Start by marking “Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)” as Want to Read:
Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)

Deep Six

(Dirk Pitt #7)

Another “impossible to put down” (Houston Chronicle) classic Dirk Pitt adventure from the New York Times bestselling author of the NUMA Files and the Sam and Remi Fargo Adventures.

A deadly tide of poison flows into ocean waters. A ghost ship drifts across the empty northern Pacific. A luxury Soviet liner blazes into a funeral pyre. The Presidential yacht cruises the
Mass Market Paperback, 535 pages
Published January 1st 2006 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1984)

Start your review of Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
Thomas Strömquist
One of two Cusslers I've read - this one is so over the top it feels that he's kind of the Ed Wood of thriller writing. As such, it is quite enjoyable, but if you like your stories to be about things that can actually happen and heroes that could be real people, skip this one.
Feliks
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-thrillers
After this chapter in the Dirk Pitt saga, its really time to call a halt. Sensible, rational, self-respecting readers should all retreat, beyond this point.

Its the last of the Pitt episodes which has any kind of credibility or plausibility whatsoever.

Clive Cussler (the author) unfortunately, does not know when to stop with this goofy series. He is dazzled by his name on movie posters and on supermarket check-out aisle paperback racks.

An author of grossly immodest self-appraisal, overweening
NebulousGloom (FK)
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
It seems like each time I start reading a Clive Cussler book I finish the first chapter and say, "Oh my god this guy can write." This was no exception. This story is quick, entertaining, and thoroughly enjoyable. As I noted last time, it also has too many coincidences, takes on plot elements so big that they verge on ridiculous and diverges sharply from reality. This doesn't bother me, although I admit that I think that Tom Clancy does a better job with realism. On the other hand, I don't think ...more
Matt
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, 2019-reads
Death is stalking the coastline of Alaska and on the Potomac River the President and the first three men in succession are kidnapped, these two events have thing in common and soon Dirk Pitt will figure out what. Deep Six is the seventh installment in Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series, featuring the titular protagonist racing to stop a deadly nerve agent on one coast before getting wrapped up in a constitutional crisis when the President is kidnapped and subjected to mind manipulation leading to ...more
Susan
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book, bard
These books are always exciting and informative. The way Pitt disposed of the villain wasn’t typical, which also intrigued me. I’m in the process of listening to any books in the series I might have missed. So, onto the next one.
Barb
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book, but for some reason I had trouble keeping my attention. Maybe it was just me, but with so many characters and everything going every which way, it sometimes lost me. It was definitely unpredictable, to be honest, I'm not sure what happened to some of the characters. I did enjoy reading it, it was just a bit hard to keep track at points!
Mark Harrison
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ridiculous plot as a Korean matriarch, on behalf of the Soviet Union, kidnaps the hierarchy of the USA and then brainwashes the President. Pitt gets involved and saves the day against incredible odds. Couple of interesting additions to his team in Perlmeter and Hiram Yaeger and nice to see Loren Smith return as a love interest who is more substantial than others in this series. Vaguely enjoyable but that is all.
Debra Johnson
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery, suspense
Deep Six by Clive Cussler

