Start by marking “How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)

How to Catch a Star

(The Boy #1)

Once there was a boy, and that boy loved stars very much. So much so that he decided to catch one of his very own. But how? Waiting for them to grow tired from being up in the sky all night doesn't work. Climbing to the top of the tallest tree? No, not tall enough. The boy has a rocket ship . . . but it is made of paper and doesn't fly well at all. Finally, just when the ...more
Published November 6th 2006 by HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (first published June 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How to Catch a Star, please sign up.
Debra Golden great for preschoolers and early elementary ages, and parents will enjoy it, too.…moregreat for preschoolers and early elementary ages, and parents will enjoy it, too. (less)

Start your review of How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)
Pooja
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
"Once there was a boy.."

One of the cutest starting line ever.
☽✰Madison✰☾
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this trying to find a book for an essay I'm doing on reaching for your dreams! And this is by far the CUTEST childrens book ever! With a great message. To reach for your biggest dreams, don't give up! Eeekk this was ADORABLE and SO precious! Anyone with younger kids or siblings, you should read this to them! <3 So cute and meaningful.
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Oliver Jeffers has done it again! The man can spin pure magic with such simple words, images, and joys in life.

Our young hero is determined to catch a star. It’s his dream. After waiting, jumping, and stretching though, his dream still looks and feels so far away.

”But in his heart, the wish just wouldn’t give up.”

These big, open, colorful pages will inspire readers of all ages to keep reaching for the stars. Hope and smiles shimmer and shine on every page. Sometimes we need to look at goals and
Oliver Neal
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations as always. Lovely story line but could’ve done with a little more depth. Although, I think the one thing we can take from it is that you can wait for a long time, try and try again but fail. However, what you were looking for was right under your nose the whole time.
Nicki Fairman
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A story about a boy who doesn’t give up on his ambition to catch a star, even when it seems unlikely. As I read this book, I wished I had done so long ago. I thought of several pupils who I taught on placement that needed motivation to continue working hard, this would have shown them the importance of perseverance in a fun way!
Abigail
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Seeking Children's Stories About Longing for Something Out of Reach
Shelves: picture-books
"Once there was a boy and the boy loved stars very much..." And so begins the simple narrative here, as the boy tries everything he can think of, from climbing a tree to using a lasso, to catch a sparkling star. All of his efforts prove futile, until he finds what he is looking for in an unexpected form ((view spoiler)), and at an unexpected time...

Originally published in 2004, How to Catch a Star is the first of four picture-books about the adventures of this boy -
Emma
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book would be good to read to children in KS1 and year 3, it encourages creative thinking; they could think of and discuss how they might catch a star themselves. It could also be used to spark an interest in space and be used to introduce the topic of space. There are also colourful illustrations which show the boy’s ideas as well as time of day and how the ideas might and might not work.
Aminata
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so beautiful!!!
Trelawn
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun read with beautiful illustrations (as usual) by Jeffers about a boy who wants to catch a star. Particularly good if your child currently has a space rocket obsession :-)
Kate
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cute and quick children’s book about a little boy who tries various methods to catch a star. Ultimately, it comes to him from the sea.
Graham Hill
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful story of a boy who refuses to give up on his dream to catch a star of his own. The simple story line, with a clear narrative (beginning, middle and end), makes the book very accesible to KS1 children. Jeffers' illustrations are bold, bright, yet unclutterd and simple, and they help children keep up with the story and get lost in their immagination. After reading this book, children will forever be reaching for the stars!
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I love Oliver Jeffers' books, especially his series about the little boy, of which this is the first book. We had already read the next book, Lost and Found , the one where a lost penguin turns up on his doorstep and he tries to help it find its way home again - such a wonderful book! This one is just as delightful, and really captures the kids' imaginations.

