Start by marking “The Flight Girls: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Flight Girls: A Novel

The Flight Girls: A Novel

A stunning story about the Women Airforce Service Pilots whose courage during World War II turned ordinary women into extraordinary heroes

1941. Audrey Coltrane has always wanted to fly. It’s why she implored her father to teach her at the little airfield back home in Texas. It’s why she signed up to train military pilots in Hawaii when the war in Europe began. And it’s wh
Published July 2nd 2019 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about The Flight Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flight Girls

Norma * Traveling Sister
Fascinating, touching & entertaining!

THE FLIGHT GIRLS by NOELLE SALAZAR is an enlightening, powerful and emotionally compelling historical fiction novel that has us following along fictionalized character, Audrey Coltrane and her involvement in the WASP program (Women Airforce Service Pilots) during World War II.

NOELLE SALAZAR delivers an excellent, heartfelt, intriguing and well-written read here with wonderful, relatable, and well developed characters. The story is told from the first per
Katie B
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
As soon as I saw the cover, I knew I had to read this book. I keep saying I need to lay off the World War 2 historical fiction for awhile, but the chance to learn a bit about the WASPs (Women Airforce Service Pilots) was an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

Audrey Coltrane loves to fly planes and it's her dream to one day own an airfield back home in Texas. It's 1941 and she is saving up money while training military pilots in Hawaii. With that one goal taking up all of her focus, she doesn't care
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

Adventurous, heart wrenching and inspiring!

Audrey Coltrane is a young female pilot whose passion for flying started when she was a child. When the war begins, she signs up to train military pilots knowing she is helping her country prepare for what may come. Facing constant criticism and stereotyping, she is proud of her career and the adventures she gets to take while doing something she loves. This story is inspired by the real team of female pilots who trained soldiers in WWII.

I lov
Sara Ackerman
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Flight Girls captivated me from the first page and never let go. Salazar’s writing is lively and fresh, as we ride shotgun with a cast of memorable characters, an epic love story, and a powerful tale of courage and sacrifice by the Women Airforce Service Pilots during
WWII. A spectacular first novel.

I was lucky and got an advance copy!
Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction)
I knew when I read the synopsis for The Flight Girls that I would enjoy this book immensely, and I wasn't wrong. My husband is an Air Force veteran with a private pilots license, so it's safe to say that I've spent plenty of my time in and around lots of planes over the past 25 years, either as a passenger or watching them from the ground. There's something magical about flying, and Noelle Salazar manages to perfectly capture that in her debut novel even amidst the most harrowing of times―WWII.

A
Karren  Sandercock
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Feisty Audrey Coltrane loves to fly planes and she has dreams of one day owning her own air field.
Audrey's plans for her future don't include her settling down, getting married and having babies!
The military has started hiring women to train male pilots in Hawaii and her dad encourages her to give it a go.
Audrey moves to Hawaii and soon she's instructing younger male pilots to fly. She enjoys spending time with her new friends, swimming, going to beach parties and drinking cocktails.
On the 7th o
Emily
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy 5 Stars. I daresay this will be one of my favorite books of the year. This book follows the fictional Audrey Coltrane before, during, and after her time as a WASP during WWII. The WASP program (Women Airforce Service Pilots) did jobs like ferrying military planes between bases, trained the men entering the airforce and tested both new and repaired planes before they were shipped back overseas, all without the protection of military status.

While the book does have a fair bit of romance, the
The Just-About-Cocky Ms M
So here we have the American Cousin of the equally awful "Spitfire Girls," whose pilots were consumed by romantic fantasies and getting their lipstick on correctly.