Genres; Action/Adventure, Crime, Mystery, Suspense

4 Stars

Published March 22nd 1984 by Hamish Hamilton
This was one of the books in my previous mentioned 'Gold Mine' at a yard sell purchases.
I will not freak Mr. Cussler out on what I paid for this gem. However, I often wonder what went on behind the closed doors of the woman who sold them to me after her husband found out. Hmmm
This was definitely on of my top favorites on the Dirk Pitt series.
The intrigue, to me, seemed
Tony
Dec 23, 2007 rated it liked it
I cannot say that I disliked the book, but I'm not sure that I need to read another Cussler story. He's a good writer, in that action and adventure sort of way, where leading men are strong, moral and all of the women love them. His stories are well plotted, lots happens, not necessarily by the way of surprise plot twists, but the action scenes are well thought out with the hero racing from one predicament to the next. At the end of the book, the hero saves the damsel and the villain perishes. ...more
Melissa Ann
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the better books I have read in a long time, excellent thriller. You have just got to love how Cussler pulls all these seemingly random strands together.
Alan Cook
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is a lot of science fiction in this book and the prose is often clunky, but it doesn't lack for suspense, especially at the climax. Dirk Pitt has at least nine lives and possibly a lot more since this is the seventh book featuring him. The author is very knowledgeable about diving and salvage operations, and this expertise is evident. The book has a lot of characters that are difficult to keep track of, since they are often mentioned by just their names rather than a title or affiliation. ...more
Kristen
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
In the 7th installment of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt NUMA action-adventure series, Deep Six, Dirk Pitt returned in this thrilling novel. A deadly tide of poison flowed into the ocean, a ghost ship drifted across an empty ocean, while a Soviet liner went on fire, and the Presidential yacht cruised across the Potomac while the President disappeared without a trace. Dirk and Al took on a sinister Asian shipping empire and fought to save the country, while seizing one moment for revenge.
Hassaan Anjum
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Typical action, one man army hero type novel. A good read for people liking such novels.
Roopkumar Balachandran
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
My 9th outing with Dirk Pitt adventures.

Clive Cussler the master storyteller, this is yet another feather to his cap. I was awestruck by his skill of interweaving various sub plots in the story.

The novel starts in the year 1966, with Arta Casilighio the teller of Beverly-Wilshire bank steals 120000 dollars and hatches a plan to escape from San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand in a cargo ship, but she was killed by Korean seamen.

Another sub story, in Augustine Island, Alaska a poison leak in
Colin Winter
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bravo, Clive Cussler, you've done it again! This was recommended to me a few weeks ago, and I saw it the other day. I don't read much adventure, preferring fantasy or science fiction, so my curiosity was piqued. I just finished it, and I have to say, my expectations were blown out of the water! The plot was riveting and fast paced, keeping me hooked until the end. I love Clive's style of writing, drawing you in with a fascinating prologue. Once the story begins, it seems the plot thickens and ...more
Darcey McKay
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Deep Six is Clive Cussler's seventh Dirk Pitt adventure and for most people reading it, they would have read at least some of the other Pitt adventures. Those people know what to expect from Cussler and would be more than satisfied with another tale of a marine engineer saving the free world once again. For myself, I would probably lump myself into that category as well. Cussler is into a groove by this point in the mid-80s, at that's not necessarily a bad thing.

An Asian shipping empire, Cold
Brian
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another Cussler masterpiece.

What can I say. Dirk Pitt saves us all once again, from the Machiavellian wiles of an evil Shipping magnate with ambitions to take over the US government.

As I have come to expect from Custler, the writing is high standard, and the story keeps you enthralled and tuning pages.

One thing struck me as fascinating. The main story line in this book is about a US President who is 'got at' by the Russians, then begins making irrational decisions, ignores advice, sacks all his
Shane Phillips
Ok, this was creepy. Set in 1980's, the book is about the president being manipulated by the Russians. As I type this indictments went out to arrest 13 Russians who manipulated the 2016 election and potential collusion by Trump. This story was fun and while the technology is non-existent even today, it works.
Wolf (Alpha)
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
This was a great read. After reading The Silent Sea, I had to read this one. The mystery was amazing and kept me reading this book. I loved the mystery behind the President’s disappearance. This book was intriguing and very interesting. If you are looking for a good read with tons of action, definitely read this one. The characters were amazing and it was great. Overall 5 stars.
karen wescott
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Always eager to have Dirk Pitt rescue the world when he defeats the evildoers.
Neil
It has been about five years since I last read this book, and I enjoyed revisiting it. Even with being a shorter book, it still moves at a brisk pace overall (some parts of the book do slow down a bit, but the author was able to maintain the general pacing of the book, for the most part). I was surprised at the ending of the “section” (chapter) right before the final chapter in the book, to be honest, with the way it ended. Dirk and Al seemed more ‘human’ in this book, especially Dirk towards ...more
Randy Tramp
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The prologue pulled me right into the story. The action continued, the tension increased.

