Start by marking “WOLFPACK: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game” as Want to Read:
WOLFPACK: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game

WOLFPACK: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  9,364 ratings  ·  1,013 reviews
Based on her inspiring, viral 2018 commencement speech to Barnard College’s graduates in New York City, New York Times bestselling author, two-time Olympic gold medalist and FIFA World Cup champion Abby Wambach delivers her empowering rally cry for women to unleash their individual power, unite with their pack, and emerge victorious together.

Abby Wambach became a champion
Published April 9th 2019 by Celadon Books

To ask other readers questions about WOLFPACK, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WOLFPACK

·  9,364 ratings  ·  1,013 reviews

Start your review of WOLFPACK: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game
Kristi
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paper, 2019
I don't usually review books, but as I read through this book I was disappointed, here's why:

-If you watched the commencement speech, you've pretty much read the book. There wasn't a lot of new information or expansion of the ideas brought up in the speech.
-This book could be about half the page count if they didn't have it double spaced and a bunch of blank pages thrown in.
-There were good ideas proposed but no actionable steps to get there.

I feel like as a leadership book, this falls flat. A
Cori
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick read about gratitude, leadership, transformation, and confidence. Based on soccer legend Abby Wambach's 2018 Barnard commencement speech, she inspires passion and strength, and guides us to support other women by cultivating a Wolfpack. This would be a great book to give a new graduate, but really anyone can learn from this must read. Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this advance copy.
Natalie
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuck yeah, Abby.

Listen to this while you clean your refrigerator, when you can't sleep at night, when men are men, when you're eating ice cream; whatever.

"The entire landscape changed all because of the wolves presence. See what happened there? The wolves, who were feared by many to be a threat to the system, became the system's salvation. Now look around you today, see what's happening here...we are the one's we've been waiting for."
Beth
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a short book, but a book doesn't have to be long to be powerful. I read this, curious, because a co-worker was super excited about it - then I saw her talking with Trevor Noah. I found myself underlining one passage in each section - not for myself as much, but for my 12yo daughter. She is a competitive gymnast, can be afraid of her power and her fear of failure - and Abby says a lot about both of those in this book. She's right - as women, we far too often find ourselves *grateful* for wha ...more
Nerdette Podcast
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GET THIS BOOK FOR EVERYONE IN YOUR LIIIIIIIIIIFEEEEEEEE
Laura Noggle
Decent empowerment speech / "rallying cry" for women.

I had to Google Abby Wambach when I picked up this book, as I had only the faintest idea who she was. With the recent USA Women's World Cup win, this seemed like a timely read.

Apparently WOLFPACK is basically the commencement address Wambach gave at Barnard College in 2018. At a meager 112 pages, it has some nice quote-ables but not much depth.

Quotes:

“Leadership is taking care of yourself and empowering others to do the same. Leadership is n
Fran
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So grateful I picked this up. I was unfamiliar with the original speech that went viral, so this was completely new and raw and beautifully simple and wholly complex that I need to challenge myself to read it at least annually.
Janet
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Brooke Smith
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wow! Wow! A fierce and powerful read about all relevant issues! How to stand by your side, and finding your tribe. Quick read that is honest and humble! I'm reading it with my kids, giving it to my friends! Thank you, Abby for your message!
Beth
I listened to the audio. I need a physical copy so I can mark it up. So. Good.
Kristen Mcknight
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a short book and a quick read. While I agree with many of her principles, in my opinion it doesn't deserve to be a book (I'm glad I checked it out of the library and didn't purchase it). It's more like a pamphlet with some principles to motivate women.
Nan Goerlitz
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick, short read. I really enjoyed it, especially because it was easy to digest. Even with that, it was packed with insightful content.
Shannon
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019_read_harder
Read Harder 2019: Business Book

This book is super short (<100 pages) and a very fast read, but I really enjoyed reading a book on leadership from a uniquely female perspective. Many of the ideas Wambach outlines are ways that I (hopefully) already lead. And I finished the book feeling reminded that I need to seek out my pack - I need to work to feel less lonely and surround myself with women who are learning their own best way to lead.

I especially like Wambach's assertion that just like environm
Colleen
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I pre-ordered my copy of Wolfpack so that it was delivered the day it was released, which was today, by the way. And not 10 minutes after it arrived on my doorstep, I was already reading it. This book is teeny, tiny. I read it in like an hour. But it's contents are huge. Abby Wambach has incredibly important things to share with this world. It's definitely worth taking the time to read this powerful little message.
Vicky Griffith
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am obsessed with Abby’s in-real-life Wolfpack so these stars are for her extraordinary efforts to raise up women. The book is just an intro.
Ramona Mead
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The presentation is a little cheesy, but the message is solid. It's a short book, which allows it to be to the point and pack a lot of punch. I appreciate how she illustrated her points with personal examples. The idea that we are all leaders whether we realize it or not, hit me hard. This is a book that came to me at an ideal time. It's entirely positive and motivating. I listened to the audio book, which probably gave it a little more emotional heft. Since it's just about an hour long, I plan ...more
Westminster Library
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This short guide for women claiming their power is so inspiring. Abby Wambach, the highest scoring professional soccer players ever, gives practical, down to earth tips while sharing her own experiences. This would be a great gift for any woman starting out on a new adventure.

Find Wolfpack: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game at Westminster Public Library today!

If you enjoy Wolfpack, you might also like Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
Both books inspire one with the courage
Maria
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short book based on a commencement speech. It packs a powerful punch we all need, with encouragement to be authentic, forge our own paths and move forward towards a kinder world.
Eric
Feb 25, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A step, but not much, above trash. Thankfully it was short.
Sage Donnell
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a secret to tell you. Even though I enjoy books with a sports setting, I'm not actually much of a sports fan. I live in Portland where the Thorns rule and are extremely popular, but I rarely attend matches. They're exciting and fun for about the first 15 minutes. Athletic women running around a field? Yes, please. However, then it's just more of the same and I loose interest.

