Start by marking “Fancy Nancy” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy

Fancy Nancy

(Fancy Nancy)

From the dazzling duo of Jane O’Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser, welcome Fancy Nancy! This is the bestseller that launched the beloved Fancy Nancy series.

Meet Nancy, who believes that more is ALWAYS better when it comes to being fancy. From the top of her tiara down to her sparkly studded shoes, Nancy is determined to teach her family a thing or two about being fancy and u
Published December 13th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ta
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Fancy Nancy
Calista
This is the book that started the whole Fancy Nancy series. The art is so much fun and the story is fun and the character is wonderful. This is my niece from age 3-5. This should have won a Caldecott. I love the fancy strokes in the artwork and the swirls and life therein.

Nancy loveees fancy. She wants her family, who are very normal, to be more fancy so she offers fancy lessons. They all attend and she fancies them up. They go out to dinner all dressed up. Everyone is having a grand ol’ time.
Marie
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bvc, series, children-s
Fancy Nancy is a character who loves accessories and glamorous ones at that.  She believes in dressing up and in educating her family on the importance of style.  She teaches the reader exciting  new vocabulary as she instructs her family.  She is an independent thinker with much creativity and spirit.  A delightfully fun read with outrageously imagined illustrations!
Kathryn
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kathryn by: Aunt Linda
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!
I absolutely adore it. It is so popular (I saw copies at the AIRPORT bookstore, for goodness sake!) that I wrongly assumed it was commercialized fluff. Not so!!! This is a really sweet, thoughtful story (with the most adorable illustrations) about Fancy Nancy--she loves to make everything "fancy" (like calling ice cream sundaes parfaits--and then adding sprinkles!) but she is the only one in her family who does and sometimes it gets a lit
Nancy
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great name! This is a cute book and I would have to say one of my favorites just because I was always called and teased with the nickname Fancy Nancy when I was growing up.
Brandy
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is 5 star approved from not only myself but my very own, fancy, feisty, fashionista five year-old herself, Liv! Fancy Nancy was a funky, fun, fab, five year-old friendly yet fulfilling read! Loved it❤️😘
Kathy
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a fun book
La Coccinelle
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I've been working my way through our library's collection of Fancy Nancy e-books, but I'm getting close to the end. It was time to turn to the hardcovers, so I reserved a few. Last night, my mom and I sat down together to read some children's picture books. Why not? I think we both enjoyed them. My mom said my sister and I probably would've loved these books when we were little, and I concur (that's fancy for "agree").

We started with Fancy Nancy, which is apparently where the whole story begins.
Michele
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one is nearly perfect. My daughter adores this book... She loves the "fancy" words and the darling illustrations. Recommend.
Diz
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Nancy, unlike the other members of her family, is not satisfied with being plain. She likes things to be fancy. She dresses up, uses fancy words, and demands that life be extraordinary. In an effort to change her family, she teaches them how to become fancy. They humor her. In the end, there is an accident, and Nancy learns that it's OK for her family to be plain because what matters is that they love her.

Nancy is a larger than life personality, and it's a lot of fun to see the world from her pe
Connie
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it
I don't think Nancy is bratty or conceited - I think she's a little girl who, like many young children, likes shiny and "fancy" things. And she has remarkably supportive parents - just look at their shopping list! Milk, eggs, bread, fuschia hair mousse.

The pictures are... interesting. They really accurately capture the moods of the characters - the little sister copying her big sister (or grumbling as the crown is patiently taped back on her head!), the kid jumping for excitement. All the same,
Lisa
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is extraordinary---that's a fancy word for wonderful! We've been reading a lot of "Fancy Nancy" in the library at work as of late, prepping ourselves for Jane O'Connor's visit to our school next week! I am just as excited as the kids, especially after reading about adorable little Nancy and her quest to make all things fancy! I love it! Ms. O'Connor just knows how to tap into the imagination of little girls, and Nancy is one that girls her age could really look up to, proving it is ok ...more
Abigail
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Children Who Like Fancy Things
Young Nancy loved fancy things. She loved fancy room decorations, fancy clothing, and most of all, fancy words. Unfortunately for her, her own family was decidedly un-fancy, despite all of her efforts to spruce them up. Until, that is, the day she got the idea to offer classes in fanciness. Does her family have what it takes to shape up? And does it matter, if they don't?

Originally published in 2005, Jane O'Connor's Fancy Nancy has sparked a booming children's book franchise in the intervening t
AleJandra
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kasey-s-books
4 Posh STARS

"I love you," my dad says.
"I love you," my mom says.
And all I say back is, "I love you."
Because there isn't a fancy - or better - way of saying that.

description

Fancy Nancy es una niña muy confidente, el adjetivo correcto para describirla es “extra”, va más allá para llamar la atención y como diríamos en México le gusta colgarse hasta el molcajete. Es una niña muy tierna, que defiende su estilo propio de vestir y lo más importante quiere incluir a toda su familia, y es lo más boni
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Heidi-Marie
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I figured if I'm going to throw a Fancy Nancy party next winter, I should probably read up on some of her books! There has to be something in them for all those girls to love. And I think I can see it. It's cute and funny. And it's not too long or dragged out. I looked forward to reading more. I hope they're like this.

P.S. I LOVED the ending.