I suppose this dreadful and ultimately insulting drivel featuring a collection of ubiquitous "Girds" will continue to appear, and I will continue to treat it with justified disdain.
Janet
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A stunning story about the Women Airforce Service Pilots, whose courage during World War II turned ordinary women into extraordinary heroes

Sara
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ordered this book when I first heard about it, then I won a drawing for an Advance Reader's Edition! What a treat! At times I couldn't put the book down, at other times I needed to take a break after getting too wrapped up in it. Audrey is a character I cared about, I rooted for, I even got a bit annoyed with at one point - her friendships and hardships will draw you to her. It's hard to believe this is Noelle's first novel. I want to share my copy of this book, but I'm afraid I won't get it b ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, arc-are
The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar is a fascinating, fictionalised account of the role female pilots played on the home front during World War II.

With dreams of one day owning her own small airfield in her home town, Audrey Coltrane is one of a handful of female civilian flight instructors assisting in the training of airforce recruits in Hawaii as World War II rages in Europe. She’s content spending her days in the air, and her nights in the company of her roommates, determined to avoid any rom
Brenda - Traveling Sister
3.5 Stars

The Flight Girls makes for an inspiring, lighter historical fiction that explores the dynamics between the characters rather than the historical events to the story. The story focuses on one women’s strength and will to follow her passion here with our well developed main character Audrey Coltrane. Her passion leads her to joining the relatively unknown, Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) during WWII.

Noelle Salazar does a great job here dramatizing the camaraderie as she explores the
Sara (Sjthroughthelookingglass)
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
WWII Historical Fiction is quickly becoming a favorite genre of mine so I was thrilled to win an advanced copy of The Flight Girls from Goodreads.
The Flight Girls is an epic love story that follows the amazing courageous journey of fictional pilot Audrey Coltrane, starting with her fateful days at Pearl Harbor through training with fellow WASP women. The fast friendships, dedication, courage, personalities and backgrounds of these women was we'll rounded and lively. I loved taking jumpseat for
Ruth
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was happy to see an advance copy in my mail box. Thanks for that.
I was even happier after I finished the book in less than 24 hours!
Wonderful characters and very informative.
I did wonder about the reference on page 113 about people having learned about Pearl Harbor on their televisions. Didn't know there were many TV's in homes in 1941....
But, all in all, an entertaining book. I enjoyed it.
Julie Barnard
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book - doesn’t publish until July, but definitely worth reading.
Jenna Bookish
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
My thanks to NetGalley and MIRA for sending me an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by the publisher.

I’ll start this out by freely admitting that I seem to be in the minority opinion on this one. I read a lot of rave reviews and went in with super high hopes, ready for a WWII story with a lot of substance and a strong, interesting female protagonist. What I got felt more… fluffy romance set against a dark backdrop.

The book
Shari Suarez
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A powerful tale of women pilots (WASP) during WWII. Most of the WWII books that I've read lately have taken place mostly in Europe. This is the first one I've read that begins in Hawaii and includes the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Audrey Coltrane is working on training pilots in Hawaii to make money to buy an airfield in her hometown. She ends up being in the air during the attack on Pearl Harbor and loses many colleagues and friends.
After that, she heads to Sweetwater to train on military planes th
Dana
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
The Flight Girls tells the story of Audrey Coltrane who has a passion for flying and an evasion to anything romance related. It takes us on a journey during the events of WWII and the devestation of the Pearl Harbor bombing. We're given a look into what life was like for the WASP women (Women Airforce Service Pilots), their triumphs and tragedies. Though overall The Flight Girls tells the story of courage, perseverance and love.
The Flight Girls is Noelle Salazar's first novel. It's well writt
Donna Hines
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I'm old enough to have a parent who couldn't wait to take me to see Pearl Harbor National Memorial and I remember my Cold War Navy Veteran father tearing up knowing its significance to all Americans and all those who fought in WWII.
Just imagine now a woman joining the ranks of the most elite air force members to serve her country high above the skies during this same time.
Imagine if you will this woman is caught between love and war and the hardships found on both extremes.
This book truly will h
Joyce
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming story about courageous women. The characters are drawn so well that they come to life.
Barbara
Aug. 2019 book group read.
Lauren Dentler
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-tbr
The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar tells the story of Audrey Coltrane a young woman who becomes one of the WASP pilots that contracted with the U.S. Army during World War Two. The journey follows the hardships, challenges, and excitements of being a female pilot in the 1940s and was captivating in its highs and lows despite some distracting factual inaccuracies.

