Start by marking “A Programmer's Introduction to Mathematics” as Want to Read:
A Programmer's Introduction to Mathematics

A Programmer's Introduction to Mathematics

A Programmer's Introduction to Mathematics uses your familiarity with ideas from programming and software to teach mathematics.

You'll learn about the central objects and theorems of mathematics, covering graphs, calculus, linear algebra, eigenvalues, optimization, and more. You'll also be immersed in the often unspoken cultural attitudes of mathematics, learning both how
Published November 27th 2018 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about A Programmer's Introduction to Mathematics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Programmer's Introduction to Mathematics

Start your review of A Programmer's Introduction to Mathematics
Mitch Anderson
Feb 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
If you’re a programmer and you either haven’t taken a course in calculus/linear algebra or haven’t kept your college maths somewhat fresh, you will most likely get nothing out of this book. The best chapter is the first, and the bar for “best” is relatively low here.

I hate to say this, as Jeremy Kun has written a large number of free and accessible mathematical refreshers (and has been doing so for years) many of which I have found personally useful. However, writing a introductory text is much
Vaidas
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not an easy evening read, but it is very well written and for the people who appreciate mathematics but feel intimidated by the notation overloading, jargon, and mental leaps in other books will find this one refreshing in that it not only explains topics in a friendly pace but also explains why mathematics is the way it is (hint: it is human endeavor).
Working through exercises would make you really grasp subjects well (I left this for the second reading), but either way, you will get a better a
Michiel
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kun guides us to some of the most important fields of fundamental mathematics. This book is very accessible to the non-mathematician, even though Kun does not dispense the formulas, proofs and general rigor. The different topics (sets, graphs, linear algebra, group theory and many more) are meticulously explained and illustrated with figures. Every topic is finished with a concrete applications illustrating the application of the math. The topic chapters are alternated by short essays on the dif ...more
Bill de hÓra
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, owned, math, compsci, 2020
Many of us are less than comfortable with mathematics, some of us are programmers, and this book aims to help us with appreciating mathematical fundamentals.

The book starts with polynomials and sets, to ground things, and goes on to cover topics like graphs, linear algebra and calculus. It’s not easy going and not meant to be, but it does provide explanations and mostly avoids big conceptual jumps. As just one example, I found the angle of attack on calculus starting with successively less appr
Paweł Rusin
May 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Gave up midway through. This yet another reminder for me not to read "X for programmers" type of books. I don't agree with the idea that, since one is a programmer, code snippets would be useful in grasping some math concepts. Also, because author tries to present topics that would be applicable to programmers, the book jumps randomly between unrelated topics and makes it hard to internalize your knowledge and build up on what you learned so far.
Each chapters has a bunch of exercises that you s
Jay Shah
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Had a tough time reading this (couldn't finish), I expected it to be a bit easier for Programmers but this reminded me of reading a Math textbook that doesn't end up clearing up questions or confusion around certain topics for me.
Alexander Temper
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not a reference book, not super detailed. However, it had me rethink how I perceive mathematical culture and how to perceive maths as a whole. Also, the author has a really nice blog!
Stephan

• The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays
  • The Soul of a New Machine
  • Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming
  • Notes from the End of Everything
  • Patternmaster (Patternmaster, #4)
  • My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness
  • The Collected Stories
  • You Died: The Dark Souls Companion
  • Crash Override: How Gamergate (Nearly) Destroyed My Life, and How We Can Win the Fight Against Online Hate
  • Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Kiss of the Spider Woman
  • Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (Teach Yourself)
  • Dark Souls: Design Works
  • The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love
  • The Waste Land and Other Poems
  • 雲空行 (壹, #1)
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »