Start by marking “Technology Strategy Patterns: Architecture as Strategy” as Want to Read:
Technology Strategy Patterns: Architecture as Strategy

Technology Strategy Patterns: Architecture as Strategy

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  128 ratings  ·  21 reviews

Technologists who want their ideas heard, understood, and funded are often told to speak the language of business—without really knowing what that is. This book’s toolkit provides architects, product managers, technology managers, and executives with a shared language—in the form of repeatable, practical patterns and templates—to produce great technology strategies.

A

Published October 29th 2018 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Technology Strategy Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Technology Strategy Patterns

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Technology Strategy Patterns: Architecture as Strategy
Thomas
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read_2018
This book is borderline between four and five stars for me. We'll see as I'm able to really start applying these patterns whether it proves to be as useful as it seems. One word of warning, I won't be surprised to see some less than positive reviews of this book from readers who come to it looking for something very different. Just be warned, if you are not looking for advice and patterns for approaching the *business* side of technical strategy, don't bother with this book. If you are looking f ...more
Railgun
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Like the author said, this is a book for the wannabe CTOs. The content is about helping us form and present a technology strategy to the audience - the CEO and the board.
Sebastian Gebski
An ultra-specific book for certain category of people - "high-value consultants", enterprise architecture strategists, technical executives very far from the actual technology - I've been there, so I can honestly say: this book is useful for them.

Everyone else? Move along.

To keep the long story short, this is a collection of simple techniques to communicate enterprise architecture in the simplest, most clear & effective way. It is NOT about technology, not about people or processes - it's all ab
Denis Romanovsky
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Technology strategist/enterprise architect explains how to use strategic thinking and strategic analysis tools. Does this really well and easy to comprehend. Good for any technology leaders.
Daniel Rezny
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good set of pattern how to build an architecture from the beginning till the real strategical architecture. Very important is communication!
I will, for sure try some of these techniques
Hossam
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I believe that every technologist, architect and strategist will relate or appreciate to a big extent the practicality of the techniques and structure Eben brought to life in this brilliant work. It is one thing to theorize about strategy and architecture as in many of the conventional literature, versus getting things put forward pragmatically from the practitioner's perspective, and that what this book is about.

Ebin dedicates a great deal of detailed chapters to explain core strategy tools in
Jevgenij
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
I admire the attempt to make the work of architects and analysts more structured, but the reality is that all those "patterns" are just a lot of water invented by business people. In reality there is only one pattern: logical thinking, experience and research. ...more
Thanonchai
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dry but gives really good advice on the big picture of IT Architecture - especially the why part.
George Hipp
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a large amount of information crammed into this book, in a good way! Starting with the roles (Architect and Strategy), through analyzing the environment at many levels to create a strategy and then communicating / selling the strategy to "leadership" and the rest of the organization. There is a ton of detail and how-to's, suggestions and examples.

I would not recommend this book to a junior developer who would like to suggest a new framework on a project, but a mid-career architect / se
Ryan
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fy21v2mom
Good material but a bit of a slog reading cover-to-cover

The beginning of this book has some wonderful insights and perspectives on software architecture and the role in business and there really are some great patterns outlined that I’ll probably refer back to time to time, but it was quite a slog reading this cover-to-cover. I ended up skimming after I got to the 10th pattern or so. It is also aimed more at executive-level architects at more traditional businesses, so was a bit dry and stodgy i
Oneeb
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great emphasis on important techniques and patterns critical to a technology strategy engagements. While some of the frameworks such as Porter five forces, BCG growth matrix were generic, others such as the ones below were more practical and are currently used today:
1) Capability Mapping (People, process, technology etc)
2) Enterprise architecture (business, data, information, application)
3) Vision and principles
4) Operating model design
5) Business process and value stream mapping (lean 6 sigma)
Harlan
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
I really wanted this to be a different book, and was pretty disappointed. There are some good patterns in here, particularly towards the end, and I will come back to them; but the first half of the book was primarily long, chatty descriptions of processes that are so high-level to be incomprehensible, with asides on philosophy that are irrelevant. Despite the back-cover blurb talking about "examples", the examples he gives are disjoint and usually just painfully-shrunken screenshots, rather than ...more
Y. Mithat C
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, this is a hands-on book.
It is a great book shows the way from strategy to execution in a "very" practical approach. However, it does not forget to link practicals to philosophy and fundamental logic.
My takeaways; I've been using similar methods and tools for a very long time. This book shows some new ones and news ways to use the old ones.
There are some missing point. For example; it'd be better to have template for SBM.
Simon Gianoutsos
This book does contain a bunch of good patterns and guidance of what to include in a Technology Strategy and a great starting point for what to include in an Architecture Definition. As a shopping list of things to consider putting in a strategy it is good, but reading through each of them was a bit dry.
Gerhard Kessell-haak
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good overview of useful techniques and patterns to assist when putting together a technology focussed strategy. I didn't personally find much that was new, but it is a nice compendium that you can leaf through when compiling your thoughts and figuring out how best to support and communicate your strategy. ...more
Patrick
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
An opinionated overview of the building blocks necessary to create an architecture strategy, this is a great guide for technologists who need to learn to begin working with the executive ranks. The book is a collection of business strategy exercises, facilitation techniques, and presentation advice. Recommended.
Piotr Tomaszewski
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
I like framework-style books, and Technology Strategy Patterns fits into this category nicely.

The book is dedicated to the particular area of strategy development, so don’t get confused by the title - it is not about technology. Instead, you will find a set of helpful patterns that may foster your strategy development efforts, and you will be guided on how to use this knowledge. If you are developing an IT strategy, this book will give you all you need to succeed.

The target audience is Architect
Fausto De
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very pragmatic lessons that an Architect can apply to talk with business people and executives
Rafal Gruszczynski
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A collection of tools and techniques

Pretty basic collection of tools and techniques related to software and organisation building. In fact trying to some extent to map one onto the other. Interesting and can help organising things a bit better. Of limited value. You'd better invest your time elsewhere.
Kiran K
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Along with concepts real life examples are well explained. This is one of my first books which helped me articulate non functional requirements to Senior leadership.
Shane Sexton
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent set of conceptual tools for making strategic decisions. I suspect I will be returning to this book frequently in the future.
Petter Chamoli
Nov 17, 2019
Yashar
Sep 17, 2020
Josh Street
rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2019
Chris Mann
Feb 01, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The CTO ¦ CIO Bible: The Mission Objectives Strategies And Tactics Needed To Be A Super Successful CTO ¦ CIO
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
  • Fundamentals of Software Architecture: An Engineering Approach
  • Modern CTO: Everything you need to know, to be a Modern CTO.
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Clean Architecture
  • The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • The Software Architect Elevator: Transforming Enterprises with Technology and Business Architecture
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“In 1966, Derrida delivered a paper entitled “Structure Sign and Play in the Discourse of the Human Sciences” (which is a wonderful paper, right up there with the original DynamoDB paper and the Page Rank algorithm paper).” 1 likes
“One of my favorite books, and one that changed how I think about software and the evolution of ideas, was A Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander (Oxford University Press).” 0 likes