Start by marking “When You Ask Me Where I'm Going” as Want to Read:
When You Ask Me Where I'm Going

When You Ask Me Where I'm Going

Perfect for fans of Rupi Kaur and Elizabeth Acevedo, Jasmin Kaur’s stunning debut novel is a collection of poetry, illustrations, and prose.

scream
so that one day
a hundred years from now
another sister will not have to
dry her tears wondering
where in history
she lost her voice

The six sections of the book explore what it means to be a young woman living in a world that doesn’t
Expected publication: October 1st 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about When You Ask Me Where I'm Going, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Ask Me Where I'm Going

Jaiden Shahi
Harsharin Kaur
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In terms of layout and content, this book is unlike any book that I've read before! I loved how Jasmin didn't stick to the typical structure of a book, and there was an interchange of poetry, prose, illustrations, and short story. The book left me quite somber, and each and every piece of writing had me in a reflective state.
Tanya Scrimbit
Apr 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
This beautiful poets words touch my heart on such a profound level, I always go back to a time in my life where I really needed those kind and gentle words for my fragile soul. As I near 48, the words speak to my 25 year old inner self on levels I'm still discovering and coming to terms with. Thank you Jasmin for taking me back to a place I'm still learning to be at peace with. To a place I am still nurturing, forgiving, learning to love and most of all learning to understand. I always look forw ...more
Damanpreet Singh
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars. As a brown man, I learned a lot about the challenges that Sikh women face through reading this book and it was a humbling experience. This book needs to reach kaurs, South Asians and the rest of the world. It's so amazing to see our experiences as Punjabis captured in a book like this. The poetry was deep and insightful into the author's mind as a young, Punjabi woman living abroad. The short story of Kiran and her daughter left me wanting more. Even though we only saw a short amount ...more
Manveer Sihota
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is impeccably written and it’s flow is smoother than butter! It’s always amazing seeing the perspective of women of colour in a society where their voices are often drowned out. On top of that, this book gives voice to a Sikh woman, which is an underrepresented group within an underrepresented group. All in all an amazing read! Definitely recommend.
Tamin Atwal
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jasmin Kaur speaks and writes very eloquently. Her writing style touches the heart and makes a huge social statement at the same time. Hey writing has the ability to move you to tears. For this I'm so excited to get my hands on this book! 💕 I can't wait.
Sahibajot Kaur
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jasmin Kaur’s ability to capture emotion with such depth, intensity and clarity, creates a reading experience of joy and wonder. Having read nuggets of her poetry on Instagram, I can’t wait to get my hands on this book!
GURVINDER
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eagerly anticipated! If Jasmin’s previous works are anything to go by, this will surely be an enthralling read.
Damanjit Singh
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
can't wait to finally read this book! jasmin kaur is a talented story teller, organizer, educator, and poet whose deft economy of words bears the weight of multitudes of human experience.
Chloe
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not much of a poetry reader, but this book definitely pushed me to re-evaluate my stance on contemporary poetry. Jasmin Kaur packs so many relevant, hard-hitting topics into a small number of words. Each one felt carefully selected and beautifully expressed. Between the illustrations, poetry, and sections of prose, the book is so varied it never gets tiresome. What captivated me most though was the fictional story of Kiran and Sahaara. My only wish is that it was longer! It felt a little dis ...more
Arjun
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Jasmin for a long time and have always found her poetry profound and enthralling. I can't wait to get this book!
Casey (caseydillabooks)
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
A collection of illustrated poems and prose in the vein of #instragrampoets like Rupi Kaur (and less-so Elizabeth Acevedo, as the comp states). I generally find this genre of poetry oversimplified and not particularly artful, but I do appreciate how topical it is and I think it will resonate with teens and those with whom Rupi has struck a cord.
R Singh
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very well written book which is very thought evoking - as is always to be expected from any of Jasmin Kaur’s work. A must read!
Gugan Kaur
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jasmin’s work is amazing! Really appreciate the work and space she creates for brown women!
Jasjit Mankoo
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to finally read this book, I've been a fan of Jasmin Kaur's work ever since I discovered her on Instagram. I'm very excited to own the collection when it is released.
Olivia
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/yafict...