In this story, the boy loves stars and wants one. He tries many different ways to catch a star, like climbing to the top of the tree to
Christina
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book introduces the reader to a boy who loves stars so much, he wants to catch one of his own. He tries many different ways to catch one (such as climbing to the top of a tree), by the end of the book the boy collects a starfish. “The boy had caught a star. A star of his very own.” I loved this book – and my three year old daughter did too! I chose to read this book as Oliver Jeffers was an author recommended to us at university last year, and now I own quite a few of his books! I really ...more
Erin Buhr
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What Oliver Jeffers does so very well in this story is capture the child's perspective and voice. A little boy loves stars and wants to catch one. He attempts with great childlike enthusiasm and creativity again and again. It celebrates imagination, persistence and dreaming without ever stating any of these. The text is perfectly honed and paired with illustrations that bring to life the emotion and yearning of the sweet protagonist. Told with a quiet, calm beauty that is punctuated with just ...more
Mehsi
A cute, imaginative story about a boy who wants a star for his own, so he can be friends with it. The ending was pretty cute, and I was happy. The illustrations were pretty fun, and fit in perfectly with the imaginative story.
Taija
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story to read aloud. Also, I think the story is cute.
Max Stark
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I'm starting to love this series. It just simply features a narrative of fantastical bliss. My little girl loved the story and the drawings of Jeffers are simply stunning.
Michelle
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I kept wondering how this kid was going to catch his very own star and was feeling his disappointment every time he was unsuccessful. But as most good stories go, we get a great happy ending.
Marwa
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Last month when I was so swamped with grief and stress, I found this cute childrens book in one of my friends car. I was her nephews book. I took it along with us and I read it to my friends over dinner. It was a dreamy and charming little companion.
Kallina
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple words and cute illustrations!
Maggie
loving the imagination of oliver jeffers ... the child in me loves these books and the love of children in me loves the idea that these books are available to read to children.
Alice Graham
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely read for young children. Creates imagination of stars and intrigues children into learning about them.
Jenifer
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-books
Overall good, interesting art.
Francesca Lee
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book to a group of children on placement and they really enjoyed it. Myself and the children were able to make predictions throughout. Such a lovely story.
Fiona Hill
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, ks1
Wonderful and powerful illustrations showing how small we are in such a big world. A very lovely story about a boy who wanted a star for his very own, but he just couldn’t reach them! Encourages children to not give up.

Plenty of links to science topics:

Space
Reflection
Habitats
Iqra Fiaz
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really lovely story about a boy trying to catch a star. It would be fun to have the class make predictions about how he may catch the star and illustrate any of their own that aren't mentioned in the story.
Izzy Dorrance
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about a boy who wants to catch a star. It demonstrates his resilience because he doesn't give up even when his methods aren't walking. It could also be used in science lessons, looking at why stars can't be seen during the day.
Ben Phillips
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How to Catch a Star is a book for young children that follows the adventures of a small boy who dreams of catching a star to befriend and play with. The book is written by Oliver Jeffers who has written a series of short stories.

It is apparent that the author has placed great emphasis on keeping the sentences simple and descriptive, with the main focus being on the vibrant and colourful pictures used to describe what is going on in a particular scene. The pictures also give class
Jessica
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my absolute favorite books. The storyline is great and children love it. This story is of a boy who is in love with stars and wishes for his very own. One day he decides to catch his own star and tries climbing on the trees and that didn't work. He walks down the beach and sees a "star" on the ground and is so excited to have his very own star at last!
Gabriella Carvell-Turner
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to catch a star is a beautiful and inspirational story of a boy who loved stars so much, that one day he decided he would catch his own. This story is narrated from the point of view of the boy so the logic of how to catch a star is childlike.
The first thing I like about this book are the illustrations, Oliver Jeffers uses watercolours beautifully and creates vague looking landscapes and characters. This is done for a reason, in an interview he explains this is done so that people all
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 1 4 Apr 26, 2015 06:14AM

• Zog
  • Owl Babies
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Snow White in New York
Oliver Jeffers' work takes many forms. His distinctive paintings have been exhibited in galleries worldwide, and HarperCollins UK and Penguin USA publish his award-winning picture books, now translated into over 30 languages.

In 2007, Jeffers was the official illustrator for World Book Day, and in 2008 Lost and Found became Oliver's first book to made into animation by London-based Studio AKA.

The Boy (4 books)
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)