Rupi has struck a cord.
Arjun
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Jasmin for a long time and have always found her poetry profound and enthralling. I can't wait to get this book!
theliteraryartisan
This was brilliantly read by the author and astonishingly, it had a lot of Indian pride in this and that is a motif of this poetry collection. It made me feel so proud to be an Indian and I am glad I read this for the Indian Lit Readathon and Diverseathon. I will say that my attention and interest in it did waver a bit in the middle because I felt the storyline shifted from where it actually started.

However, it was the last 30 minutes of the audiobook that packed a punch. Kaur talks so lyrically
Olivia
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/yafict...

WHEN YOU ASK ME WHERE I'M GOING is an absolutely gorgeous collection that reaches to touch the soul. In poems, prose, and drawings, Kaur evokes a multitude of emotions from laughter to tears in beautifully written and illustrated words. It is hard to do this collection justice, but I feel as though I have peeked inside someone personal journal and left feeling all new feelings and with such depth.

What I loved: Putting into words ho
Cátia Vieira
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
'When You Ask Where I'm Going' by Jasmin Kaur approaches many different topics (from feminism, to mental health, sexual assault and identity) under many different formats but one of the things she talks about is exactly that: take time, take your time to fully appreciate and just be. This book is filled with poems, illustrations and prose. This miscellany of genres and forms of expression represents our diverse and plural identity.

Like Kaur's book, we aren’t one thing. We are immense. We are man
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book and chose to review it. This in no way impacts my opinion.

I absolutely loved this. It had such a good mix of poetry that spoke from the heart of someone who wanted to be heard as a person and as an immigrant. I loved the mix between the poetry, illustrations, and prose. I feel like I will get more out of this each time I read it.
Jasjit Mankoo
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to finally read this book, I've been a fan of Jasmin Kaur's work ever since I discovered her on Instagram. I'm very excited to own the collection when it is released.
Gugan Kaur
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jasmin’s work is amazing! Really appreciate the work and space she creates for brown women!
R Singh
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very well written book which is very thought evoking - as is always to be expected from any of Jasmin Kaur’s work. A must read!
Cecilia Gray
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jasmin Kaur’s talent amazes me! In her book she displays a vast variety of poetry, creative writing, and illustrations that left me speechless. Her writing is extremely powerful and unafraid of divulging what is on her mind. This book explores themes of feminism, social justice, and mental health, and strikes the truth on each subject.

Reading this, I saw my thoughts and feelings being put into beautifully written and illustrated pieces, along with thought provoking pages that opened my eyes to n
ellie
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-release, poetry
how do you feel today?
(like my lungs are not collapsing. like
everything is not a mistake. like i am not
a mistake. like i do not need to erase myself
to fix myself. like i am not a single branch
floating in an upset sea. like there is something
right out there. that maybe. just maybe.
it is for me.)

...we are all colored in different shades of compromise...that fear overrides truth. that we deal ideals like decks of cards / abandoning the hands that no longer work / in our favor as easily as lied wh
Samihah
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
this book is a gift. so beautiful & powerful, taught me a lot & replenished my creative energy.

"i imagine all the women i came / from the way a
young girl may remember me one day. she will
paint stories with the tips of her fingers and perhaps
never reach the naked truth / but she will know
what she is capable of / because of the way she can
dream about each of her past selves."
Sagarika
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This book, the verse, it reminded me of home.⁣ Of the a kind of solace you find in pain and hurt and violence. In the quiet reflections in the aftermath of tragedy. ⁣

Home, as a concept, is fractured for me. Born in India, raised there and elsewhere, I’ve lost any sense of home now. But books have always been my home, as have words and myths, language - so many tongues - each absolutely foreign to the other.

Granted, some of the specific cultural experiences described go over my head. I’m a Chenn
Debbie
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
For some reason, I didn't like this at all. It was so meh, it hurt.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 4 May 08, 2020 05:18PM

• Empty Bottles Full of Stories
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters
  • When the World Didn't End
  • Turtle Under Ice
  • A Bound Woman Is a Dangerous Thing: The Incarceration of African American Women from Harriet Tubman to Sandra Bland
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • When the Stars Wrote Back
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Clap When You Land
  • The Rose That Blooms in the Night
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • Three Things I Know Are True
  • The Grief Keeper
  • The Starless Sea
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Truth About Magic
Jasmin Kaur is a writer, illustrator and spoken word artiste living in Vancouver, BC. Her writing, which explores feminism, social empowerment, love and survival, acts as a means of healing and reclaiming identity. As an arts facilitator and fourth-grade teacher, Jasmin has been leading creative-writing workshops for young people across North America, the UK, and Australia over the past five years ...more

News & Interviews