WHEN YOU ASK ME WHERE I'M GOING is an absolutely gorgeous collection that reaches to touch the soul. In poems, prose, and drawings, Kaur evokes a multitude of emotions from laughter to tears in beautifully written and illustrated words. It is hard to do this collection justice, but I feel as though I have peeked inside someone personal journal and left feeling all new feelings and with such depth.

What I loved: Putting into words ho
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book and chose to review it. This in no way impacts my opinion.

I absolutely loved this. It had such a good mix of poetry that spoke from the heart of someone who wanted to be heard as a person and as an immigrant. I loved the mix between the poetry, illustrations, and prose. I feel like I will get more out of this each time I read it.
Emily (emilykatereads)
This poetry and prose collection contains some really powerful work.

The overall structure just didn't quite leave me in love with the collection. The pieces individually, however, are what I'm totally on board with.

This book is divided into sections, moving from poetry, to prose, back to poetry. Kaur narrates the struggle of being a Sikh women and the hardships faced as an oppressed women. She gives a voice to her story. Then the prose sections tells the story of Kiran and her daughter. The two
Anne
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Rather than a novel, this is a collection of poems, illustrated poetry and prose by Jasmin Kaur, a young woman whose roots are in the Punjab and in Canada. The poetry reflects the female experience as a Sikh and a brown person dealing with all kinds of contemporary issues including systematic rape, feminism, racism and colonialism, and finally the need to love oneself as well as loving others.

The first third of the book is particularly negative as though the author has a big chip on her
Jennifer MacMullin
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars; I always struggle to review poetry collections. Jasmin Kaur has written a book of poetry and prose that paints the experience of a female immigrant and tackles things like sexual abuse, feminism, racism, and undocumented immigrants.

My issue is how it doesn’t seem to fit together seamlessly. The first section is full of poetry which is deep and impactful. But then it turns into a story about a Sikh woman who is raped but has decided to keep her daughter, and who leaves Punjab to live w
Lucsbooks
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hey, yes you! Get this book. This is a great book.

Seriously, this is one of the best poetry books I have read all year, certainly the one with the poems that have resonated the most with me.

The book opened with a punch and did not disappoint from beginning to end. The poems focus mostly on gender, race and the current political climate so they might be a little hard to read or even triggering for some readers.

The art is also absolutely beautiful and I loved how the poems were incorporated into i
Lauren
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
3.5 Stars - I’m not sure I like how this book is organized. The first half feels autobiographical - it’s all poetry that’s separated into sections based on a human organ. This part was lovely - the poetry is deep and meaningful. It touches on topics of gender, feminism, sexual assault, race, and xenophobia.

The second half of the book is more like a standard novel about a Pakistani woman who is raped and decides to keep the baby by moving in with her aunt and uncle in Canada. From there the stor
Melissa Anderson
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book written in poetry and prose. Divided into segments Skin, Muscle, Lung, Nerve, Heart, Light. This book was enlightening and educational. Harsh truths and realties told in a beautiful and lyrical way. I think this is an important story for everyone to read. It taught me many things about the Punjabi community in Canada, as well as more about the Sikh faith. I loved Jasmin Kaur's novel and couldn't put it down until it was read cover to cover.
I want to thank HCC Frenzy for my advance copy.
Xiomara Canizales
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, arcs
I try so hard to understand poetry.
I like a lot of the poems however I felt that I wasn't the audience for the book since it was focusing a lot on a South Asian Immigrant Young Woman. Obviously I appreciate to read about the journey she has to take but I didn't connect that well with the book's format.
Kirpa Kaur
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can’t wait to read this! Jasmin Kaur’s work is always deeply reflective and intersectional. I know this work will moving and impactful and highly relevant to the socio-political environment today. This story needs to be read, heard and felt.
Ash
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-bb
I really enjoyed this read.
I loved how each page was written differently; some pages had pictures some were full or words and some had ten words max. Each turn of the page I sunk more and more into it. Great job!
Alexis Stankewitz
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
*I received an ARC of When You Ask Me Where I'm Going. It's does not effect my review in any way* This is Definitely a book that everyone needs to read. I think that it's appropriate with this what going on in the world.
Ryan Bada