Start by marking “How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)

How to Catch a Star

(The Boy #1)

Once there was a boy, and that boy loved stars very much. So much so that he decided to catch one of his very own. But how? Waiting for them to grow tired from being up in the sky all night doesn't work. Climbing to the top of the tallest tree? No, not tall enough. The boy has a rocket ship . . . but it is made of paper and doesn't fly well at all. Finally, just when the b ...more
Published November 6th 2006 by HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (first published June 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How to Catch a Star, please sign up.
Debra Golden great for preschoolers and early elementary ages, and parents will enjoy it, too.

Start your review of How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)
Pooja
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
"Once there was a boy.."

One of the cutest starting line ever.
☽✰Madison✰☾
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this trying to find a book for an essay I'm doing on reaching for your dreams! And this is by far the CUTEST childrens book ever! With a great message. To reach for your biggest dreams, don't give up! Eeekk this was ADORABLE and SO precious! Anyone with younger kids or siblings, you should read this to them! <3 So cute and meaningful. ...more
Emma
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrns
Really cute illustrations, loved by both my nephews. Would be really useful as an early years science prompt.
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Oliver Jeffers has done it again! The man can spin pure magic with such simple words, images, and joys in life.

Our young hero is determined to catch a star. It’s his dream. After waiting, jumping, and stretching though, his dream still looks and feels so far away.

”But in his heart, the wish just wouldn’t give up.”

These big, open, colorful pages will inspire readers of all ages to keep reaching for the stars. Hope and smiles shimmer and shine on every page. Sometimes we need to look at goals and
Oliver Neal
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations as always. Lovely story line but could’ve done with a little more depth. Although, I think the one thing we can take from it is that you can wait for a long time, try and try again but fail. However, what you were looking for was right under your nose the whole time.
Nicki Fairman
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A story about a boy who doesn’t give up on his ambition to catch a star, even when it seems unlikely. As I read this book, I wished I had done so long ago. I thought of several pupils who I taught on placement that needed motivation to continue working hard, this would have shown them the importance of perseverance in a fun way!
Abigail
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Seeking Children's Stories About Longing for Something Out of Reach
Shelves: picture-books
"Once there was a boy and the boy loved stars very much..." And so begins the simple narrative here, as the boy tries everything he can think of, from climbing a tree to using a lasso, to catch a sparkling star. All of his efforts prove futile, until he finds what he is looking for in an unexpected form ((view spoiler)), and at an unexpected time...

Originally published in 2004, How to Catch a Star is the first of four picture-books about the adventures of this boy -
Emma
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book would be good to read to children in KS1 and year 3, it encourages creative thinking; they could think of and discuss how they might catch a star themselves. It could also be used to spark an interest in space and be used to introduce the topic of space. There are also colourful illustrations which show the boy’s ideas as well as time of day and how the ideas might and might not work.
Trelawn
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun read with beautiful illustrations (as usual) by Jeffers about a boy who wants to catch a star. Particularly good if your child currently has a space rocket obsession :-)
Aminata
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so beautiful!!!
Anna Donajgrodzki
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
How to Catch a Star is a brilliant book to use in a KS1 classroom. There are multiple discussion points and curricular links to do with reflections and day and night. The illustrations are warm and eye capturing, I particularly love the shapes of the stars as they are very child-like drawn. The book teaches important values such as patience which could be used to discuss with a class of children.
Kate
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cute and quick children’s book about a little boy who tries various methods to catch a star. Ultimately, it comes to him from the sea.
Graham Hill
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful story of a boy who refuses to give up on his dream to catch a star of his own. The simple story line, with a clear narrative (beginning, middle and end), makes the book very accesible to KS1 children. Jeffers' illustrations are bold, bright, yet unclutterd and simple, and they help children keep up with the story and get lost in their immagination. After reading this book, children will forever be reaching for the stars! ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I love Oliver Jeffers' books, especially his series about the little boy, of which this is the first book. We had already read the next book, Lost and Found , the one where a lost penguin turns up on his doorstep and he tries to help it find its way home again - such a wonderful book! This one is just as delightful, and really captures the kids' imaginations.