I have mixed feelings about this book and I have been left wondering how to rate it even as I write this review. The author did an incre
Monica Huerta
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
ARC kindly provided by netgalley and publisher. The opinions expressed within this review are purely my own.

Rating: 2.5/5 (stopped reading at 77%, sadly)

I stopped reading this book because, unfortunately, it fell flat for me. I lost interest in the main character as she was either pining for a man for most of the book (about 65%) or feeling guilty for being interested in someone else. Furthermore, I felt like the author had a hard time deciding what she wanted to make of the book. To me, it did
Danielle Zimmerman
Oh my, what a beautiful book. It's hard to believe that this is a debut novel.

This story centers upon Audrey, a girl who has always dreamed of flying. So much so that she did something about it when she was still a child. This isn't a book about a woman having a ton of doors shut in her fact and persisting through "closed door" hardships and hurdles. Instead, it's a story of a young woman who knows what she wants and perseveres through hardships as she takes advantage of the opportunities she ha
Aryn
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audrey Coltrane has always wanted two things: to fly planes and to buy the airfield where she learned to fly in Texas. Working as a civilian contractor for the military in Hawaii seems like a dream job, training pilots on military planes. Audrey and the other women she works and lives with are enjoying their time on the island, until December 7, 1941. Devastated and shaken by the attack on Pearl Harbor, she returns home. After a brief time lapse, Audrey joins the WASP program and trains to serve ...more
Leesa
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar – 4 stars
“I wondered, as we walked to the office to check in, if we would ever not be underestimated. If men would ever look at us and not blink an eye or find themselves surprised by our presence doing jobs they’d only ever thought they could do. If we’d ever get the credit and acknowledgment for both our skill and our bravery. Or if we’d always be “just girls” in their eyes. Playing at something they didn’t deem us hardy enough for.”
Audrey Coltrane was bor
Lois R. Gross
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
At best, this is a quick read romance, the very definition of a Beach Read. At worst, it is a disappointing historial novel, lacking in real detail and focus on the character development of some predictable characters functioning in the unusual circumstances of being World War II WASPS, women charged with ferrying airplanes across the country so that thy can then be flown by male aviators to Europe.

Audrey Coltrane is stationed in Hawaii, training raw recruits to fly planes that will take out the
Pam
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I received an electronic ARC from Harlequin-MIRA through NetGalley.
Though there are some historical inaccuracies, the story pulls the reader in to the lives of women pilots during WWII. Told from first person perspective. Audrey Coltrane always wanted to fly. Her life goal is to purchase the airstrip in her hometown; relationships are not part of the plan.
The book starts in 1941 with her training military pilots in Hawaii. She meets a fellow pilot, James, and they establish a friendship though
BookTrib.com
Inspired by the team of women pilots who trained soldiers in the second World War, Noelle Salazar’s The Flight Girls (MIRA) innovatively weaves the struggles of misogyny, trauma and platonic relationships with the paradoxical truth of war’s powerful capacity to both fracture relationships and bring individuals together. Seldom are readers able to experience a story that unravels the hidden history of the invaluable role women played in World War II, and Salazar’s absolutely captivating and enthr ...more
Jacqueline Simonds
May 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I picked up an ARC of this book at my job in a bookstore. After 100 pages, I declared a book divorce. Yes, it's that bad.

First, let's talk about the fact this book is so poorly edited, it made me, a former editor, nearly cry. No, I didn't find piles of typos. I found piles of anachronisms for a book about 1941 - 45.
~Referring to women as "Ms." - the term was not in broad popular use until 1968.
~A male character keeps bumping his head against the "headrest" of a Jeep. They barely had seats back t
« previous 1 3 4 next »