P.P.S. I've already got a list of ideas for things to do at the party!
Heather
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-library
29 months - I put this on hold at the library and ended up with the oversize story time version. I didn't want to take it home with us so we sat and read it at the library. O likes Nancy's sense of style and independance, I enjoy the way she introduces new vocabulary and explains what it means. O pick up vocabulary almost instantaneously so this is a great way for her to gain some new fun words.
Ann
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ann by: Katie - thanks:)
A really cute, fun story for kids who love learning new and "fancy" words, and also about being yourself.
There's also a great sense of family involvement and love which is subtle but very present.
Also, great pictures for those kids who like illustrations with a lot going on.
Lisa Vegan
Fabulous illustrations. Mirthful sweetness. Nancy and her family and the vocabulary words are wonderful.
Kathy
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a cute little book. I enjoyed reading this book about being "fancy". It's a perfect book for little princesses!

9/9/11 - My daughter picked this at the library again. We love Fancy Nancy!
Mario MJ Perron
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Letting You Be ... You

Adorable.
A parent's guide to having fun while allowing your children be themselves.
A great message about how parent's can show their children they respect them for who they are.

Follow Nancy and her amazing family as they nurture her self-expression in the cutest and most supportive way... by being fancy.

Can I use this in a classroom? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Imagine being able to get your students to lead class activities around some aspect of their personalities and having the who
Angie
Nancy likes fancy things. She wants to learn French because it's fancy and she uses fancy words in place of more simple words (ex: plume for feather). Nancy decides to teach her family about being fancy and how to dress fancy. After this lesson, they all go to dinner at a local restaurant where Nancy trips and makes a mess, leading to them having dessert at home.

I read this for a library licensing class, so I read it with a critical eye about format and design. I thought this book was really cut
Mary Soderstrom
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mademoiselle Nancy: Building Vocabulary One Fancy Word at a Time
When I went looking on the web to find out the English name of Jane O'Connor's series of books about a little girl who wants to be chic, I was a little taken aback to discover she's Fancy Nancy. We've been reading Mademoiselle Nancy to Jeanne (age three and a half) for about a month in French.

Nancy says she plays better soccer when she wears frou-frou socks, she thinks her family should take lessons in how to be chic, she loves fu
Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)
Nancy loves everything fancy! Her favorite color is fuchsia, she writes with a plume pen, and her doll's name is Marabelle Lavinia Chandellier. Unfortunately, Nancy's family is not as fancy as her, if at all. Nancy teaches her family what it means to be fancy, even dressing them up in fancy clothes. To celebrate their new fanciness, the family goes out to eat, and even though everyone stares at them they order parfaits and have fun... until Nancy trips and spills their parfaits on her fancy dres ...more
Heather
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Fancy Nancy is about a young girl who absolutely loves being fancy. Being fancy to her is having nicer things and cool new ways to say things. She goes on and on about new and better ways to say things, like her favorite color being fuschia instead of just saying purple. She then goes out of her way to have her parents become fancy just like her and the parents willingly go along with her plan. They dress up in a bunch of layered clothes that make them look quite silly and act like they are true ...more
Camille Ryckman
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brief summary-A girl who loves to be fancy finds a way to be fancy even in her plain family.
Annotation A charming story that shows the way a girl can make herself fancy with what ever she has laying around the house. She even gets her family to be a little fancy too.
Age appropriateness - This is a good book for 4-6 year olds
Connection to six early literacy skills
Vocabulary - Although there are many skills represented I like this for a great vocabulary builder as Nancy always finds a fancier wo
Becca Bennett
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-children
I don't know how I didn't read this with the littles sooner. Finally got around to it today and I was not disappointed! Such a darling read, great vocabulary for kiddos and adorable pictures. This will definitely make its way into my children's book collection.
Marta Pereira
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Funny. Plays on the fancy -ness of princesses, French and being posh
Amara
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations and great way to introduce children to new vocabulary words.

But, I think Nancy missed that there is indeed a "fancier" way of saying "I love you."

Je t'aime.
Sara Cobb
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ooh La La!
Fancy Nancy is giving her family lessons on how to be fancy. I love how this book cultivates the importance of family time and celebrating those things that are significant to each member of the family (Nancy in this case). We plan to make our family dinner fancy tonight by allowing our young daughter to help us pick out fancy clothes since she is learning about different types of clothing right now. I recommend this book to young readers and listeners learning about how to celebrate t
What is Nitridex ? 1 4 Aug 17, 2018 11:46PM

• Skippyjon Jones
  • Diary of a Worm
  • Splat the Cat
  • Biscuit
  • Digger the Dinosaur (My First I Can Read)
  • Purplicious
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Not a Box
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • David Gets In Trouble
  • Madeline
  • The Rainbow Fish
  • Pete the Cat: Sir Pete the Brave (My First I Can Read)
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 59 books)
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Fancy Nancy: Fanciest Doll in the Universe
  • Fancy Nancy and the Wedding of the Century
  • Fancy Nancy: Saturday Night Sleepover
  • Fancy Nancy: Oodles of Kittens
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!

Articles featuring this book

Summer vacation is officially here! Now's the perfect time to fill those long, school-free days with books your kids will...
“Nobody in my family is fancy at all. They never even ask for sprinkles.” 1 likes
“I love being fancy.” 0 likes