In this story, the boy loves stars and wants one. He tries many different ways to catch a star, like climbing to the top of the tree to
Christina
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book introduces the reader to a boy who loves stars so much, he wants to catch one of his own. He tries many different ways to catch one (such as climbing to the top of a tree), by the end of the book the boy collects a starfish. “The boy had caught a star. A star of his very own.” I loved this book – and my three year old daughter did too! I chose to read this book as Oliver Jeffers was an author recommended to us at university last year, and now I own quite a few of his books! I really en ...more
Erin Buhr
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What Oliver Jeffers does so very well in this story is capture the child's perspective and voice. A little boy loves stars and wants to catch one. He attempts with great childlike enthusiasm and creativity again and again. It celebrates imagination, persistence and dreaming without ever stating any of these. The text is perfectly honed and paired with illustrations that bring to life the emotion and yearning of the sweet protagonist. Told with a quiet, calm beauty that is punctuated with just en ...more
Mehsi
A cute, imaginative story about a boy who wants a star for his own, so he can be friends with it. The ending was pretty cute, and I was happy. The illustrations were pretty fun, and fit in perfectly with the imaginative story.
Taija
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story to read aloud. Also, I think the story is cute.
Fatima Alqassab
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, 2020
Beautiful illustrations and cute story for kids ^ - ^.
Ella
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book about a little boy who tries to catch a star. There is confusion around seeing stars in the daytime, reflections and star fish, all of which would provide great opportunities for discussion. These could link to science by looking at day and night and how the stars are still there we just can’t see them, as well as reflections. The illustrations are lovely and really make the book. I’d read the story with FS and KS1 children.
Maria
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story book, perfect for KS1 which emphasises the skill of patience and that things may not always seem to be how we expect. This story of a little boy who eagerly wants to catch a star and has managed to achieve this when he’s about to give up. Great story to read and relate to children’s day to day life, friendships and the importance of carrying on no matter what and not giving up.
Marwa
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Last month when I was so swamped with grief and stress, I found this cute childrens book in one of my friends car. I was her nephews book. I took it along with us and I read it to my friends over dinner. It was a dreamy and charming little companion.
Maggie
loving the imagination of oliver jeffers ... the child in me loves these books and the love of children in me loves the idea that these books are available to read to children.
Michelle
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I kept wondering how this kid was going to catch his very own star and was feeling his disappointment every time he was unsuccessful. But as most good stories go, we get a great happy ending.
Alice Graham
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely read for young children. Creates imagination of stars and intrigues children into learning about them.
Jenifer
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-books
Overall good, interesting art.
Kallina
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Simple words and cute illustrations!
Max Stark
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I'm starting to love this series. It just simply features a narrative of fantastical bliss. My little girl loved the story and the drawings of Jeffers are simply stunning. ...more
Francesca Lee
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book to a group of children on placement and they really enjoyed it. Myself and the children were able to make predictions throughout. Such a lovely story.
Ani

• A Squash and a Squeeze
  • The Snail and the Whale
  • The Day the Crayons Quit
  • The Day the Crayons Came Home
  • The Gruffalo (Gruffalo, #1)
  • Zog
  • Shh! We Have a Plan
  • Whatever Next!
  • Where's My Mom?
  • The Bear and the Piano
Oliver Jeffers' work takes many forms. His distinctive paintings have been exhibited in galleries worldwide, and HarperCollins UK and Penguin USA publish his award-winning picture books, now translated into over 30 languages.

In 2007, Jeffers was the official illustrator for World Book Day, and in 2008 Lost and Found became Oliver's first book to made into animation by London-based Studio AKA.

Jeffe

The Boy (4 books)
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)

News & Interviews