So, what do like about the books, say, a soccer setting? It's the hard work, drive, and teamwork that go into a su
I loved this short book! I totally missed Abby's viral commencement speech from 2018, so I'm glad she expanded it a bit into this book. I love her main message and her "new rules":

New Rules:

1. Create your own path.
2. Be grateful for what you have AND demand what you deserve.
3. Lead now, from wherever you are.
4. Failure means you're finally in the game.
5. Be FOR each other.
6. Believe in yourself, demand the ball.
7. Lead with humanity; cultivate leaders.
8. You are not alone, you've got your pack.
Katy
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this 10 stars, I would.
Kate (kate_reads_)
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wolfpack is a quick, powerful read with some very strong messages for women. The book grew out of Abby Wambach’s 2018 commencement speech to Barnard’s graduating class.

This book would make a great graduation gift or “just because” gift to women you know who need a quick pep talk and reminder of their power and leadership.

To end with a quote from the book:

“There is a wolf inside of every woman. Her wolf is who she was made to be before the world told her who to be. Her wolf is her talent, her po
Steph
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing

“If we follow the rules we’ve always followed, the game will remain the same. Old ways of thinking will never help us build a new world.”

“There is a wolf inside of every woman. Her wolf is who she was made to be before the world told her who to be.”

“CALL TO THE WOLFPACK:
Be grateful.
But do not JUST be grateful.
Be grateful AND brave.
Be grateful AND ambitious.
Be grateful AND righteous.
Be grateful AND persistent.
Be grateful AND loud.
Be grateful for what you have AND demand what you deserve.”

“You
Molly
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great, little inspirational read to be devoured in one quick sitting. I never watched or read her commencement address that precipitated and inspired this, but I certainly will now. And as a coach of my eight year old daughter's soccer and softball teams, I am inspired to share some of the "rules" and messages Wambach shares with my young players. I'll admit it sort of left me with an easier said than done type of feeling, but inspiring nonetheless.
Carly Schnable
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's Abby-freaking-Wambach. I listened to the commencement speech that inspired this novel last year, and I still think about it so much. The "rules" that Wambach lays out may seem simple, but they're actually so revolutionary. Think about how different the world would be if every person decided to own up to their inherent power. Even better, think about a world where we are all in the same wolfpack, all fighting for each other and creating space and opportunity for people to lead.

The idea that
Lisa
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wolfpack by Abby Wambach was a book I picked up in the bookstore flipped through and saw how few words are in it and thought 'I can read that in one sitting and not have to buy it.' As a former bookseller, I judge books sometimes by the large margins and the massive spaces between words. This looked like one of those. However when I sat down to read it, the seemingly simple words combined to make complex ideas. It issued challenges to how I live my life and how to show up when reaching for my go ...more
Mindy
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t say I was a huge Wambach fan before this. I didn’t dislike her but I also wasn’t drawn to her in any way. For this reason, I wasn’t overly compelled to read this book but I’m so glad I did. I follow her and her wife on social media and admire them and agree w/Their message of love and acceptance but before this book, I honestly thought Glennon was the brains and humor behind the duo. I got this vibe that Abby was more ego than anything. So wrong. So, so wrong. The message in Wolfpack was ...more
David
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much. It's a quick read about rewriting the rules of life in a way that's very much on my wavelength. It is about humanity, compassion, vulnerability, teamwork, learning from each other, and how everyone can (and should) be a leader in their own way. Basically everything I like plus some self-deprecating stories about Abby's life and career. A must for fans of A Feminist Manifesto and Chris Gethard's Lose Well philosophy.
Becki
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little book. It's a war cry for women everywhere. Abby brought leadership and community into everyday situations and shared how lift one another up not only in times of success but also in failure. It's a pocket size gift of motivation, sisterhood, and endurance.
Martise's Book Cl...: Old Rules Reformed 1 1 Mar 08, 2020 08:17PM

• Dare to Lead
  • More Myself: A Journey
  • The National Team: The Inside Story of the Women who Changed Soccer
  • City of Girls
  • Life Will Be the Death of Me: . . . and You Too!
  • Know My Name: A Memoir
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
  • On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness
  • How to Be an Antiracist
ABBY WAMBACH is a two-time Olympic gold medalist, FIFA World Cup Champion, and the highest all-time international goal scorer for male and female soccer players. She is an activist for equality and inclusion and the New York Times bestselling author of Forward: A Memoir. Abby is co-founder of Wolfpack Endeavor, which is revolutionizing leadership development for women in the workplace and beyond t ...more

Articles featuring this book

Summer Reading is sponsored by Lifetime’s Book to Screen Movies. Authors tend to be very well-read people. To help you find some excelle...
“Failure is not something to be ashamed of—nor is it proof of unworthiness. Failure is something to be powered by. When we live afraid to fail, we don’t take risks. We don’t bring our entire selves to the table—so we end up failing before we even begin. Let’s stop worrying: What if I fail? Instead, let’s promise ourselves: When I fail, I’ll stick around.” 11 likes
“You might find yourself holding a baby instead of a briefcase and fearing that your colleagues are “getting ahead” and leaving you behind. Here’s what’s important: You are allowed to be disappointed when it feels like life’s benched you. What you aren’t allowed to do is miss your opportunity to lead from the bench. If you’re not a leader on the bench, don’t call yourself a leader on the field. You’re either a leader everywhere or nowhere.” 6 likes