Years ago, while in the Navy, I fell in love with being on ships. This story brought naval memories. So much happens in this story, scuba diving, ship traveling, mystery solving, to name only a few.

Even though I thought the plot was a little far-fetched, I enjoyed it anyway. President kidnapped and brain-washed.

I look forward to more Dirk Pitt adventures.
Jack Laschenski
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Typical, exotic Cussler.

The President is kidnapped and the Russians plant a mind control chip in his head.

He declares the US a dictatorship.

Deadly poison in the Artic ocean.

A huge fleet of ships stolen.

Ugly, brutal Korean family is responsible for it all.

Can Dirk Pitt help?? Of course, but not until the last pagef1
Teo Hoppe
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Clive Cussler has made a very successful career at producing fast paced, entertaining adventures which provide us with a clean cut hero in the form of Dirk Pitt as he finds himself battling yet another villain out to ruin the world.
While Cussler's fans, who number in the legions, faithfully purchase each new novel as it comes out, there has been a change in the novels as they have become longer in length, with more exotic locales and more fantastic in their stories.
Deep Six is one of the older
Christian D.  Orr
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Action fans, thriller fans,Clive Cussler fans
Classic, vintage Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt novel that still holds its entertainment value even having read it three times (first at age 11,then again in my late 20s, and now at the ripe ol' age of 40). The great action, humor, geographical and nautical adventure, plot twists, and intriguing characters that made Clive's early Dirk Pitt books so great. Certain elements of the novel are dated, such as the existence of (1) the World Trade Center and (2) the Soviet Union (but then again, given how the ...more
Brooke
Oct 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, thriller
This actually ended up being better than I expected. After being disappointed by too many books in a row, I decided to go for the next Dirk Pitt novel on my TBR list. I figured that at least I'd know I was getting into melodramatic and over-the-top situations. Clive and Dirk delivered what I was looking for and then some - a Russian scheme to brainwash the President of the United States, emotional promises of vengeance coupled with pounding fists, and a half a dozen ridiculous reasons for female ...more
John Shumway
Nov 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the same comment for all the Dirk Pitt books:
Great set of books, I had to stagger these books into my reading rotation since they are so similar.
Dirk Series Book in less then 50 words.
(introduction to bad guy, introduction to hot chick, introduction to Dirk, Dirk gets in impossible dangerous situations to stop the bad guy, Dirk wins, Dirk gets the hot chick.)
Paul Andrews
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another strong early Dirk Pitt adventure that I loved. Once again a cool mix of history, international intrigue, and one of the best villainess of the series. These earlier Cussler novels are amongst his best in my opinion.
Aleksandra
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic.
Ashlee
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cussler
Yet another reread... and each Cussler I pick up gets better than the last! I am remembering why I loved these so much!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Mirage by Clive Cussler - Reviewed
  • The Einstein Pursuit (Payne & Jones #8)
  • The Cassandra Compact (Covert-One, #2)
  • The Cardinal of the Kremlin (Jack Ryan, #4)
  • Bodemloos
  • I tystnaden begravd
  • The Prophecy (Payne & Jones, #5)
  • Memoirs of a Buccaneer: Dampier's New Voyage Round the World, 1697
  • 1788: The Brutal Truth of the First Fleet
  • Rusteloos
  • Alles wat in dit boek staat is waar
  • The Sum of All Fears (Jack Ryan, #6)
  • Debt of Honor (Jack Ryan, #7)
  • October Skies
  • Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)
  • The X-Files: Goblins (The X-Files #1)
  • The Golden Orange
  • The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)